• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using the word '****' when pertaining to video games and other stuff...

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Someone made a thread earlier about the word gay, and nothing was accomplished. You can't force people to change how they talk, that's the reality of it. If you don't like saying it, then continue to not say it, but people generally don't like to be told what to say and do, especially on the internet, so good luck with this thread.
how many ****ing times do I have to say it. HOW MANY ****ING TIMES. WERE NOT TRYING TO CONVERT YOU, YOU DOLT. SHUT. UP. This goes to the rest of you who insist that we are trying to tell you what to say.

~P

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I don't actually use ****. I used "owned" or "pwned." I think it's rather blatant to use it in gaming.

Although I do have a Primeape in my Pokemon Diamond nicknamed "MonkeyRape," hahaha.

-Terywj

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Now who's being ignorant? You say it's not okay to go around offending people (which is obviously true), and that using your personal experiences with people in a certain group to form an image about the whole is not okay (example: you're friend that was ***** is okay with it....) but then immediately do the same.

Of course you don't have to use such derogotary words yourself, but you are hardly in any position to criticize others for doing so.

Why focus on this one particular word? What makes this one word so much worse than the rest? I am of the opinion that the words themselves should have no real impact, only the meaning (IN CONTEXT) behind the words should. To me and many others within the community (I assume) the phrase "man, you just got *****," is in no way more offensive than "man, you just got destroyed," (in fact the opposite may be true, simply because the word "destroyed" takes longer to say and is often more memorable) When using the word ****, we have absolutely no intention of downplaying such a very serious action. It is just using the alternate meaning of a word, as words meanings are determined by how they are used, NOT the other way around.

If you got the majority of your community to use the word "yank," in the manor you described, then I would take being called yank as an insult, because of the implied meaning. In that context it would not be a derogatory term to refer to Americans as, it would simply mean "idiot" and I would take it as such (and still be offended at being called an idiot <_<.) Words are only a part of what we use to communicate, and as long as the message is understood then it shouldn't really matter what word is used.

Of course that's just my personal opinion, and is my reasoning for interchanging derogatory terms when insulting somebody. It is also the reason I'm not insulted when such terms are used while trying to compliment me (dude, that last combo was "****"), or used in a more playful manner (close friend saying "oh ****, did you see that? I totally destroyed your last stock!"), as I'm not really too personally offended by small bits of gloating in the first place.

So what you're really asking for (or rather simply bringing to others attention) is that people be nicer to each other.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you would probably be offended by any remarks designed to belittle a player, or anything that would represent gloating (understandably of course, as that is the sole purpose of the remarks). So the word "****" itself isn't really all that important, as similarly used terms (in this context) such as destroy, trash, own, ect convey the same message. Are those any better? And if so, why?
Sure it's the feeling, but to use such a word? Honestly, please use something different.

Brick_Top

Smash Apprentice
how many ****ing times do I have to say it. HOW MANY ****ING TIMES. WERE NOT TRYING TO CONVERT YOU, YOU DOLT. SHUT. UP. This goes to the rest of you who insist that we are trying to tell you what to say.

~P
this is what the op said -

INCORRECT WAYS TO USE THE WORD '****:'
1. wow u got ***** lol (when said while playing a video game)
2. this thread is ****
3. ahhh ****
4. god im gettin ****in ***** by dat sniper

How is this trying not to convert? He lists ways in which people should not use the word ****. I took what he just said as telling me how to talk. I know how to talk. I know what words are coming out of my mouth. I know why I used them and what intentions I have when I say them. When I tell someone "get *****", I don't actually want them to be *****, it's just a video game expression for being owned. Nothing more than that. And apparently that is really hard for some people to grasp. Maybe you aren't trying to convert anybody, and I respect that, but if you read the first post, he is telling people what to do, and you wonder why this thread gets negative responses. If you want to have a serious debate about the use of words, you don't go to the internet, because you will get owned (or *****, because that's how people talk online) and you won't get any respect because frankly, most people don't give a ****, and it's funny to troll.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't bother using **** or gay in gaming contexts. Instead, I use slaughtered and bull(****). For example, in normal usage:

I got totally ***** by by that Meta Knight. and
**** Meta Knight and his gay tatics.

I just go with these

I was totally slaughtered by that Meta Knight. and
**** Meta Knight and his bull****.

I go with these simply because I don't care for the other terms, especially gay since I find the use of it that way to be immature when a more acceptable, more accurate term is available. However, I use the term **** in other contexts on occasion.

Jonas

Smash Champion
The word "killer" is sometimes used to describe something which is really good/awesome/shiny etc. Now, some people know someone who got killed (by a killer). Does that mean it's insensitive to use the word "killer"? Murder is, after all, worse than **** (kmay be different from person to person but at least I think murder is worse :embarrass ). I've never heard of anyone who got offended by careless use of the word "killer".

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
The word "killer" is sometimes used to describe something which is really good/awesome/shiny etc. Now, some people know someone who got killed (by a killer). Does that mean it's insensitive to use the word "killer"? Murder is, after all, worse than **** (kmay be different from person to person but at least I think murder is worse :embarrass ). I've never heard of anyone who got offended by careless use of the word "killer".
The fact that you think "Get *****" and "that's killer" is daunting. "Killer" is derived from a term to mean something is "good" or "positive"... Telling someone to get ***** is anything but that. Your comparison is irrelevant, I'm almost inclined to believe you're trolling because of how ridiculous that claim is.

What you said is like saying someone had a friend who somehow froze to death and was offended whenever someone used the word "cool." There is a big and surely relevant difference when it comes to the polarity and intent of the word.

And you were right to catch yourself after you said murder was worse than ****... Otherwise you'd have a totally different #$%@storm coming your way.

And to earlier posts, maybe I wasn't trying to change you and he is... So what? Did you ever think outside of your little boxes and take into consideration that he's right? I mean just because all of you guys can say it comfortably around someone who has been ***** (which by the way I have reason to believe is false justification for wrong-doing... but who's counting) doesn't mean it's OK! Because someone somewhere may or is going to be offended. Now if you don't give a ****, that's a different story... Then you really have something wrong with you, and I have the utmost confidence in telling you that.

Think about it

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I find it somewhat ironic that you have the audacity to label someone else's opinion as ridiculous, and then preach to us about what you think is right.

I'm not trying to be mean, but hypocrisy doesn't help your argument. :(

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
"What was it like being *****?"

...e-ever played Halo? It's like being melee'd with a gravity hammer. ;;__;;

/troll/

--

While the word is insensitive to some, it's no better then everyone who says that something is gay. You don't see every homosexual getting all riled up when they hear the word being said in a disapproving light. And by that, I mean say that you're fighting Meta Knight in Brawl and all he does is Tornado.

"Dude, that's gay." The word's been stretched. We're not calling a Tornado move in Smash Bros. a homosexual. We're calling it stupid.

It's like, "Dude, get *****." They're getting owned. The word's being stretched. Though...in your defense too, the actual action behind the term "****" usually involves someone getting owned anyway.

But you get what I mean.

bobson

Smash Lord
I am offended by your use of "C4SH" as a name. I have not gone bankrupt myself, but I do know that many people have been forced to live in poverty most of their lives. The fact that you use such a name and avatar casually like that when it only serves to remind the millions of people who suffer from poverty on a daily basis of their horrible lives is appalling.

Edit: I am also offended by Falco's use of "trolling" as a negative term. Trollers are people with feelings, too. How would you feel if your mother's only source of income was her career in catching fish by trolling? There's no reason to use such offensive language when there are reasonable and more accurate substitutes, such as "people who are mean on the internet."

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ok, so I'm guessing we should continue unecessarily using a word which will offend some, possibly traumatise others, and that young children's parents will not want them exposed to, all simply because we simply don't want to change?.

It's good to see we're doing our part for the community......

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so I'm guessing we should continue unecessarily using a word which will offend some, possibly traumatise others, and that young children's parents will not want them exposed to, all simply because we simply don't want to change?.

QFT.

/10agreements

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Frustrated about getting *****? Just another one of those scrubs.

lol truth

I use owned instead of ****.

doesn't quite have the same ring it doesn't quite flow off the tongue.

people arguing against these words should realize that language is meant to evolve the word **** is changing into a much more versatile word, it no longer simply describes an act of sexual violence, but can be used in a variety of contexts outside of its original meaning.

consider this sentence

"coconut water *****"

what I mean is that coconut water is awesome, this sentence does not however imply that forcefully ejaculating in a female is awesome.

I don't see what the problem is. **** doesn't just refer to forced sex anymore

let the language evolve as it pleases.

in fact the evolution if the word **** has made it less violent not more

and using the word **** depends entirely on context, as many people have stated previously

Intent is what matters!

Suspect

Smash Hero
I'm not even gonna lie, i use to say it (not that much)

Now it's extremely annoying. You can thank Cali for that

Brightside6382

Smash Lord

Or maybe you can stop being overly sensitive?

Every demographic will find some type of word/phrase offending but like everyone already stated intent is all that matters.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's a word, so it already has meaning.

It's like saying until you apply meaning to a swear word you can say it infront of little kids.

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
Even if you're just trolling, that's just really low and pathetic.

Although to be honest, low and pathetic is kinda expected on Smashboards, you're always going to get that with adolescents.

Kinda like how people are saying 'you can't change the way people talk etc'. Yeah because it's perfectly ok going around offending people...

And saying you know who someone who's been ***** and isn't offended by it doesn't mean anything, because 1. There will be plenty of others who are offended by it, I personally know of some who would be, and 2. you don't have to be *****, jew, black, gay etc. to be offended by said ignorance.

I acutally WASN'T trolling, was just putting my opinion out there. As for those who make their time that they got ***** their whole life, is pathetic. To be completley honest, I think it's rediculous that people make traumatic experiences (no matter what it is) the basis of their whole life is stupid. Grow a pair and get over it.

As for the whole offending thing, who cares? Everything in language is offending, and you're telling me you're a saint for calling ME patheticc? Don't pull the holier than thou crap on me, everyone is guilty. "He who has not sinned, cast the first stone" is soemthing you should learn from. Kay?

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The word **** is most likely going to die out like how people don't use Gnarly or Haynes, (lol Bill and Ted) but I don't think crying about the matter is going to get anywhere nor is trying to stop others from using it, because in reality if your going to try to limit their speech in any way their going to use it just to spite you.

Jonas

Smash Champion
The fact that you think "Get *****" and "that's killer" is daunting. "Killer" is derived from a term to mean something is "good" or "positive"... Telling someone to get ***** is anything but that. Your comparison is irrelevant, I'm almost inclined to believe you're trolling because of how ridiculous that claim is.
I honestly still don't see the difference, but maybe that's just because I'm a ridiculous troll.
I agree that telling something to "get *****" isn't very nice (at best it's telling someone to lose a match. Kinda insulting), but that's not the only way to use the word. You could say "that guy ***** at this game", which means the same as "that guy is killer at this game". Both sentences establish that that guy is really good at this game, and both the words are used in a positive light, totally ignoring anyone who got ***** and/or killed and anyone who know someone who got ***** and/or killed.

What you said is like saying someone had a friend who somehow froze to death and was offended whenever someone used the word "cool." There is a big and surely relevant difference when it comes to the polarity and intent of the word.
Your point is..?
I am saying that it is ridiculous to get offended by casual uses of the words "****" and "killer", much like it is ridiculous to get offended by someone saying "cool".

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
lol truth

doesn't quite have the same ring it doesn't quite flow off the tongue.

people arguing against these words should realize that language is meant to evolve the word **** is changing into a much more versatile word, it no longer simply describes an act of sexual violence, but can be used in a variety of contexts outside of its original meaning.

consider this sentence

"coconut water *****"

what I mean is that coconut water is awesome, this sentence does not however imply that forcefully ejaculating in a female is awesome.

I don't see what the problem is. **** doesn't just refer to forced sex anymore

let the language evolve as it pleases.

in fact the evolution if the word **** has made it less violent not more

and using the word **** depends entirely on context, as many people have stated previously

Intent is what matters!

Don't justify saying the word **** casually by pinning it on the evolution of the English language, that's totally irrelevant. The English language "evolved" the latin derivative "niger" into "negro" and the into the most infamous derogatory term in the English vernacular we now know to be "The N Word." So we evolved from using its original meaning into one of the most vile terms in history, well! I guess that's just what happens right? Wrong. Just because we "evolve" doesnt justify it. Listen to me people.

*There is NO WAY you can justify using this word casually.*

Why do you even try justifying it? Do you realize that you're advocating for the use of this term in a casual light? Step outside yourselves for a second and think about that, I mean jesus, it gives me goosebumps.

It is immoral, inhumane, has no positive impact on you or the community (frankly it makes you look like an ignorant child.) It's not "evolving" it's being desensitized, which is the bane of growth among adolescence these days. And yeah, everything's desensitizing the youth, but that doesn't mean we need to perpetuate it with unnecessary utilization of an extremely offensive word.

I ask of you to do what very few humans can do correctly. Put aside all of your biases, your family, your community, your environment, your upbringing, everything, and just think in a 100% humanitarian way, think the use of this word, how it should and shouldn't be used, and how it impacts who you are and what you stand for when you use it.

If after doing this, you find that it's OK. Well, that being my problem is over.

Your point is..?
I am saying that it is ridiculous to get offended by casual uses of the words "****" and "killer", much like it is ridiculous to get offended by someone saying "cool".
Hope this helps...
Like I said... The fact that you consider "****" to be on par with a term such as "Killer" is daunting. First of "****" is an act, ok? A "killer" is a person... When you take into consideration that the act of being ***** is probably the most traumatic experience a human being can endure, and "killer" just means someone who kills people, you begin to draw the line between the two... Do you see where I'm going with this?

And who are you to tell me what I should and should not be offended by?... In fact, who are you to tell anyone what they should and shouldnt be offended by? I'm not insulted by that or anything, but you have no say in what offends people, only yourself.

Hope this provides some insight

~P

bobson

Smash Lord
Don't justify saying the word **** casually by pinning it on the evolution of the English language, that's totally irrelevant. The English language "evolved" the latin derivative "niger" into "negro" and the into the most infamous derogatory term in the English vernacular we now know to be "The N Word." So we evolved from using its original meaning into one of the most vile terms in history, well! I guess that's just what happens right? Wrong. Just because we "evolve" doesnt justify it. Listen to me people.
I really hope you realize that this example made absolutely no sense.

BurningSoul

Smash Cadet
"****" may be a common term in gaming slang, but I agree with MOP on this one. Personally I don't have a problem with it, but that doesn't mean someone else won't have an issue with it neither. Every person is different regardless of their awareness in gaming slang. And the thing about language evolving to defend the use of the term "****" lightly is ignorant.

Yes words change their meaning over time but here in this era, "****" still refers to an act of forceful sexual violence. I'm not saying to stop using the word completely, but in society we should consider the feelings of others and be careful of what we say in public. Yes, internet is public in case someone wants to argue against that.

As for "Oh! I have friends who have been ***** and they don't have a problem with me using the word" Not only is that wrong in most cases but that's even more ignorant than the evolution of the English language argument if you ask me. How do you know they blow it off because they don't want to think about it. For most people not only is **** traumatizing but it's also very humiliating to talk about which adds to or supports the trauma.

I will say that there may be some people who are over it, which is possible and also a good thing, but most people who are a victim of the crime do not at least until later stages of their life. Again "****" still has it's meaning of being forced into sex, in which most cases is not very enjoyable so we should consider that.

If its used as gamer slang it's fine but if you use it lightly but if someone asks you not to consider that persons feelings and refrain from using it. By the way in case someone is going to ask, no I didn't get *****. Almost did though but it's not the same as actually getting *****. And I know someone who has gotten ***** and she still hates the use of the word being taken lightly. To her it feels as though like her traumatic experience is being made fun of.

But the point is, try to be a little more tactful around people. If someone has a problem with you using a certain term, just try not to use it around him or her. Seriously don't be an ******* and say "why can't I use that word?" or anything like "Are you trying to convert me?" That's just stupid. I'm all for expressing oneself, but in this world you really should censor yourself a little bit around people, it'll at least make life a little bit easier (although that's possible it is hard to notice in most cases).

I know people are going to flame me for this post. If so let it be. Let them flaunt their stupidity.

(LOL long post is long)

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
This argument can't be won....just let them alone, xD. I tried this with keeping commentary clean of profanity (or at least limited)....it just doesn't work. I personally have never seen pro commentary laced with profanity. (WWE and any other wrestling is the closest you'll probably get.)

People just won't change their ways...or even see it your way. You're talking to a brick wall with ear muffs.

BurningSoul

Smash Cadet
This argument can't be won....just let them alone, xD. I tried this with keeping commentary clean of profanity (or at least limited)....it just doesn't work. I personally have never seen pro commentary laced with profanity. (WWE and any other wrestling is the closest you'll probably get.)

People just won't change their ways...or even see it your way. You're talking to a brick wall with ear muffs.
I realize that, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

...and increase my post count *pawnch'd*

bobson

Smash Lord
As for "Oh! I have friends who have been ***** and they don't have a problem with me using the word" Not only is that wrong in most cases but that's even more ignorant than the evolution of the English language argument if you ask me. How do you know they blow it off because they don't want to think about it. For most people not only is **** traumatizing but it's also very humiliating to talk about which adds to or supports the trauma.
You are not quite clear on what's going on here. We are not walking up to them and saying "HOW WAS IT THAT NIGHT WHEN HE TIED YOU DOWN WITH YOUR BACKPACK STRAPS AND FORCED YOU TO HAVE SEX WITH HIM, HUH??" We're saying "hahaha, he got owned." They understand this, because they have the minimal amount of sense required to realize that if you get offended over words that have no intent of offense behind them you will live a miserable life.

If someone who's actually been ***** is still having a problem with the word and mentions it, the majority of us here aren't going to be ***** about it and will just watch what we say. Until that happens, the only people being offended by this word are the Moral Crusaders who believe it's their job to get offended so other people don't have to. And, frankly, **** those people. If they get offended and leave, good ****ing riddance.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
*sigh* posts like that make me ashamed to be a human being. There are people who are just too timid to stick up for themselves. By the way...those kind of people are the people who become like the columbine kids, and the like. Yeah, I went there, because there was something said that irked me.

Incoming wall of text because I need to rant on some stuff that was said:

There are people in this world that others just feel they have to offend or make fun of to make themselves feel better. Then people wonder why Americans are looked down upon so badly.

Bobson: [The ones who are OVER zelous in their sticking up for people are the ones you need to worry about. However...if someone just says, "Yo...ease up...it's making so-and-so uncomfortable."I don't see anything wrong with that. There's an extreme to everything. There's also an acceptable realm.]

All in all...tact and consdieration for other people are what's important. As far as usage of the terms in question....most people know when and when not to use them. Note the key word: most. There are just some real a-holes out there.

Case in point....people need to learn to grow the heck up and not be needlessly harassing other people. Also they need to stop being so quick to quote "freedom of speech" as well. Because I ASSURE you that when the tables are turned on them, and they think someone is out of line, they won't stand by it. Tell me..is that something to go to jail for or die for....just because you don't like someone...what they said...or furthermore how they look? Oppression is one thing...petty quarells are another.

I for one...won't go to jail because some idiot wants to try and pick a fight with me. Self-defense laws don't work in NJ, so if I beat someone for trying to hurt me I'M going to jail. It's best to swallow your pride in some cases and let someone be right. Better than be surprised butt ***** by some guy named Mary in jail. I can ignore a "N**** moment" for that. Everyone has them because that word in proper usage is someone who is ignorant.

Yeah...I used **** in a non-gaming term. =p

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Don't get too hyped up on what people say just ignore them, and don't create a thread on some internet site saying I hate the word ..... because all your going to get is crap from from one side and even more from the other.

bobson

Smash Lord
However...if someone just says, "Yo...ease up...it's making so-and-so uncomfortable."I don't see anything wrong with that.
I agree that there is nothing wrong with that, and if it was actually making anyone uncomfortable, there would be a very simple solution. Falco coming in here and saying we are immoral, inhumane and ignorant children because we use the word, on the other hand, is a problem.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Case in point....people need to learn to grow the heck up and not be needlessly harassing other people. Also they need to stop being so quick to quote "freedom of speech" as well. Because I ASSURE you that when the tables are turned on them, and they think someone is out of line, they won't stand by it. Tell me..is that something to go to jail for or die for....just because you don't like someone...what they said...or furthermore how they look? Oppression is one thing...petty quarells are another.

I for one...won't go to jail because some idiot wants to try and pick a fight with me. Self-defense laws don't work in NJ, so if I beat someone for trying to hurt me I'M going to jail. It's best to swallow your pride in some cases and let someone be right. Better than be surprised butt ***** by some guy named Mary in jail. I can ignore a "N**** moment" for that. Everyone has them because that word in proper usage is someone who is ignorant.
What does any of this have to do with the topic? You need some verbal antidiarrheal medicine

Jonas

Smash Champion
First of "****" is an act, ok? A "killer" is a person... When you take into consideration that the act of being ***** is probably the most traumatic experience a human being can endure, and "killer" just means someone who kills people
Yeah, that's not that bad. It's not like a killer ***** people. He just kills them.

Top Bottom