• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
  • :4darkpit: is one of my favorite newcomers
  • I hate that the alts for :4bowserjr: weren't recolors of :4bowserjr:, I want my second favorite mario character to get some love without the koopalings
  • I love :4pacman: himself but I wish he wasn't in smash
  • So they gave :4wiremac:but they couldn't give :rosalina: cosmic spirit alts?
  • :4mii::4miif::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: should have never been implemented into the game.
  • :rosalina: is not at all OP, it takes skill to play her right
  • :4sonic:WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME NINTENDO WAS 2 SLO IN THE THOUGHT OF STEPPING UP THEIR GAME AND REMOVING HIM!
  • :4ganondorf: is REALLY good
  • :4zelda:is not low tier

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
  • :4wario: wasn't nerfed
  • :4falco: is still fully viable
  • Custom moves should be allowed in tourneys (not really unpopular, more 50-50 but it's worth putting here)
  • Calling Duck Hunt Duo a camping character is ridiculous when Link is better at it and has been the same since 64.
  • I like the clones

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I forget if I said this before, but I reeeeeally wish :4pacman:had some sort of voice in Smash. His face is just too damn expressive not to at least have grunts or something. I would've been cool with his voice from World.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
- 5:ridley: was meant to be a playable character (Smashes, K.O icon/animation, down animations, Final Smash (kinda), Specials) but I THINK he was scrapped because 3DS limitations. I'm sure if it can't handle Donkey Kong Something in 60 FPS and decent graphics, 3D Flying Man, and Icies, then it can't handle Ridley.
- :4littlemac: Does not require much skill, he is just so much a noob character that it makes him impossible to use against really good people without being far more skilled than them.
- :4wiremac:Is low tier.
- :4luigi:->:4mario:
-:4darkpit: Will never get his own moveset. EVER. He's a canonical clone of :4pit:
-:mewtwopm: Should end up Top tier. It's been 13 years of waiting for a decent unmodded Mewtwo.
- :5dsamus:, of all characters similar to another, deserves a spot the most. 3 Samuses makes salt, people get their Metroid rep.
- 5:ridley: should be in Smash.
- Sakurai's logic for :5ridley: not being in is just masking the fact that he simply doesn't want him in. Unproved conspiracy opinion here.
- :4miisword:are war veterans from Find Mii I and II, and they were bribed millions to dull their blades and not use any of their OP magic. Doubling your damage output permanently? Bad already. summoning potentially equal goons anytime? :o Blacking out/ whiting out the screen? 2 OP PLS NERF? And we're only getting started! Guranteeed crits forever, widescreen-unblockable 1 damage per sec forever status, Insta freeze, 2 extra equal unescapable hits per hit landed, and (a little) more!
- Because of the above, :4mii:Wizard has DLC potential. Also :4mii:Player and NOW.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mario Galaxy is my least favorite stage in the game.

It might just be the projectiles I've tested, but the gravity gimmick doesn't seem to do anything to them at all. What it does do, is cause the red lightning cue to play, and yet, people never seem to die. This has easily been the most frustrating thing after I've gotten so used to the red lighting meaning either death, or point of no return. It's a shame though, because the stage looks quite pretty, and its music selection is amazing. (Final Boss theme from Bowser's Inside Story hype)

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Although everybody says there is a a lot to do in this game, I feel otherwise, as I'm already bored of every mode except for Smash.

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
I don't like having bigger rosters as I believe quality over quantity.

I didn't like any newcomers :s

:4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit: are severely un-creative clones in comparison to the the big differences between :foxmelee::falcomelee:'s differences were even back in Melee and I don't think The Doc/Lucy/DPit deserved to be " introduced " / returned.

The 3DS version limiting a 400$ system ( since they " had " to be the same ) was a bad idea.

:ganondorfmelee: looked better than his later Twilight Princess ( :4ganondorf:Roman-esq looking? ) incarnations in the games after.

After maining :bowsermelee: since the day I got my Gamecube, I find his overhaul made him boring and unpleasant to play ;-;

Last edited:

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Sakurai and his team were lazy...Sakurai is given too much credit.
-tons of clones and semi clones
-tons of returning stages and few new ones
-only smash mode is good, the others are poorly put together and smash tour makes no sense
-online seems a little bit better but its still crap 20% of my matchups
-the yellow devil

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
-tons of clones and semi clonesl
Three clone characters can hardly be considered a "ton", so unless you are Gabe Newell that amount is extremely low. Especially when compared to Melee's six clones.

-tons of returning stages and few new ones
That's false. The 3DS version has 25 new stages and 9 old ones; the Wii U version has 26 new stages and 20 old ones. So we have a total of 51 new stages among both versions. And considering that Sakurai and his team were making two versions of the game simultaneously for 2 consoles, "lazy" is hardly the word I would use when they accomplished twice the workload this time around.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Let the :shaker: activate!!

Three clone characters can hardly be considered a "ton", so unless you are Gabe Newell that amount is extremely low.
He's right. Don't say that working almost 24/7 is lazy when Valve barely does anything, especially with TF2.

But Sakurai's credit it a bit maaa.

Especially when compared to Melee's six clones.
If you hate clones, Melee should be the worst no questions asked.

And he still worked overtime for it.

-only smash mode is good, the others are poorly put together and smash tour makes no sense
It's okay that normal Smash is your favorite, but the other game modes are fine and work perfectly. I call Smash tour a mix between Mario Party and Lights, Camera, Pants! meaning half-luck and half-skill.

-the yellow devil
Don't feel bad, I hate it too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
-I found Yellow Devil to be completely shrug-worthy in the 3DS version. He's got nothing on the Bowser's Castle bit on Paper Mario, which is pretty much unplayable since you'll likely die during a jump as is. There's often nowhere to land.
-This is the most balanced game yet, with Melee coming in second, followed by 64, and Brawl in dead last(but balance wasn't the key factor of Brawl and it wasn't even designed around VS mode at all, so this is logical enough. Still is annoying, but everything was designed to work best in the SSE... except when it didn't).
-I am unsure if this is Unpopular or not, but nobody actually feels horrible in this game. Every character feels really good and well-made in general.
-Mii Fighters were an awesome idea and aren't just some Sports thing that multiple characters have notes of anyway. They stand out quite well on their own. Also, the ability to outright make nearly anyone you want was a godsend, if only due to the fact the roster isn't going to have everyone you want(although this doesn't apply to everyone, many do feel this way).
-Ganondorf isn't anywhere near being a clone. He's barely a semi-clone and plays too differently. Only clones now in Smash 4 are Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit. And only Dark Pit plays super similarly. The rest are widely different despite the same animations. Namely because they require too much of a different playstyle. Dark Pit is closer to Pichu level of clone, where you had most of the same options. Dr. Mario is more like past Ganondorf, who was far slower but stronger, and had different moves and lag that required a very different approach. Lucina is... strange. The lack of the tipper changes everything. No actual good comparison. Maybe closer to Link and Young Link?

Last edited:

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Three clone characters can hardly be considered a "ton", so unless you are Gabe Newell that amount is extremely low. Especially when compared to Melee's six clones.

That's false. The 3DS version has 25 new stages and 9 old ones; the Wii U version has 26 new stages and 20 old ones. So we have a total of 51 new stages among both versions. And considering that Sakurai and his team were making two versions of the game simultaneously for 2 consoles, "lazy" is hardly the word I would use when they accomplished twice the workload this time around.
I may be overreacting, 4 clones if you want to count falcondorf. I'm just salty about the clones and boring modes is all.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Let the :shaker: activate!!

He's right. Don't say that working almost 24/7 is lazy when Valve barely does anything, especially with TF2.

But Sakurai's credit it a bit maaa.

If you hate clones, Melee should be the worst no questions asked.

And he still worked overtime for it.

It's okay that normal Smash is your favorite, but the other game modes are fine and work perfectly. I call Smash tour a mix between Mario Party and Lights, Camera, Pants! meaning half-luck and half-skill.

Don't feel bad, I hate it too.
Um, when I mentioned Gabe Newell I meant it as a number 3 joke (because there are three clones and gabe never goes past two, amirite?) but I guess your assesment works as well.

Last edited:

Sneether

Smash Cadet
:4marth:should be High Tier
Pro Controller better then GC Controller
:4littlemac:People should stop clinging on to him.........
:4duckhunt:I would have rather had Chrom or Waluigi then Duck Hunt
:4shulk:Is easy to learn if you actually use Tilts

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
I feel as though the regular version of Wily's Castle would be competitively viable if the Yellow Devil wasn't there, so it frustrates me that it is.

I'm a little annoyed that we got Omega stages and yet people in competitive matches continue to play nowhere but Smashville, Town and City, Battlefield and Final Destination.

I'm disappointed in the stage selection for Smash 4, although there are some stages that I absolutely love, like Great Cave Offensive and Kalos Pokemon League.

Banette

Smash Cadet
This seems like the place to get this off my chest: if a character has three different versions of their character theme featured in the game, then they ought to be playable! :124: (<obviously Ashley)
This could apply to :wolf: as well, but that's not an unpopular opinion...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This seems like the place to get this off my chest: if a character has three different versions of their character theme featured in the game, then they ought to be playable! :124: (<obviously Ashley)
This could apply to :wolf: as well, but that's not an unpopular opinion...
Well, I guess that sucks for Ridley, then...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Olimar doesn't feel over-nerfed at all.
He just simply takes much longer to KO than in Brawl.
Though I wish he at least had 4 Pikmin.
I'd have to strongly disagree with that. Mainly because a majority of the newcomers completely disrespect him, and now a lot of the old characters have no trouble with him either.

His main problem isn't the loss in KO power. It's that his main gimmick (i.e. resource management) has been severely downgraded to the point where it may as well not even exist.

Customs help him out a bit, but no amount of polishing to tertiary elements will fix a machine if it's main components just don't work right.

Radirgy

Smash Apprentice
I don't think perfect pivoting will be as widely game changing as people expect it to be. There will be players who master it and run with the perks it gives them but as a 6 frame trick it is going to be something most players will mess up at high level play.

Kymnosk

Smash Cadet
NNID
MutedSound1111
Single Player in this game is the worst out of any smash game. Even though 64 didn't have boss battles (other than Master Hand) at least it had board the platforms and a normal target smash. Classic mode is boring, and it only gets a bit exciting at the end. But...

How many times have I gotten to Master Fortress and died. Where do I start from? From the Hands. I know its part of the challenge to beat all of the 5 forms before the fortress but it is sooooo frustrating. Not to mention you only have a max of 3 tries on the fortress before having to restart completely. I wonder how often does the average player beat the full thing

Nobody would do Master/Crazy Orders if there were no songs or custom moves to unlock, its just special smash after all.

The events are meh....

Also I wouldve liked to see a character from a really unknown series, I know it may be a bad developer choice to represent a franchise nobody knows but if you look at Kid Icarus and how Pit in Brawl revived the series or how Marth in Melee made Fire Emblem popular in the west

Also target blast or whatever its called is just bad, 99% of people that play this mode (including me) just whack the bomb around and hope something good happens

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Also I wouldve liked to see a character from a really unknown series, I know it may be a bad developer choice to represent a franchise nobody knows but if you look at Kid Icarus and how Pit in Brawl revived the series or how Marth in Melee made Fire Emblem popular in the west
Well, I'd argue that they kind of did that (or were at least trying) with the inclusion of Duck Hunt. I mean, Duck Hunt's appearance in Smash got Duck Hunt a VC release, and who knows what else might be done with Duck Hunt in the future?

Kymnosk

Smash Cadet
NNID
MutedSound1111
Well, I'd argue that they kind of did that (or were at least trying) with the inclusion of Duck Hunt. I mean, Duck Hunt's appearance in Smash got Duck Hunt a VC release, and who knows what else might be done with Duck Hunt in the future?
Come on man everyone knows duck hunt. Didnt it come with an NES or Mario Bros or something? And I believe the latest duck hunt reference was a mini game in Wii Play. I mean something completely out there like... did anyone actual hear about this Glory of Heracles thing or is it just me. And like half of the "Other" trophies are characters from games I had no idea existed

And is it unpopular to think that every single newcomer in this game is a good choice? (Even though Duck Hunt Duo looks out of place to me and like, they dont look like their retro counterpart at all)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:4shulk: Is as niche as you can get bro.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
1. I'm glad :lucas:,:wolf:,:squirtle:&:ivysaur:aren't back
2. :4miigun:>:4miibrawl: (both versions)
3. :4drmario:>:4mario: (Because F.L.U.D.D. is garbage)
4. :4lucina:>:4marth:
5. :4tlink:>:4link:
6. Why do they insist on having :4ganondorf:'s up-tilt be complete rubbish?
7. Please give :4sonic: his trademark taunt and either replace the Side-B or the Down-B with something less redundant.
8. I like :4zss:'s heels. I'll miss her old Up-B that was fun to trap people in when there was a platform between me and the victim, but another kill move is welcome.
9a. Why can't :4palutena:'s other specials be used even when the Custom Parts are turned off, like the Miis? (rhetorical)
9b. Why can't I turn on/off custom movesets and custom parts separately? (also rhetorical)
10. New stage builder is near-impossible to get things where you want them. I'm the kind of builder who believes everything must be NEAT 'ND TIDY.
11. SSE > Smash Tour.
12. Why isn't there some version of the Zero Two music playable in Final Destination? (no, still rhetorical)
13. Why is Mewtwo DLC and Ice Climbers aren't? (take the hint)
14. No sonic remixes AGAIN? (don't even)
15. This game's better then Melee. :shaker:

EDIT: 16. Adam Malkovich should not be let anywhere near the roster (unless it's a Mii) at any point of the franchise.
EDIT: 17. Classic Controller Pro > GameCube

Last edited:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
The Brawl and Smash 4 iterations of Battlefield suck. The aesthetics are too bright and generic looking. The whole reason BF is my favorite neutral stage and favorite stage in general in Melee is because of how "trippy" and easy on the eyes the look of the stage is, with the moving/shifting backgrounds and the dark purples and black shades. One of the first things I downloaded from Brawl Vault was the Melee version of BF because I just don't like playing the Brawl version and I hate how it set the "standard" for Smash 4.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
The Brawl and Smash 4 iterations of Battlefield suck. The aesthetics are too bright and generic looking. The whole reason BF is my favorite neutral stage and favorite stage in general in Melee is because of how "trippy" and easy on the eyes the look of the stage is, with the moving/shifting backgrounds and the dark purples and black shades. One of the first things I downloaded from Brawl Vault was the Melee version of BF because I just don't like playing the Brawl version and I hate how it set the "standard" for Smash 4.
That reminds me, Smash 4's version of Final Destination's music was soooo disappointing. Maybe I'm just spoiled because my first SSB game was Brawl, but still.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad :popo: is gone. From a casual perspective, they were incredibly uninteresting, and from a competitive perspective, they were boring to watch and part of the reason why competitive Brawl is so yawn-inducing. (And I don't think they were any better in Melee.)

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I always thought the Melee one was the worst (second to Smash 64's). The background is so dull and pitch black that I don't how I managed to play all those times in that stage version during the Melee era, they could have done something better like they did with Final Destination's backgrounds.
Brawl and 4's Battlefield is way better looking and it goes with the theme of trying to emphasize the game's colors while previous ones were way to dark, plus the day/night cycle is a nice touch so it will always be the superior one to me.

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I'm glad :popo: is gone. From a casual perspective, they were incredibly uninteresting, and from a competitive perspective, they were boring to watch and part of the reason why competitive Brawl is so yawn-inducing. (And I don't think they were any better in Melee.)
Well Project M is living proof that without chaingrabs Ice Climbers are worst no matter what. They'd need their Brawl- versions to be viable without chaingrabs, and even then they're iffy.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I still think Roy (Fire Emblem) should come back. Especially if Dr. Mario and Mewtwo are both in Smash 4.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I never found them interesting either because they were so far from my playstyle and they're almost as much at fault for Brawl's dying competitive scene as MK. For the sake of those who were dedicated IC mains, I'll say I'm largely indifferent to their exclusion.

I always thought the Melee one was the worst (second to Smash 64's). The background is so dull and pitch black that I don't how I managed to play all those times in that stage version during the Melee era, they could have done something better like they did with Final Destination's backgrounds.
Brawl and 4's Battlefield is way better looking and it goes with the theme of trying to emphasize the game's colors while previous ones were way to dark, plus the day/night cycle is a nice touch so it will always be the superior one to me.
Guess that's why it's an unpopular opinion. Everyone in my IRL Smash group loves the Brawl/SSB4 version more, but if we're doing an event at my place or with my console, they'll have to settle for the Melee version. Lol.

I dunno, brightly colored stages (especially those with bright whites/grays abound) bother me because they're not easy on my eyes. I always choose Fountain, BF, Stadium, or FD over Dream Land 64 or Yoshi's when I do competitive Melee stuff. You can't deny that the shifting/changing BG of the Melee version was at least a creative idea. I feel like there are way too many blindingly bright/colorful stages and too few dark/black ones. At least Kongo Jungle and Lylat Cruise are coming back. It's a similar preference I have of PM's purple/blue/black menus over Brawl's white ones.

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
-It annoys me greatly that FG doesn't at least include Battlefield and that there are no stage variants that have the structure of Battlefield (it could have been called gamma or some crap).
-Little Mac is a bottom five character in comp play due to how crucial edge-guarding as become due to the removal of edgehogging and how hilariously terrible his offstage game is.
-3DS exclusive stages > Wii U exclusive stages. Eight player mode is a poor trade-off since there are only two of them (three if you count Melee's Behemoth, Hyrule Temple). Many of the other stages that supposedly supports more than four players don't accommodate them at all and it just makes bad levels like Yoshi's Island even worse.
-There's no reason to use the new/returning (in the case of the doc) clones since most of them are straight downgrades. Lucina is the least bad but that's mostly because the quality drop compared from the original to clone isn't as steep was Dr. Mario's mediocre recovery and DP's need to do more damage to ensure KOs due to changed launch arcs while having to deal with stiffer arrow arcs. Lucina is just straight up "play like Marth except you have slightly higher base damage in exchange for losing the tip".
-Rage is a terrible mechanic that hurts characters that have trouble securing KOs more than it helps (especially Jigglypuff who struggles to slink into triple digit damage numbers), and it's flat out ridiculous with Lucario.
-Outside of the top tiers, this game is pretty well balanced, and even with then tops in mind, it isn't too bad. If balance patches are made in the future to even out the cast, the rage mechanic and how easy it is to play defensively are going to be the two hardest obstacles for devs to overcome unless they do a massive overhaul.
-Luma should not be allowed to act when Rosalina is in hitstun/sleeping/stunned from shield break/helpless state. It's unfair that she's the only character do have something like this. It would be like the player was able to take direct control of Nana if Popo were to have his shield broken or Olimar's Pikmin being able to defend him while he's asleep.
-For Glory, in general, is about as useful as playing MGE in Team Fortress 2 to get better. Just like how nobody would ever camp the pipe on cp_granary's last point or allow a Scout to have the top on cp_process' midpoint to potshot a Soldier to death forever without contest, no tournament would have FD be the only stage at any event. Since MK isn't hilariously broken anymore, Deflino and Halberd are going to be in rotation pools more often, and you can't practice how to perform/counter stage sharking if you career omega variants.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
- Even though :4drmario: should have been an alt for :4mario:, I'm glad that he's his own character. It brings memories back from Melee, especially for me, since he was the first character that I unlocked ever in a Smash game.

- :4palutena: should be the strongest character in the game. It's god, it would at least be normal.
- :4metaknight: should not have been nerfed so much. He needed to be nerfed from Brawl, but not to this extreme.

HylianDuelist

Smash Cadet
:4marth::4lucina:Even with your Nerfs, you are sttil awesome :)
:4alph:Of course the best potential clone is just a Reskin. This guy had potential!
:4ganondorf:What idiot said, "Man Ganon is a perfect clone of Captin Falcon." And got a promotion?
:4ness:If you have been in all 4 Smash games, why does nobody play you? You are pretty cool
:4roy:Is Better than Bowser Jr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom