• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Flaming
A feather gauge was spotted in their trailer when using certain specials.

Seems like you spoke too soon.
It was in literally one (1) move shown, and it's a move ripped straight from Banjo-Kazooie that involves a depleting amount of golden feathers.

Zoomers smh

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This fighter pass is disappointing. None of the characters shown I have even smiled to see make the game.

And I think you are being petty.

Three pages ago, people were saying that Banjo & Kazooie were the most boring possible choices with little moveset potential (oldest bull**** argument in the book), despite there not being any gameplay trailer at the time for reference (clairvoyance powers, y'all). So why I'm not surprised that post-reveal those exact same people are singing the same tune but come off as fruitless attempts at damage control and saving face?

We get it, you didn't want Banjo and Kazooie in which is why you were desperately downplaying them. But now that they are a reality, you seem keen on using any potential flaw against them. Yes, their trailer reused some assets from the King K. Rool trailer... and was extremely well delivered partially because it was a reference at how King. K. Rool, Diddy and the DK Country world were created by the same people who made Banjo-Kazooie thus making them sibling franchises in a way. But you said that the Banjo trailer was very telling... of what exactly?

Also, if I have to take a guess, people like you probably didn't grow in the N64 era and never played these games at the time. So the main reason why you don't care about them or their inclusion is because of your ignorance of the characters. It's hard to relate to something you didn't experience.
Spot on. There was a reason and a narrative behind why the K. Rool trailer was "reused". It made perfect sense. And Erdricks trailer was very well done too.

I'm general, it's pretty funny how people with little to no knowledge of the games are taking all these passive aggressive jabs and toys out the pram without knowing facts, just because it doesn't align with their tastes.

Makes it just that little bit sweeter, not going to lie :)

Same goes for that swordfighter/FE character argument to an extent. Although tbf as that saying about opinions go...and you can't please everyone.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I think that Smash needs to keep everyone is here. Look at the backlash about non-Galar dex Pokemon not being able to be transferred to Sword and Sheild. If they rebooted Smash, the community will become a hellscape, with fans tearing apart the characters that make, both newcomers and veterans alike.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think that Smash needs to keep everyone is here. Look at the backlash about non-Galar dex Pokemon not being able to be transferred to Sword and Sheild. If they rebooted Smash, the community will become a hellscape, with fans tearing apart the characters that make, both newcomers and veterans alike.
So, like Brawl and Smash 4 speculation?

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad Banjo and Kazooie don't seem to rely on some gimmick like most newcomers do now.

Fully agreed. I'm convinced it get's so much praise because it's probably most Nintendo fans' first modern open world game.
If BOTW was so praised, it's because of the liberty it gives you. This game makes you truly feel like a hero. The more you do, the more you become the hero you were before. The feeling of liberty wasn't matched in previous Zelda game. Also, you can do much more than just fighting ! And even if you do just that, you can fight with really different ways, like wearing the Gerudo anti-thunder mask and electrocute your ennemy by letting the thunder hit you, you can freeze the ennemy and push them into the void, kick the head of the stal opponents into the void, electrocute the opponents who are in water, you can blow them, you can stop them with statis or even going full slow-mo by launching arrows while you're in midair. You don't have restriction, and also, the broking item mechanic is actually good, because now you have to be much careful, and so you don't always play the same weapon, so you have to adapt.
This is truly a well made game, a piece of art. And one of the greatest Zelda ever made.

Fight me.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
They should have teased DQ Hero in the February direct but only showed off the Luminary alt (similar to what they did with Joker in the same direct) and revealed Erdrick and the other heroes in the E3 direct.

This would have both satisfied Smash fans who felt blueballed from the lack of Smash news and also cause people to doubt the leaks, creating even more speculation.

On a sidenote it's hilarious how many reactors confused the Luminary with Erdrick. I don't even play the games and I know which is which.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
It was in literally one (1) move shown, and it's a move ripped straight from Banjo-Kazooie that involves a depleting amount of golden feathers.

Zoomers smh
That was an uncalled for comment.

Sorry I'm not super familiar with a specific mechanic from a game that's older than me.

On a sidenote it's hilarious how many reactors confused the Luminary with Erdrick. I don't even play the games and I know which is which.
Reminds me of the initial SMTV reveal way back in the Nintendo Switch event and how a bunch of reactors recognized the demons... and then jumped to thinking it was Persona.
Also a deft illustration of how much bigger Persona is than SMT, and this was before 5 launched in the West.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
If BOTW was so praised, it's because of the liberty it gives you. This game makes you truly feel like a hero. The more you do, the more you become the hero you were before. The feeling of liberty wasn't matched in previous Zelda game. Also, you can do much more than just fighting ! And even if you do just that, you can fight with really different ways, like wearing the Gerudo anti-thunder mask and electrocute your ennemy by letting the thunder hit you, you can freeze the ennemy and push them into the void, kick the head of the stal opponents into the void, electrocute the opponents who are in water, you can blow them, you can stop them with statis or even going full slow-mo by launching arrows while you're in midair. You don't have restriction, and also, the broking item mechanic is actually good, because now you have to be much careful, and so you don't always play the same weapon, so you have to adapt.
This is truly a well made game, a piece of art. And one of the greatest Zelda ever made.

Fight me.
"This game makes you truly feel like a hero"-what is this even supposed to mean? You can say that about not just every single other Zelda game but just about every single other video game ever made. It reminds me how every single review for all the Batman Arkham games always say "this is the game that truly makes you feel like Batman" somewhere in them. I certainly didn't feel like a hero while breaking glorified metal sticks over the same few recolored enemies and collecting Korok poop for the whole game. Just about every single thing BotW did off the top of my head was already done better in Minecraft.

That was an uncalled for comment.

Sorry I'm not super familiar with a specific mechanic from a game that's older than me.
Not being familiar with it certainly isn't stopping you from acting like you know what you're talking about though.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
"This game makes you truly feel like a hero"-what is this even supposed to mean? You can say that about not just every single other Zelda game but just about every single other video game ever made. It reminds me how every single review for all the Batman Arkham games always say "this is the game that truly makes you feel like Batman" somewhere in them. I certainly didn't feel like a hero while breaking glorified metal sticks over the same few recolored enemies and collecting Korok poop for the whole game. Just about every single thing BotW did off the top of my head was already done better in Minecraft.
It's called an opinion. Ever heard of one?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still haven't heard a good reason to reboot Smash, so many people keep talking about it because "the roster is becoming bloated", but nobody gives a solid reason for straight up rebooting it. The reason you reboot something is so you can do something entirely new with it, and the idea is that in Smash that entirely new thing would demand enough time and resources that it'd come at the expense of a lot of the characters, but I haven't heard as much as a single idea as to what that thing would be, which makes the whole reboot discussion pointless as there has to be something worth all the cuts to begin with. I'm not even sure something like that even exists tbh, people play Smash and hype it up for the characters, I don't think there's anything that would justify cutting 30-40 characters.

The most in-demand thing that's not in the game atm is a fully-fledged story mode, but not even that would justify it as Smash's first and foremost appeal is the multiplayer, and always will be, people would hate the reboot once they have tied the story mode up and are left with a roster half the size of the previous game.

So yeah, I agree, a primary focus for the next game should be to get as many of the veterans back as possible, it might not be possible (time constraints and rights issues), but then at least keep cuts to a minimum.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not sure why people are arguing about a Zelda game in an unpopular Smash opinion thread, or really why people are arguing at all.

Seems like a good time to drop the conversation.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Assumption. What you said was an assumption.
I think people treat BotW like the greatest thing ever only do so because I think, if I do say so myself, that they mostly likely, as far as my feelings are concerned, that they haven't played any other open world games released in the last 20 years I feel.

Does this HD remaster get the Gwen stamp of approval?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think people treat BotW like the greatest thing ever only do so because I think, if I do say so myself, that they mostly likely, as far as my feelings are concerned, that they haven't played any other open world games released in the last 20 years I feel.

Yes. Want a sticker?

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there's a clear pattern to DLC picks this time around. I think "Companion theory" will hold up about as well as Google theory did.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I can't speak for anyone else, but if I do eventually play BotW and like it, it will be because the world of Zelda is fun and colorful and pleasant and the world of Skyrim looks like used toilet paper.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I can't speak for anyone else, but if I do eventually play BotW and like it, it will be because the world of Zelda is fun and colorful and pleasant and the world of Skyrim looks like used toilet paper.
That's pretty much true.
Also, BotW rewards you for every small step you do when exploring the world. It's really well done.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still haven't heard a good reason to reboot Smash, so many people keep talking about it because "the roster is becoming bloated", but nobody gives a solid reason for straight up rebooting it. The reason you reboot something is so you can do something entirely new with it, and the idea is that in Smash that entirely new thing would demand enough time and resources that it'd come at the expense of a lot of the characters, but I haven't heard as much as a single idea as to what that thing would be, which makes the whole reboot discussion pointless as there has to be something worth all the cuts to begin with. I'm not even sure something like that even exists tbh, people play Smash and hype it up for the characters, I don't think there's anything that would justify cutting 30-40 characters.

The most in-demand thing that's not in the game atm is a fully-fledged story mode, but not even that would justify it as Smash's first and foremost appeal is the multiplayer, and always will be, people would hate the reboot once they have tied the story mode up and are left with a roster half the size of the previous game.

So yeah, I agree, a primary focus for the next game should be to get as many of the veterans back as possible, it might not be possible (time constraints and rights issues), but then at least keep cuts to a minimum.
Well, you could probably get away with something like this if you portray such a game as a spin-off (less fighting game, more single-player RPG), or a large DLC that can be purchased separately like New Super Luigi U or Torna: The Golden Country.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
We're going to see cuts from the roster regardless of a possibility of a reboot due to licensing and copyright issues. It's a miracle we got Snake and Cloud back of all people.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've got a few. Hopefully a few people will agree.

Neither were really my cup of tea. I feel like DQ deserved a rep, but just about everything outside Hero's specials looks like carbon-copied, recycled junk from other swordfighters, namely Link, Marth, Ike, and Shulk. His spell-casting move is basically his only saving grace for me.

I'm glad for Banjo's supporters, but I still don't understand why he was so popular to begin with. Feels like a random and out-of-place addition to the roster. His moveset is a nice reference to his franchise and games, but I don't see anything truly special about him. Nothing that would make me say, "Woah, I've never seen anyone do something like that before!"

Despite what we've gotten so far, I still think we're getting two first-parties as our last DLC additions. I'm not wasting my time speculating about the Mii costume theory and limiting my options to just third-parties from specific companies.

Without even seeing the cast of the sequel, I already support the idea of a BotW/BOTW2 character getting in somewhere down the line. i don't care how ridiculous that sounds These games are way too good to go without some type of newcomer in Smash, and Zelda is long overdue for something that isn't Link or a semi-clone.

If I can't get a Champion, give Sidon or Kass a significant role in the sequel so they'll still have a legitimate chance.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I noticed a common theme around here is that the people who diss on Banjo and Kazooie are those who had little to no direct exposure to their games and their influence, so they can't relate to them at all and the significance of their addition flies over their heads. And because we humans are creatures who are afraid of the unknown we require to build a connection over time to get us to care.

As people know already, the crossover appeal of Smash lies in the All-Star cast that makes people want to play as a character they can relate to regardless of moveset or tier placement. And the Smash fanbase is very diverse with people from different age groups. A lot of those people grew up during the SNES and N64 era, and the developer Rareware became a very significant force during that time. As JonTron puts it, they were "the Beatles of the gaming industry"; almost every game they put out was a gem. They rebooted the DK franchise and made the DK Country games, giving that series a very distinct feel from how it was originally envisioned that still influences it to this day. And they also made Banjo-Kazooie which basically took the Mario 64 formula and improved upon it. The character Banjo first debuted in Diddy Kong Racing though as a part of the branching DK franchise and was described as Diddy's friend.

People who harp on the trailer's assets just seem to miss the whole reference. Rareware made the characters K. Rool and Diddy, and they are also responsible for creating Banjo & Kazooie. The DK64 and DK Country were platform games just like Banjo-Kazooie, and BK oftentimes had references to those DK games. They are kind of like sister series. So, in the trailer, DK, K. Rool and Diddy are cheering because they are happy to see them back. Because they are welcoming family back to their original home.

I'm glad for Banjo's supporters, but I still don't understand why he was so popular to begin with. Feels like a random and out-of-place addition to the roster. His moveset is a nice reference to his franchise and games, but I don't see anything truly special about him. Nothing that would make me say, "Woah, I've never seen anyone do something like that before!"
"Random and out-of-place addition" is just a terrible, terrible argument against a newcomer that I thought we outgrew long ago since Snake was added into Brawl. There was a time Banjo & Kazooie were considered 2nd party and became very well associated with Nintendo's colorful cast of mascots, plus people voted for them in polls for a Smash 64 sequel in the japanese website long ago. If that's random and out of place, then you have a completely different understanding of those concepts than I do.

People simply like playing as an icon from a game from their childhoods, so their moveset merely works by just referencing the source material without trying hard to do something to make people say "Woah, I've never seen anyone do something like that before!". Sometimes, simplicity just works.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I've played several open world games and I still loved BotW for what it is. yes, it had its flaws, but's it's definitely a 10/10 in my book. It gets the Mogis seal of approval as well. Would you like a sticker too?

Even if people haven't played BotW they're still entitled to their opinion to like and enjoy the game. It's not like if they play another game they'll suddenly dislike BotW's elements, that's being really unrealistic considering how different open world games can be fundamentally.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Hey can somebody direct me to the "post your unpopular opinions" thread? I thought this one was it but I guess not.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
"Random and out-of-place addition" is just a terrible, terrible argument against a newcomer that I thought we outgrew long ago since Snake was added into Brawl. There was a time Banjo & Kazooie were considered 2nd party and became very well associated with Nintendo's colorful cast of mascots, plus people voted for them in polls for a Smash 64 sequel in the japanese website long ago. If that's random and out of place, then you have a completely different understanding of those concepts than I do.

People simply like playing as an icon from a game from their childhoods, so their moveset merely works by just referencing the source material without trying hard to do something to make people say "Woah, I've never seen anyone do something like that before!". Sometimes, simplicity just works.
Regarding Snake, that's actually another unpopular opinion of mine.

Mature characters like Snake, Bayonetta, and Joker are cool, but I don't think Smash is the right setting for them. They feel more like PlayStation All-Star characters TBH.

But yes, my view of iconic is very different from yours. My definition revolves around ordinary people recognizing characters. Most people can name Sonic and Pac-Man, and quite a few could probably recognize Ryu, Mega Man, and Cloud. I really don't think Banjo can hold a candle to those guys. It's definitely not a problem exclusive to him, but if we're gonna get third-parties, I'd rather get some of the biggest names in gaming. If not that, then someone with a ton of moveset potential. From my perspective, Banjo has neither of those qualities. He just feels like a character who got in solely because of nostalgia from longtime Nintendo fans.

Just my opinion, and I already know I'm probably one of the only ones here who feels that way.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Most people can name Sonic and Pac-Man, and quite a few could probably recognize Ryu, Mega Man, and Cloud. I really don't think Banjo can hold a candle to those guys. It's definitely not a problem exclusive to him, but if we're gonna get third-parties, I'd rather get some of the biggest names in gaming. If not that, then someone with a ton of moveset potential. From my perspective, Banjo has neither of those qualities. He just feels like a character who got in solely because of nostalgia from longtime Nintendo fans.
Heck, for a community that loves to talk up gaming and Nintendo history it's awfully ironic that rep(s) from the progenitor of the JRPG genre got mocked and thrown under the bus while a character known for 2 games 20 years ago and then a radical departure 10 years later is treated as the second coming.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Not sure if this is unpopular.

While I'm happy this character is in, their name as "The Hero" is really dumb, generic and forgettable. I'm sure there's a reason why their named that, but it likely won't change my mind.

I'm just calling them Erdrick or Eleven.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not sure if this is unpopular.

While I'm happy this character is in, their name as "The Hero" is really dumb, generic and forgettable. I'm sure there's a reason why their named that, but it likely won't change my mind.

I'm just calling them Erdrick or Eleven.
Shoulda called him the Dragon Warrior or each of them their canonical names.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Like, they did it for all 8 of the ****ing koopalings, you'd think they'd do it for a legendary JRPG icon.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I don't want characters with guns in Smash, not for any purity reasons, but I just don't like how guns work for characters like Joker and Bayonetta. It's silly and stupid I know.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
But yes, my view of iconic is very different from yours. My definition revolves around ordinary people recognizing characters. Most people can name Sonic and Pac-Man, and quite a few could probably recognize Ryu, Mega Man, and Cloud. I really don't think Banjo can hold a candle to those guys.
I have the same definition of iconic as you and I would say that Banjo is about as recognizable to middle America as Cloud, honestly. Maybe even Ryu. The only suggestion I've seen of old people knowing Street Fighter exists is one Family Guy reference, whatever that's worth.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have the same definition of iconic as you and I would say that Banjo is about as recognizable to middle America as Cloud, honestly. Maybe even Ryu. The only suggestion I've seen of old people knowing Street Fighter exists is one Family Guy reference, whatever that's worth.
That's absolutely ridiculous.

Ryu is the face of the fighting game genre, and it's something I've seen referenced time and time again in the form of uppercuts, "round 1, fights," karate gis, and beating up cars, I knew what a "Street Fighter" was before I even knew who Ryu was, references which to this day are still being made.

had I not played Banjo Kazooie when I was young, I would not even know who those characters were.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I noticed a common theme around here is that the people who diss on Banjo and Kazooie are those who had little to no direct exposure to their games and their influence, so they can't relate to them at all and the significance of their addition flies over their heads. And because we humans are creatures who are afraid of the unknown we require to build a connection over time to get us to care.

As people know already, the crossover appeal of Smash lies in the All-Star cast that makes people want to play as a character they can relate to regardless of moveset or tier placement. And the Smash fanbase is very diverse with people from different age groups. A lot of those people grew up during the SNES and N64 era, and the developer Rareware became a very significant force during that time. As JonTron puts it, they were "the Beatles of the gaming industry"; almost every game they put out was a gem. They rebooted the DK franchise and made the DK Country games, giving that series a very distinct feel from how it was originally envisioned that still influences it to this day. And they also made Banjo-Kazooie which basically took the Mario 64 formula and improved upon it. The character Banjo first debuted in Diddy Kong Racing though as a part of the branching DK franchise and was described as Diddy's friend.

People who harp on the trailer's assets just seem to miss the whole reference. Rareware made the characters K. Rool and Diddy, and they are also responsible for creating Banjo & Kazooie. The DK64 and DK Country were platform games just like Banjo-Kazooie, and BK oftentimes had references to those DK games. They are kind of like sister series. So, in the trailer, DK, K. Rool and Diddy are cheering because they are happy to see them back. Because they are welcoming family back to their original home.

Here's the thing. I never played Final Fantasy. I never played Persona. I never played Dragon Quest. ****, my personal views on stuff with the franchise make me actively refuse to play Persona or Dragon Quest yet I'm fine with those characters being added to the point I was outright excited for the first two and rather curious for the Hero having like 16 special moves. Despite this, I cannot find anything exciting about Banjo Kazooie. I played the one game people love of a franchise which has 5 games and I'm fully aware what the references are but I didn't find it exciting. I watched 2 separate let's plays of the first game in case the later parts of the game had something worthwhile to it yet nothing or worse yet, terrible game design with **** like Rusty Bucket, the 1 up in Click Clock Wood that will kill you if you go for it and Gruntilda's quiz. There's also the fact that this was THE definition of wasted potential to me, you go up to Microsoft, a competitor in the industry with two incredibly iconic franchises that outright changed gaming itself but they settled for one of the many cartoony mascot platformers that was inspired by Mario like Blinx, Rascal, Bubsy, Glover, KO Kangaroo, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and many, many more that proved that they couldn't last in the industry. I also feel that if Banjo really is somehow 'haha uniquely charming' then it should be able to stand on it's with a unique CG trailer instead of going "Haha you liked that old trailer right? Want to see the EXACT same trailer? It's a reference, so that means it's ok if we can't prove that this was worth effort!" You can do a reunion style trailer without copying an older trailer. ****, if they wanted to mimic a style of trailer, they should have used Lucas' trailer as he didn't get a CG trailer. "Oh but it's a reference! It must be flying over your head!" It isn't though, ****, it's outright poetic that it's a carbon copy as the only thing Banjo had that other **** back then didn't have was googley eyes because come on guys, grossout humour and sex jokes were VERY common for cartoony characters in the 90's. To me, this is like if instead of Mega Man or Ryu, Capcom let them use Son Son or Ruby Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom