• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't get why people think there needs to be another Xenoblade rep. It's a very new series that's only had two games. This is just another Fire Emblem situation where people get really emotionally attached to specific characters because of the game's story, irrelevant to the significance of the series itself as a Smash entity, isn't it?

If there absolutely had to be another rep from that media franchise it should be from Xenogears or Xenosaga. Get some history in there.
The series does not have only two games....unless you have only two fingers and that's how high you can count.
There's the original.
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Plus the 3DS remake of the original and the big DLC pack for XC2

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The series does not have only two games....unless you have only two fingers and that's how high you can count.
There's the original.
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Plus the 3DS remake of the original and the big DLC pack for XC2
I mean, can we really count the 3DS version that by all means is basically a port?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
On the topic of Toad and unpopular opinions:

Toad just really does not feel like much of a reveal to me. I think he absolutely fits as one of the few Nintendo all-stars currently not in the game... but that's all I got for Toad at this point. I don't find Toad particularly interesting, I find the voice they do with him at times pretty annoying, and I do feel like he's been shoved in a lot of stuff over the years just kind of because (I mean New Super Mario Bros multiplayer with two Toads? That's really the best we came up with?). Toad is just the epitome of safe and standard first party pick to me. Nothing against the fans of the character and I agree Toad deserves a place in Smash (Despite what I've said, I actually really quite enjoy Captain Toad as a game), I just would be more or less completely apathetic to their inclusion (Toadette would be a required alt in my mind). For what's it worth, I'm sure Sakurai would do Toad a ton of justice and probably find a way to make them super unique... but none of the pitches I've heard surrounding Toad have landed for me personally (He looks cool enough in Project M I guess).

On another note, probably my most unpopular opinion as of recent seems to be that I just don't have any interest in Indies in Smash. I'm not trying to treat them as second rate games or say that they don't live up to major titles (many of them are better than the rest of the stuff on the market these days), but at the same time, I think there's just way too many major third party titles that should take precedence when it comes to Smash. I've never been able to really get behind Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans, or whomever in Smash. This just doesn't feel like their venue and I don't even know how you'd begin to pick an Indie rep to essentially hold the weight of all Indie gaming. Many indie characters are cool and have plenty of moveset potential, but I'm just not really ready for them as playable fighters in Smash yet. Especially not when big third parties like Bomberman and Rayman have already been sidelined. There aren't slots for third parties like that, but it would come off very strangely to me.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I don't get why people think there needs to be another Xenoblade rep. It's a very new series that's only had two games. This is just another Fire Emblem situation where people get really emotionally attached to specific characters because of the game's story, irrelevant to the significance of the series itself as a Smash entity, isn't it?

If there absolutely had to be another rep from that media franchise it should be from Xenogears or Xenosaga. Get some history in there.
As Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma said, it's three games. 1, X and 2. Three if count the Torna The Golden Country DLC, which was also sold as a standalone game. And five if you count the 3DS release of the original. At any rate, it's more than what Kid Icarus has, and I'm not even sure how much that Gameboy game counts. And yet, that series has two stages, two fighters and an Echo Fighter. Also, unlike Kid Icarus, Xenoblade is pretty damn likely to get more games in the future. Let's not forget either that Sakurai specifically apologized that for Rex not making it in.
As for the other Xeno games, it's honestly rather questionable to what extent Nintendo could even use them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
As Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma said, it's three games. 1, X and 2. Three if count the Torna The Golden Country DLC, which was also sold as a standalone game. And five if you count the 3DS release of the original. At any rate, it's more than what Kid Icarus has, and I'm not even sure how much that Gameboy game counts. And yet, that series has two stages, two fighters and an Echo Fighter. Also, unlike Kid Icarus, Xenoblade is pretty damn likely to get more games in the future. Let's not forget either that Sakurai specifically apologized that for Rex not making it in.
As for the other Xeno games, it's honestly rather questionable to what extent Nintendo could even use them.
Again, are we really counting simple ports? Regardless I don't think Xenoblade's hurting too much. Some music from X would be nice, if 2 being as dumb as it is got to have quite a bit of content and X only gets to have a spirit or two then it's a shame that had to happen

UserKev

Smash Champion
On another note, probably my most unpopular opinion as of recent seems to be that I just don't have any interest in Indies in Smash. I'm not trying to treat them as second rate games or say that they don't live up to major titles (many of them are better than the rest of the stuff on the market these days), but at the same time, I think there's just way too many major third party titles that should take precedence when it comes to Smash. I've never been able to really get behind Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans, or whomever in Smash. This just doesn't feel like their venue and I don't even know how you'd begin to pick an Indie rep to essentially hold the weight of all Indie gaming. Many indie characters are cool and have plenty of moveset potential, but I'm just not really ready for them as playable fighters in Smash yet. Especially not when big third parties like Bomberman and Rayman have already been sidelined. There aren't slots for third parties like that, but it would come off very strangely to me.
Indie picks don't interest me either. All of them are strange picks to me. Shantae on the roster would be like, it'd be extraordinary and Sans would be really controversial. If an India rep were to happen, it should have been Shovel Knight.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Again, are we really counting simple ports? Regardless I don't think Xenoblade's hurting too much. Some music from X would be nice, if 2 being as dumb as it is got to have quite a bit of content and X only gets to have a spirit or two then it's a shame that had to happen
2 is the best selling game in the series, currently sitting at 1.7 million units.
What sales estimates are out there for X puts it at half as much, on top of it being the most different game in the series for better and for worse.

Plus, if development timing had been as different as just a month or two Rex likely would've gotten into Ultimate as a fighter. It only makes sense that 2 got a bunch of spirits and several songs in light of all that while X's representation is super minimal (the music in particular was both considered very controversial and potentially would've required seeking out Sawano, rather than being able to just rip several songs from 2-- ACE did the guitar work, but they also did several remixes in Ultimate so it was probably easier to hammer out any potential issues with rights).

If an India rep were to happen
#GandhiNukesTheCompetition

G-Man0324

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1062-7979-7985
(2nd post)
I personally never understood why people are so focused on DLC. Sure, it’s awesome to get a character that so many people wished for, but I personally am probably never gonna play any of the DLC characters that much(if at all) competitively, so there isn’t much of a reason, in my eyes, to get excited about them in a competitive environment.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
(2nd post)
I personally never understood why people are so focused on DLC. Sure, it’s awesome to get a character that so many people wished for, but I personally am probably never gonna play any of the DLC characters that much(if at all) competitively, so there isn’t much of a reason, in my eyes, to get excited about them in a competitive environment.
Most people aren't looking at it from competitive lens. Smash is played mostly casually.

They also just like the simple idea of smashing video game icons with their favorite character.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
(2nd post)
The biggest attraction Smash holds for most is the characters.

DLC is adding more characters.

Hence, people are hyperfocused on it.

G-Man0324

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1062-7979-7985
The biggest attraction Smash holds for most is the characters.

DLC is adding more characters.

Hence, people are hyperfocused on it.
Ok, that makes sense. I think it’s all just a “me” thing. This happened to me in Sm4sh as well, since I was already happy with my current mains, so none of the characters did much for me in a competitive sense.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I’m already fatigued of all the Banjo videos plaguing my YT feed. Wish there was an option to turn off specific topics.

Nothing against the character, he’s a pretty cool addition. I just don’t care about him enough to have 6 out of 10 videos be about him, or why he broke the internet, or why he matters, etc. I don’t care.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
What does a series need to "accomplish" in your opinion to deserve two reps, then?
At least two of: Established history, absolutely monumental history-changing popularity, and at least 5 or so original games in the franchise. It also helps if it's not a character-driven anime game. Between Xenoblade and Fire Emblem there's a practice now of throwing 50 characters in your game in the hopes that one sticks with fans, and inevitably, by sheer random force of numbers, one will. A series shouldn't get a representative edge just because it's a type of game that has more characters than, say, a platformer with two or three.

It blows my mind that some people are already asking for a Three Houses rep when the game's not even out yet. Having an established history is a crucial point of consideration. Otherwise we'd have Flappy Bird, Happy Wheels, and John Fortnite on the list. These baby series like Xenoblade and Splatoon have only just earned one rep. They're going to need a lot more time and games to earn more.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
At least two of: Established history, absolutely monumental history-changing popularity, and at least 5 or so original games in the franchise. It also helps if it's not a character-driven anime game. Between Xenoblade and Fire Emblem there's a practice now of throwing 50 characters in your game in the hopes that one sticks with fans, and inevitably, by sheer random force of numbers, one will. A series shouldn't get a representative edge just because it's a type of game that has more characters than, say, a platformer with two or three.

It blows my mind that some people are already asking for a Three Houses rep when the game's not even out yet. Having an established history is a crucial point of consideration. Otherwise we'd have Flappy Bird, Happy Wheels, and John Fortnite on the list. These baby series like Xenoblade and Splatoon have only just earned one rep. They're going to need a lot more time and games to earn more.
To be fair Three Houses is shaping up like FE4 in terms of story which is a fan favourite
2 is the best selling game in the series, currently sitting at 1.7 million units.
What sales estimates are out there for X puts it at half as much, on top of it being the most different game in the series for better and for worse.

Plus, if development timing had been as different as just a month or two Rex likely would've gotten into Ultimate as a fighter. It only makes sense that 2 got a bunch of spirits and several songs in light of all that while X's representation is super minimal (the music in particular was both considered very controversial and potentially would've required seeking out Sawano, rather than being able to just rip several songs from 2-- ACE did the guitar work, but they also did several remixes in Ultimate so it was probably easier to hammer out any potential issues with rights).

#GandhiNukesTheCompetition
Ok but I ****ing hate 2's amateurish cinematography, questionable VA direction, uncanny artstyle, rehashing writings, gacha mechanics and being more different in terms of combat than the game that's supposed to be radically diffetent

ze9

Smash Ace
Some opinions:

-I hate when people say things like "oh, character X doesn't appeal to any new demographic, they can't get in" or "character Y is dead and irrelevant, he makes no business sense".
1) Reality proved you wrong multiple times, at this point
2) This is just a way to put down characters you don't like, trying to disguise it as an objective analysis
3) The people actually in charge sure know better than some forum-goer about what makes or doesn't make business sense...?
4) The "new demographics" don't care about who gets or doesn't get in Smash, since they don't follow Smash. You're the only one getting angry
5) Keeping the most fervent and passionate playerbase engaged and satisfied is also important
6) Smash has never been about marketing and corporate politics (bar maybe Smash 4), it's always been about fanservice and that's the very reason why the series is so beloved.
Arguments like those are laughable.

-The main criteria for a character to get in Smash should just be: "would it be cool to see this character go at it against Mario, Link and Pikachu?"; and from this perspective, characters as wildly different as Banjo, Cloud, Ridley and the Inkling all make sense. Characters should be here because they're fun, not to represent something or to attract some particular segment of the general public.
The more conceptual character (like for example the Wii Fit Trainer) every now and then is fine, but they shouldn't be the norm.

-I'm fine with indie characters. Hollow Knight would be awesome. Frisk (or Sans, whatever) would be, too. They come from good and succesful games with big fanbases, I don't really see why being indie would stop them from getting in.

-I'd prefer 1st party characters to 3rd party ones. Though the 3rd party approach gave me Banjo, so maybe it's better this way.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To be fair Three Houses is shaping up like FE4 in terms of story which is a fan favourite
Which most of the world hasn't played on account of being a Japanese only SNES game.

I wouldn't call it as much a fan-favorite as much as it is a cult-classic.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I highly doubt that a single month would've made a difference. ARMS came out in June of 2017, and yet that still wasn't enough to get a playable fighter. 2 hypothetically getting released in November of that year wouldn't have magically made Rex have proper timing for the roster, especially since absolutely no one could've predicted that 2 would sell as well as it did. Your theory on the treatment of X' music meanwhile is just a huge "maybe", especially since there was seemingly no trouble in getting "Uncontrollable" and "Wir Fliegen" for 2's DLC. In contrast to the treatment that other Wii U and 3DS titles from that time got, the way X was handled is just jarring.

Ok but I ****ing hate 2's amateurish cinematography, questionable VA direction, uncanny artstyle, rehashing writings, gacha mechanics and being more different in terms of combat than the game that's supposed to be radically diffetent
That puts it quite well. Though I personally would also add the incompetently handled story with multiple instances of filler and lackluster sidequests to that list.

Well, but these are just your criteria, which, as a side note, not even Earthbound meets. Sakurai and his team clearly don't follow that, or else series like WarioWare or F-Zero would've long since gotten a second fighter.

D

Deleted member

Spoiling the rest since this is going to get long and nobody really gives a **** about the Toad vs. Waluigi war you're trying to engage me in.
Dude youre the one trying to "start a war" with me. I simply shared my unpopular opinion lmao.

See theres a difference between these puzzle games and sport/party titles. Toad is an explorer who goes on unremarkable expiditions, Waluigi is an athlete who participates in dangerous sport events.

Waluigi's entire gaming resume is simple sports games with a Mario skin.
That title belongs to Toad. Mario sport titles arent your run of the mill sports games, these games that have powers and abilities. Which Toad has none of.

Abilities huh?
Waluigi has a bunch of random one off moves that he doesn't use across games. If we're counting the ability to spawn whips and swimming through air as Waluigi's powers and abilities we might as well include Toad's ability to lift 8 times his weight, manipulate the environment around him by spawning mushrooms and walking up walls since they have as many appearences, if not more.

Waluigi's only consistent abilities is he sometimes uses bombs and he's pretty good at tennis. Toad's consistant abilities are his super strength and speed.
1. That so called ability of his is the product of another game being retooled into a Mario game 2. Thats one whopping game in a span of 25 years. 3. That game also introduced these captain Toad levels you hype up so much so kindly pick a script and stick to it. Either brag about 1 ability he ripped off or brag about some explorer who cant even muster up the strenght to jump.

Waluigi can swim in the air, create tornados, has amazing leg strenght, create purple thorns, use machinery and can teleport. Atleast these abilites are his and not stolen from another game. Trust me if Waluigi had one ability you would've given him flak for it so now you gotta make up this flimsy argument that abilities need to appear in every title. Mario hasnt used his fludd and cape in a long while either so i guess hes a bad character, huh?

Also nah man, Toad bullies Wario in Mario 64 DS, snarks at Mario in Mario RPG, puts down Luigi a whole ton in the Mario and Luigi RPG games, chases down Nabbit in New Super Mario Bros., talks smack in Mario Tennis Aces about Wario and Waluigi and according to the new Luigi's Mansion game drives a bus like a drunkern demon. Toad's not OOC at all, he's not scared of everything.
Youre reaching. Hes a snark towards Luigi? So is everyone else, only difference is that he and Starlow have no business talking **** to anyone. Hes only tough when Mario is around. This so called bullying is nothing more but accidental jabs, he was quaking in his boots when he was in Wario's presence. Matter of fact in charged the captains treat Toad gets treated like the dirt beneath them. Waluigi throws a ball right in his face, Wario smacks him up for his incompetence, the goalie throws the ball right in his face.

If you're on about Superstar Sports...which is one of the worst sports games ever recieved from the Mario crew...kinda glad he wasn't in that honestly.
And yet youre hyping up some puzzle where game as proof that hes better than Waluigi? Priceless. Be that as it may that still doesnt change the fact that hes a background/side character in half of the spin offs. And for that matter a referee is all of a sudden the most important role in Mario Party?

Being more wanted doesn't make you more important to the franchise
He still had a decent amount of support in Sm4sh rivalling Bowser Jr for the top dog Mario spot.
Bro can you pick a script and stick to it? Youre the one who brought up character polls and now you wanna talk about how they dont matter? Talk about backpeddling and projections. And for that matter what makes you think gonna take this bold claim at face value? I already asked you to bring a source and you still havent done so. You instead flip flopped by claiming fan demand doesnt make a character important the moment you didnt have anything to say anymore. Why should i even believe you when Ridley, the character who got debunked by director himself, still had a huge fanbase supporting him. If they kept up the good fight then the Toad's supposed huge fanbase should've done the same. Speaking of sources.

Source on that backstory, because I've never heard it before. Sounds like bull**** because barely any character in Mario has a canon one, and I doubt they'd give one to Waluigi of all characters as a result.
Waluigi is jealous of the Mario bros's popularity so he trained hard in the shadows to dethrone them. Heres the source for that bit of info. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nm8j/chara/walu.html

If Luigi doesn't matter then how on earth does Waluigi matter?
Where did i say Luigi is a bad character? I clearly said that hes always been a pallete swapped clone of Mario. Stop making things up to have something to say.

Not that it matters because unlike Waluigi, we can see if Luigi and Toad play differently in the mainline games(and sometimes they do). Honestly if Waluigi is ever lucky enough to make it into the mainline Mario games I doubt he'll be using any of these crazy abilities you seem to think he has.

A Mario character's importance isnt tied to whether they appear in a main game or not, its the important roles they have. Story wise the main games and spin offs ( sport and party games that is ) are one and the same. The main games are called that because their platformers. You think their called main games because it has any continuity outside of the most basic plot of plumber saves princess from the big bad monster? Hell the main games doesnt even follow its own continuity half of the time. One moment we see Mario swinging Bowser around like a hammer and the rest of the games we dont.

Daisy isnt equal to Wario or Rosalina because she also debut in a main game. Wario's role as a boss got him his own line of games and he was immediately part of the Mario cast, Daisy only ripped off Peach's role one time and she rotted in irrelevancy until she was used as a doubles partner for Peach, the same role you give Waluigi flak for. Rosalina's role in Galaxy got her in 3d world and smash with her own trailer, moveset and stage, Daisy's inclusion in smash is as a carbon copy of Peach and her trailer was used as the prime example that echos dont take any time or effort.

Point is that she got her popularity and relevancy from the spin offs. 90% of Daisy fans werent born when her game came around and the 10% definitely werent her fans because of Super Mario Land.

So Toad being playable in a platformer doesnt make him more important or less of a side character. Following that logic all that means is that hes piggybacking off of Mario's succes for doing the bare minimum. He doesnt do anything that Waluigi cant do. These feats you see in the 2d platformers are also in Mario Party.

And further more Rosalina, the character who didnt have as many main game appearances as Toad and doesnt have a game, got in smash over Toad.

So tldr: roles > appearences

well one is the protagonist in a bunch of games
And yet after all that hes still Peach's meatshield. Congrats.

Last edited by a moderator:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
And your personal feelings somehow nullify its popularity and success?

I was impressed by much of the cutscene choreography, I didn't have much issue with the VO (people forget 1's wasn't perfect, albeit I'd say it was slightly better), liked the plot overall and give it an edge over the first, thought the "gacha mechanics" were a unique idea that met the goal of adding replayability, and loved the combat (and soundtrack, placing both squarely over 1-- which I'd say has the edge in world and characters, but I simply prioritize solid combat and a cool OST).

I highly doubt that a single month would've made a difference. ARMS came out in June of 2017, and yet that still wasn't enough to get a playable fighter. 2 hypothetically getting released in November of that year wouldn't have magically made Rex have proper timing for the roster, especially since absolutely no one could've predicted that 2 would sell as well as it did. Your theory on the treatment of X' music meanwhile is just a huge "maybe", especially since there was seemingly no trouble in getting "Uncontrollable" and "Wir Fliegen" for 2's DLC. In contrast to the treatment that other Wii U and 3DS titles from that time got, the way X was handled is just jarring.
Sakurai himself has said timing can be everything, with the main cast of Xenoblade 2 having their designs finalized at the same time Ultimate's roster was locked in.
If they'd been finalized a month or two earlier, then I don't think it's unreasonable to say Rex would've had a much greater shot. As for ARMS, the game took a long time to hammer out its concept; it likely wasn't in a presentable state at the time either. And it's not like sales are even the main detirminant for characters; Ike got in because of good timing, and his games sold so badly they nearly killed FE.
2 had sold 1.4 million a year ago; it would've been obvious shortly after launch that it was going to be the best selling game Monolith Soft had ever made. It's hardly unreasonable to think that the decision to include songs from it, every party member as a Spirit, and the Nia Mii costume was made in the months between its launch and Ultimate's release.

It's a maybe; maybe they tried to contact Sawano and he was too busy, maybe they didn't try to contact him at all, who knows.

What we do know is that 2 is the most popular game in the series and that Sakurai explicitly loved it and apologized for not being able to include Rex while including a lot of other bonus content from it and that X only got a few Spirits, and that no amount of griping is going to change that.

Maybe instead of being salty and envious that a game you don't like did really well and got more representation in a crossover than a game you did like, you can just... move on?

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
My opinion on regular Toad, separate from the Toad vs. Waluigi debate that just happened, is that he can never get in regardless of his significance or insignificance because I think that Sakurai thinks that the entirety of Toad’s moveset potential is already in Peach’s / Daisy’s Ultimate moveset, with the new pummel and throws included.

Like... you can talk about what Mario items and things he could have with him for his specials and stuff like that, but that doesn’t change the fact that his minuscule limbs make it difficult for one to fill up his A button moves in a sufficiently unique manner. It’s not impossible, given the Toad fan mods and stuff out there, but yeah.

And yes, I am fan of Toad, I tend to pick him in games where he’s playable, but that is my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Well, but these are just your criteria, which, as a side note, not even Earthbound meets. Sakurai and his team clearly don't follow that, or else series like WarioWare or F-Zero would've long since gotten a second fighter.
Unless I'm mistaken, those two series have only had four original games.

Anyway, no, it's not a perfect match to the devs' criteria. There are outliers like Lucas and Palutena, and it's not impossible that Rex make it some day as he's obviously at least popular enough for a Mii costume. I do think my criteria are a hell of a lot closer to the game's than a lot of people's wild fantasies, though.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care for the cartoony mascot characters like Crash, or Spyro. To me, there are the types of characters that fit so well into Smash that their inclusion wouldn't feel exciting. I think part of the charm of characters like Snake, and Bayonetta is that they DON'T really fit in. That's I was also kind of hoping that the microsoft rep. would be someone like Master Cheif, or Steve. I was honestly much more interested in seeing how they would've been implemented compared to Banjo, who feels like he fits so well that's just like... OK.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Here's a POSITIVE unpopular opinion.

I ****ing love World of Light. Other than it being a tad too long, it was a fun way to relax and managing spirits and creating teams was fun enough to keep me engaged. I also got a Legendary Lyn Spirit really early (I spammed all my Snacks down its throat), and tore through the main story. The final part was super cool and took me a while to understand and the last boss battle was so innovative and fun.

Share some of your positive unpopular opinions. I know it's hard but you must have some.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Grie

Smash Apprentice
I don’t see any reasons why Lucina should be cut.

Specifically, all the arguments that people throw against her are either easily discredited or counter-intuitive. Let’s take some exemples.

1-she’s a low effort clone
There are multiple ways to go around this. They can declone her like they did with Luigi, Falco and Ganondorf, take a harder route and make her a costume for Marth or if chrom is in the next game the same as he is now, make her a echo of Chrom instead. Being a clone dosen’t mean anything in a situation like this as even doctor Mario was going to be in brawl as is own character.

2-She can be replaced by another fe character
For exemple, the character that most people replace her with is Lyn (not going to throw shades at lyn that’s not the point). The main argument being this way of thinking is that she’s one of the most popular character in the series. Guess who else is one of the most popular characters in the series? (Just coming out and saying, people need to stop using the fe heroes poll they made in 2017, it’s ridiculously outdated and it baffles me how smash fans uses it as a modern way to judge character popularity).

So after all of this totally not biased deconstruction of critisisim thrown around a video game character in a crossover fighting game do I think Lucina is getting the axe? It’s pretty much inevitable that she’s on the chopping block but hey, I can dream as much as I want.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's a POSITIVE unpopular opinion.

I f******g love World of Light. Other than it being a tad too long, it was a fun way to relax and managing spirits and creating teams was fun enough to keep me engaged. I also got a Legendary Lyn Spirit really early (I spammed all my Snacks down its throat), and tore through the main story. The final part was super cool and took me a while to understand and the last boss battle was so innovative and fun.

Share some of your positive unpopular opinions. I know it's hard but you must have some.....
Smash Ultimate's online is better than Smash 4's and far from the dumpster fire most people want you to think it is. Both of it's main modes are good for what they try to be (Quickplay for, well, quickly finding games with people relatively close to your skill level and good ping, and arenas for when you want a more casual, tailored experience), even if they have some annoying flaws. Many complaints are judging them for what they aren't (like Quickplay being a serious competitive ranked mode) or tunnel-vision on specific aspects without looking at the big picture rather than their own merits.

As for indies, what needs to be considered is that, if it weren't for them, the Wii U would be even more barren than it already was. It's where the Nindies moniker really took form, and they stuck with the platform even when common sense according to many other third party companies told them not to. And even today, it's not unheard of for an indie title to sell better on Nintendo platforms in particular. There is a noticeable history between the two here and I reckon it would not be out of place to see one of them playable.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And your personal feelings somehow nullify its popularity and success?

I was impressed by much of the cutscene choreography, I didn't have much issue with the VO (people forget 1's wasn't perfect, albeit I'd say it was slightly better), liked the plot overall and give it an edge over the first, thought the "gacha mechanics" were a unique idea that met the goal of adding replayability, and loved the combat (and soundtrack, placing both squarely over 1-- which I'd say has the edge in world and characters, but I simply prioritize solid combat and a cool OST).

Sakurai himself has said timing can be everything, with the main cast of Xenoblade 2 having their designs finalized at the same time Ultimate's roster was locked in.
If they'd been finalized a month or two earlier, then I don't think it's unreasonable to say Rex would've had a much greater shot. As for ARMS, the game took a long time to hammer out its concept; it likely wasn't in a presentable state at the time either. And it's not like sales are even the main detirminant for characters; Ike got in because of good timing, and his games sold so badly they nearly killed FE.
2 had sold 1.4 million a year ago; it would've been obvious shortly after launch that it was going to be the best selling game Monolith Soft had ever made. It's hardly unreasonable to think that the decision to include songs from it, every party member as a Spirit, and the Nia Mii costume was made in the months between its launch and Ultimate's release.

It's a maybe; maybe they tried to contact Sawano and he was too busy, maybe they didn't try to contact him at all, who knows.

What we do know is that 2 is the most popular game in the series and that Sakurai explicitly loved it and apologized for not being able to include Rex while including a lot of other bonus content from it and that X only got a few Spirits, and that no amount of griping is going to change that.

Maybe instead of being salty and envious that a game you don't like did really well and got more representation in a crossover than a game you did like, you can just... move on?
Sorry but I cannot agree. Especially in the cinematography. The game counts a different camera shot as movement which doesn't sound bad until you remember that the smallest movement makes all the boobs jiggle and it's like "Wow they really took a classic which people got localized by sheer demand and they felt this is how they see those fans, as nothing but perves who don't know who women's bodies work. I'm not a prude but come on Monolith do you really expect that little of fans? But seeing as this game's many stupid decisions including rehashing the writing and making combat feel more sluggish made me absolutely overjoyed about having to cancel my pre order a few weeks prior
I don’t see any reasons why Lucina should be cut.

Specifically, all the arguments that people throw against her are either easily discredited or counter-intuitive. Let’s take some exemples.

1-she’s a low effort clone
There are multiple ways to go around this. They can declone her like they did with Luigi, Falco and Ganondorf, take a harder route and make her a costume for Marth or if chrom is in the next game the same as he is now, make her a echo of Chrom instead. Being a clone dosen’t mean anything in a situation like this as even doctor Mario was going to be in brawl as is own character.

2-She can be replaced by another fe character
For exemple, the character that most people replace her with is Lyn (not going to throw shades at lyn that’s not the point). The main argument being this way of thinking is that she’s one of the most popular character in the series. Guess who else is one of the most popular characters in the series? (Just coming out and saying, people need to stop using the fe heroes poll they made in 2017, it’s ridiculously outdated and it baffles me how smash fans uses it as a modern way to judge character popularity).

So after all of this totally not biased deconstruction of critisisim thrown around a video game character in a crossover fighting game do I think Lucina is getting the axe? It’s pretty much inevitable that she’s on the chopping block but hey, I can dream as much as I want.
Oh the fact she's a clone is actually a reason she can stay. Minimal effort, very popular character in the franchise and barely costs any time porting over

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Xenoblade is not Pokémon. The only time we ever got a character that had nothing but concept sketches for them was Greninja, and the way any given Pokémon fights is always pretty straightforward. For something like Xenoblade, they would've also needed to get the characters personality and fighting style down, and I'm pretty damn certain that that's not something that they could've done in just one more month. And again, with ARMS you're just throwing baseless assumptions out.

Right. During the months and months that it took to develop Ultimate, Sawano was just way too busy the entire time, and they could never contact him.
At this point you're really just bending over backwards to justify this.

And hey, here's a suggestion - maybe instead of going out of your way to paint X as the black sheep of the series and defending 2 at every given opportunity, you just. . . accept that people can have perfectly valid reasons for not liking 2, and think that X got the short end of the stick for no good reason?

This is the last thing I'll say on the matter for now. I don't enjoy arguing with a brick wall.

But seeing as this game's many stupid decisions including rehashing the writing and making combat feel more sluggish made me absolutely overjoyed about having to cancel my pre order a few weeks prior
Then you're smarter than me. I still got the game and its DLC in the hopes that it would somehow positively surprise me. Needless to say, it didn't.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Here's a POSITIVE unpopular opinion.....

I'm always happy to contribute some positive unpopular opinions.

1. Even if the next two dlc characters don't interest me Ultimate's DLC has proven to be just as good if not better than Smash 4 DLC. (I'm a bit biased of course since one of my dream picks got in but that's how I feel.)

2. Spirit battles and classic mode are alot more creative and fun than people give them credit for. It's fun seeing nods and references to each series through the characters and the battle conditons chosen in each fight. (My personal favorites are the Mother and Persona characters)

3. ****posts and memes aside, its ok to unironically support 4th party characters for Smash. Many games, especially fighting games, have had oddball guest characters, Smash isn't any different. (Just FYI I don't think it's likely myself, I just don't get mad when other people want characters different from me)

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If they had to cut Marth or Lucina from a future Smash game, I'd rather they cut Marth.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Sorry but I cannot agree. Especially in the cinematography. The game counts a different camera shot as movement which doesn't sound bad until you remember that the smallest movement makes all the boobs jiggle and it's like "Wow they really took a classic which people got localized by sheer demand and they felt this is how they see those fans, as nothing but perves who don't know who women's bodies work. I'm not a prude but come on Monolith do you really expect that little of fans? But seeing as this game's many stupid decisions including rehashing the writing and making combat feel more sluggish made me absolutely overjoyed about having to cancel my pre order a few weeks prior
Oh the fact she's a clone is actually a reason she can stay. Minimal effort, very popular character in the franchise and barely costs any time porting over
In my 200 hours with the game, I never noticed any of that in the cutscenes. And you're one of the first people I've seen complain about the game taking 1's asspull twist that raised more questions than answers and actually doing it decently and integrating it into the game's themes. ...Really, I'll never understand the gleeful joy some take in hating entertainment that doesn't personally appeal to them.
Xenoblade is not Pokémon. The only time we ever got a character that had nothing but concept sketches for them was Greninja, and the way any given Pokémon fights is always pretty straightforward. For something like Xenoblade, they would've also needed to get the characters personality and fighting style down, and I'm pretty damn certain that that's not something that they could've done in just one more month. And again, with ARMS you're just throwing baseless assumptions out.

Right. During the months and months that it took to develop Ultimate, Sawano was just way too busy the entire time, and they could never contact him.
At this point you're really just bending over backwards to justify this.

And hey, here's a suggestion - maybe instead of going out of your way to paint X as the black sheep of the series and defending 2 at every given opportunity, you just. . . accept that people can have perfectly valid reasons for not liking 2, and think that X got the short end of the stick for no good reason?

This is the last thing I'll say on the matter for now. I don't enjoy arguing with a brick wall.

Then you're smarter than me. I still got the game and its DLC in the hopes that it would somehow positively surprise me. Needless to say, it didn't.
I'm pretty neutral on X; I'm just stating what should be obvious (that the game is very different from 1 and 2 in plot and gameplay structure as well as setting and aesthetics). The "brick wall" is the guy who takes every opportunity to ***** about a popular game that he didn't like.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I'm starting to hate Battlefield, it always comes up on quickplay, especially when my preferred rules are set to Omega stages...

#FixYourOnline

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm starting to hate Battlefield, it always comes up on quickplay, especially when my preferred rules are set to Omega stages...

#FixYourOnline
Look man, even other detractors tend to suggest rules that involve multiple stages selected, which all but guarantee you won't always get to play on the stage you want. Also doesn't help that at least some rulesets don't allow Final Destination to be a starter stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom