• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I was suggesting that Subspace was exactly a 20+ hour drag with repetitive levels and no payoff.
Uhh...? You wot?
I'll never understand people who claim Subspace is anywhere near as repetitive as World of Light when it at least has unique designs for each level. Hell, just having a different band of characters to choose from each level gives it more gameplay variety than WoL by default. It doesn't drag on for anywhere near as long either, except maybe if you endeavor to 100% it. And frankly, if that game's cutscenes don't qualify as a "payoff" for you, then I reckon that story modes in general might not be for you. I will die on the hill that Subspace's cutscenes are gorgeous even by today's standards, and we'll likely never see an Adventure Mode as eye-catching and fleshed-out as SSE ever again.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Uhh...? You wot?
I'll never understand people who claim Subspace is anywhere near as repetitive as World of Light when it at least has unique designs for each level. Hell, just having a different band of characters to choose from each level gives it more gameplay variety than WoL by default. It doesn't drag on for anywhere near as long either, except maybe if you endeavor to 100% it. And frankly, if that game's cutscenes don't qualify as a "payoff" for you, then I reckon that story modes in general might not be for you. I will die on the hill that Subspace's cutscenes are gorgeous even by today's standards, and we'll likely never see an Adventure Mode as eye-catching and fleshed-out as SSE ever again.
Cutscenes are great. Subspace is a fun movie.

It's just an awful, awful game mode.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And.
My point was that there are much better Square reps than Sora to be in Smash
Well sure, I got characters I want above Sora in terms of Squeenix, but your point is kinda weakened when you critize a character for having a fiasco of a story while at the same time, promoting a character who also has a plot that I don't think many would consider... "good."

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well sure, I got characters I want above Sora in terms of Squeenix, but your point is kinda weakened when you critize a character for having a fiasco of a story while at the same time, promoting a character who also has a plot that I don't think many would consider... "good."
I mean at least is was better than whatever the hell KH is at this point.

Forget Rico, 2B would probably be even better for a Squeenix rep, if we're talking outside of FF.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I enjoyed playing the Adventure modes of both Brawl and Ultimate, to be honest.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Smash will never replicate the magic it used to have. Ultimate has it due to having Smash 64/Melee stages. The mystery was due to less exposure but it, was a good thing.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I honestly don’t see the appeal of bandana Dee when compared to other Kirby characters. It’s not that I hate bandsna Dee, but when compared to a literal eldritch jester in the form of Marx, an amorphous blob in the form of gooey, a rat thief in the form of daroach, Adeline who would provide a super neat art moveset, and so many others, bandana Dee just seems super boring and bland to me. Not trying to hate, but why do people campaign so hard for bandana Dee and not other Kirby characters?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I honestly don’t see the appeal of bandana Dee when compared to other Kirby characters. It’s not that I hate bandsna Dee, but when compared to a literal eldritch jester in the form of Marx, an amorphous blob in the form of gooey, a rat thief in the form of daroach, Adeline who would provide a super neat art moveset, and so many others, bandana Dee just seems super boring and bland to me. Not trying to hate, but why do people campaign so hard for bandana Dee and not other Kirby characters?
The same reason people kept wanting the likes of say, Toad, because the character's been so strongly associated with the main crew, their exclusion feels wrong these days

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'm not an active support of BWD myself and not too familiar with the Kirby series, but the way I see it, it's mostly because he has a the consistently biggest role of any potential Kirby newcomer. His playable role in Return to Dreamland comes to mind.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
The same reason people kept wanting the likes of say, Toad, because the character's been so strongly associated with the main crew, their exclusion feels wrong these days
Toad is a terrible, terrible pick. Like I'd rather have a Fire Snake or Reznor playable than freaking Toad.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Smash Flash 2 is better than Ultimate
I still quite do prefer the gameplay of SSF2 over that of Ultimate. In addition to the fact that SSF2 supports keyboard as a controller, which feels quite a bit more precise to me compared to controller, I also feel like I can pick up almost any character and do some decent-ish combos with them while in Ultimate I feel like I can’t really play anyone beyond my mains at any level beyond purely casual. Although, it could just be more so just familiarity as I’ve played SSF2 way more than I have Ultimate.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I could accept SSF2 more if it was 60 fps

I understand why they did it, but 30 fps is incredibly jarring and honestly makes me not like it

I feel many people prefer it to Ultimate because it's more flashy and it rewards you more for pressing a button. Ultimate requires you to have solid fundamentals to really enjoy the game and at face value can seem awfully shallow if you don't push your character. It's like what we called the "Skill Crevasse" in Brawl, where the game feels less fun at mid levels compared to high levels. I feel this one of the reasons why early meta Ultimate (despite it being an early meta) is criticized as less deep than even Smash 4. If you only put one toe into the water, you are probably going to think the pool is shallow.

As for SSF2, that instant gratification the main reason I used to prefer strongly over Smash 4 and Brawl. Why bother using my brain when I can just push buttons and go crazy LOL

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
I could accept SSF2 more if it was 60 fps

I understand why they did it, but 30 fps is incredibly jarring and honestly makes me not like it

I feel many people prefer it to Ultimate because it's more flashy and it rewards you more for pressing a button. Ultimate requires you to have solid fundamentals to really enjoy the game and at face value can seem awfully shallow if you don't push your character. It's like what we called the "Skill Crevasse" in Brawl, where the game feels less fun at mid levels compared to high levels. I feel this one of the reasons why early meta Ultimate (despite it being an early meta) is criticized as less deep than even Smash 4. If you only put one toe into the water, you are probably going to think the pool is shallow.

As for SSF2, that instant gratification the main reason I used to prefer strongly over Smash 4 and Brawl. Why bother using my brain when I can just push buttons and go crazy LOL
It runs really good if you have an Alienware or Mac

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
People do campaign hard for other Kirby characters, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

BWD surpassed the threshold of "generic enemy/hat goomba" a long time ago. He has a personality and a character of his own. The reason why I imagine he's the most popular is because he has made consistent appearances in modern Kirby games and would fit the role of a modern Kirby rep (something seriously lacking in Smash) better than anyone else.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
I think it's because the 4 characters that are in Kirby games are Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Bandana Dee

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Really unpopular opinion: People who ship any of the children in this game with anyone else are some of the worst members of this community (unless they don't understand how creepy that is). It creeps me out on a level that nothing, not even freaking Bowsette, else can hold a candle to.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No on any pedophilia and other kinds of similar talk related to sexual stuff. If that's what shipping leads to, then be careful how you talk about shipping.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I think the roster is too big and bloated. In addition to just being a minimalist, my biggest issue is that there are just too many matchups to learn. I don't have a lot of time to play video games, so I would prefer a more streamlined experience.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
-It has Bomberman.
-It has Isaac.
-It's getting Waluigi.
-It has Twilight Princess Link complete with bomb arrows. Meanwhile Sakurai went 2 games in a row without thinking of such an obvious thing to do with him.

Not gonna argue here.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Alright I guess it makes sense but to me why people want bwd so badly then, it’s not that I don’t want him it’s just that I think there are numerous other Kirby characters that would bounds more unique and fun to play as, but I get the argument of why he should be included and wouldn’t be opposed at all

I'd be interested in a citing of this. I honestly never read it.

But we do know that by that admission, it wouldn't be a hard rule either way. That's more of a soft rule. It means he's willing to make exceptions. Ken was an exception. But we don't know if he'd make another one, so it's not a consistent rule, basically. I hope that explains it well enough. Also, see my above post where he makes it rather clear that proportions(A.K.A. Bodytypes) have to be the same. Coupled with Reggie's statements as well, we got a clear picture of the hard rule.
Sorry for the late reply. I'm pretty sure I saw something like that somewhere, but I can't really find the source right now.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Its roster is a directionless ****show and most of the new characters play like garbage.

Why have the anime characters at all if you're gunning for any level of professionalism?
Where is Ganondorf?
Why are there only 3 Pokemon and why are they Pikachu, Pichu, and Jigglypuff?
Why is Marth the sole FE character?

Guess that's my unpopular opinion.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Its roster is a directionless ****show and most of the new characters play like garbage.

Why have the anime characters at all if you're gunning for any level of professionalism?
Where is Ganondorf?

Guess that's my unpopular opinion.
1. It's still in development, their jobs aren't making the game for the 50 guys (maybe) so that's why certain characters aren't there yet

2. Goku is top tier unless you're talking about this game being taken seriously and it is taken seriously they made it with the competitive players in mind so there's little start-up or end lag which makes you able to do a ton of combos
3. And what characters play like garbage? They are all fun or really good unless you're just bad at the game which is fine
4. How is the roster directionless? Just because they don't have the characters you like make the game bad?

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
1. It's still in development, their jobs aren't making the game for the 50 guys (maybe) so that's why certain characters aren't there yet

2. Goku is top tier unless you're talking about this game being taken seriously and it is taken seriously they made it with the competitive players in mind so there's little start-up or end lag which makes you able to do a ton of combos
3. And what characters play like garbage? They are all fun or really good unless you're just bad at the game which is fine
4. How is the roster directionless? Just because they don't have the characters you like make the game bad?
It's an in-development product still, but I'm allowed to criticize the choices made.

And the choices just feel out of wack.
Going for purist favorites? Then whey the anime characters? Where's GANONDORF? And why is Bandanna Waddle Dee the only character from the past 15 years on the roster?
Why the lackluster Pokemon selection? And why is it exclusively the "cutesy" ones?
FE had two characters from the start in the main series yet is just sitting there with Marth-- odd for a series Nintendo now considers a major franchise (with their apparently being plans for Ike and Roy that got scrapped).

Related to both FE and Pokemon: why limit things to characters already in Smash? It's a fangame where everything's made from the ground up, so why not be more creative with the choices?
Both series have a crapton of major/popular characters that are easy moveset potential. Zoroark could be a feral rushdown character that creates illusions for both offense and defense. Leif could both be a callback to him initially being considered for Melee and be an all-rounder weaponmaster type character due to his promoted class being able to use every single weapon in the game.
Heck, this could be said of other series' representation in general-- why Sheik instead of, say, Midna?

I tried Isaac, Lloyd, and Sora. Isaac felt funky as hell (maybe if they had gone with a more traditional moveset design and had basic sword normals with synergy in smash attacks and specials he'd have felt better) and both Lloyd and Sora just felt banal and unimpressive.

I guess to TL;DR things it's a fangame that's too predictable/wastes too much of it's potential while simultaneously just having some real WTF choices to it.
Instead of embracing its nature and going the full nine yards, it feels like an awkward mish-mash of too derivative and too out there.

Last edited:

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
It's an in-development product still, but I'm allowed to criticize the choices made.

And the choices just feel out of wack.
Going for purist favorites? Then whey the anime characters? Where's GANONDORF? And why is Bandanna Waddle Dee the only character from the past 15 years on the roster?
Why the lackluster Pokemon selection? And why is it exclusively the "cutesy" ones?
FE had two characters from the start in the main series yet is just sitting there with Marth-- odd for a series Nintendo now considers a major franchise (with their apparently being plans for Ike and Roy that got scrapped).

Related to both FE and Pokemon: why limit things to characters already in Smash? It's a fangame where everything's made from the ground up, so why not be more creative with the choices?
Both series have a crapton of major/popular characters that are easy moveset potential. Zoroark could be a feral rushdown character that creates illusions for both offense and defense. Leif could both be a callback to him initially being considered for Melee and be an all-rounder weaponmaster type character due to his promoted class being able to use every single weapon in the game.
Heck, this could be said of other series' representation in general-- why Sheik instead of, say, Midna?

I tried Isaac, Lloyd, and Sora. Isaac felt funky as hell (maybe if they had gone with a more traditional moveset design and had basic sword normals with synergy in smash attacks and specials he'd have felt better) and both Lloyd and Sora just felt banal and unimpressive.

I guess to TL;DR things it's a fangame that's too predictable/wastes too much of it's potential while simultaneously just having some real WTF choices to it.
Instead of embracing its nature and going the full nine yards, it feels like an awkward mish-mash of too derivative and too out there.
Then how would you make it?

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Then how would you make it?
More divergent while still adhering to the basics of Smash (/no anime characters).

Have the same core cast while featuring a mixture of both older and newer characters that got passed up for Smash. Cement it as something with a more cohesive identity than "Smash 4 but if the roster was cut down and jank".

I understand it has had a dedicated team working on it for years and I don't mean to slight them; it's damn ambitious for a flash-based fan game. It's just got itself in the "uncanny valley" for me, as it were; the game's scope in many ways rivals the very thing it's derivative of, yet that very same thing makes the lack of cohesion all the uglier.

Last edited:

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
More divergent while still adhering to the basics of Smash (/no anime characters).

Have the same core cast while featuring a mixture of both older and newer characters that got passed up for Smash. Cement it as something with a more cohesive identity than "Smash 4 but if the roster was cut down and jank".

I understand it has had a dedicated team working on it for years and I don't mean to slight them; it's damn ambitious for a flash-based fan game. It's just got itself in the "uncanny valley" for me, as it were; the game's scope in many ways rivals the very thing it's derivative of, yet that very same thing makes the lack of cohesion all the uglier.
That doesn't sound any different from normal Smash with some different characters

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
On the topic of SSF2, I haven’t watched any of the anime represented in it nor read any of the manga, but I still have fun playing as the anime characters from time to time regardless.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
That doesn't sound any different from normal Smash with some different characters
Yet characters are the lifeblood of Smash, according to both Sakurai and the fans.
Heck, you had people in this thread saying they liked SSF2 more than Ultimate because of one or two characters; so conversely, am I not allowed to critique the overall roster of that game as directionless if people can get away with professing their love of it over one or two character inclusions?

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Yet characters are the lifeblood of Smash, according to both Sakurai and the fans.
Heck, you had people in this thread saying they liked SSF2 more than Ultimate because of one or two characters; so conversely, am I not allowed to critique the overall roster of that game as directionless if people can get away with professing their love of it over one or two character inclusions?
Yes characters are important but just because 1 or 2 characters you don't like are in the game or the characters you want aren't in the game means you have to hate it. I'm sure out of almost 50 characters you can find at least 1 person you like playing as. That's like me hating Ultimate just because I didn't get Shadow, Geno, Zero, or even Goku

I decided to respond because the anime situation in SSF2 is actually pretty interesting. The anime characters are entirely a result of Grandfather Clause. A while back, the roster was planned to be considerably different than what it is now, considerably less professional much in line with the original Super Smash Flash, and there were plenty of anime characters on that roster. A while back, they decided to gun for professional quality. They took a new direction entirely and rebooted the roster, removing the OCs and almost all the anime characters. Ichigo, Goku and Naruto go lucky; they had all been programmed and added to the roster before the reboot, and it's been made pretty clear they wouldn't be here if it weren't for that. Then they added Luffy just to complete the Shonen 4, and he's already been confirmed to be the last anime fighter in the game. As a TL:DR, they're the remnants of when the game took a vastly different approach.

As for Ganondorf and the Pokemon, we still haven't seen much of the unlockable roster, and there's allegedy still so much left we don't know about, and I'm pretty sure Ganondorf, at least one more Pokemon (probably Mewtwo), and a few of the weirder absences will show up as future unlockables.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I'm not fond of the anime characters being there either but it's not like these guys started out as "professionals". Besides it's not like the actual Smash games don't have borderline amateur **** in them at times like almost everything about Chrom.

Where is Ganondorf?
I've been asking this same question when it comes to the actual Smash games for the past 18 years.

Because they're prioritizing things other than making sure Pokemon and Fire Emblem have a dozen characters each I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom