• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upcoming 1.0.4 Balance Patch in November!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CE_TheLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
CE_TheLord
3DS FC
2707-1982-7716
Warning Received
I don't know what to nerf on Yoshi that'd make sense. Everything on him is already in a VERY careful equilibrium.

Also, every char deserves at least one aerial that KOs. Pit doesn't have much of that, and his ground KO moves are all risky.
I agree on that, but instead of giving him more aerial K.O moves, they should give more knockback and less lag to SideB and a bigger hit box on Dair to spike more easily

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Warning Received
I agree on that, but instead of giving him more aerial K.O moves, they should give more knockback and less lag to SideB and a bigger hit box on Dair to spike more easily
More knock back on Upperdash Arm is enough. It has super armor to beat out attacks, so making it more reliable when it does hit is already appreciable (with a hit like that, I'd expect it to KO properly nearing 120% without needing rage). The spike thing is also a good idea.

Actually, if they increased Upperdash's knock back and increased the spike hit-box on d-air, I'd be totally fine with Pit.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
This isn't confirmed true at all, one person guessed that it was removed from the game and everyone took his word for it. Based off observations that Mega Man players found, Rush Cancelling isn't a bug or at least isn't exclusive to Mega Man's Up B. It seems as if every special move has pre-tumble hitstun cancelling which allows Mega Man to sometimes Rush Cancel out of a throw. Mega Man's Up B is just a notable example for actually being somewhat useful because it has invincibility, is only 1 frame and puts Mega Man in a position where you can't really continue your combo as well as you could've against other characters. A good example of what I mean when I say Rush Cancelling isn't exclusive to Mega Man is Pikachu's Down B. It doesn't do anything position-wise, but it still throws down a bolt of thunder. Not to mention that somebody who actually owns the game(YouTuber JoeYoshi) said that Rush Cancelling is still possible, although that's another case of taking someone's word. Some will still say that Rush Cancelling is a bug, but I believe that it is likely not. Unless special moves being able to cancel pre-tumble hitstun was unintended in general, which I don't feel it was.
I don't know why you keep spreading misinformation on Rush Canceling when numerous people have provided factual evidence to the contrary. Rush coil and a few other random specials like Diddy's Neutral B break out of weak hitstun early. If every special move could cancel hitstun like Rush Coil, Mario would be obnoxious tier with Super Jump Punch. At the very least check your claims in game before you post it as fact.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Do we have any idea when this update is supposed to even happen? They announced it, yet haven't actually put it out yet and it's been over a week now or so? Lol.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I don't know why you keep spreading misinformation on Rush Canceling when numerous people have provided factual evidence to the contrary. Rush coil and a few other random specials like Diddy's Neutral B break out of weak hitstun early. If every special move could cancel hitstun like Rush Coil, Mario would be obnoxious tier with Super Jump Punch. At the very least check your claims in game before you post it as fact.
I'm just using what other people have said. I no longer have a functional 3DS so I have no way of telling whether what they're saying is factual. I'm just providing my theory, I don't know if anyone knows 100% why hitstun cancel occurs. Although...Super Jump Punch doesn't have invincibility like Rush Coil does, and there is no frame data to show if it is 1 frame or not. Our eyes are not enough to distinguish frame data. On the other hand, Pikachu's Down B does have invincibility further supporting my point since Pikachu's Down B can hitstun cancel.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm just using what other people have said. I no longer have a functional 3DS so I have no way of telling whether what they're saying is factual. I'm just providing my theory, I don't know if anyone knows 100% why hitstun cancel occurs. Although...Super Jump Punch doesn't have invincibility like Rush Coil does, and there is no frame data to show if it is 1 frame or not. Our eyes are not enough to distinguish frame data. On the other hand, Pikachu's Down B does have invincibility further supporting my point since Pikachu's Down B can hitstun cancel.
Pikachu's Down-B combo breaker is a COMPLETELY different thing.

The thunderbolt may or may not be frame 1. Pikachu literally is out of hitstun when he activates it, and the bolt continues to travel even when he gets hit.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Basically you can't Thunder out of something like someone's multi hit uair, but you CAN rush cancel out of it.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Pikachu's Down-B combo breaker is a COMPLETELY different thing.

The thunderbolt may or may not be frame 1. Pikachu literally is out of hitstun when he activates it, and the bolt continues to travel even when he gets hit.
Thunder's bolt was already confirmed to have frame 1 activation.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Basically you can't Thunder out of something like someone's multi hit uair, but you CAN rush cancel out of it.
Like I said, Rush Coil is notable for changing your direction. Pikachu will still descend into those hits while trying to Thunderbolt. Mega Man will just jump out of those hits.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Pika's Thunder can punish strings, but it doesn't cancel hitstun. It is technically not a combo breaker. It only works if it wasn't really a combo.

Anyway's I hope the patch comes soon. Best thing about it will be the end of all this speculation.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Pika's Thunder can punish strings, but it doesn't cancel hitstun. It is technically not a combo breaker. It only works if it wasn't really a combo.

Anyway's I hope the patch comes soon. Best thing about it will be the end of all this speculation.
Nothing is really a combo in this game, honestly.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
That's "Brawl 2.0" logic. Makes me think of a mass of Smash 4 players going back to Melee and Project M like they did to Brawl. How gruesome.

But Sheik Fairs and Bowser Jr's Mechakoopa into aerials are combos.

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Hitstun cancel may be silly. But as a Toon Link main. I can say the loss of item toss cancelling is detrimental to him right now, without it he is a slower rendition of brawl toon link without barely any useful tech skill that will help him in competitive games.

Really disappointed if it's gone.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
There are combos. But they don't produce hard locks like that do in say, Melee. It's mostly due to the momentum mechanics in Brawl and Smash 4 that interfere with this and create the idea that there aren't combos.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hitstun is the same story as in Melee really, the only difference here is that you can air dodge out of tumble, while in Melee you could only attack (disproportionally empowering characters with sex kick aerials/nairs: i.e. all the top tiers bar marth/falcon).

I notice the difference a lot and I think it's the best solution really, air dodging is still really good, but you will always have the positional advantage from a hit and don't have to deal with any variation in choices for at least a certain amount of time as well. Frame trapping is a lot easier in this game than in Brawl and was still allowing aggressive play in a lot of situations for good characters.

Last edited:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Heres hoping Zelda's Down B gets buffed somewhat....and a robin level movement speed

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Hitstun is the same story as in Melee really, the only difference here is that you can air dodge out of tumble, while in Melee you could only attack (disproportionally empowering characters with sex kick aerials/nairs: i.e. all the top tiers bar marth/falcon).

I notice the difference a lot and I think it's the best solution really, air dodging is still really good, but you will always have the positional advantage from a hit and don't have to deal with any variation in choices for at least a certain amount of time as well. Frame trapping is a lot easier in this game than in Brawl and was still allowing aggressive play in a lot of situations for good characters.
The issue in Brawl of course was that at low levels of ground knockback you could air dodge at no cost by going into the ground and avoiding the vulnerable window, which is no longer the case. #22frames

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Villager axe chop (hit) into Timber (fall) is a combo I hit people with sometimes. Axe hit sends them reeling and then the tree falls on them for 40%+ damage and OHKO at most percents over 30%

The problem is, this is ridiculously situational

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I know I'm gonna get hate for this, but hopefully the patch (or any of the) will do something about rolling and make them a little slower. I know, they aren't broken and can still be punished with proper reads, but I personally still find it to kill some of the fun and be soooo annoying. Imo, the worst offenders at rolling are::4samus::4darkpit::rosalina::4littlemac::4mario::4zss::4tlink::4pit::4lucario:

It's great that they're viable and finally fulfill the purpose they were made for, but still. Not broken, but super annoying.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I know I'm gonna get hate for this, but hopefully the patch (or any of the) will do something about rolling and make them a little slower. I know, they aren't broken and can still be punished with proper reads, but I personally still find it to kill some of the fun and be soooo annoying. Imo, the worst offenders at rolling are::4samus::4darkpit::rosalina::4littlemac::4mario::4zss::4tlink::4pit::4lucario:

It's great that they're viable and finally fulfill the purpose they were made for, but still. Not broken, but super annoying.
Samus' roll is super slow... It's invulnerable for longer, but I find it to be one of the worse roll spam options...

Your lack of sonic in that list though. He rolls like Mac.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Samus' roll is super slow... It's invulnerable for longer, but I find it to be one of the worse roll spam options...

Your lack of sonic in that list though. He rolls like Mac.
Yeah, I'm aware her roll is super slow. Its not the speed I worry about though, it's the distance that ticks me off plus the invulnerability. I probably wouldn't be feeling this way if For Glory had stages other than FD and Omega stages so she couldn't roll aay and spam so many projectiles, but it still feels like a drag to fight her for it even when I win the game.

I agree with Sonic's roll being annoying too though, despite that I play him as a tertiary. You think I would've noticed that..

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Let me rephrase something I previously said.

There aren't many true combos in this game.
In a vacuum, there are a lot of true combos in this game. jab1-jab2-multijab-finisher is a true combo. If someone were to list all the true combos in the game, you'd tell them to stop midway through.

I think what you're reaching for here is a comparative statement.

@Emblem Lord - Honestly, I think shield breaker is too good. Comparatively, DK's headbutt is harder to land and does 90% shield damage while you can charge yours for a slight second and break every shield. I would nerf its shield damage slightly so that you need to charge it a little more to break 100% shields.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I may be missing something, but I'm pretty sure Palutena's roll is basically the same as Rosalina's. I know it's a warp. But maybe it's slower or has less distance, I'm not sure.

Mega Man also has a deceptively tricky role, IMO (I used it to my advantage a lot so that's why I think so).

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Shields still take damage if you powershield they take significantly less though. You can power shield SB to eat it, but you can't repeatedly take it in even if you PS them all.
CPUs ALWAYS powershield against shieldbreakers and it never seems to weaken, like at all.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Shield breaker uncharged does like 75-80% of a shield and ramps up to 100 quick.
Wizard kick does like 60%, same with DK headbutt.
I think pound is 50%ish.
Stone is 40% or something like that.
Pretty sure dk headbutt does ~ 90% as it's very close to breaking.

Werewolf25

Smash Rookie
>Data from Smash online on 3DS is collected before and during the period that Smash Wii U is going through QA
>Balance changes ensue, all bugs and "advanced techniques" removed
>These changes then retroactively applied to the 3DS version via a patch
I predicted this as soon as they announced the separate release dates

>Bizarre, bug-embracing Smash fanbase get massively butthurt about it
I predicted that as well

DarkKiru

Smash Cadet
>Data from Smash online on 3DS is collected before and during the period that Smash Wii U is going through QA
>Balance changes ensue, all bugs and "advanced techniques" removed
>These changes then retroactively applied to the 3DS version via a patch
I predicted this as soon as they announced the separate release dates

>Bizarre, bug-embracing Smash fanbase get massively butthurt about it
I predicted that as well
Wouldn't really say "all" things got removed, only 3 things did (and all 3 of them were item related to my knowledge), theres still an ENORMOUS amount of AT's; a good majority of them just involving the physics engine (which is significantly harder to modify post release). Theres likely to be many we haven't even discovered either.

Last edited:

CE_TheLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
CE_TheLord
3DS FC
2707-1982-7716
Exactly what @ DarkKiru DarkKiru said... I mean, you can't expect a full-fleshed metagame with every AT discovered in a game that was released like a month ago... People is becoming way too impatient with Smash 4, IMO that hurts the game a lot... Let the metagame evolve in Smash 4 like in every Smash Bros. game up to date.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Strike two.. if you want to discuss how to change/buff a character, why not do it at your character board so it isn't full of ignorant assumptions and also doesn't annoy me after two previous warnings. Otherwise character impressions thread.

#_#

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Lol. Don't worry about it. I see what you're seeing, and I think that is the more intuitive "rush escape" as it's not canceling anything. You're just getting out of the imperfect combo that is Mario's utilt chain. It's the same with pikachu's thunder. Rush canceling happens directly after the hit (like in the video where it was "discovered," he rush cancels out of mario's dthrow right after MegaMan hits the ground).

BBC7

Smash Ace
Mega Man U-Air hitbox suddenly seems like an interesting topic now that Rush Cancelling is confirmed out. Although I digress, that is something we pretty much cannot test until the game comes out, and I doubt people that do own the game are interested in seeing if the Air Shooter is legitimately larger. There are more interesting things to talk about in their opinion.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Mega Man U-Air hitbox suddenly seems like an interesting topic now that Rush Cancelling is confirmed out. Although I digress, that is something we pretty much cannot test until the game comes out, and I doubt people that do own the game are interested in seeing if the Air Shooter is legitimately larger. There are more interesting things to talk about in their opinion.
I think this is just an example of them doing more with the HD graphics. The hitbox on 3DS U Air is noticeably larger than the ugly blue lines in the animation. I think they just matched the animation better int he Wii U verison.

It would be a silly thing to buff honestly, as its already a unique and amazing aerial that does a ton of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom