• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorta agree with both of these. While I don't like Buzzwole or Pheromosa very much and would rather have Decidueye over either of them, I think Incineroar was the better choice over Decidueye. For one, Decidueye got into Pokken, so it's cool that another Pokemon from gen 7 got the nod for Smash. For another, Decidueye would have been an archer who can fly... that's basically Pit, though could have some overlap with the other archers (the Links and to a lesser extent, Byleth) as well. I'm sure they could have done plenty to differentiate Decidueye, mind you, but when I think about that in comparison to a grappling wrestler, I can't help but feel that Incineroar is more unique by a pretty wide margin. And might be worth mentioning here: I like Decidueye a lot, so I'm not coming from a place of any dislike towards it.
ok thats pretty much the same logic as: hes got a sword therefore hes just like marth

also pit can’t fly

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What about Skull Kid? After showing the new Moon assist and keeping Young Link's final smash secret all along, he was deconfirmed... on the website, after the last Direct.
Skull Kid had a silly chair theory which made me feel not as bad for him because people believed in a chair theory.

The three of them were in a fake leak which didn't become real cause Smash fans believe in fake rumours.
lol forgot about grinch

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
ok thats pretty much the same logic as: hes got a sword therefore hes just like marth

also pit can’t fly
Yeah, I worded that kinda poorly. I didn't mean Decidueye would be the same or necessarily too similar to Pit, just that there would be some similarity there. Whereas with Incineroar, we didn't have much in the way of wrestling and grappling.

And I know Pit can't fly, I almost included a sentence or two about it but I figured my post was long enough. Pit still gets a very "flight" sort of recovery, and I think an extra jump too if I'm not mistaken. Since this isn't Brawl anymore, that's how Smash represents flying, since letting the characters who can fly actually fly would be unbalanced, annoying, or both. The point being, Decidueye would likely have something quite similar to that.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Skull Kid had a silly chair theory which made me feel not as bad for him because people believed in a chair theory.
There was one stupid theory, therefore everything else is OK?...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I worded that kinda poorly. I didn't mean Decidueye would be the same or necessarily too similar to Pit, just that there would be some similarity there. Whereas with Incineroar, we didn't have much in the way of wrestling and grappling.

And I know Pit can't fly, I almost included a sentence or two about it but I figured my post was long enough. Pit still gets a very "flight" sort of recovery, and I think an extra jump too if I'm not mistaken. Since this isn't Brawl anymore, that's how Smash represents flying, since letting the characters who can fly actually fly would be unbalanced, annoying, or both. The point being, Decidueye would likely have something quite similar to that.
no he wouldn't have, he would have more likely had a move like brave bird or leaf storm or maybe even phantom force, decidueye similarities would have been very limited, there arent a whole lot of fighters who use wings and talons to fight. and if youre gonna use the logic of being an archer would make him similar to link then why not the comparison between inceneroar's counter and all the other counter's in the game that by far out number the archers? or the fact that his recovery move functions similarly to other ones in the game. see the idea that inceneroar was always going to be the more unique is undercut by that fact that he based on an archtype more than his character, a few of his moves are similar to others perhaps the same amount that decidueye woukd have had and by the fact that one of his moves was completely made up.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Speaking as someone who doesn't care for Geno that much, his disconfirmation was far and away the most brutal of any requested character.
I'm inclined to disagree as an Adeleine fan, especially one who wanted to just see her in the game, not specifically as a fighter.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The September 2018 direct that revealed Isabelle which got delayed a week due to an earthquake happening in Japan. This lead to Isaac fans thinking this was hinting at Isaac being the next reveal.
I know. But I don't I see why he brings that up in this conversation. Does he mean that some fans being wrong about one thing means that they are stupid, that all the fans are stupid as well, and therefore that the character they support do not deserve to become playable?

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
no he wouldn't have, he would have more likely had a move like brave bird or leaf storm or maybe even phantom force, decidueye similarities would have been very limited, there arent a whole lot of fighters who use wings and talons to fight. and if youre gonna use the logic of being an archer would make him similar to link then why not the comparison between inceneroar's counter and all the other counter's in the game that by far out number the archers? or the fact that his recovery move functions similarly to other ones in the game. see the idea that inceneroar was always going to be the more unique is undercut by that fact that he based on an archtype more than his character, a few of his moves are similar to others perhaps the same amount that decidueye woukd have had and by the fact that one of his moves was completely made up.
His counter is the only one that stacks, though? And Cross Chop causes a dive down which no other recovery move does? If you mean Alolan Whip instead, only Ganondorf's and Ridley's command grabs behave slightly similarly, and they're very different even then.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
His counter is the only one that stacks, though? And Cross Chop causes a dive down which no other recovery move does? If you mean Alolan Whip instead, only Ganondorf's and Ridley's command grabs behave slightly similarly, and they're very different even then.
he goes up then down, like dedede, like ike, chrom, cloud. Alolan whip is the made up move that undermines the argument that was always going to be more unique. Inceniroars similarities are the same level any similarities decidueye would have had

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know. But I don't I see why he brings that up in this conversation. Does he mean that some fans being wrong about one thing means that they are stupid, that all the fans are stupid as well, and therefore that the character they support do not deserve to become playable?
Where in any of that post did I say that? :096: I said the chair theory was funny so I don't personally feel or relate to the pain on Skull Kid's end. I simply believe Shadow and Isaac had it worse compared to Skull Kid. How'd you take one sentence and made it a conspiracy?

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Where in any of that post did I say that? :096: I said the chair theory was funny so I don't personally feel or relate to the pain on Skull Kid's end. I simply believe Shadow and Isaac had it worse compared to Skull Kid. How'd you take one sentence and made it a conspiracy?
1) This post wasn't answering you.
2) My post was asking what you meant exactly. Because yes, when you say you don't feel bad for him "because people believed in a chair theory", that can be interpreted this way.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
1) This post wasn't answering you.
Am I really not the "he" mentioned twice?

My post was asking what you meant exactly. Because yes, when you say you don't feel bad for him "because people believed in a chair theory", that can be interpreted this way.
I don't. It didn't feel like such a strong impact. Skull Kid doesn't feel like such a big request to me. He's like Impa. Or Tingle.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Nah man, I think Shadow (or Isaac) got it the worst considering he was deconfirmed, IIRC, in the last Direct. People were hyping them up the entire speculation season because they weren't even revealed up until that point. And everyone banked on a Shadow echo.
I'm inclined to disagree as an Adeleine fan, especially one who wanted to just see her in the game, not specifically as a fighter.
Fair points, I suppose. My main thoughts on Geno were "this character's support got a huge shot in the arm in the last game, was immensely popular during this game's speculation for two and a half years, got a spark of hope with Min Min, only to be dashed to pieces literally the week before Christmas".

Can't get much worse than that.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Fair points, I suppose. My main thoughts on Geno were "this character's support got a huge shot in the arm in the last game, was immensely popular during this game's speculation for two and a half years, got a spark of hope with Min Min, only to be dashed to pieces literally the week before Christmas".

Can't get much worse than that.
The moment we saw Sephiroth we knew it was over. Slight asterisk on "we" because obviously a lot still believed.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
In terms of missing Nintendo Characters, I’d argue that Tom Nook is in the five biggest all stars missing along with Toad, Waluigi, Eevee, and Meowth (Dixie is an honorable mention though, and BWD is a large request).

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
he goes up then down, like dedede, like ike, chrom, cloud. Alolan whip is the made up move that undermines the argument that was always going to be more unique. Inceniroars similarities are the same level any similarities decidueye would have had
Theirs aren't angleable in the way Incin's is. I feel like that's a pretty huge difference from their straight drops. Also kinda feel like you're ignoring the times I've said Decidueye would have plenty to differentiate itself, just I feel Incineroar Is more unique than a hypothetical Decidueye would be. I feel like we're going in circles and should probably just agree to disagree here. Also, since we don't actually have Decidueye playable, we don't know if it would have had a made-up move or two.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Theirs aren't angleable in the way Incin's is. I feel like that's a pretty huge difference from their straight drops. Also kinda feel like you're ignoring the times I've said Decidueye would have plenty to differentiate itself, just I feel Incineroar Is more unique than a hypothetical Decidueye would be. I feel like we're going in circles and should probably just agree to disagree here. Also, since we don't actually have Decidueye playable, we don't know if it would have had a made-up move or two.
well that was the whole point, you were claiming that inceneroar was always going to be more unique when there was no way of proving that. and the comparison to pit just suggested you didnt know anything of wither character

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The September 2018 direct that revealed Isabelle which got delayed a week due to an earthquake happening in Japan. This lead to Isaac fans thinking this was hinting at Isaac being the next reveal.
One particular Isaac fan brought it up, it wasn't all of us / them.

It's like people love to nitpick on this all the time. Isaac had a lot of merrit to be included in Ultimate, for example, Golden Sun has the most content of all other franchises that don't have a playable character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
does it? good bit of trivia
Yeah it has 2 songs, a few spirits, Isaac as Assist Trophy, and Isaac as a Mii Swordfighter costume. That's quite something for a series that has no playable characters.

Also, the one thing we Isaac supporters really rallied about was that one infamous Rathalos tweet of Sakurai, and how RPG swordsmen where positioned against the Rathalos in a way that's typical of Golden Sun's battle scenes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah it has 2 songs, a few spirits, Isaac as Assist Trophy, and Isaac as a Mii Swordfighter costume. That's quite something for a series that has no playable characters.

Also, the one thing we Isaac supporters really rallied about was that one infamous Rathalos tweet of Sakurai, and how RPG swordsmen where positioned against the Rathalos in a way that's typical of Golden Sun's battle scenes.

oh yes i seem to recall some fans going nuts over it

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Earthbound is overrepresented as it is and absolutely should not get a third character outside of maybe an echo.

Ness and Lucas should both absolutely stay, as they're very special characters but Porky or whoever else should not be made playable.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Earthbound is overrepresented as it is and absolutely should not get a third character outside of maybe an echo.

Ness and Lucas should both absolutely stay, as they're very special characters but Porky or whoever else should not be made playable.
Honestly, Pokemon is overrepresented as not "Every gen even needs to be repped" It just creates more complications where's if every one of Starters where in Smash to rep their specific generation, would be repetitive. Representing Pokemon in Smash has either turned too simple or tricky. That's my unpopular opinion anyway. Pokemon would be fine with just Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario and Greninja while newcomer Pokemon should be eventually replaced for newer popular Pokemon. Keep the cycle.

Ness and Lucas as Earthbound's current representation is rather boring. I think one more character wouldn't hurt. Porky could really add more flavor. He's important enough and has literally been in 2 games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I'll agree to this. But I still sort of hold hope for a EarthBound remake, which unfortunately will never happen.

Porky shouldn't be a newcomer if the next Smash doesn't outdo Ultimate in amounts of playable characters.

My unpopular opinion is that I wouldn't be mad with a Smash Ultimate Deluxe as the next Smash, provided of course it's not a literal copy paste game, and they fix things as the online and move inputs. Maybe add a few character extra, and I'd be more than fine.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Pokemon would be fine with just Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario and Greninja while newcomer Pokemon should be eventually replaced for newer popular Pokemon. Keep the cycle.
well id miss jigglypuff but i could get onboard with this

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
we got very dissapointing choices for DLC. I personally really would have loved __ Doom Guy or Vault Boy. So sad we missed out on AoC Impa / Paya and Ahri.
Also Tabuu should have been in base SSBU. He would have been a much better choice than inkling, who could have replaced Min-Min.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Part of me wishes Sakurai was given more of a budget for Ultimate (and of course, more people to help him and the team out).
would be curious what the end result would be. my guess would be more FE stuff and another kirby's fun pack stage

Laniv

Smash Champion
Any discussion on characters getting in based on being an icon of gaming is incomplete if Lara Croft is not mentioned.

What I'm saying is, Lara Croft is one of, if not the biggest gaming icons not yet in Smash Bros.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Any discussion on characters getting in based on being an icon of gaming is incomplete if Lara Croft is not mentioned.

What I'm saying is, Lara Croft is one of, if not the biggest gaming icons not yet in Smash Bros.
which version?

Top Bottom