• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
How? Almost every? Name them. And I'm not talking gameplay mechanics here (I didn't mention his persona). Go ahead. Name almost every fighters unique little additions. Something they have that no one else does. What does Mario have? What does Link have? Captain Falcon? Shiek? Lucas? Mewtwo? R.O.B.? Roy? The list goes on. Name them.

Also, bear in mind that smash taunts and fighter specific dialogue has never been locked to a single fighter always have a minimum of two and the latter does not break the way something works, it just switches out the dialogue spoken.
Luigi has a taunt which spike, and Snake has one unique taunt which can hurt people who are trying to recover. Simon has a victory screen where he keeps swinging his wip.
Roy has 1 different sweetspot close to the base of the sword. Obviously, it's not like Joker, but the has 4 month for him. And MAYBE they did that because that was Atlus wanted, maybe it was a condition. We don't know. And also, the victory poses are kind of exaggerated, but it's not like they're really great. I mean, he jumped into a van. Okay ...

And as a DLC, it's normal for him to have a special treatment, like Cloud in Sm4sh, or Snake Codec in Brawl, while not being a DLC.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Any buffs in particular?
SideB and neutralB are still useless in neutral and her recovery is still too garbage for her actual kill potential. She's not as good at stage control as the other swordies but still seems to be balanced like one, so she's still objectively the worst of the FE bunch, minus Robin since he's the outlier.

I enjoy her playstyle but those buffs were like putting some really good looking paint on a cracked wall. Still cracked.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Luigi has a taunt which spike, and Snake has one unique taunt which can hurt people who are trying to recover. Simon has a victory screen where he keeps swinging his wip.
Roy has 1 different sweetspot close to the base of the sword. Obviously, it's not like Joker, but the has 4 month for him. And MAYBE they did that because that was Atlus wanted, maybe it was a condition. We don't know. And also, the victory poses are kind of exaggerated, but it's not like they're really great. I mean, he jumped into a van. Okay ...

And as a DLC, it's normal for him to have a special treatment, like Cloud in Sm4sh, or Snake Codec in Brawl, while not being a DLC.
I said not mechanics. Roy's is a mechanic, and Simon's is still a normal victory screen.

You've named two, but even they aren't exclusive since at least three fighters have taunts which cause damage.

osby

Smash Obsessed
How? Almost every? Name them. And I'm not talking gameplay mechanics here (I didn't mention his persona). Go ahead. Name almost every fighters unique little additions. Something they have that no one else does. What does Mario have? What does Link have? Captain Falcon? Shiek? Lucas? Mewtwo? R.O.B.? Roy? The list goes on. Name them.

Also, bear in mind that smash taunts and fighter specific dialogue has never been locked to a single fighter always have a minimum of two and the latter does not break the way something works, it just switches out the dialogue spoken.
You are absolutely right. Joker got a special treatment that no other fighter got and as a Persona fan, it feels great.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I said not mechanics. Roy's is a mechanic, and Simon's is still a normal victory screen.

You've named two, but even they aren't exclusive since at least three fighters have taunts which cause damage.
If they're not mechanical, why does such a minor aesthetic cause you so many issues? Joker has one victory screen with three variations of the background music and colors and an occasional substitute of the Morganna car for his model's movement as opposed to every other fighter that has three unique victory screen animations. The ONLY real special thing that Joker has is that he if his final smash takes an opponent's last stock to end the game and the "victory screen" of that animation functions as the overall victory screen. It's such a relatively minor aesthetic feature (and aesthetics don't even impact your game, unlike mechanical stuff. I could understand THAT a little bit more).

What about Bowser Jr.? He has seven completely unique character alts as opposed to just regular alts. That's an entirely unique aesthetic that no other character shares in the roster. Sure, Olimar has Alph, but that's not the "special treatment" of Boswer Jr's seven. And meanwhile, while is Alph the only non-Echo character functioning as just another alt costume? Why was Little Mac the only character in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS to have 16 different alt costumes while everyone else only had 8 total?

There's a few more specific, not mechanic, aesthetic only, areas where characters have had "special treatment." Persona isn't the first franchise to see some special treatment, and neither is Joker the first character. Characters get different representation all the time and certainly get many more unique mechanics that have an impact on gameplay. There isn't some uniform way Smash sees representation of franchises or characters, and there never has been.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
You are absolutely right. Joker got a special treatment that no other fighter got and as a Persona fan, it feels great.
Even for me, as a total non-persona fan I am all for it, I mean yea Sakurai May have gotten a little carried away, but I’d much rather see a ton of effort in a character than it being half-baked to ‘adhere to other characters’ I just don’t see the point, I mean, Arthur97, I’m sure if one of your most wanted characters were to get this treatment you’d be a fan of it too, it’s all perspective my friend

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lucario is supposed to be a high risk, high reward kind of fighter. But being lighter, and having a weaker maximum Aura damage multiplier, are not helping matters for someone who's not even in the top 10 in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Why hurt Lucario's rewards when there's no practical reason to do so?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Except Pichu has been absent for several installments, while Jigglypuff has been a mainstay in every one. Which one would be more fitting for the recurring role?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Lucario is supposed to be a high risk, high reward kind of fighter. But being lighter, and having a weaker maximum Aura damage multiplier, are not helping matters for someone who's not even in the top 10 in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Why hurt Lucario's rewards when there's no practical reason to do so?
Getting hit isn't high risk, high reward. Pichu is high risk/high reward, and this is coming from a person that absolutely loathes Pichu. Rage is a comeback mechanic more than anything else.

Buffing him to the point of being top/high tier would be frustrating beyond belief and there's an easy precedent to see that when you look at MvC3 Dark Phoenix.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Fox/Falco, Snake, and Pit all have their special little conversations. That's a character-specific detail that took a lot more development time and money than Joker's victory screen.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Based on the past few pages here.

I cherish Joker's design in this game, he is fantastic and I'm still having a blast with this phantom thief.
His movement flows like a river, attacks are clean as a whistle and is fairly his gimmick is skill based.
An astounding representative. (Wish I had a PS4, I'd totally play Persona 5 after messing with)

The most well designed fighter yet.
(Flame Shields Up)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Liking Joker and not liking Joker can't both be unpopular opinions, y'all.
Post unpopular opinion on unpopular opinions thread
some people agree
person posts popular opinion because they noticed a lot of people agreeing

And thus the cycle continues.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Y’all are probably sick of the unpopular Joker opinions but I have one in mind too:

-He isn’t really that unique moveset wise, I mean yeah he’s got the Persona gimmick which is kinda cool but that’s kinda it.

His neutral B is a combo of :ultbayonetta:/:ultfox:, his side special is :ultness:, he’s got the down B counter/reflect combo of :ultkrool:/:ultpalutena: and his up B is a mere grappler which I’ll admit can grab opponents but that’s also it.

Plus, you got some of the standard attacks which are in which I saw a tweet showing that they’re similar to several characters and since people are bound to go “WELL THERES 70 FIGHTERS OF COURSE SOME ARE BOUND TO BE SIMILAR.”

Yeah, I get that it’s not easy to make everyone stand out but it’s easy to make some blatantly noticeable. (:ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultridley: who also all debuted in the same game, having the same down smash for instance.)

I think the things that actually make him unique are his whole aesthetics, which btw I do like so people don’t label me as a hater. (FS, victory screens, dialogue, etc)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Y’all are probably sick of the unpopular Joker opinions but I have one in mind too:

-He isn’t really that unique moveset wise, I mean yeah he’s got the Persona gimmick which is kinda cool but that’s kinda it.

His neutral B is a combo of :ultbayonetta:/:ultfox:, his side special is :ultness:, he’s got the down B counter/reflect combo of :ultkrool:/:ultpalutena: and his up B is a mere grappler which I’ll admit can grab opponents but that’s also it.

Plus, you got some of the standard attacks which are in which I saw a tweet showing that they’re similar to several characters and since people are bound to go “WELL THERES 70 FIGHTERS OF COURSE SOME ARE BOUND TO BE SIMILAR.”

Yeah, I get that it’s not easy to make everyone stand out but it’s easy to make some blatantly noticeable. (:ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultridley: who also all debuted in the same game, having the same down smash for instance.)

I think the things that actually make him unique are his whole aesthetics, which btw I do like so people don’t label me as a hater. (FS, victory screens, dialogue, etc)
Calling Eiha a PK Fire copy is totally wrong though. If anything, it's White Pikmin Throw mixed with Arcfire's casting angle.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Funny thing, I don't like playing as any of those characters yet combining those different aspects ended up creating a character i love to play as.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ha, I wish Eiha was PK Fire, I absolutely hate the firing angle of it considering it just flies over most of the cast at short-mid range.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
There are no more joke characters by the way nor was Jigglypuff considered one. She was added due to the convenience of model clonage back in 64 that benefited all the secret characters in that game. It was time constraints andthe fact that it was at the peak of its popularity that added Puff into the roster.

As for Pichu. He was one, yes, but development plans/ideas change in 20 years. Ultimate wanted everyone balanced as a goal. There is no room for joke characters.

I also think the term joke character is way too overused. No - Piranha Plant, Wii Fit Trainer, ROB, and Duck Hunt are not joke characters. They are concepts made to surprise. They are however not added to be a mere laugh.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
There are no more joke characters by the way nor was Jigglypuff considered one. She was added due to the convenience of model clonage back in 64 that benefited all the secret characters in that game. It was time constraints andthe fact that it was at the peak of its popularity that added Puff into the roster.

As for Pichu. He was one, yes, but development plans/ideas change in 20 years. Ultimate wanted everyone balanced as a goal. There is no room for joke characters.

I also think the term joke character is way too overused. No - Piranha Plant, Wii Fit Trainer, ROB, and Duck Hunt are not joke characters. They are concepts made to surprise. They are however not added to be a mere laugh.
I still don't think the term "joke character" can be applied exclusively to characters who are designed to be non-viable. If, say, a sentient baguette somehow became a playable character in the next Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat or something, even if they were hands down the best character in the game for whatever reason, would they still not be a joke character?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
My least favorite characters in the game are the ones where taking damage makes you stronger / fills up a meter, not because I'm against the mechanic but because most characters that have this central design don't allow you manually raise yourself up to that power. Instead it almost has to be treated as incidental as the match progresses, unless you have an odd playbook in mind where you strategically decide to leave yourself open to take damage to get stronger at your own desired pace, somehow.

One of my favorite Pokemon in the games is Lucario, for various reasons. In Smash I hardly use them because, if they were going to go the route of having Lucario get stronger with more damage taken, then I would have loved to have one of their specials make Lucario damage themselves. Since there's no way to do that currently, Lucario is one of the most unwieldy fighters in the game for me. Oddly enough, Pichu, one of my least favorite Pokemon in the world, is someone I vastly prefer playing in this game because their self-damaging attacks are essentially weaponized Rage, and if you think you need the extra kick then you can run around damaging yourself while using Pichu's small and nimble body to dodge attacks in the meantime.

Of the "damage gives you abilities" fighters, Cloud is the one I most regularly use because, again, you can manually raise his Limit Break meter yourself. I just wish Little Mac, Joker, and Lucario could do something similar as well (I also think that Cloud is the one this idea fits the most, given how Limit Breaks work in Final Fantasy VII, whereas it's felt tacked on with Little Mac, Joker, and Lucario).

I saw similar sentiments in the previous page but I felt like making my own post because I see these characters as "having comeback mechanics" rather than "rewarding bad play". Just make it like Cloud where we have the option to raise our meter / power manually, I'll even take it if it fills up less quickly than by taking damage.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm gonna go and and say it.

Joker's Persona doesn't reward bad play that much. At least not as much as Cloud and Lucario.

In fact it actually rewards good play.

To build Persona fast, you need to be thinking three steps of your opponent and use a counter.

And to maintain it, you need to play smart because if you're hit you get less Persona time. The game actively punishes you for playing badly.

You have to be smart with it.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion at all.

It's hard to come out with something entirely unique. There are over 70 characters in this game, and there are many fighting games out there with countless fighters. If you do something, it's very likely that it has been done before, so there are bound to be similarities. What matters most is execution.

Funny however how some people who hate Joker have hypocritically used this as a form of criticism towards him. "Another animu swordsman with a counter" is one of the phrases that gets thrown around, then proceed to tell you why their pick would be 'unique', 'fresh', 'different' and any other appealing buzzword from the book.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
A ghost typing would have been suddenly exciting. The Starters are becoming continuously as an indicator there may never be an opportunity for a new type introduction in Smash like there was for gen 7 tho.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
A ghost typing would have been suddenly exciting. The Starters are becoming continuously as an indicator there may never be an opportunity for a new type introduction in Smash like there was for gen 7 tho.
Are you talking about Gen 6, when the Fairy type was introduced? Or you mean a new type of Pokemon added to Smash, which Incineroar is not? Fire and Dark were both already in the roster.

As for Joker, I think he's going to have problems as a character who's built entirely around a counter mechanic. Grabby characters like Dong are going to absolutely ruin him, as will any opponent with basic read skills.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As for Joker, I think he's going to have problems as a character who's built entirely around a counter mechanic. Grabby characters like Dong are going to absolutely ruin him, as will any opponent with basic read skills.
Unblockable attacks are also something to keep in mind, as they can pierce through counter window frames.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Are you talking about Gen 6, when the Fairy type was introduced? Or you mean a new type of Pokemon added to Smash, which Incineroar is not? Fire and Dark were both already in the roster.
An entirely new type of Pokémon added to Smash.

I feel like the opportunity was finalized comes Smash Ultimate with games of gen 7 already released, not that Incineroar is to blame. Circumstances can be a ** regardless.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well here's an unpopular opinion. I'm not sure if it has been said already (it probably has) but I think there is just too much content in this game. Am I crazy? Maybe. But I feel like when you have so many stages at your disposal that you sometimes forget which ones are there and you stop appreciating them. The same goes for characters. The CSS is just filled to the brim and sometimes I forget "Oh yeah Duck Hunt is in here." These characters start to become less special because their faces are lost in the crowd. The more you have the less likely it is someone will try out a character and give them a shot.

So yeah. I really think less is more. Sakurai and his team could have focused more on making a somewhat smaller roster and making those fighters even better instead of trying to cram everyone in there. Yup this is an unpopular opinion for sure. But I'd be happier with a roster of 65 fighters and 70 stages. That's plenty, honestly.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Well here's an unpopular opinion. I'm not sure if it has been said already (it probably has) but I think there is just too much content in this game. Am I crazy? Maybe. But I feel like when you have so many stages at your disposal that you sometimes forget which ones are there and you stop appreciating them. The same goes for characters. The CSS is just filled to the brim and sometimes I forget "Oh yeah Duck Hunt is in here." These characters start to become less special because their faces are lost in the crowd. The more you have the less likely it is someone will try out a character and give them a shot.

So yeah. I really think less is more. Sakurai and his team could have focused more on making a somewhat smaller roster and making those fighters even better instead of trying to cram everyone in there. Yup this is an unpopular opinion for sure. But I'd be happier with a roster of 65 fighters and 70 stages. That's plenty, honestly.
These are the words of fans that actually give a **, I agree with you 100%. And its actually close to factual the more you look into it. The whole "Everyone is here" ideology is repulsive as hell to me.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I gotta agree in some areas. When it comes to the CSS, a lot of the space is simply clutter. There should be a way to simplify the CSS in a way that increases the size of the icons.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I think there's actually a term for what you're experiencing. I believe it's called the paradox of choice, where the more choices you have, the less satisfied you become. I'm in a similar boat. There's a lot of content in Smash, but I honestly find it hard to really care about most of it.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I have no issue at all with the character pool, but I've been pretty involved in Smash throughout the franchise's life, so I know exactly who's here.

Given the choice between the two, I would prefer quality over quantity. But if they had less stages than they have in the game now, it would just be the same stages but fewer of them. I'm almost certain we wouldn't have gotten better stages as a result of any culling.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well in regards to stages I feel as if a lot of them are either redundant or something barely anyone likes. Do we need both Smashville and Town and City? And very few people really like Hanenbow. But in regards to having fewer returning stages I think it would have allowed the development team to make more brand new stages. We only had three new stages in the base game because they spent most of their time recreating and refining old stages. And honestly I'd rather have a few more brand new stages instead of them trying to bring back as many old ones as they can.

As for characters, Sakurai himself said that because the focus would be "Everyone is Here" that there would be less newcomers as a result. I'm always in the camp of prioritizing the new over the old. It's nice to see a few old faces return but honestly it's not on the top of my list of things I'd want to see in a new Smash Bros. New characters and new stages are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom