• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upcoming 1.0.4 Balance Patch in November!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Nerf the damage on Yoshi's dair if you're gonna nerf him. That move does way too much damage. It can net around 30% that's a bit much.
You have to aim that move + it's a low priority move that leaves him open outside of the hit-box below him. It's not like he can REALLY just shove that down your throat, and a lot of chars (but not every char) have ways of dealing damage fast on people. I could stand for that move being toned down a bit in damage, but not by that much. Most of the time, you won't get a full hit anyway.

Last edited:

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
This is not true.
There are moves where you can cancel hitstun and just up b for free THIS IS RUSH CANCELING.
If mario down throws you can up b as soon as he slams you into the ground which IS canceling hitstun since you cannot act any other way this early in the animation.
Same thing goes for spikes I have rush canceled when I should have been spiked downwards.
This is a bug and is not just the move coming out quickly.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
This is not true.
There are moves where you can cancel hitstun and just up b for free THIS IS RUSH CANCELING.
If mario down throws you can up b as soon as he slams you into the ground which IS canceling hitstun since you cannot act any other way this early in the animation.
Same thing goes for spikes I have rush canceled when I should have been spiked downwards.
This is a bug and is not just the move coming out quickly.

I'm pretty sure I was supporting that it was a bug... But okay.
Also note that it does not just "cancel hitstun," because if it were that simple you could rush cancel at any point in every move, which is not the case.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I have not seen this confirmed by video, etc. but according to @icraq there is now a Wii U loading screen tip that says Luma cannot be controlled while Rosalina is grabbed.

Can anyone with access to the game confirm this?

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Warning Received
You have to aim that move + it's a low priority move that leaves him open outside of the hit-box below him. It's not like he can REALLY just shove that down your throat, and a lot of chars (but not every char) have ways of dealing damage fast on people. I could stand for that move being toned down a bit in damage, but not by that much. Most of the time, you won't get a full hit anyway.
Completely disagree. That move doesn't have An immense amount of start up but what it does have is a huge hitbox and some nice damage. Even if it doesn't hit you it eats the hell out of shield. However I don't think that dair is in need of a nerf. It's a really good move but in no way is it broken.lol

I use Pit as a secondary to Yoshi, so that's surprising to hear. Pit needs good KO moves in his aerials, but outside of that he's totally fine. Yoshi is a safe fighter, but not nearly as much as Shiek or Zamus. Many of Yoshi's moves have weird flaws in them. Playing into their advantages is very rewarding, but if you can spot the spots to go in on, he's not as bad as you think he is. Based on my experience anyway.

Yoshi could stand for a nerf, but definitely not before Shiek or Zamus.
Ehhhh pit doesn't need air ko moves, his air moves are meant for gimp kills not raw ko's. If he was able to get raw kos from air moves that would be dumb as hell considering how much his ground game has been buffed.

Also not nerfing yoshi and buffing everyone else isn't being hard on yoshi.lol that is actually the exact opposite considering how good yoshi already is. What you're suggesting is instead of making yoshi less absurd, just make everyone else better. At that point yoshi is still ridiculous but you're hoping everyone else will be also.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
So begins the Please Nerf Train of 2014.

This game is rather fine. I mean who wouldn't love 6 more vulnerability frames on rolls and a Kirby that can approach but outside of that its good stuff. Don't need to clamor for a Nerf to every thing now.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
So begins the Please Nerf Train of 2014.

This game is rather fine. I mean who wouldn't love 6 more vulnerability frames on rolls and a Kirby that can approach but outside of that its good stuff. Don't need to clamor for a Nerf to every thing now.
NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF.
*Chanting*
ALL ABOARD THE NERF TRAIN CHOO CHOOO!

Weeeee also want buffs.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF.
*Chanting*
ALL ABOARD THE NERF TRAIN CHOO CHOOO!

Weeeee also want buffs.
All aboard the buff train hello?!

Way deep down south, where we play this game
It's them Quad City DJs and you
We call it the train
So if you wanna ride your thing
Just come on down the train

And please don't knock it, until you ride it
So to all of you girls, you know, I'm calling your name

Michelle, Tamika and Tanya

Wanna ride this train!

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Ehhhh pit doesn't need air ko moves, his air moves are meant for gimp kills not raw ko's. If he was able to get raw kos from air moves that would be dumb as hell considering how much his ground game has been buffed.

Also not nerfing yoshi and buffing everyone else isn't being hard on yoshi.lol that is actually the exact opposite considering how good yoshi already is. What you're suggesting is instead of making yoshi less absurd, just make everyone else better. At that point yoshi is still ridiculous but you're hoping everyone else will be also.
I don't know what to nerf on Yoshi that'd make sense. Everything on him is already in a VERY careful equilibrium.

Also, every char deserves at least one aerial that KOs. Pit doesn't have much of that, and his ground KO moves are all risky.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't know what to nerf on Yoshi that'd make sense. Everything on him is already in a VERY careful equilibrium.

Also, every char deserves at least one aerial that KOs. Pit doesn't have much of that, and his ground KO moves are all risky.
Tippered Bair KOs around 130% in a good position.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458

His back air Kills.
Play more pit brah.
They give you a seriess of jumps + a huge recovery...so that you can kill them off-stage with your aerials when others cant.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
maybe it's because I'm a total fanboy of one particular Brawl mod, but I'd love to see some minor changes now, and in a few years, they release a major balance patch designed by Thinkaman and Amazing Ampharos :D

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
maybe it's because I'm a total fanboy of one particular Brawl mod, but I'd love to see some minor changes now, and in a few years, they release a major balance patch designed by Thinkaman and Amazing Ampharos :D
Let's do a kickstarter to get the two of them in Japan and meet Sakurai.

Also Japanese language lessons.

Further idea: All proceeds from 2015 Smash 4 tournaments go towards this endeavor. Or something.

I'm not actually serious but it would be funny.

Last edited:

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374

His tilts aren't risky. His f smash also has a little recovery on it but not too much. Pit doesn't need any altering bro.lol

Uhhh a lot can be nerfed on yoshi.lol egg throw approach is extra safe, back air start up, and neutral air startup/crazy ass hitbox. Lol not that I want him nerfed but there Is a lot of dumb stuff he has.lol

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
His tilts aren't risky. His f smash also has a little recovery on it but not too much. Pit doesn't need any altering bro.lol

Uhhh a lot can be nerfed on yoshi.lol egg throw approach is extra safe, back air start up, and neutral air startup/crazy *** hitbox. Lol not that I want him nerfed but there Is a lot of dumb stuff he has.lol
lol pit can use safer on stage kill options still.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Tippered Bair KOs around 130% in a good position.
That's...pretty bad if that's what he has to rely on for aerial KOs alone. Why can't f-air have more KO potential?

Uhhh a lot can be nerfed on yoshi.lol egg throw approach is extra safe, back air start up, and neutral air startup/crazy *** hitbox. Lol not that I want him nerfed but there Is a lot of dumb stuff he has.lol
So you want to nerf things that make sense on the char already? EVERY char approaching with a projectile is "xtra safe", there's already good lag on b-air + it doesn't KO early at all, and n-air... nearly every n-air is fast. The hell is that?

As for Pit, his KO options on the ground are all his smash attacks and Upperdash Arm. Those are pretty risky. F-tilt isn't what I'd consider a solid KO option.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
ok but why would you give characters more landing lag... thats such a casual thing to say... id rather increase the speeds of other characters
Because the "Don't nerf. Just buff" mentality is barbaric and is just as flawed as the "Don't buff. Just nerf" mentality.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Pit just has problems KOing in general. And I'd say that's good for a move that SH auto-cancels, although it's not nearly as good as it was in Brawl.
So if they're passing buffs and nerfs, why not buff something for Pit, who has issues ending a match?

If he can't gain KOs on aerials, to the very least, would it be feasible to make his u-throw a KO move at higher %s? Just SOMETHING to make closing out less painful on the guy outside of flashy Upperdash Arm reads...

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
So if they're passing buffs and nerfs, why not buff something for Pit, who has issues ending a match?

If he can't gain KOs on aerials, to the very least, would it be feasible to make his u-throw a KO move at higher %s? Just SOMETHING to make closing out less painful on the guy outside of flashy Upperdash Arm reads...
This would be a great way to make the Pits different: give Pit and Dark Pit different ways of more easily KOing the opponent.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
This would be a great way to make the Pits different: give Pit and Dark Pit different ways of more easily KOing the opponent.
Wow, I didn't think on it like that, but you're right. Problem is that I don't know what one would give or take from each Pit that wouldn't make one blatantly better than the other.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

The issues are a part of the character. Really though, I think he's fine. We just don't have any star players making a name for Pitty yet.

Well, Pit can get late KOs with Ftilt and DP can gimp with the Electroshock. Actually, most differences are in how they KO besides the arrows.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Wow, I didn't think on it like that, but you're right. Problem is that I don't know what one would give or take from each Pit that wouldn't make one blatantly better than the other.
Give Pit a stronger Fair and overall better gimping abilities. DP can have Uair and be good at juggling the opponents and killing them from the top

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I mean, right now regular Pit is just blatantly better than Dark Pit (they only have three differences, and every one is to Pit's advantage); no change could really hurt that situation. I don't really expect that kind of change in this patch though, and I don't think Pit is really in need of buffs overall at this point.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I mean, right now regular Pit is just blatantly better than Dark Pit (they only have three differences, and every one is to Pit's advantage); no change could really hurt that situation. I don't really expect that kind of change in this patch though, and I don't think Pit is really in need of buffs overall at this point.
I wouldn't say they're all completely to Pit's advantage. DP can much more easily shield poke with his arrows and they're faster/hit harder, his Guiding Bow custom trades a negligible amount of control for speed and attack again, and his Electroshock is a powerful gimping tool that's mostly better then the Upperdash in a FD only environment. DP's Ftilt kinda sorta combos into itself at 0%, but eh. It'd be interesting if the sour Ftilt had set KB or something so it'd combo properly.

With how DP is, I think he was either ment to be some kinda counter-pick character for Pit mains, or he, Doc, and Lucina, were all intentionally made worse then the originals as a balancing precaution.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Stop playing Lancer.
Pit has better arrows full stop.
Upperdash kills off the top reliably on-stage independent of position. Electroshock doesnt.
Pits ftilt is one of his best moves, the fact that DP doesn't share the same strength is a joke.

Dark pit is a poormans pit all the way, i would not be against Sakurai modifying him to be different.
Speaking of pit the windbox on his Up B 3 is some kind of prank. It sent me Off-screen at one point from the ledge. Scared the **** out of me, but I was Jump Shulk so W/e.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Stop playing Lancer.
Pit has better arrows full stop.
Upperdash kills off the top reliably on-stage independent of position. Electroshock doesnt.
Pits ftilt is one of his best moves, the fact that DP doesn't share the same strength is a joke.

Dark pit is a poormans pit all the way, i would not be against Sakurai modifying him to be different.
Speaking of pit the windbox on his Up B 3 is some kind of prank. It sent me Off-screen at one point from the ledge. Scared the **** out of me, but I was Jump Shulk so W/e.
I'm just saying DP isn't worthless is all. Already he has two matchups that he's much better at then Pit, and they're Mac and Rosalina.

Jonney

Smash Cadet
NNID
hawkeye721
3DS FC
4253-3982-7075
Wouldn't suppose there are any changes to jigglypuff or Robin from the Wii u demos, is there?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I mean, regular Pit's guiding arrows are a completely ridiculous move that pretty much let Pit hit anyone he wants whenever he wants. Like yeah guiding arrows are also Dark Pit's best version of the move if you ignore regular Pit's presence in the game, but I can't imagine ever picking them just because it's maximally emphasizing the way in which Dark Pit is inferior.

I will bite on your claims of him as a counterpick though. I can see using him vs Rosalina (take the huge arrow to pierce through Luma, same theory could work against Villager but with Pocket in play would seem to be too risky), but why Mac? Regular Pit can push Mac off-stage more easily with the superior ftilt, and regular Pit's superior guiding arrows would seem to represent a huge threat to Mac once off-stage (use the control to precision steal Mac's double jump -> dead Mac with the lower power being a double bonus since the hit itself gives Mac a little less launch to work with to try to get back). Both arm moves would seem to be mostly suicidal to use against Mac in general so even though Electrodash Arm has the possibility to put Mac off-stage (not really practical since it launches so high up) I don't see it as significant.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
Because the "Don't nerf. Just buff" mentality is barbaric and is just as flawed as the "Don't buff. Just nerf" mentality.
okay idk why im even bothering to reply to you but nerfing speed is dumb as hell just nerf knockback scaling or damage or s/t else. adding landing lag to any character is so... >.>

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Overall I feel like shields and rolls need to be made a bit more punishable. They're very safe and seem to make approaches and offensive play a bit too risky. So many people are shield grab happy these days because it's so easy to punish offense, they just sit around and play defensively, which for me, leads to very boring and relatively uncreative matches. I'm a patient guy, but even I don't want to run down the clock.

Several different people now have told me that my play style with Kirby intimidates them and makes them feel pressured so they play defensively, and at that point I just find them waiting around to shield grab me when I try to approach, or they just go for dash grabs or try camping if I don't. That's so boring, and uncreative. Valid, but boring. Did I mention boring? Yeah I think I said it was boring, I don't know maybe I forgot.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
okay idk why im even bothering to reply to you but nerfing speed is dumb as hell just nerf knockback scaling or damage or s/t else. adding landing lag to any character is so... >.>
The main problem with Shiek, over any other char in the game, is that she gets away with just slamming buttons all over the place. An unnecessary nerf would be to make her take even longer for that to pay off. It doesn't really address the issue, but it just makes it even more tedious for Shiek to efficiently KO, despite her hyper-offensive style. Best bet would be to make her have to at least try to think about the risk of using KO moves. You should be able to block and punish a move as powerful as her fish flop much more easily than we're able to atm. B-air could use more recovery, and the invincibility on her teleport needs to go.

As far as Zamus goes, I don't even think I mentioned slowing her attacks down, did I? I said something about her throw grabbing people on the way back and her stun gun needing less reach.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I really, truly hope that a miracle happens and the patch separates custom moves from custom equipment so it'll be easier to allow in tournament play. I doubt they'd do something that complex, though, sadly.

More realistically, I hope that they - at minimum - double the time Luma is out of play when killed. But I doubt they'd do that, either.
There is a green flashing custom equipment signal that shows when equipment are used with a custom moveset.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Does anyone have a full-compiled list of balance changes? I've heard little things about Rosalina getting nerfed and Toon Link's Bomb cancel being gone, but they're scattered bits and pieces here and there.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
They said they'd release it before 21, but they really be cutting it close. i want have patch note settled onec and for all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom