• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
- :4shulk: is disgusting in this game. Not in the fighting skills, but the representation is pretty disgraceful for the character. Most people will only remember him as the "Really feeling it guy" and nothing else. It's really sad.

- :wolf: was more important than :4rob:. Why would Sakurai cut Wolf over ROB anyway ? Wolf is more important, he's one of the main villains of the Starfox series. Yet, ROB was choosed to stay. It's dumb. And don't give me your little excuse "He helped the gaming industry" because he simply did not. He was a failure on it's own and is only remembered by old parents and their kids, or just thanks to the AVGN. But apparently it's better to cut Wolf. Why.

- :4samus: should be stronger than :4zss:.

- :4pit: is annoying and I don't find anything to like him or makes him likeable. At least, he do something unlike his goddess.

- :4falco: should not have been nerfed. It was useless, he wasn't even broken in Brawl. The only thing that made him really good was the chaingrabs and his killpower. They could have just let him like this, since chaingrabs have been removed from Smash 4.

I'm not even sure those opinion are unpopular, but whatever.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

- :4samus: should be stronger than :4zss:.

- :4pit: is annoying and I don't find anything to like him or makes him likeable. At least, he do something unlike his goddess.
Both of these are excellent opinions.

Why is Zero Suit Samus always weaker than Power Suit Samus? What's the point in having a power suit if it's a downgrade? Yeesh.

Unpopular opinion time:

:4sheik: For years I hated Sheik's inclusion. I thought it was because s/he was a one off NPC character who only got in by being attached to the far more important inclusion of Zelda, and that there were far more deserving individuals for the Zelda series than Zelda cross dressing...

...but Hyrule Warriors has made me realise the reason I hate Smash Sheik is there's absolutely no inclusion of that damn harp. You know; the one thing Sheik ACTUALLY did in Ocarina of Time? Playing songs on her harp to attack people would of been far more interesting to me than bouncing around like a fish.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I like Palutena's moveset after analyzing it a bit more. Most of her attacks fit her really well with her goddess characteristics the more you think about it.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I like Palutena's moveset after analyzing it a bit more. Most of her attacks fit her really well with her goddess characteristics the more you think about it.
It does fit her well. You know : laggy moves to represent how her ego is big, thus having moves to show how she doesn't even care about the fight. Yet she got strong moves like her smash attacks.
It's normal, the moveset has been made by Sakurai, who remade Kid Icarus. He knows how Palutena would fight in a smash game.

Though, you have to admit : :4palutena: is pretty boring without her custom moves.

:4sheik: For years I hated Sheik's inclusion. I thought it was because s/he was a one off NPC character who only got in by being attached to the far more important inclusion of Zelda, and that there were far more deserving individuals for the Zelda series than Zelda cross dressing...

...but Hyrule Warriors has made me realise the reason I hate Smash Sheik is there's absolutely no inclusion of that damn harp. You know; the one thing Sheik ACTUALLY did in Ocarina of Time? Playing songs on her harp to attack people would of been far more interesting to me than bouncing around like a fish.
How can you include a harp on a ninja character ? A ninja needs to be sneaky, why would she use her harp in battle ? And remember : the harp doing damages was only showned in Hyrule Warriors, a title that was not here during the developpement of Smash 4. At the time, the harp was an instrument, simple as that. There's no way Sakurai could have thought of adding the harp, even before. If we follow this logic, this means that Link should use his ocarina since it's a "major item for him". However, he doesn't use it. Why ? Because it's not important in battle, just like the harp of Sheik in Ocarina of Time, where the moveset of Sheik is based.

That's why there's no harp in her moveset. Sure, it would have been nice to see it, but there's no real reason to use it.

_gold_

Smash Master
Ever since day one, I've been really disappointed with how they implemented the Wii U gamepad into this game. I didn't want them to go overboard with it, but I mean, I can't even select anything on the menu with the gamepad's pen. Other than stage creation, it basically can be put aside at all times.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
How can you include a harp on a ninja character ? A ninja needs to be sneaky, why would she use her harp in battle ? And remember : the harp doing damages was only showned in Hyrule Warriors, a title that was not here during the developpement of Smash 4. At the time, the harp was an instrument, simple as that. There's no way Sakurai could have thought of adding the harp, even before. If we follow this logic, this means that Link should use his ocarina since it's a "major item for him". However, he doesn't use it. Why ? Because it's not important in battle, just like the harp of Sheik in Ocarina of Time, where the moveset of Sheik is based.

That's why there's no harp in her moveset. Sure, it would have been nice to see it, but there's no real reason to use it.
How is Sheik sneaky at all in a fighting game that's about throwing flashy moves at the opponent? Running up and kicking someone in the head isn't sneaky, and the only thing she did in her source game was use her harp to teach Link some new abilities. That's what she was known for. That and being Zelda in disguise, which did get included in her Melee/Brawl moveset. Hell, a taunt with the harp would of been fine, but it's not referenced at all.

For the record though, I would have loved for Young Link to use the Ocarina back in Melee, or have Link have it as a taunt...but he's Twilight Princess(esque) Link now which I guess is the major argument against that inclusion.

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
I think custom characters, moves, equipment, and stages should all be legal in competitive smash tourneys.

Vanilla smash 4 with 1v1, no items, 2 stock, melee/PM ruleset is SUPER bland in a competitive tournament setting.

Equipment isn't as unbalanced as some people might think. The people saying that it is unbalanced probably haven't actually sat down and tried to play with it. They've probably seen one of those gifs where a little mac with +200 attack and -200 defense 1hitKO's some person who wasn't expecting it. That kind of custom build is actually super easy to counter because you can kill them as easily as they kill you. For example, if you just make a character with + speed and + defense someone who is all attack is going to get wrecked by a faster, tougher character.

With custom equipment legal the meta game would be so much more interesting. More characters would be viable, more play styles would be viable. I highly doubt there would be only one god build that every player uses. As soon as people start wining with a "god" build, someone else is going to make something that counters it, HARD. And so on and so forth until we reach a point in the meta where every character has some sort of ideal build for it that is all around balanced and efficient against any other character type or cast member. Creating a more balanced and efficient game over all.

With equipment added the game would only get faster, increasing character speed, jump height, damage ect. Decreasing knockback, landing lag, shield effectiveness, camping efficiency, and over all decreasing the effectiveness of defensive options. People are going to want to create more offensive characters because entirely defensive strategies are easily broken in a meta where almost anything can happen.

Please hear my plea. For the sake of Smash 4's future. LEGALIZE EQUIPMENT.

Last edited:

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
nah man but like then everything the game has plus all equiment has to be analyzed too much work if you ask me its better to anlyaze defualts but it would be interesting
Its not that bad, really. Nothing is too stupidly over powered. And this way every character could have the potential to be over powered. Which balances itself out in a way.

If you don't believe me, find a few friends and get them all to make the most broken character they can think of. Then battle it out. You'll see that the best player still wins, not the most OP character.

Last edited:

cheesestalker

Smash Journeyman
all alone and using gold bond to body anyone i see
NNID
tacoman12345
3DS FC
4656-5942-1672
yeah i guess it would balance out but then its pointless it would be the same as default and anyways deoending on coustom the match would finish too fast i would rather do a steady normal match that would go till the last hit but with coustom it depends

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
yeah i guess it would balance out but then its pointless it would be the same as default and anyways deoending on coustom the match would finish too fast i would rather do a steady normal match that would go till the last hit but with coustom it depends
Matches finishing too fast would be a breath of fresh air for smash 4. You could always increase the stock count. I found that 3 or 4 stocks with customs on seems reasonable. 2 stocks is definitely not enough.

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
but i mean the point is not to have a breath of fresh air its too feel competitve have the tourney hype and give it your all without coustoms that is how we improve and been doing since melee or smash 64
Smash 4 NEEDS a breath of fresh air. Its basically Brawl but prettier at this point. 64 and Melee are super hype because those games are super hype. Custom moves, equipment, and stages in smash 4 will be what sets it apart and makes it unique from the rest of the smash games. Its really all it has going for it other than the fact that its still *new and exciting*

_gold_

Smash Master
Smash 4 NEEDS a breath of fresh air. Its basically Brawl but prettier at this point. 64 and Melee are super hype because those games are super hype. Custom moves, equipment, and stages in smash 4 will be what sets it apart and makes it unique from the rest of the smash games. Its really all it has going for it other than the fact that its still *new and exciting*
I wouldn't go that far. It feels in between Melee & Brawl. But other than that, I agree.

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't go that far. It feels in between Melee & Brawl. But other than that, I agree.
Well, i like it more than brawl. I feel like its balanced better and everything just kinda makes more sense. Landing is dangerous, as it should be. There is more than one viable character (kinda). Chain grabs are mostly gone. Random tripping is gone. Overall its an improvement over Brawl IMO.

edit: this is probably not an unpopular opinion, pls forgive.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Well, i like it more than brawl. I feel like its balanced better and everything just kinda makes more sense. Landing is dangerous, as it should be. There is more than one viable character (kinda). Chain grabs are mostly gone. Random tripping is gone. Overall its an improvement over Brawl IMO.
I'm sad they took out random tripping... /sarcasm
No, but I do kind of wish I could chain grab still.

Last edited:

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
But I mean I guess if there is balance in the couatoms per say speed/atk not all arrack but still I mean its still good without coustoms
It might be good the way it is, but why settle for less? There is so much depth in custom equipment that it actually makes up for the fact that there is hardly any advanced tech (in comparison to the other smash games at least)

I'm sad they took out random tripping... /sarcasm
No, but I do kind of wish I could chain grab still.
Eh, different strokes. Plus some characters kinda have chain grabs, just not to the extent that they used to. Luigi can d-throw into dair into d-throw into dair on some characters. But with custom equipment on who knows what could happen ;)

Last edited:

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
I think the character design in this game is atrocious. Almost all of the new characters are based around campy play-styles, and the buffs to Yoshi and Sheik are indicators that they had an idea of what people wanted out of a character, but decided to ignore it and leave many of the other characters pretty much exactly the same. Shields and rolling are so ****ing strong you basically don't need to do anything else. I play against virtually only Diddy Kong, Sonic and Little Mac online and I don't think I could hate the game any more at this point. I can't believe this title is getting as much traction as it is because it's absolutely the worst Smash game I could have imagined - yes, far and above worse than Brawl.
/rant
/Wii U Smashboards

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
:4lemmy:is the best :4bowserjr:alt
:4ludwig:&:4wendy: are the worst :4bowserjr:alts
:4darkpit:is awesome
I mained :4diddy: in Brawl and still main him.
:4sonic: is the best character in the game.
:4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4lucina::4marth::4peach::4palutena::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4zelda::4zss:are all terrible
For DLC, I don't care for
Ridley
Dixie King
King K Rool (sorta)
Krystal
Snake
Bayonetta
Rayman
pretty much all the most popular ones

Last edited:

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
I think the character design in this game is atrocious. Almost all of the new characters are based around campy play-styles, and the buffs to Yoshi and Sheik are indicators that they had an idea of what people wanted out of a character, but decided to ignore it and leave many of the other characters pretty much exactly the same. Shields and rolling are so ****ing strong you basically don't need to do anything else. I play against virtually only Diddy Kong, Sonic and Little Mac online and I don't think I could hate the game any more at this point. I can't believe this title is getting as much traction as it is because it's absolutely the worst Smash game I could have imagined - yes, far and above worse than Brawl.
/rant
/Wii U Smashboards
So much ignorance... Shields and rolling have ALWAYS been this strong. Online play has probably just exposed your weaknesses as a player. Very few of the characters are "exactly the same" if you are playing at a high level. I will agree with you that most of the new characters are campy but most of the cast has some kind of projectile anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niroc

Smash Rookie
I hope you are ready for a debate.

I think that vectoring was important to smash4, and could change the meta from from "hoo HAA' to "WAHAHAHA!"

In all seriousness, the meta-game would be much better in my opinion with vectoring, just because you can escape those grab combos.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
smashville is an overrated stage, at high levels of gameplay ice climbers were too mechanically broken and unfun to fight and I'm glad they're out, Chrom should have been in the game as a faster ike variant

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Seing how many characters we have in the roster, and how many we will probably have in the newt game, I'd be okay if All-Star mode is removed after Smash 4. If the number of characters is going to be increased even further, it will make the mode very hard to handle as the difficulty will go naturally go higher due to the sheer number of opponents to fight unless they get ridiculous handicaps. I'd rather take a Melee-type adventure mode over All-Star, because it allows for more creativity and has a lot of fanservice potential. Also make the levels not always the same (both content- and order-wise) to increase replay value.

_gold_

Smash Master
Seing how many characters we have in the roster, and how many we will probably have in the newt game, I'd be okay if All-Star mode is removed after Smash 4. If the number of characters is going to be increased even further, it will make the mode very hard to handle as the difficulty will go naturally go higher due to the sheer number of opponents to fight unless they get ridiculous handicaps. I'd rather take a Melee-type adventure mode over All-Star, because it allows for more creativity and has a lot of fanservice potential. Also make the levels not always the same (both content- and order-wise) to increase replay value.
Well the reason for SSB4's All-Star being so difficult, is because you only have one stock. If you could adjust the stock like in previous games, I think the max was three lives, that would make it a bit more fair. It would still be challenging, but not near as difficult to the extent it is now.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
All you really need to do is increase the number of hearts/tomatoes/fairy jars.

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Snake was the only thing I liked in brawl. Snake should have stayed and sonic should have been cut.

R.I.P SNAKE

_gold_

Smash Master
Snake was the only thing I liked in brawl. Snake should have stayed and sonic should have been cut.

R.I.P SNAKE
He really was a lot of fun to use!
I wonder if it came down to not having the rights to use him in SSB4, or just Sakurai decided to cut him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well the reason for SSB4's All-Star being so difficult, is because you only have one stock. If you could adjust the stock like in previous games, I think the max was three lives, that would make it a bit more fair. It would still be challenging, but not near as difficult to the extent it is now.
You could never adjust stock count for All-Star, but you could adjust stock count for Classic. In All-Star, you had the ability to continue in previous titles though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm sorry but I have never associated goddesses with "auto-reticles".
Still, most of her moveset still suits her even if the auto-reticles didn't fit. :p
That's just more aesthetic thing to reference KI:U's gameplay. Just like when Ness uses his fully charged F-Smash on a Starmen, causing "Smmmaaaaash!" effect to appear.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I prefer the clone characters over the "original ones"
This has transcended onto my everyday life, now I prefer doctors over plumbers and like emo angels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom