• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UofM biweeklies Ann Arbor, MI (Back in the Fall)

Levitas

the moon
We've always done pools for seeding. that works well. As far as how seeding works, you want to have the bottom seeds doing first rounds for non even numbers (like not 32 etc), and you want the top seeds spaced as far as possible. It's double elimination, so if that happens, everyone plays the round robin pools, as well as at least two tournament sets, so nobody gets excessively shafted, and in losers bracket, the person who faces dope second round doesn't face mikey as well, you know. It'll be someone within their realm of beating.

And I didn't know that there was a book on seeding. That'll be interesting if he has a system.

okiyama

Smash Ace
We've always done pools for seeding. that works well. As far as how seeding works, you want to have the bottom seeds doing first rounds for non even numbers (like not 32 etc), and you want the top seeds spaced as far as possible. It's double elimination, so if that happens, everyone plays the round robin pools, as well as at least two tournament sets, so nobody gets excessively shafted, and in losers bracket, the person who faces dope second round doesn't face mikey as well, you know. It'll be someone within their realm of beating.

And I didn't know that there was a book on seeding. That'll be interesting if he has a system.
It's a book on tournament hosting in general but has many part specific to having tournaments in the Library. The Ann Arbor Downtown library has some DDR and Smash/Double Dash events that are pretty successful(Smash gets about 90 people to show up).

But what was all this about a program for seeding?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
tio for some reason exhibits a very strange glitch and seeds the same players in the bracket twice.

EDIT: neal just sent me a fix. Thanks neal!

okiyama

Smash Ace
tio for some reason exhibits a very strange glitch and seeds the same players in the bracket twice.

EDIT: neal just sent me a fix. Thanks neal!
So right now we have about 3 TVs and a good seeding system and what not.

So we have everything to run a tournament if we can lock down a place to meet?

Levitas

the moon
lol, the only thing really is to set the time/day. I think I've said that a few ways over the past three posts. Is next week good? Is there a preference over mid/late friday vs saturday vs sunday?

I for one like saturday or sunday better than friday, as I have classes on fridays.

Levitas

the moon
lol, no matter what it's a full day event. Even if you have stuff, there's always been friendlies afterwards, pending the willingness of those who brought the set-ups to stay.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If someone has a house whose occupants are willing to regularly host a tournament in, that'd be cool, I guess.

lain

Smash Master
Let's just do it at Bursley at Noon.

This coming weekend sounds good (as in the 13th). How does that sound?

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
This probably won't have the turnout of a regular UMB, but it could still get a bit crowded in a house. For sure if someone wants to host though, it's been done before.

And my vote is for Saturday.

Levitas

the moon
No objections here. I'll prolly show up. Since we're not running it, any objections to the rules and entry fees? I think they've worked out fine.

okiyama

Smash Ace
i have basketball diff times on saturday, and indoor track 5 on sundays :(
If you're who I think you are, don't use link, last time I played oyur link you used one move(uless oyu count movement) just upB... the entire time...

It was really stupid... Who do you play now? Also I'm not sure if I'd want to money match I'm not much of a gambler.

on topic: If we host it Sunday we need to take into account people that have Church(not me but still). Saturday you have a poker tournament... hmmm I dunno I think Sunday sounds best.

How long do they go I heard someone say like 3 am which would be kinda unrealisitic for me.
I dunno if LimaBean'll go, I'll ask him.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
If you're who I think you are, don't use link, last time I played oyur link you used one move(uless oyu count movement) just upB... the entire time...

It was really stupid... Who do you play now? Also I'm not sure if I'd want to money match I'm not much of a gambler.

well ive never played link as a main or just to screw around against noobs in the aadlgt, but i did use him in the low tier tourney and dthrow to upb works wonders lol (i was the one that knocked out limabean)

and i didnt just use upb, i spammed projectiles also

and i just checked and i didnt play you in the low tier so that mustve been some other link

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The main tournament can finish as early as 9PM if people are good about getting to playing their matches quickly and there are no campy Peach dittos on Dream Land 64.

Friendlies have happened afterward each time, and once friendlies were going on until 3 AM.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Some shiz came up financially and it doesn't look like I can afford Brawl. I canceled my order today. Sorry guys! I guess we'll have to wait until Feb 10th...

okiyama

Smash Ace
well ive never played link as a main or just to screw around against noobs in the aadlgt, but i did use him in the low tier tourney and dthrow to upb works wonders lol (i was the one that knocked out limabean)

and i didnt just use upb, i spammed projectiles also

and i just checked and i didnt play you in the low tier so that mustve been some other link
Must be someone else then sorry.

So if goes from noon to 9PM? jeez that's some tourney right there!
About how many matches do people play?

lain

Smash Master
standard set in pools and brackets.

usually about 4 - 6 people in each pool.

so you're guaranteed like something in the ballpark of 12 matches (considering there's 5 people in your pool including you and you lose every match from that AND brackets)

oh yeah, we don't have a bracket cutoff. haha.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
We will if we ever got more than 32. And if people actually are worried about time constraints, I suppose I can set it to top16 cutoff.

Levitas

the moon
Pick a day and set in stone by tomorrow, otherwise you'll lose attendance due to lack of notice. DECIDE. NOW.

okiyama

Smash Ace
My mom is skeptical about the TV and 9PM comign back, she thinks it might be a con trying to take TVs... >.> kinda paranoid.

I'll try to convince her, I'll probably be able to come but the TV looks unlikely.

lain

Smash Master
i decided on sunday. like a while ago.

no one objects (as far as i see). so on with the show!

Levitas

the moon
Bigy, if I can I'll be there. Do we have a day yet? maybe the one that isn't the same day as the GR tourney?

@ Okiyama, you can ask any of several people who've brought TVs before while fifth column ran the tourneys (including enzyme, Scotu, ankoku, bowyer, Jordan(no smashboards name), Kail, Andrew, or whoever did it from Ballrest). Additionally, we have tournament results that everyone who attended can vouch for, and anyone you ask can assure you that we've never had a wii, gamecube, memory card, or TV stolen, misplaced, or anything else. If she's still skeptical, that's fine. I assure you, we're all honest, and although I won't be running the tourney myself, I have been to all but one of them, and I know most of the people who volunteered to run it.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
you guys can go ahead on the sunday, my things at 5 so i can still come for like 5 hours and stuff and im not even sure if im going, gotta get my friend to go first

okiyama

Smash Ace
@GR Tourney
I don't exactly have a car or a license and getting a parent or sister to drive me two hours is unrealisitc so I guess I miss that :(

@JManSmash
Cool, I'll keep trying to convince. I think I can break her, we'll just see.

@Hot Arms
Sweet can't wait to friendly you :) I hope you don't use Marth, that range effing ***** me. >.>

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
lol i can use marth if i want to...........weird and i thought u played marth before you signed up for the boards and i saw your avatar and sig, way to tell the whole boards though what ur weakness is

here u can mm any of my characters of ur own choosing if you want

falco, fox, sheik, marth, ic's, samus, jigglypuff

here are some vids of me to show you how suck i am :(
http://youtube.com/profile?user=HotArmS32

Top Bottom