• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
The guy asked me to run melee, but I dont think we are gonna get >10 people for it T_T. Also just a forwarning the venue is expensive but you get catered for 3 days.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Thats not true.

The guy WANTS to get everything catere, but im 95% sure hes not going to get the registrations and the hotel bookings necessary to get that catering deal.

Either way 25bux is preh gud for 3 days

:phone:

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Thats not true.

The guy WANTS to get everything catere, but im 95% sure hes not going to get the registrations and the hotel bookings necessary to get that catering deal.

Either way 25bux is preh gud for 3 days

I don't quite understand. $25 = venue fee? I was under the impression we'd just show up for a day like normal.

And the Bo9 CM is confirmed.

Edit: This brings back fond memories of going 45-0 in CoD4

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I talked to some people and I think Binghamton can finally host a tournament! Tentatively setting the date for the first Binghamton tournament on April 13th.

The thread will go up when our room reservation goes through.

Zhea

Smash Ace
If I am still in NY at the time (job hunting atm) I will def get down there for that.

Also super pumped for some melee after apex, I know I have asked this before, but I figure I would check again. Anyone from the Central New York are up for playing? I live in Oneida which is sort of between Syracuse, Utica, and Rome. I've been playing with Flaw lately and I've gotten significantly better for it and I want to expand the number of people I play before Syracuse Max. Anyone interested?

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
That's awesome, dudutsai! I hope maybe we can get some of the Westchester/NYC/LI/PA players to that, since it's a bit closer to them.

Also I've been looking to host Utican 2. Though I was more interested for April 13th I'll try and shoot for the second to last or last week in March. Not changing much except the rulesets and maybe adding doubles this time around.

Someone should hit up Zandaa and ask him about that circuit again, I think we'll have enough tourneys this time.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Zandaa is going to graduate soon so he may or may not be able to do this. Trilock is currently the smash club president at RPI. Zandaa is doing a BEST this may though.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
There's really not much to running a circuit. I'd assign points for placement in each tournament, and save a percentage of the pot for a championship bonus and/or stipends to travel to the championship. I'd also make sure there is a good championship. I know I have a big free venue, but it's out of the way for some people.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Than it better be big. And you need to get permission from EVERYONE to scrape cashoff the top on the pots for each event. Plus theres nothing stopping say, ally or m2k or hax from randomly showing up and taking a pot like that from the rest of us

Zhea

Smash Ace
Well if someone like Hax or M2K decided to show up that would definitely spike attendance, which is mission ****ing accomplished I would think. Also Erk, do you guys do any Syracuse smashfests? Oneida is not that far away and I would be interested in getting to go up against Syracuse again.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Damn I really want to falcon ditto honey again and I never get puff experience. It's also 2 hours away... I still might do it when I can get some wheels. Definitely going to hit you guys up for that tourney if I am still here.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
In my opinion I think we should roll with the circuit. We have enough tourneys and I don't see what we can lose with the circuit. If we are unsuccessful, nothing will change. If we are successful, we can increase attendance at all of our tourneys, and attract OoS players and possibly newcomers. Not to mention have more cooperation between all the different parts of our region.

I think it deserves a chance.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. There's not really a good reason not to do a circuit. Nor is there a good reason to remove the PR. It's just a fun little thing. Let it be and update it every once in a while. It gives our players a little bit of exposure in what is otherwise an oft forgotten region. Sure we're not as good as a lot of places, but pretty much every region is significantly worse than NJ/NY and that doesn't stop them from having PRs.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I want to go to that upcoming tournament but I'm not sure if I have the time. It would be a great opportunity to see how washed up I have become. :)

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
So just curious, is there anyone south of Syracuse? Manlius, Fayetteville Cazenovia, Pompey, Lafayette, etc.? I'm desperately looking for some human opponents to play for fun, and so I can get back into tourny form.

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
If you're trying to house with me during battle cry you need to pm or get in contact with me some how.

on another note, syracuse smash fests should be taken off the thread.

Top Bottom