• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khao

Smash Lord
We don't need more Mario characters in this game, Paper Mario is kind of a waste for a DLC character vote
I generally feel like they should focus on characters that offer new things both in gameplay and character.

From this point onwards, I don't really care about the franchise they're from (though I'd prefer to see new series rather than old ones).

I just want to see someone that has a unique moveset, and is not an alternate version of an already existing character.

So yah, don't really want to see Paper Mario either.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I actually wouldn't mind certain Non-Video-Game characters as long as they're important to gaming as a whole, such as Wreck-It Ralph, Scrooge McDuck, and Goku. However, as it stands right now, I don't support them.

Athorment

Smash Cadet
...they should focus on characters that offer new things both in gameplay and character.
..I don't really care about the franchise they're from (though I'd prefer to see new series)...
...someone that has a unique moveset, and is not an alternate version of an already existing character.
Funny, having such a unique moveset is the sole reason why paper Mario has the strongest Fan drive in terms of Mario characters (not counting DK or wario series here)

I mean, how many moves can Paper Mario take from Regular Mario? Paper Mario is famous for his hammer, his paper Partners, different Badge/item effects (like the Ground Pound or Hammer Toss), Paper physics (Flat, airplane, etc) so it's not like we would get a Link Vs Toon Link scenario in the least. In fact, Paper Mario has a bigger reason to be in over Dr. Mario...

Sorry to say but the support will only keep coming...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I actually wouldn't mind certain Non-Video-Game characters as long as they're important to gaming as a whole, such as Wreck-It Ralph, Scrooge McDuck, and Goku. However, as it stands right now, I don't support them.
Saying any of those characters are important to gaming is a stretch though...
Especially Ralph.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind Scrooge
Curse me kilt

Khao

Smash Lord
Funny, having such a unique moveset is the sole reason why paper Mario has the strongest Fan drive in terms of Mario characters (not counting DK or wario series here)

I mean, how many moves can Paper Mario take from Regular Mario? Paper Mario is famous for his hammer, his paper Partners, different Badge/item effects (like the Ground Pound or Hammer Toss), Paper physics (Flat, airplane, etc) so it's not like we would get a Link Vs Toon Link scenario in the least. In fact, Paper Mario has a bigger reason to be in over Dr. Mario...
Well, duh. I know Paper Mario would likely have a completely new moveset, but that's only one of the points I was trying to make. I don't want a character to either be a new personality or have a new playstyle, but both. Paper Mario would bring a new playstyle, but he is still an alternate version of a character already in the game. I don't want characters that are "just" a new moveset. I don't want characters that are "just" a new personality either (which is why I was against Roy making it back, though I'm actually glad they put so much effort in his return).

I want both things; a character that's new and original in every way possible. Ryu was brilliant in that sense, and I'd love to see more where that came from. Not necesarily a third party, but a new character that's completely separate from old ones, hopefully from a new series, with a new playstyle that's nothing like anything we've seen in Smash before.

Also.
Sorry to say but the support will only keep coming...
I'm not saying "lurgh, Paper Mario support must end because only I'm right when it comes to this stuff." I'm just saying what I personally want. If you want to support Paper Mario, welp you should totally freaking do it, it's well within your right. That doesn't mean I have to agree.

Athorment

Smash Cadet
Let's add another unpopular opinion into the mix. I would totally be fine if in the next smash (5mash?) they separate Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.
This way they can make a small but speedier (yet still strong) mini bowser (kind of like wario i suppose) that uses new things like little fireball breathing, his screech or the magic paintbrush from sunshine (and thus making his shadow mario final smash make tons of sense).
This while the koopalings retain their smash 4 koopa klown car moveset with hopefully a new final smash that makes sense for them.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
- Smash 4 had the weakest batch of newcomers since Melee. Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, and Pac-Man are the only ones on the same "level" as the greats of Brawl (especially Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, and Sonic).
- Dark Pit is by far the worst character in Smash history, and the most insulting example of Sakurai's bias. If we had to have three clones, Alph, Roy, Pichu, and Young Link would have been better choices.
- The game needs an adventure mode. I liked the Subspace Emissary, but would have gladly taken a beefed-up version of Melee's adventure mode featuring the enemies from Smash Run.
- Donkey Kong is not a Mario sub-series and should not be treated as such. Dixie Kong and King K. Rool should both be playable, and at least one of them should have been playable this time around.
- There should also be at least one Donkey Kong assist trophy. Gogoat and Abomasnow could / should have been Rambi and Lord Fredrik.
- There's no legitimate reason for Ridley to not be playable.
- This also applies to Melee and Brawl, but Mario's permanent frown is incredibly out-of-character.
- Ganondorf shouldn't have a sword or swords, unless it's only for his standard attacks. His specials should be based on his magic attacks from Ocarina of Time (giant energy balls, etc).
- The Zelda series needs at least one more representative. Either Tetra or the "classic" Ganon (i.e. blue pig, cape, trident).
- Wolf and Krystal should both be playable. Krystal is a particularly good choice because, thanks to her staff, she wouldn't have to be a clone of Fox. Her specials practically make themselves. And she's in more than half the Star Fox games (exactly half if you count Zero).
- Eight player Smash is overwhelming and not fun at all, especially on stages that were clearly not built for it, like Yoshi's Island. I can't even see where I am half the time. Cutting the "3, 2, 1, GO!" countdown at the start of each fight makes it even harder.

IxaVerse

Smash Rookie
I think the DLC Mii costumes are useless as I'll never use them because I have better options with the in-game costumes.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
The Koopalings are better than Bowser Jr. and deserve to be in Mario Maker just as much as him.

Last edited:

Athorment

Smash Cadet
The Koopalings are better than Bowser Jr. and deserve to be in Mario Maker just as much as him.
I dont know what that has to do with unpopular Smash 4 opinions, but if we are deviating there.... I want the Kong Family available in Mario Kart as playable characters too.

Khao

Smash Lord
- Donkey Kong is not a Mario sub-series and should not be treated as such.
I actually think the same way about Yoshi. Yoshi still constantly shows up in Mario games as Mario's mounts, and every Yoshi game is still filled with Mario characters. Heck, the first game in the Yoshi series is called "Super Mario World 2."

I agree that Donkey Kong is totally a part of the Mario series, but at least its got an identity of its own. Completely different in style, has its own separate bunch of characters enemies, and they don't really overlap much these days beyond Donkey Kong showing up in the spin offs like Mario Party, or Kart.

But Yoshi? I think giving him an icon of his own is completely unwarranted. It's made even worse by the fact that the stage Yoshi's Island was given the Yoshi icon despite being a stage from Super Mario World, rather than any Yoshi game.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here is my unpopular opinion: Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, and Ivysaur should return.

- Dark Pit is by far the worst character in Smash history, and the most insulting example of Sakurai's bias. If we had to have three clones, Alph, Roy, Pichu, and Young Link would have been better choices.
-Dark Pit was supposed to be a costume. The reason for his inclusion wasn't because of bias, it was because he couldn't use the 3 Sacred Treasures. Dark Pit also has the potential to change his moveset up quite a bit in the next smash game. (I say this because I don't want any character to get a huge mob of haters on their tail like Pichu and Young Link.)

Athorment

Smash Cadet
Actually, the reason Dark Pit is a character is because Sakurai had time to add more characters, but not enough to add completely new ones (like mewtwo, Roy or even Lucas). so he separated Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit to help make the roster feel more complete.
Cheap tactic, but one i am not really against if they add enough differences in properties (see Dr. Mario).

Though you do get those lame people who apparently having 3 clones translate to "The 50+ Roster is trash" and end up nitpicking unnecessarily.

Next Smash i hope they tweak the three clones in order to make them more unique. Lucina has the potential to be a faster and more anime-ish swordfighter than Marth, while Dark Pit has the potential to pull off different dual-wielding techniques that could make him look more aggressive too.

I agree with squirtle and ivysaur returning. Young Link needs Hyrule warriors treatment though and there. If pichu were to ever make it back, he needs new moves. Some of which involve powerful and ranged attacks to justify the "Hurts himself" mechanic.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I know Sakurai wanted another quick n' cheap clone, but he could have chosen Alph, who is at least more than a palette swap of another character. He could even have given Alph rock Pikmin instead of purple Pikmin, instead of changing Pit's Upper Dash Arm. If he wanted to put another one of his own characters specifically, Galacta Knight as a clone of Meta Knight would have been a far better choice.

I agree that Donkey Kong is totally a part of the Mario series, but at least its got an identity of its own. Completely different in style, has its own separate bunch of characters enemies, and they don't really overlap much these days beyond Donkey Kong showing up in the spin offs like Mario Party, or Kart.
You're right about their identity, but Donkey Kong really isn't a part of the Mario series - they're both spin-offs of the same arcade game (called "Donkey Kong," so if you want to be really pedantic, Mario is technically a Donkey Kong spin-off, but that's taking it too far). Mario is a much bigger deal in terms of visibility, cultural impact, and sales numbers, and I think a lot of Nintendo fans have a kind of snobby attitude about Donkey Kong games because the "main" series is primarily Western-developed, but as far as a big crossover like Smash is concerned, they should be on equal standing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I know Sakurai wanted another quick n' cheap clone, but he could have chosen Alph, who is at least more than a palette swap of another character. He could even have given Alph rock Pikmin instead of purple Pikmin, instead of changing Pit's Upper Dash Arm. If he wanted to put another one of his own characters specifically, Galacta Knight as a clone of Meta Knight would have been a far better choice.
Except what would Rock Pikmin do? Be more powerful Purple Pikmin? I think another Pikmin character would be a great idea after we get four or five more Pikmin (Depends if they want to use Bulbmin). That way the new Pikmin character can have as much uniqueness as possible.
On the subject of Dark Pit vs. Galactica Knight: In terms of a quick and easy clone, Dark Pit having a moving model and possibly a bunch of pallet swaps > Galactica Knight not being in the game at all, as well as the inability to use Dimensional Cape or Galexia Slash like Meta Knight.

blackghost

Smash Champion
IF lucina returns make her a faster marth more rushdown less zoning without a tip. But i think she'll get knocked out for a character form the new fire emblem game. I expect robin to return she fits a unique mold. Dont care about ivysaur or squirtle coming back the characters are only there for pokemon gen 1 fans. especially ivysaur ( a stage 2 evolution, seriously?) i wou;d like to see shanti and bayontta show up next round (if not sooner).
keep. goku. out. of. this. game. period.
zelda eeds a new rep i would want midna+wolf link or impa (a heavy female character what!!!!) in the next game. and it may be time to give zelda a new moveset.... it ain't working.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
FOOTSTOOLING SUCKS
And;
Smash Bros. Mario does not resemble Super Mario well enough. Fireballs act like Iceballs, and Iceballs should be a custom of Fireballs. Cape is just... why is Cape in his moveset as his Side Special? And they completely changed it from Super Mario World. Since when did it ever DEFLECT projectiles? And it never turned opponents around either. And the fact that it slows your descent (slightly) is almost completely useless in battle. I hate the move as well because it is a cheap way of completely screwing up people's recovery. If anything, the move should have been included as an Up Special for recovery, since it allows him to fly. However Super Jump Punch is fine as an Up Special.
Now F.L.U.D.D. Why is this move here when the most obvious thing for Mario to have as a Down Special is the famous Ground Pound? Why would Yoshi and Bowser have that move instead of Mario? It's stupid. Also, Mario Tornado never should have been Down Special either, it should have been his Side Special instead of Cape to slow his descent AND NOT LOSE ALL OF YOUR AIR SPEED WHILE DOING SO. Also, Mario Tornado was never portrayed like it should have been. In the air the move doesn't last any more than 0.1 seconds, but in Smash Bros. it lasts like 2 WHOLE SECONDS. And when used on the ground, it should simply be the move where you shake the Wii Remote and it makes you jump with a spin that lasts about 0.5 seconds, except they should have removed the jump from it, unless you actually jump before using it.

Last edited:

Kitsunebi

Smash Rookie
NNID
TenebrousFox
The fact that they brought Lucina into Smash 4 bothers me immensely. I don't even like her in FE: Awakening.
More so with how she was basically made to be 'easymode Marth', and how easy it is to break shields with that damn neutral B.

PF9

Smash Lord
The idea of version-exclusive DLC characters. I want the Ice Climbers back as much as many of you, even if we have to have them only on the Wii U version, and have another character be 3DS-exclusive to make up. A lot of the other aspects of the games are only in one version or the other as well - like, most of the stages, the Stage Builder, Smash Run, Smash Tour, Street Smash, and Special Orders. So there is no good reason we can't have version-exclusive characters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Here's one I know is unpopular:

I want MORE Mario characters. (Captain) Toad's the obvious one, but I certainly wouldn't be against the likes of Daisy, Waluigi(he's Mario, not Wario, let's be honest), Nabbit, Paper Mario, Petey and King Boo in the future either. Toadette not included due to hoping she's a Toad alt.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The fact that they brought Lucina into Smash 4 bothers me immensely. I don't even like her in FE: Awakening.
More so with how she was basically made to be 'easymode Marth', and how easy it is to break shields with that damn neutral B.
To be fair, it is called "Shield-Breaker" for a reason, it breaks shields.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I've kinda warmed up to the idea of having Jeff get the Little Mac treatment and become an EB rep as well as my pig king, he could have come of Snake's old smash attacks and B moves like with bombs and bottle rockets and stuff and have a bubble monkey recovery where he hangs onto Jeff and flies around, and the balloon will have less flight duration but be more durable and the final smash could be the sky runner and be like Olimar's but instead of the night creatures attacking he can have a shock wave he shoots before ascent

Last edited:

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
I want ANDY from Advance Wars to be in Smash.
But more importantly, I want Advance Wars to migrate to the 3DS, and I want a FULL LINE of Amiibos for the COs.
They can unlock maps, be useful in battle, or even form VS. opponents that level up and learn from your habits, like Smash Amiibos.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Here's one I know is unpopular:

I want MORE Mario characters. (Captain) Toad's the obvious one, but I certainly wouldn't be against the likes of Daisy, Waluigi(he's Mario, not Wario, let's be honest), Nabbit, Paper Mario, Petey and King Boo in the future either. Toadette not included due to hoping she's a Toad alt.
I second this.

Athorment

Smash Cadet
I've kinda warmed up to the idea of having Jeff become an EB... he could have come of Snake's old smash attacks and B moves like with bombs and bottle rockets and stuff and have a bubble monkey recovery where he hangs onto Jeff and flies around...
I am Pro Jeff too. Same with Paula and Poo actually.
*Jeff could use a toy-looking gun and have a bunch of projectiles for his normals (kind of like Mega man or Mii Gunner i suppose) while using bottle rockets and special shots for his specials.
*Paula gets a PP mechanic where she gets to use Powered up PSI Smash attacks in ground and Air (like Robin) as long as she has the PP to do so. Her PSI magnet would then restore the PP that runs out, which would also work via simply touching the foe (Cause not every match up involves projectiles). This way the PSI magnet causes little non-flinching damage (Think of Fox Blaster) and restores the PP mid fight.
*Poo would be a Karate Kid in the likes of Ryu, except without the Street Fighter Gimmick. He would instead use PSI to have his own smaller version of Monado Arts (Blue Aura to turn faster, Red Aura to deal more damage or Knockback)
*Porky would not have Snake's Old smash Attacks in my version of him though, simply because it could better suit other "Soldier" characters (Like Andy/Sami from Advance Wars or even Adam Malkovich from metroid Other M <- Yes, Another unpopular opinion. I went there |D ). In my version he would attack with his machine's spider feet to stab, crush with his weight and use some of his Brawl Boss Battle moves for his specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom