• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I don't even know what is considered "overrepresented" anymore....
Something's overrepresented when they replace Classic mode's difficulty settings with it's. Add two new characters instead of one. Then they find a petty excuse to make a clone out of it. And then have the most enemies from any series in Smash Run

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose Kid Icarus may be the only series really considered for "over representation". Then again, I'm not that concerned over how large every series slice of the pie is (especially in the item and Smash Run enemy department as I don't go into those all that often). *shrugs* guess that's my unpopular opinion.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is this thing called "Moroccan Pie" that has chicken and onions...as well as cinnamon and sugar

I'm not sure I like the idea of a something with chicken and onions being sweat

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Something's overrepresented when they replace Classic mode's difficulty settings with it's. Add two new characters instead of one. Then they find a petty excuse to make a clone out of it. And then have the most enemies from any series in Smash Run
To be fair, that's what happens when you ask the director to make this game IMMEDIATELY after he finished the previous game that most of the assets are borrowed from. It's fresh on his mind and you expect him to NOT use them?

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
To be fair, that's what happens when you ask the director to make this game IMMEDIATELY after he finished the previous game that most of the assets are borrowed from. It's fresh on his mind and you expect him to NOT use them?
Honestly, yes. It was time to ditch those ideas.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
The Kid Icarus stuff is annoying for stuff like classic mode. Sure, it's great to difficulties like "8.5" or "7", but I would love to just play Classic mode without caring about the money I need to play it. Before, you wanted to play Classic mode, you pushed some buttons and it was okay, now, you need money to actually go higher in diffculty. Great, I just wanted to have fun in Classic mode, not in an other mode Sakurai.
He could just have let his ideas from Kid Icarus where they were and let them in this series. But apparently, it was easier to just implant the same thing on Smash. Afterall, it will make it more fun.

When I said that Melee's Adventure mode was better, I'm not kidding. Even the Smash 64 one technically is funnier, with the polygone army and rush to the exit. Now it's just :
-Fight those guys.
-Fight more guys.
-Look, they changed colors, this means they are stronger, right ?
-Now fight Miis since we wanted to save time instead of creating wireframes.
-And now fight Master Hand and Crazy Hand. Yeah, Crazy Hand isn't rewarding anymore, we just put him there since everybody knows him anyway.
-Look, the fight with the two hands is useless now since Master Core is the main boss anyway.
-Beat the evil core.
-Win.

I know I'm yelling a lot on the singleplayer, but when you come from Brawl to Smash 4, it's more a downgrade than anything else.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
I really wish they kept single player alone too. I liked not knowing who my next enemy was.
The Kid Icarus stuff is annoying for stuff like classic mode. Sure, it's great to difficulties like "8.5" or "7", but I would love to just play Classic mode without caring about the money I need to play it. Before, you wanted to play Classic mode, you pushed some buttons and it was okay, now, you need money to actually go higher in diffculty. Great, I just wanted to have fun in Classic mode, not in an other mode Sakurai.
He could just have let his ideas from Kid Icarus where they were and let them in this series. But apparently, it was easier to just implant the same thing on Smash. Afterall, it will make it more fun.

When I said that Melee's Adventure mode was better, I'm not kidding. Even the Smash 64 one technically is funnier, with the polygone army and rush to the exit. Now it's just :
-Fight those guys.
-Fight more guys.
-And now fight Master Hand and Crazy Hand. Yeah, Crazy Hand isn't rewarding anymore, we just put him there since everybody knows him anyway.
-Look, the fight with the two hands is useless now since Master Core is the main boss anyway.
-Beat the evil core.
-Win.

I know I'm yelling a lot on the singleplayer, but when you come from Brawl to Smash 4, it's more a downgrade than anything else.
I can agree with this. Miis were a stupid idea to replace Alloys/wireframe.

Last edited:

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
Not sure if this is even an unpopular opinion, but I detest Smash Bros Wii U's 'Classic' mode. It's definitely not Classic mode, it shares nothing in common with the mode in the past installments. I like to call it "Gimmicky Random Pseudo-Tournament Mode". And where's a replacement for Adventure/Subspace Emissary? Special Orders doesn't count. Special Orders is all stuff you could mostly recreate in the multiplayer, especially in Special Smash. That barely counts as a new mode. Crazy Orders is better than Master Orders because it at least has a boss fight at the end. Master Orders is just a bunch of gimmicky Special Smash matches, aside from Horde Battle.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Not sure if this is even an unpopular opinion, but I detest Smash Bros Wii U's 'Classic' mode. It's definitely not Classic mode, it shares nothing in common with the mode in the past installments. I like to call it "Gimmicky Random Pseudo-Tournament Mode". And where's a replacement for Adventure/Subspace Emissary? Special Orders doesn't count. Special Orders is all stuff you could mostly recreate in the multiplayer, especially in Special Smash. That barely counts as a new mode. Crazy Orders is better than Master Orders because it at least has a boss fight at the end. Master Orders is just a bunch of gimmicky Special Smash matches, aside from Horde Battle.
I agree, and 3DS's isn't much better. I hate knowing who I'm going to fight beforehand, I hate being bound to 2 stocks with items on. The only thing I like in single player mode is the Events.

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
I agree, and 3DS's isn't much better. I hate knowing who I'm going to fight beforehand, I hate being bound to 2 stocks with items on. The only thing I like in single player mode is the Events.
I agree, the event mode is pretty good in Smash Wii U, better than Brawl in my opinion, though not as good as Melee.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
The Smash community is really overreacting to coaching. Coaching is needed for inexperienced players who are just starting out. I say just put a limit on it, 30 seconds at most. Just a limit is all we need. Geez, this community just loves to jump to conclusions instead of thinking it out.

And if it does end up getting banned without some sort of compromise, I will be really disappointed.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
  • I feel Sakurai stretch him self thin with this game, he could have made one but instead he make two games with lackluster single player modes. I feel adventure mode is the only thing that is missing in this game I will take the melee one over smash tour.
  • I fine with the classic mode but somethings need to be added, like target blast or race to the finish ( I can see the miis working well in this mode)
  • I like the master core.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I love Diddy dittos and I guess watching other matchups are tolerable as long as there is one Diddy. I hate how Diddy's moves have such low priority and do so little damage and little knock back. It's bull**** how Diddy can only have 1 banana peel out at a time. It doesn't make sense how he whips out banana peels without the banana fruit. Every time he whips out the banana he should simultaneously eat it as well to get healed 18% which also increases knock back like WFT's deep breathing for at least 30 seconds. It would make more sense if his peanut gun shoot bananas that can spin dash and homing attack. I'm not sure if this is considered unpopular but Jesus his up-b needs to get some love since he gets gimped way too much all the time and hence never wins any tournaments. I suggest his up-b gets replaced with Diddy's Final Smash.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Falco should've been cut instead of wolf

And the lack of zelda, kirby, star fox and metroid newcomers disgusts me to uncontrollable levels

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master

And the lack of zelda, kirby, star fox and metroid newcomers disgusts me to uncontrollable levels
I don't think any of them should've been cut. Wolf was a great addition, and I'll never know Sakurai's logic behind that choice.

I couldn't agree more on Kirby and Zelda players, we definitely need more. The lack of is pretty sad. But I don't see any more options from Star Fox or Metroid. Any more from Star FoxFox might get to repetitive. And Metroid, I don't see any more characters from that really working. No, Ridley doesn't count.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't think any of them should've been cut. Wolf was a great addition, and I'll never know Sakurai's logic behind that choice.

I couldn't agree more on Kirby and Zelda players, we definitely need more. The lack of is pretty sad. But I don't see any more options from Star Fox or Metroid. Any more from Star FoxFox might get to repetitive. And Metroid, I don't see any more characters from that really working. No, Ridley doesn't count.
Well there's krystal and yes ridley does count, there's ZERO reason he shouldn't be in this game

Also yes neither should've been cut but if one of them had to it should have been falco

Last edited:

jaketheknight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaketheknight
3DS FC
4854-6438-8016

Shamelessly plugging what I said earlier here, Adam Malkovich from Other M as a Snake clone/replacement.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I think Falco should've been downgraded to a straight-up clone (would've actually made him better) so Sakurai could keep both without losing time. Casuals that play Falco pretty obviously only do so because they like him as a character (almost every advantage Falco has over Fox requires greater tech skill and more intricate knowledge than most casuals have), so he could literally be a skin with a different laser and dair and they'd be satisfied.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
  • I like NES ROB over Famicom ROB (though I tend to flip-flop between them in friendly matches).
  • :4robinm:>>>:4robinf:(Seriously, why does FemRobin get so much attention? I get that female representation in Smash is important and all that, but it's just a costume...)
  • Gold Captain Falcon is literally the worst costume in the game and I'm sick of seeing it every time I go online.
  • :4wario:>:4wario2:(It fits his playstyle better! :troll:)
  • Greeninja is best Greninja costume because Kermit.
  • Fierce Deity Link is one of the ugliest costumes in the game.
  • None of Duck Hunt's costumes are any good. If you change the costume, you're not even playing as the Duck Hunt Dog, you're just playing as a dog.
  • :4alph: is UUUUUUGH. (Is this unpopular? I don't really know much about the Olimar community...)
  • I said it once, I'll say it again::4wendy: is best Bowser Jr. costume.
  • best villager alt 2k15

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
  • I like NES ROB over Famicom ROB (though I tend to flip-flop between them in friendly matches).
  • :4robinm:>>>:4robinf:(Seriously, why does FemRobin get so much attention? I get that female representation in Smash is important and all that, but it's just a costume...)
  • Gold Captain Falcon is literally the worst costume in the game and I'm sick of seeing it every time I go online.
  • :4wario:>:4wario2:(It fits his playstyle better! :troll:)
  • Greeninja is best Greninja costume because Kermit.
  • None of Duck Hunt's costumes are any good. If you change the costume, you're not even playing as the Duck Hunt Dog, you're just playing as a dog.
  • :4alph: is UUUUUUGH. (Is this unpopular? I don't really know much about the Olimar community...)
  • I said it once, I'll say it again::4wendy: is best Bowser Jr. costume.
  • best villager alt 2k15
@Kermit the Ninja approves

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
- Raiden : MGS Franchise
Honestly, i would rather have a cyborg ninja than a war hero. Raiden may seem like a character that would seem uncomfortable to the smash franchise considering he hasn't been in many Nintendo titles and the fact hes featured as a fighter in Battle Royale, but i find this to be totally possible. The MGS remake for gamecube used the same engine as MGS2 which features the first appearance of Raiden and in the MGS3, there is a character referencing Raiden (The reasoning i'm pointing this out is because there is a MGS3 port on the 3DS). We need more characters in the grisly side of gaming! If only Kojima and Platinum games could do another Bayonetta 2 and port MGR to the WII U along with MGS2 when it comes out.

- Cat Mario : Super Mario 3D World
Everyone disagreed with me when i said Cat Mario would be an amazing fighter for smash, they all said he would just be a clone which in my eyes is completely bull. Cat Mario would've had his own diverse moveset based on his appearance in SM3DW. I just don't see why Sakurai could turn this down considering his love for cats and Mario... why daddy?

- Ephraim or Hector : FE Franchise
ENOUGH WITH THE BLADES! Too many sword-wielding lords are in the roster and it's time we made a change with a Lance-wielder or an Axe-wielder. I honestly don't have much to say but, they have top-tier stats.

- Espurr : Pokemon Franchise
I really wanted Espurr to replace Jigglypuff, i seriously did... too bad i was disappointed. Espurr is quite a popular pokemon with it's creepy pokedex entries, adorable cry and just... spooky design... it quickly caught fire in the fanbase, it may of even got more popularity than Greninja or even Jigglypuff! Why didn't you notice it, senpai Sakurai?!

- Shovel Knight : Shovel Knight
Indieness Intensify

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
- Raiden : MGS Franchise
Honestly, i would rather have a cyborg ninja than a war hero. Raiden may seem like a character that would seem uncomfortable to the smash franchise considering he hasn't been in many Nintendo titles and the fact hes featured as a fighter in Battle Royale, but i find this to be totally possible. The MGS remake for gamecube used the same engine as MGS2 which features the first appearance of Raiden and in the MGS3, there is a character referencing Raiden (The reasoning i'm pointing this out is because there is a MGS3 port on the 3DS). We need more characters in the grisly side of gaming! If only Kojima and Platinum games could do another Bayonetta 2 and port MGR to the WII U along with MGS2 when it comes out.

- Cat Mario : Super Mario 3D World
Everyone disagreed with me when i said Cat Mario would be an amazing fighter for smash, they all said he would just be a clone which in my eyes is completely bull. Cat Mario would've had his own diverse moveset based on his appearance in SM3DW. I just don't see why Sakurai could turn this down considering his love for cats and Mario... why daddy?

- Ephraim or Hector : FE Franchise
ENOUGH WITH THE BLADES! Too many sword-wielding lords are in the roster and it's time we made a change with a Lance-wielder or an Axe-wielder. I honestly don't have much to say but, they have top-tier stats.

- Espurr : Pokemon Franchise
I really wanted Espurr to replace Jigglypuff, i seriously did... too bad i was disappointed. Espurr is quite a popular pokemon with it's creepy pokedex entries, adorable cry and just... spooky design... it quickly caught fire in the fanbase, it may of even got more popularity than Greninja or even Jigglypuff! Why didn't you notice it, senpai Sakurai?!

- Shovel Knight : Shovel Knight
Indieness Intensify
I moved this post into the Unpopular Opinions Thread. Just a notification.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Not sure if unpopular but...:
Every time I hear anyone say the two magic words "replace" and "Jigglypuff" used together, I have a strong urge to get on a horse, and charge like a cavalryman with a spear at said person while leading a army of 2000 men at least pelting said person with arrows. Man do I have problems or what?

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I honestly don't see the Sakurai bias everyone loves complaining about. Kirby got one new stage and one retro stage, and zero new fighters (though I guess if you count the 3DS version then there's two new stages). And Kid Icarus got one new stage/one retro stage, a newcomer, and a clone (and really people love to blame Dark Pit for everything but the only other clone they could have made was Alph). So okay yeah, a large amount of Smash Run enemies were from KI:U, but wasn't that just to save time by importing them? If we're going by that logic then wouldn't Sakurai have a Brawl bias since a lot of Brawl's stuff was imported to save time (and quite a bit of it was left unchanged)? Really if anything he has a Mario bias (in every game it's had more stages than any other series), although I would argue that, at least character-wise, it's fine (7 characters and 5 play completely differently, with only 1 clone and another barely semi-clone). We don't need less Mario stages since there's still so much untapped potential (Mario Party, Mario 3D World, Paper Mario, Mario&Luigi, not to mention returning stages), we need more stages from other franchises. I mean c'mon, no new Earthbound or F-Zero stages on the Wii U? Only one new DK/Metroid/Star Fox/Pokemon/Kirby/Zelda/Wario/Yoshi stage on the Wii U?

I'm also fine with the character roster we got. The stage list could use dozens of improvements, yes, but the character roster is perfectly fine. Well, okay I would probably add a DK and Zelda rep (Dixie and Impa maybe?) and bring back the Ice Climbers and Lucas, but it's not as terrible as so many people make it out to be.

And if I'm going by the various reviews I've read about the Wii U version, I'm apparently in the minority when I think that the Wii U version isn't content-packed. The new "main" 1P mode is terrible, the secondary one is similar to Event Mode, and the other minigames (and I do mean mini) are fun but not substantive enough to last very long. Add that to a mode tedious Classic Mode and a more repetitive All-Star Mode and there's not a whole lot to do in this game past the main battles (which, yes, are by far the most important thing and I do know that they spent a lot of time re-building and fine-tuning how some characters work and the overall engine but once you get past that there's not much else to do).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Not sure if this can really be considered "unpopular" anymore, but I have no clue why people are still complaining about HOO-HAH. It can easily be DI'd out of and air-dodged at higher %s, and many other characters have better D-throw setup combos that connect more reliably and/or have more damage potential (Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, R.O.B., etc).
Seriously, get over it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Intensity slider is a mechanic that Sakurai just so happened to start using in Uprising. It's far from the first game to have a "bet in-game money to increase difficulty and get better loot" mechanic. He kept it in Smash because it's an intuitive mechanic that translated well into Smash. Same applies to pretty much any other mechanic that he took from Uprising.

What you are saying is literally no more nonsensical than saying "Mario is over-represented in Smash because jumping is a mechanic".

I'll give you Dark Pit, I don't like his implementation either. But everything else is linked to how Sakurai has directly said that he was thinking of Smash during UPRISING'S development. He came up with these ideas in Uprising, but had planned to use them in Smash since then. Uprising was the guinea pig, and after seeing the positive reception some mechanics had in Uprising, he refined them for Smash. These mechanics are not there to represent Uprising, that's just absurd.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's kinda stupid to say that utilizing a game mechanic from another game means overrepresentation, otherwise you would have to point the finger in other directions as well. Smash Bros. gameplay in general and the Subspace Emissary is mechanically similar to Kirby Super Star; Kid Icarus Uprising's gameplay draws cues from Smash and it's Power Grid and weapon stats are similar to Sticker customization mechanic in Brawl; Smash Run is based off Kirby Air Ride's City Trial and it utilizes a power grid similar to the one previously mentioned; and now Smash 4 uses an intensity bar similar to the one in Uprising. And let's not forget that Brawl's, Uprising and Smash 4's menu design is derived off the one used for Meteos.

Using a mechanic from another series is Sakurai's trademark way of making a game. It's a design choice and it's inclusion has nothing to do with bias, and if it works there is no harm in it. It would be kind of silly to shaft a good idea just to avoid upsetting oversensitive fanboys.

-Fight those guys.
-Fight more guys.
-Beat the evil core.
-Win.

Overreaction pretty much sums the content of this post.

You don't need that much money in order to play on higher difficult levels and even so you get money for pretty much doing anything by just playing the game in almost any mode; I've yet to run out of coins and never found myself not having enough for higher intensities. Oh, and you did had to worry about spending coins in previous iterations, that hasn't changed.

-Fight those guys.
-Fight more guys.
-Beat the evil core.
-Win.
Um, so pretty much every other Classic mode ever minus the Race to the Finish? Fight those guys, fight more guys, fight the hands, fight the final boss, win. I'll give you the lack of race to the finish which is a shame and I also would have preferred unique enemies instead of the Miis but otherwise is pretty much the same.
As for the rest I don't know what you are trying to say there, I mean, the changed colors showcasing their strength, fighting Master and Crazy and then Master Core (which is an awesome boss)... is that supposed to be a bad thing? Sounds like you are also confused and are not even sure about the point you are trying to make. It just seems too overdramatic.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
I think k rool popularity is random,not even a hater from the character,I just thinks it is random.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Counters take no skill to use

Counters can be pretty tricky to get the right timing, especially when falling and your opponent is charging up a Smash. Counter slows down your descent so if you Counter too early, you leave yourself wide open. Of course that could be just me but it still proves my point that even the skill-less can screw up a counter.

Last edited:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334

Counters can be pretty tricky to get the right timing, especially when falling and your opponent is charging up a Smash. Counter slows down your descent so if you Counter too early, you leave yourself wide open. Of course that could be just me but it still proves my point that even the skill-less can screw up a counter.
Like if you read them wrong or their attack misses

they can just go for a grab since you're wide open

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Like if you read them wrong or their attack misses

they can just go for a grab since you're wide open
Pretty much. And counter really does nothing against Super-Armor. There have even been times where I still get hit after successfully countering.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Pretty much. And counter really does nothing against Super-Armor. There have even been times where I still get hit after successfully countering.
Multi hit moves like Palu's uair as well

**** I really shouldn't have picked Marth so much in PM today

I had ****ty reads so I got punished a lot for counter and even when I landed them they missed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom