• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UofM biweeklies Ann Arbor, MI (Back in the Fall)

lain

Smash Master
OKIYAMA.

wtf you doin'. haha.

i didn't think you of all people would want to break into this. XD but it makes sense.

uhhh yeah they're like on break and stuff so not running them that much, but they will (as jman said) decide soon when to hold them. the turnout isn't bad, usually about 20 people. skill levels range from scrub to pro so it's pretty cool.

look forward to seein ya there dude. haha

Vayseth

Smash Master
Holy cartwheels batman! Hey Vargaseth, I didn't know you came back here at all. (Wilson)

Also, the (only) time I talked to the Get your Game on guy he was talking about a release night party, not a j-release one. He sounded perfectly willing though.
d00d! Sup! I've been a member here for a long time and even held tournaments. However, there was a huge controversy involving a bunch of scrubs who tried to get me fired for allowing "wavedashing glitches" in tournament. Since then, I've dropped out of the game and moved onto Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen (Clash of Ninja in the US) and Soul Caliber. Trying to get into Arcana Heart now...

Anyway, Wilson, you know you're allowed over whenever you want to play Brawl. I'mma need help unlocking everything.

But yeah, anyway... I live less than a block from Get Your Game On. I talked to Alex (owner, wonderful guy) about hosting tournaments for various games. He was interested in Smash and I have experience running tournaments so I told him I'd get Brawl 2 weeks early to get some buzz going. He's hosting a 64 smash tournament as a release party as far as I know, which is why the N64 is plugged in the whole time. I'll be more than happy to host these tournaments but I will NOT host Melee. I refuse. I have had wayyyy too many horror stories with that game to even attempt that again.

Anyone play Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen? That's the game I play more often. If anyone wants to play that PM me! I'd love people to play against...

lain

Smash Master
stfu hot_arms.

you don't even try to go to tournaments and fail.

you're a scrub at it's finest. gg.

Shaeden

Smash Journeyman
I'm bored. when's the next umb? oh and you guys that say you don't have rides anywhere... i don't have a license.. nor do i have a car... and i still make it to tournaments, but i suck so it doesn't really matter.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Does UMB usually have DVD records? Cause I see Anther putting vids of himself up there from UMB a ton. It'd be sweet to get some videos of me up there.

Also, Hot_arms who are you? Whats your name at the AADL-GT events?

Nvm, fixed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So basically, you're the one who would win every time if nobody who knew how to play went?

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
lol okiyama you? from what i see youve never succeeded in getting past the first round of brackets so yeah......

and everyone else in the top 25? cmon im not as good as cisco, lain, and the roysters but i can easily beat everyone else........for limabean id just have to try harder

anyways for whoevers dying to play me ill make it to one of these just as long as RJ (abit_rusty) can come to one of these

lain

Smash Master
no one is dying to play with you.

: )

also, 5th col needs to get on with the confirming dates for biweekliess!

i totally picked up Yoshi!

just kidding. yoshi is balls. : (

Levitas

the moon
Ok, so we talked it over and...

We're taking a hiatus on these things. It really eats your soul trying to get these things going every two weeks. So until brawl, unless one of us individually wants to host/organize/get **** in place/supervise/proctor/get brackets going/make randy move off one of the tvs when he's not supposed to be wasting one of our setups/stay behind and watch while everyone's at wendys or subway/collect and track moneys/negotiate with radical groups over use of the Bursley game room/whatever else we do, there will be no more until after brawl.

Sorry about the disappointing news, and if anyone else wants to host a tourney or two, we'd probably be up for it.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Ok, so we talked it over and...

We're taking a hiatus on these things. It really eats your soul trying to get these things going every two weeks. So until brawl, unless one of us individually wants to host/organize/get **** in place/supervise/proctor/get brackets going/make randy move off one of the tvs when he's not supposed to be wasting one of our setups/stay behind and watch while everyone's at wendys or subway/collect and track moneys/negotiate with radical groups over use of the Bursley game room/whatever else we do, there will be no more until after brawl.

Sorry about the disappointing news, and if anyone else wants to host a tourney or two, we'd probably be up for it.
**** it I was really looking forward to this, oh well anyone else wanna try to host something?

Levitas

the moon
Sorry dude, if you want to play sometime with us, just pm me or something. I don't know how close by you are, but yeah.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'll provide tournament supervising/tio for anyone willing to help host. I'm just not eager to do everything alone.

By extension, this means we can use the usual venue spots.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I'll post when I get Brawl and just show up to Get Your Game On. I'll prolly pull up a table and do homework while people play it. I'm also going to be bringing it to a tournament in Chicago over the 1st weekend in February so I'mma try to be there as much as possible to get as many people as possible a chance to play.

Rat

Smash Lord
1) Schoolhax
2) Homework
3).....
4) Industrial strength steel!

MI is nuts.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I'd be willing to come early and set up TVs and what not, I'm usually good with all that stuffs. I don't think I can actually bring a TV though >.> but I'll try.

Levitas

the moon
The only real problem is that before, everything was tracked (money and setups) by dudes we know really well and see often. I'd like someone to post with a good idea of how to make sure that everything is secure for the tournament.

It's awesome that people are volunteering. I'd be happy to see another UMB soon.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Who is going to bring tv's. Currently most of the tv's come from the guys at UofM but if they aren't going to go to the tourney then the chances of getting to use the tv is very small.

lain

Smash Master
Uhhh.

I 'd help host with Ankoku, so yeah.

As for keeping stuff "secure" I'm too sure what you have in mind.

The TV's thing sounds like a problem D:

Anther

Smash Champion
All I'm saying is that someone should upload the 5 or so hours of videos of UMB5, 6, and 7 so I can split and upload them while vacation is still going... or see if AIMing them to me is practical XD.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I think we have like a 12 inch tv in the basement that's used probably about once a year, I'd be happy to bring it... Assuming my parents go for it.

I figure we probably need like a check list for what's gonna happen and some event schedule.

Jermesque

Smash Apprentice
Check list is good.

As a security precaution, we can have a rule about being checked when you enter and leave. If people don't want to comply with that, they were more than likely only interested in stealing to begin with.

I definitely understand what you're saying about money and the concept-checklist being watched over by someone you all know and trust. So please know that I don't take offense at the fact that you don't know me, and therefore don't trust me, I was just offering my minimal skills. If it takes 15 people doing different tasks to get another one of these out, then I'll do my part to be one of them.

Also, I can bring 2 full setups including TVs.

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
2 setups? Dang sweet. Also it's a public room for all of Bursley, so checking people isn't an option. Simple things like tags for the TVs might work though. At least you'd need more balls to say it's yours and walk out. And I'd be happy to buy some grub on the way up and stay through lunch and till the end. I suck and come mostly for the atmosphere (why I'm there till like 3am most days) so I wouldn't steal from you guys.

Levitas

the moon
Jermesque, I've met you, but the only thing I meant security-wise is that whoever is in charge can be held accountable. A checklist/sign in sheet would be a great way of keeping track of that. So if you guys want to start talking about the time and date that this'll take place, it looks like it could very well happen. BTW, brackets on paper suck, and TIO doesn't do bracket seeding well at all, so if someone knows of another program for seeding, that would be a good thing.

And we've only had one problem with the money ever. That was because someone didn't have the money on them at all times. Since then, Dan's had the money in his pocket during the entire tournament, and that worked fine.

Lastly, if I can make it to the tournament, I'd be happy to give some pointers as far as how to run it smoothly, as I've been there watching it run all but one of the times. I know how Randy screwed up the TV system by announcing a match at a wrong time, I know why every delay that happened at any UMB (there were like 3) happened, and how they can be avoided. So if I can make it, I can most certainly help in that regard.

EDIT: last thing, someone keep a running total of how many setups are expected to be there when the date is picked. Four is good, five or six is better.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Yay! My idea is being used.

I'll look around for a good seeding programs, maybe we would want to do like prelims to see how good people and get some base stats for seeding?

We'd also want to choose between having 1st vs last and 2nd vs 2nd to last or like more fair match that the under dog has a chance at.

Well, whatever... to google!

Edit: I have Eli's book "Gamers... in the Library?!" and it has a chapter on seeding(I think, at least a page or two) I'll read it see if he has a system that could work.

Edit: Well, that was a waste of time, he basically said that I need 8,16,32 etc... players and that I should do it on paper or in a Microoft Excel document if I had a laptop >.> to google!

Top Bottom