• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately i can't stay for the sunrise tournament, as much as i want to. I totally forgot about it until after I booked my flights and it's super pricy for me to redo that. I'm a little bummed about it. I'm not even sure if i'll get to go to Tokyo because it's so expensive to get a ticket from where I am (some where around 30,000 yen there and back). I'll be visiting Kyoto and Osaka before the end of the month though. :]

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Unfortunately i can't stay for the sunrise tournament, as much as i want to. I totally forgot about it until after I booked my flights and it's super pricy for me to redo that. I'm a little bummed about it. I'm not even sure if i'll get to go to Tokyo because it's so expensive to get a ticket from where I am (some where around 30,000 yen there and back). I'll be visiting Kyoto and Osaka before the end of the month though. :]
What will you be doing in Kyoto and Osaka? O:

Also, who here is planning to/is interested in going to Dissention?

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
In Kyoto Im going to a monkey park and the Koei movie studio (I think that's what it's called). In Osaka I'm going shopping and touristy things, like visiting a Pokemon center :3

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Hey guys, just a reminder that registration to the National SKTAR tourney in NJ ends on July 9th aka 2 weeks from today. Online Registration is mandatory and must be at http://www.sktar.com Players like DEHF, Glutonny, MikeHaze, Esam, and many other are already confirmed.

Also be sure to check out the latest trailer for it if you haven't done so already

flaw

Smash Apprentice
wow i was unable to login all day today thanks to 502 bad gateway =\

nah i didn't really look though i'll just drive myself. i still have to look for housing tho

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Hey guys! I'm going to be attending Syracuse University from now until 2016...so I suppose it's safe to say that I'll be up in Syracuse extremely often.

A little bit about myself, if anyone cares: I'm from the Bronx (NYC), I play Bowser..that's really about it, lol

Omega Tyrant linked me to this thread from AiB thankfully. I was a bit anxious about the solidity of a smash scene here, but hopefully that can be shaken.

So..can someone give me the low-down about upstate smashing? :]

Thanks!

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Hey guys! I'm going to be attending Syracuse University from now until 2016...so I suppose it's safe to say that I'll be up in Syracuse extremely often.

A little bit about myself, if anyone cares: I'm from the Bronx (NYC), I play Bowser..that's really about it, lol

Omega Tyrant linked me to this thread from AiB thankfully. I was a bit anxious about the solidity of a smash scene here, but hopefully that can be shaken.

Thanks!
welcome to the land that never was. in all honesty, syracuse is proly the best smash scene we have for upstate. just because a majority of our smasher are in the area or close enough to drive there. hope you enjoy it.

also congrats, syracuse is not an easy school to get into :p

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Okay guys, weird question time.

I play Magic the Gathering occasionally on Fridays at Larger than Life Toys and Comics in Clay (Outside of Syracuse). One day, the judge pulled out a GC controller, and mentioned that there was someone who came and played Melee ocassionally. He also said that this player "went pro" a few times. Any idea who this might be? Is it any of you? Just curious.

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ill just throw it out there.

Im vastly scaling back on my gaming, and Im probably not going to anything serious until the next apex.

Sharky

Smash Master

Thanks!
It's pretty dead during the summer, unfortunately, but we will travel to stuff that's hosted in the fall, and we'll likely be smashing together rather regularly, as well. Get in touch with dan (h0leinthew0rld here) and david (dai luna here), they're also SU students.
Okay guys, weird question time.

I play Magic the Gathering occasionally on Fridays at Larger than Life Toys and Comics in Clay (Outside of Syracuse). One day, the judge pulled out a GC controller, and mentioned that there was someone who came and played Melee ocassionally. He also said that this player "went pro" a few times. Any idea who this might be? Is it any of you? Just curious.

:phone:
Not a clue =/ Doubt he ever was really pro, though, unless he was from somewhere else and just stopped by, which would also be odd lol.

@goggles: locals?

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I'm having another tournament in Troy on December 1. It's in the large room here, and I can try to attract more people. It'll probably be Brawl and Melee, but I'm out of touch with the Brawl scene. How do people locally/regionally feel about the MK ban now?

If you want to help, it's easier to get in touch with me via AIM. (Zaandaa)

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I'm having another tournament in Troy on December 1. It's in the large room here, and I can try to attract more people. It'll probably be Brawl and Melee, but I'm out of touch with the Brawl scene. How do people locally/regionally feel about the MK ban now?

If you want to help, it's easier to get in touch with me via AIM. (Zaandaa)
Would it be possible to get another tournament sooner?

As for the MK ban, I'm still proban, but I don't feel strongly about it either way, and will attend regardless.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I don't intend for that to be the only one. We'll try to do a local around September/October. I can't devote much time organizing these things and the club, so I need others to help out. We can arrange getting a decent, free venue somewhat easily and Smash is fun, so there's no reason not to have a tournament occasionally. If I had volunteers doing advertising and other preparation things like rules, it'd work out great because I can handle the venue setup and day-of tasks very easily.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
honestly if we are just talking about upstate (and maybe even if new england game) then there is no need to have the MK ban. i personally am impartial either way as well, but i know more people feel "comfortable" with it, especially in nys, because most people don't have a good pocket MK... which is why it shouldnt matter if he wasnt banned.

the only people who could honestly use MK successfully enough would have been Cure and Pikapika, who are both inactive. and if NE came to any, the ones that usually travel here also don't need to go pocket mk.

id say, to make sure people come from syracuse still, or anywhere outside of albany, use the MK ban. it takes away the threat of REAL players coming, and makes those who don't know the match up less scared to throw their money away.

/real talk.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I don't intend for that to be the only one. We'll try to do a local around September/October. I can't devote much time organizing these things and the club, so I need others to help out. We can arrange getting a decent, free venue somewhat easily and Smash is fun, so there's no reason not to have a tournament occasionally. If I had volunteers doing advertising and other preparation things like rules, it'd work out great because I can handle the venue setup and day-of tasks very easily.
I could try helping in advertising, such as by creating a tournament page for it on AiB and seeing if I can get NY/NJ people to come up.

Also, for SKTAR, is there anyone in the region that's planning on going? Snake isn't going anymore, as well as No Skillz. As such, I need to know now if anyone here is going, so I can start planning for transportation and housing immediately if no one else here is.

Sharky

Smash Master
honestly if we are just talking about upstate (and maybe even if new england game) then there is no need to have the MK ban. i personally am impartial either way as well, but i know more people feel "comfortable" with it, especially in nys, because most people don't have a good pocket MK... which is why it shouldnt matter if he wasnt banned.

the only people who could honestly use MK successfully enough would have been Cure and Pikapika, who are both inactive. and if NE came to any, the ones that usually travel here also don't need to go pocket mk.

id say, to make sure people come from syracuse still, or anywhere outside of albany, use the MK ban. it takes away the threat of REAL players coming, and makes those who don't know the match up less scared to throw their money away.

/real talk.
I'm honestly fine without the ban, I also don't really think our region needs it. AFAIK nobody from Syracuse would choose not to go to a local just because of MK, seeing as nobody from upstate ever uses MK consistently/well.

Aside from MK not being a threat here, playing with the ban while outside regions play without the ban only causes us to fall behind, and perform worse OOS. I vote for no ban, mostly due to lack of outside consistency.

edit: on that note, some of us should really start picking up MK so we DO have that practice. MK legal won't help us as a region at all if we NEVER use him ourselves lol.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
edit: on that note, some of us should really start picking up MK so we DO have that practice. MK legal won't help us as a region at all if we NEVER use him ourselves lol.
i would definitely vote for no ban as well. if i had the time to practice, and well a wii to practice on, i would definitely consider picking up a pocket mk just for fun, maybe for dubs? I also like the idea that i have seen at some nationals lately where it isnt mk banned, but in dubs you cant have 2 mk on a team. i think that is a big portion for why it was banned in the long run, and it would be smart, just in case, to do that?

i could definitely help advertise at University at Albany to try and get people to go, i could garuntee maybe 4 people? but who knows about freshman and what not. CJt and i have been talking about getting a tournament here, since we both work with residential life and have access to some nice rooms, its just expensive since we dont have a club yet.

Top Bottom