• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't care less if K. Rool ever gets into Smash Bros, be it a Mii costume or anything else. People throwing tantrums over the costume is kind of funny, but still ridiculous.

I've said this before but 52 playable fighters in this game (55 if you include the Miis) is incredible and I'm fully content with the roster as it stands now. If you asked me for five characters to still be added or whatever, I wouldn't be able to come up with any. So good for Sakurai and his team for making two new excellent games that I'll be playing for years and years.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kong did not need to be nerfed a second time.

This is my favorite smash game, but it could benefit from being more rewarding of offensive play.

I think that King K. Rool can still make it considering that there are costumes for metaknight and other chars. Even if he doesn't make it, it really does not matter too much to me. The roster as is has far exceeded my expectations.

Tier lists are interesting to observe, however, I don't base my character preferences off of them. All characters, in my opinion, are viable in one way or the other. It just takes time and practice.

I really miss how Marth and Deedeedee's brawl play style (Minus the endless chain grab).

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I am Pro Jeff too. Same with Paula and Poo actually.
*Jeff could use a toy-looking gun and have a bunch of projectiles for his normals (kind of like Mega man or Mii Gunner i suppose) while using bottle rockets and special shots for his specials.
*Paula gets a PP mechanic where she gets to use Powered up PSI Smash attacks in ground and Air (like Robin) as long as she has the PP to do so. Her PSI magnet would then restore the PP that runs out, which would also work via simply touching the foe (Cause not every match up involves projectiles). This way the PSI magnet causes little non-flinching damage (Think of Fox Blaster) and restores the PP mid fight.
*Poo would be a Karate Kid in the likes of Ryu, except without the Street Fighter Gimmick. He would instead use PSI to have his own smaller version of Monado Arts (Blue Aura to turn faster, Red Aura to deal more damage or Knockback)
*Porky would not have Snake's Old smash Attacks in my version of him though, simply because it could better suit other "Soldier" characters (Like Andy/Sami from Advance Wars or even Adam Malkovich from metroid Other M <- Yes, Another unpopular opinion. I went there |D ). In my version he would attack with his machine's spider feet to stab, crush with his weight and use some of his Brawl Boss Battle moves for his specials.
Oh no I meant Jeff having snake's attacks, I feel Porky with a doc ock move set would be the best for him as the mech would be kinda hard to size properly

Athorment

Smash Cadet
...I feel Porky with a doc ock move set would be the best for him as the mech would be kinda hard to size properly
I actually dont think it would be hard. It just takes a look at the sprites for Nintendo to go "Oh, we can use those proportions"
<-If we assume that Ness and Porky are the same/similar height it's easier to assume that the machine would probably land him among big hitters like Bowser and Donkey Kong.
<- This one has even better proportions for things to work out in his machine's favor. Only issue would be that people would make the obvious comparison between brawl's size and this one, but they can get over it in the same way they can get over a 1000% scaled Up Olimar + Pikmin. This one also has proportions and posing slightly similar to Doc Ock shenanigans.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I actually dont think it would be hard. It just takes a look at the sprites for Nintendo to go "Oh, we can use those proportions"
<-If we assume that Ness and Porky are the same/similar height it's easier to assume that the machine would probably land him among big hitters like Bowser and Donkey Kong.
<- This one has even better proportions for things to work out in his machine's favor. Only issue would be that people would make the obvious comparison between brawl's size and this one, but they can get over it in the same way they can get over a 1000% scaled Up Olimar + Pikmin. This one also has proportions and posing slightly similar to Doc Ock shenanigans.
I guess I can see the EB mech sizing properly (that one being the one I want most btw) but yeah I see the M3 one working the best as I think that one will be easier to resize (crusade did a good job with it) and also let's not forget Dedede's resizing lol

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The Mii Fighters could use more general DLC costumes in order to make emulating certain types of characters better. While the Smash-themed gear is great, it's super limited in what it can do.

Stage Builder wouldn't feel so shoddy if there was an Asset Editor feature.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
-I really don't like 'true' clones (Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Sheik, ZSS) and really would like for them to be replaced with new characters, become a costume, or just straight-up forgotten.

-I can't stand Mii's or Wii Fit Trainer or really anything that reminds me of the Wii era.

-Some cognitive dissonance here, but I have a love/hate thing going on with 'generic' characters (not sure if that's the right word). On one hand I hate WFT, Robin, Pokemon Trainer, and Miis; on the other hand I love G&W, Villager, and the idea of having a playable Inkling.

-I don't like gender/character swapping for costumes. I can accept it for Villager, but for the rest, for whatever reason I just can't stand it. I'd prefer them to just stick with one gender, whatever it may be. It makes the character seem more genuine imo.

-I don't like the idea of adding characters that don't bring much to the table, just for the sake of making the roster bigger (the Lucina, Dr.Mario, and Dark Pit, thing). Padding the roster was fine back in the Melee days because it was so small, but now we have 50+ characters, so there really isn't a need.

-I don't like transformations at all.

-Without crossplay, I don't see the point of the making the 3DS version. I think it ended up hurting the final product, and ultimately the sales of the Wii U. Wish it was never made.

- I really, really , reallllllly don't like Ryu or Snake. I just don't. All for having more 3rd party characters, just not the realistic looking guys. Then again, it took me a while to get used to Fire Emblem so who knows.

-I don't like franchises to be "over-represented" no matter how popular they are. I'd rather see Mario have 5 reps and 2 other unrepresented franchise get reps, then Mario getting 7. This applies to Pokemon and Fire Emblem as well.

-Conversely, I don't think Kid Icarus got over-repped, I just think that they chose the wrong character to be the third rep (Dark Pit). If they had put in Magnus or Viridi instead, I'd be cool with it.

-Last but not least I really don't like customs. Just too much. I much prefer vanilla smash.

Last edited:

destronoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destronoma
I really enjoy playing against the CPU. Possibly even more than playing against human players (in an online setting).

It's probably because I don't have to worry about lag or frames getting dropped, whatever the problem may be. I do feel like, even playing against the CPU, I can get better in regards to understanding a character. Is it perfect? Heck no. The CPU reads like crazy and does some damn-near infuriating things, but I have a lot of fun with it. Same with my amiibos.

Is this particularly an unpopular opinion? Well, I think the more hardcore fans of the game would say so.

However, none of that can even begin to compare to playing against somebody in the same room. There's nothing more fun than that.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Love the patch but...

Peach's Castle 64 just sucks balls on every way. It looks so bad and outdated. It's a jumbled mess. It's bad. The only reason I'd ever play on it is for the Slide music.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
-I really don't like 'true' clones (Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Sheik, ZSS) and really would like for them to be replaced with new characters, become a costume, or just straight-up forgotten.
You could maybe argue that Toon Link is a clone (I personally don't think he is) but how are Sheik and ZSS clones? Sure they're really Zelda and Samus, but they don't actually play anything like those characters at all.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You could maybe argue that Toon Link is a clone (I personally don't think he is) but how are Sheik and ZSS clones? Sure they're really Zelda and Samus, but they don't actually play anything like those characters at all.
I meant by the fact they are actually Samus and Zelda. I really don't know a better name to call them then "true clones".

destronoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destronoma
I really dislike the time restriction on uploading replays to youtube.

I don't think 3 minutes is nearly enough time, unless you've just had a really outrageous match. Also, uploading a replay with more than 2 players in the game will be almost impossible.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

I don't think 3 minutes is nearly enough time, unless you've just had a really outrageous match. Also, uploading a replay with more than 2 players in the game will be almost impossible.
I don't think that's unpopular.

The restriction sucks, but it gives me more reason to buy a capture card.

Athorment

Smash Cadet
I don't think that's unpopular.

The restriction sucks, but it gives me more reason to buy a capture card.
It is not unpopular. I feel many will hate the fact that you only get 3 mins. because i was hoping i wouldn't have to rely on buying a capture card in the first place. It is alright for For Fun matches that are 2 mins. long + a tiny bit for sudden death, but many For Glory matches can easily go well over that limit.
Oh you just pulled some crazy stuff? too bad, you took 3:01 mins. go buy a capture card or find someone that can record it for you. Not everyone has the money to purchase one, let alone even access to where they could be bought (Latin America here having to purchase most equipment online from USA)
but yeah, definitively not an unpopular opinion

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Aren't for fun/glory matches 5 minutes though? That is literally the stupidest decision ever made

Athorment

Smash Cadet
Aren't for fun/glory matches 5 minutes though? That is literally the stupidest decision ever made
For Fun matches are 2 mins. long with a little extra in case of Sudden Death. For Glory are open to 6 mins. long for 2 stocks i believe, so camping matches will most likely go well over the youtube limit.

Imo, the way they should have done is via putting a number of mins. as a limit. Let's say... Example: 10 mins. This way you can post 10 matches that are 1 min. long or a single match that is 10 mins. long. (because there is most likely a limit any way. You can only send 10 matches to your friends)

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
For Fun matches are 2 mins. long with a little extra in case of Sudden Death. For Glory are open to 6 mins. long for 2 stocks i believe, so camping matches will most likely go well over the youtube limit.

Imo, the way they should have done is via putting a number of mins. as a limit. Let's say... Example: 10 mins. This way you can post 10 matches that are 1 min. long or a single match that is 10 mins. long. (because there is most likely a limit any way. You can only send 10 matches to your friends)
If Smash allowed you to edit your clips in-game I doubt this would even be a problem. Most people just want a certain point in a match to record anyways.

Athorment

Smash Cadet
If Smash allowed you to edit your clips in-game I doubt this would even be a problem. Most people just want a certain point in a match to record anyways.
Yeah, that would actually be pretty cool too.... but then again... we have THE Stage builder if you know what i mean*cough*LackLuster*Cough*PlzSakuraiFixThatByAddingMoreOptionsViaFreeDLCorSomething*cough*

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Yeah, that would actually be pretty cool too.... but then again... we have THE Stage builder if you know what i mean*cough*LackLuster*Cough*PlzSakuraiFixThatByAddingMoreOptionsViaFreeDLCorSomething*cough*
I don't think any amount of DLC will make the Stage Builder any better. It's just so boring and lifeless, granted I've been spoiled by Little Big Planet and Halo (yes as limited as it is, you can make some really nice levels in Halo), and let's not even talk about PC games. I feel the only way to make Stage Builder better would be to rebuild it from the ground up, and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Athorment

Smash Cadet
I don't think any amount of DLC will make the Stage Builder any better....
Actually, slapping Brawl's Stage Builder stuff on it would automatically make it better. having brawl's assets with sm4sh's free-drawing is what i was expecting, Not "one or the other". plus a few things like Lava that Kills would be pretty sweet too... but yeah, i doubt we are getting anything for it at least in this iteration and it pains me because the solution i just mentioned would probably be a good fix without getting an overhaul of it

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
My problem is that I find Brawl's to be lackluster as well. It was nice at first, but overtime I realized how same-y the levels got, and even those that did try to stray away from the usual, looked boring.

With Little Big Planet, you can make levels that are literally better than what the devs made. I'm not saying Smash should have that, but Brawl's and Smash 4's Stage Builders are pitiful.

eviljoeybonkers

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eviljoeybonkers
3DS FC
4897-6248-0097
Miis are a pointless addition to the game.
Dark Pit shouldn't be in the roster.
I think Mario is a top tier character.

This last one might not be unpopular, but...

Smash 4 is better than Melee. *massive flame shield up*

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Not exactly sure if this is unpopular here, but at other places, people seem to like the new Fox design (as well as Brawl's). I HATE it. That mushed nose look makes him (and Wolf too) look like they came out of a Dr. Seuss book. I'd much rather have his Melee design back (and his Melee voice, but I know that's not unpopular). Same goes for Falco.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Miis are a pointless addition to the game.
Dark Pit shouldn't be in the roster.
I think Mario is a top tier character.

This last one might not be unpopular, but...

Smash 4 is better than Melee. *massive flame shield up*
This post is why I wished we were required to add in our reasons for opinions. Like, why do you believe Mario is top tier vs Sheik or Rosalina?

eviljoeybonkers

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eviljoeybonkers
3DS FC
4897-6248-0097
This post is why I wished we were required to add in our reasons for opinions. Like, why do you believe Mario is top tier vs Sheik or Rosalina?
Probably Rosalina. He can very easily gimp her recovery, and if Mario can get rid of Luma, he could take out Rosalina quickly.

Sheik, I don't think he'd win.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I'd prefer if K. Rool was just a costume.

But honestly now, all the people in uproar about a stupid costume are acting worse than children. This is why we can't have nice things. Everyone has to take offense to the smallest big of fan service that's supposed to be fun for everyone.
And gee, last I checked, late July does NOT mean October! Honestly now! Everyone's up in arms questioning the integrity of the ballot that is no where near over. Get real!
Just, ugh, chill guys. You'll get your grotesque gator thing. Just stop being babies about it.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I think it's in the human nature to freak out at first when such circumstances happen, not something you can really blame K. Rool 's fanbase about, especially since at this point most people have calmed down and are continuing their kampaign as usual.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
It's human nature to act like an absolute spoiled brat who can't appreciate a smidgen of fan service for their freaking character? Cool, can I turn into a bear then?

Speaking of which, Smash, or rather Nintendo in general, needs more bears. Either Banjo or something new.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It's human nature to act like an absolute spoiled brat who can't appreciate a smidgen of fan service for their freaking character? Cool, can I turn into a bear then?

Speaking of which, Smash, or rather Nintendo in general, needs more bears. Either Banjo or something new.
Does the bear costume for Mii Gunner count?

Unpopular opinion: I want to see a Kraid costume for Mii Fighter before any content Ridley related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom