• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
I don't like the Koopalings. :4bowserjr: is cool, but the Koopalings are just a lightning nobody really cares about at the end of the day.
:4duckhunt: is a great character choice.
:4robinm:>:4robinf:
:4darkpit:>:4pit:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
:4duckhunt: is a great character choice.
Not sure if it's unpopular nowadays (I agree with you btw). Pre-ESRB leak, on the other hand...

I despise how most Pokémon, playable or assist, pronounce their names in Smash. I don't remember well about the English version, but summoning a Spewpa, Eevee or Inkay, for example, is a pain in the French version, with their unbearable high-pitched, unrealistic, unfitting, and overall nonsensical voice, with Snivy being probably the worst offender; some of them like Abomasnow at least have kinda fitting voices, but the fact that they pronounce their names is still facepalm-worthy. For the same reason Greninja annoys me with its "Am... phi!!" "Amphinobi!" PLEASE JUST STOP SAYING YOUR NAME

Yes I know those are the voices from the anime, but I'd rather take believable animal noises over anime voices which mostly consist of Pokémon saying their names. By extension, I hate the fact that Pokémon are supposed to say their names; yes I know it's a fictional universe but even then I find this dumb to a ridiculous degree, and the one from Game Freak/The Pokémon Company/whatever who ever thought that it would be a good idea should be fired straightaway and banned for ever participating to the creation of a fictional universe. Thanks God at least Pokémon don't do this in the main games... (okay there's Pikachu in X and Y but at least it kinda makes sense considering that its name is based on Japanese onomatopoeias, I just hope it will be an isolate case)

Also playing Kirby Triple Deluxe made me dislike how Kirby fights in Smash. At least the special moves are inspired from copy abilities, but his A-moves feel incredibly generic to me now. I mean, Kirby probably has a lot of untapped potential from other copy abilities, and he only uses a few ones in the game, and only as his specials, otherwise he uses almost only generic kicks which seem like they were made from scratch. When I used Fire Kirby I reconized Kirby's dash attack from Melee, and... why was it changed to a kicking whirl attack? I never noticed how unfortunate was this change until now.

Last edited:

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
After playing Mega Man 2, :4megaman:'s Metal Blades are even more underwhelming, and it's already a meh projectile
I find :4rob:'s projectiles to be a little bit on the too spammy side, special mention to gyro

I think that MK's nerfs were perfectly fair and that he's a perfectly viable character
:4ganondorf:>:4falcon:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Let me just say that I reaaaaallly dislike the Lylat Cruise Omega Form stage and I hate it when I have to fight there on For Glory, its sometimes easy to miss the ledge under the ship's wings and die. I also dislike the Wario-themed Omega stages too (both Gamer and Warioware), since the camera doesn't zoom in when the characters are close to each other. What gives?

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I find for fun more fun then for glory. if for glory had a proper doubles, was best 2/3 with its matches, and had starter/counter pick stages that are not final destination with a banning option, basically the tourney setup it be much better. For fun while flawed had variety and doesn't really kill me or my friends play style like a final destination only mode does.

jojr123

Smash Cadet
NNID
jojr123
Unpopular Opinion: Having ganondorf as a semiclone of captain falcon is not that bad. Overall, he represents a completely different playstyle, and is simply... a different character. (However, he needs a knee of justice to call his own XD)

Last edited:

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
Amiibos would be more fun to fight if you could turn off the natural stat boosts from leveling up and just fight them based on what they picked up from your playstyle. Otherwise, they're pretty fun to fight as long as you aren't cheesing the fight with Diddy by using jump cancel banana throws.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
:4pacman: should have a Ghostly Adventures Alt
:4sonic: Sonic Boom Alt with a throw using the electric whip thing he has in the show (acts like samus)
:4roy:>:roypm:
:pichumelee:>:4pikachu:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Who ever said that? I was unaware of people saying they're bad characters.
Probably just a reaction to the early tier lists. I've noticed a lot more people realizing Samus' potential lately however.

C3CC

Smash Lord
-Aside of the clones(there easy to hate), :rosalina: is my LEAST favorite newcomer. Since are announcement I was VERY disappoint about her inclusion even HYPE ME DOWN FOR THE GAME. Even playing with her I don't enjoy it. (Sometime dislike her more than the clones.)
DDDDDDD: But... But why?!

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
DDDDDDD: But... But why?!
Not the person you quoted, but she was my least favorite newcomer as well (probably right next to the inane amount of "retro" characters that do nothing for me because I didn't grow up in that era).

I just don't find her interesting as a character, or playstyle-wise. I knew she would be in because she's in everything remotely Mario-related these days. Galaxy overall leaves a bad taste in my mouth as that one game that everyone loves and I just didn't care for. I do appreciate them trying to give Rosalina more depth as a character, but it seems like they went nowhere with that after SMG1.

That being said, I've nothing against people who like or main her. She's just not my thing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Also playing Kirby Triple Deluxe made me dislike how Kirby fights in Smash. At least the special moves are inspired from copy abilities, but his A-moves feel incredibly generic to me now. I mean, Kirby probably has a lot of untapped potential from other copy abilities, and he only uses a few ones in the game, and only as his specials, otherwise he uses almost only generic kicks which seem like they were made from scratch. When I used Fire Kirby I reconized Kirby's dash attack from Melee, and... why was it changed to a kicking whirl attack? I never noticed how unfortunate was this change until now.
Just want to clarify that the majority of Kirby's A button attacks in Smash are based off of Fighter Kirby's moveset, with the grabs being based off of Suplex Kirby. They aren't random generic moves that come from nowhere.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
-:4rob: means nothing to anybody except the retro guys, the ones who watches the AVGN and old parents that bought it for there kids. And he wasn't really successful to begin with. If he was not in Smash, it would have been the same.

- :4wario2: should have been revamped like in Project M. Seriously, if spamming bikes and farting is considered as a good moveset, I don't know what's good in Smash anymore for some.

- Why not putting other Pikmin characters appart :4olimar: and :4alph:. They could have add the chief of Olimar or Louis (Pikmin 2).

- Please bring back the old Dair of :4mario:, it was better than the false tornado.

- :4darkpit: doesn't have a real personality in my opinion.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Can't you say the same about :4link:? When my brother first got TP (after SPM,) I compared him to Spongebob, and you know how fair that is. :smirk:
I never said :4link: had a personality appart from either being epic or ridiculous.
But :4darkpit: ? Meh, just an other "edgy" character with many others.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Just want to clarify that the majority of Kirby's A button attacks in Smash are based off of Fighter Kirby's moveset, with the grabs being based off of Suplex Kirby. They aren't random generic moves that come from nowhere.
Yeah I used Fight Kirby in the fighting mode (which made me aware about how much Smash's gameplay is inspired from Kirby games) and I definitely recognized some of Kirby's Smash moves like jab, fair and fair (and up smash/uair to a lesser extent). However I'm still wondering about moves like nair, dair, down smash, (new) dash attack, or all of his tilts. Maybe they come from Fight Kirby's moveset from other games?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Yeah I used Fight Kirby in the fighting mode (which made me aware about how much Smash's gameplay is inspired from Kirby games) and I definitely recognized some of Kirby's Smash moves like jab, fair and fair (and up smash/uair to a lesser extent). However I'm still wondering about moves like nair, dair, down smash, (new) dash attack, or all of his tilts. Maybe they come from Fight Kirby's moveset from other games?
The Dash Attack is the Break Spin (Yo-yo Kirby).

It still looks generic, but yeah, it's from a copy ability.

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
I never said :4link: had a personality appart from either being epic or ridiculous.
But :4darkpit: ? Meh, just an other "edgy" character with many others.
Do any Nintendo characters have 'complex' personalities? They all seem rather archetypal, not that that's a bad thing.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
The one third-party I'd like to see from the arcade days, besides Pac himself, is Bubblun from Taito's Bubble Bobble.

Yeeees, this guy. He's pretty unique, y'know? Some of his moves could involve some power-ups from his games, the Puzzle Bobble launcher, rainbow attacks (While a bubble dragon, even!), and of course...popping bubbles with his enemies trapped inside them. And honestly, Bubblun would also fit well within a "red, blue, yellow, green" structure of iconic characters - not that he's as iconic as many people think, but still.

...phew! Way to revive this thread, me.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm sure this isn't unpopular but I want to hear input from others:

The mii fighter icon shouldn't be on the bottom row

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • :4drmario: is no less distinct from his source than :4tlink:. I get utterly baffled when the former is called a "bad clone" and the latter a "good clone".
  • :4rob: may not be necessarily important as a Nintendo character, but I think he's become vital as a representative of SSB itself.
  • I don't have a problem with :4sonic:.
  • I really do fear for the future of this game since most people consider it competitively dead already.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I don't mind Smash Tour. When you are playing with people who understand the basic concept, it can be really fun using the items before each mini-match to screw each other.

I think people take the Melee versus 4 debate way too seriously on the Internet. They are different games and need to be treated as such. Also, playing with items on various stages can be more interesting to watch than some competitive play.

Even though there's more stages in 4, it feels less than any of the other games. I'm kind of disappointed with the stages in 4 Wii U.

Duck Hunt is an amazing character.

I think ROB deserves a spot in Smash. He plays uniquely and represents Nintendo's history. ROB is more important to Nintendo's history than the Ice Climbers.

Roy (Fire Emblem) shouldn't come back. His role is filled by Lucina and even though they play slightly different, I don't want yet another swordsperson.

Kirby's new Final Smash sucks. I liked his Brawl one better. I feel that there are too much sword-slash-instant KO Final Smashes (with an arrow/ laser shot across screen being the second overused one).

Sakurai is an amazing director that balances the diverse needs of his audience. The guy doesn't get enough praise. How many other developers communicate with their fans, releasing new information every day? Only Kamiya and Kojima come close.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
-Even if :4bowserjr: is one of my secondary mains, I don't care about the Koopalings (besides :4morton:).
-I was against :rosalina: and :4greninja: inclusion at first but warmed up.
-I actually like :4darkpit: being playable.
-I never got the hype for :roymelee:
-Ridley is the most overrated hyped character EVER.
-I actually want :pichumelee: to come back, I miss when he was my favorite punchbag.
-I was neutral at :popo: being cut, being more worried about :pt:/:ivysaur:/:squirtle:.
-When I do :4wario: Final Smash, I tend to use the motor cycle only because the adrenalie is real.
-Almost all the times I go t 8-player Smash is solely to put a :4peach: vs :rosalina: vs :4zelda: vs :4zss: vs :4palutena: vs :4robinf: vs :4wiifit: vs :4lucina: fight.
-I actually respect :4jigglypuff:
-I wasn't surprised at :4pacman:'s reveal at all.
-I wish Smash Run was on the Wii U instead of Smash Tour.
-I have yet to clear Classic in 9.0.
-I almost don't use alts.
-I loved :4robinf: since Awakening, but thought it would be weird to say considering she's an avatar. Now due to her Smash inclussion I don't.
-I always lose in For Glory against :4olimar:.
-I think :4alph: should've been made into a separate character playable like :4drmario:, :4lucina: and :4darkpit: who were costumes at the start.
-I liked :4rob: since Brawl.
-I'm sick of :4marth: gender jokes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom