• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Really, changes to a CPU level8+ wouldn't be nerfing as much as fixing
They get better priority, always. Can not be hit in the air due to spamming airdodges with no real gaps, impossible shield timing (and ability to ignore your attempts to shield unless it's well in advance... enough to grab) and more advanced techniques. They're definitely cheating too (see how well they play against a human vs a cpu, huge difference).

Pick or choose some, not all at once, that's just infuriating and completely ruins the whole game. It's why I've hardly been bothered to even play the wii u version. It's not fun when a successful combo feels more like a glitch than, well, a combo. Smash 4 shoulda been awesome but right now, it's really, really not and it's all thanks to utterly broken ai.

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
I believe most jabs are too strong and the option of holding the button to permanently spam jabs is absolutely terrible and should be removed asap.

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
- The whole notion of "This character that doesn't cater to my personal interests made it into game which means that someone I like will be cut because...well, I say so!" sounds, looks and feels absolutely ridiculous, no one will be cut because someone else made it into the game, a character will be cut because they needed to be cut, and a new character won't be added 'over' an old one.
This right here. This feels like common sense but it's not.

Also: I don't have a problem with clone characters like Lucina or Dark Pit, although I do wish they'd have more substantial differences.
I would rather be good with many characters than exceptional with just one.
I get easily annoyed with people who feel that Little Mac is unbalanced and OP. But in the same vein, I'm also easily annoyed with people who feel that Little Mac is a scrub character. Because of this, I feel the need to mirror match every Little Mac player I find on For Glory and thoroughly destroy them.
I hate Ness mains. I hate fighting Ness. This is completely unfair and I feel bad for it. I only feel this way because Ness annoys me and the Ness main I know irl is a whiny, spammy scrub who is both a sore loser and a sore winner.
I feel that if you singlehandedly bring your team a loss in 2v2 on For Glory (i.e. your negative score eclipses your teammate's good score, your negative score is what made your team lose), you should be banned from 2v2 for an hour.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I believe most jabs are too strong and the option of holding the button to permanently spam jabs is absolutely terrible and should be removed asap.
If Little Mac can have his KO Punch, Rosalina & Luma can have their KO jabs. :V

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
- Link and Bowser are the best characters in the game.

- Link is the character that was made for spamming and then smash/smdash (not an error, is his OP dash attack) attacking until death.

- Sheik got nerfed way harder than Greninja, and Sheik is still overrated.

- I quit when practicing against a random CPU and it turns out to be Olimar. Not OP, just annoying.

- Duck Hunt is better at neutral game than camping game.

- Palutena, Luigi, and Ganondorf are all good characters.

Ones I thought of on the top of my head.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Custom moves are nothing but a stupid gimmick that was way overhyped. Let's just randomly add explosions, wind, paralysis, freeze, etc to everything, boy this sure is sensible. And then let's buff recoveries because they're not broken enough already. Don't get me started on nonsense like Luma Warp, Gust Cape, Extreme Judge, Zigzag Shot, Timber Counter, Hyper Monado Arts, etc. Vanilla is a more refined and better balanced game.

Edgehogging and chaingrabbing shouldn't have been removed. Despite scrubs complaining, they were necessary evils that filled a vital role. Now we have recoveries and shields that are just way too damn good since the biggest check on them is gone.

Stagelist should just be FD, BF, Smashville, Town and City, Lylat Cruise, Duck Hunt, and Kongo Jungle. The rest are crap, and I'm astounded that so many people suddenly want walkoffs and hazards everywhere. "Oh, but this stage only temporarily sucks, that's not too bad!" How about we just play stages that don't suck at all? I'd rather have a few good stages than a lot of mediocre ones.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
Custom moves are nothing but a stupid gimmick that was way overhyped. Let's just randomly add explosions, wind, paralysis, freeze, etc to everything, boy this sure is sensible. And then let's buff recoveries because they're not broken enough already. Don't get me started on nonsense like Luma Warp, Gust Cape, Extreme Judge, Zigzag Shot, Timber Counter, Hyper Monado Arts, etc. Vanilla is a more refined and better balanced game.

Edgehogging and chaingrabbing shouldn't have been removed. Despite scrubs complaining, they were necessary evils that filled a vital role. Now we have recoveries and shields that are just way too damn good since the biggest check on them is gone.

Stagelist should just be FD, BF, Smashville, Town and City, Lylat Cruise, Duck Hunt, and Kongo Jungle. The rest are crap, and I'm astounded that so many people suddenly want walkoffs and hazards everywhere. "Oh, but this stage only temporarily sucks, that's not too bad!" How about we just play stages that don't suck at all? I'd rather have a few good stages than a lot of mediocre ones.
Remember that the majority of players are casual players. Nintendo couldn't just appeal to the competitive crowd and lose tons of revenue. Custom moves, no edgehogging, and stage variety are all part of the appeal of this game.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
By all means, have gimmicks for casual play, I'm just complaining about tournaments running them.

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
I don't miss the Ice Climbers. I couldn't care less that they were cut.
I don't care about getting Ridley in the game.
I think that people who complain about Dark Pit and Lucina being in the game and then complain about Roy, Pichu, Lucas and Wolf being cut are hypocrites.
I don't want Roy back purely because I've played Sword of Seals and cannot stand him.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I think Smash 4 will do well competitively and not be dropped like Brawl was. It just needs to rise out of Brawl's infamy.

Kirby and Ganondorf are both viable. Overall I think Smash 4 has fantastic character balance.

Also, I refuse to believe Palutena is the worst character. I just don't see it. This is coming from a guy who mains Mewtwo in Melee and understands why he sucks.

CPUs are bad for training against. They rely largely on perfect shielding and button reads, so it gets boring. You're better off just practicing techs against low-level CPUs if you can't get a second player.

I liked the SSE in Brawl and honestly don't get why it was so hated. I really enjoyed seeing all the characters interact and it honestly wasn't that hard even on the harder difficulties. Yes, even the Great Maze. It was easy. My one complaint is the use of generic enemies and environments versus actual Nintendo enemies/locales. Huge missed opportunity there. Yeah, I get that it took development time away from stuff like Mewtwo, but at least it gave me something to do if I didn't have someone else to play with, which is something Smash 4 lacks severely. I've said it before, but Smash 4 has a laughably shallow singleplayer experience. Event mode in SSBWiiU is the one saving grace to the alternative of beating up CPUs or biting the bullet and playing online. I'm hella salty over not getting an SSE-equivalent in 4. Like I knew it wouldn't happen and I still miss it. The whole "people will leak our cutscenes" excuse is BS. If that were a valid reason, every game with a story mode with cutscenes would suffer this fate. Smh.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if these are unpopular, but here are some opinions.

1. Air Dodges
I feel Air Dodging should be limited to one usage instead of infinite until you land on the ground. Reason for this being is at the current moment, you can pretty much spam it, and, I find it makes off the ledge encounters too safe mixed with the ledge-grab invincibility.

2. Single Player (Wii U)
I feel the Single Player modes for the most part are very lousy and are the weakest in Smash Bros. history. Classic Mode lacks fighting people in their world for the most part so, it feels like you aren't playing a traditional fighting game arcade mode anymore, it feels like you're just playing various Smash matches. The over usage of 6 and 8 player modes gets tedious as well. Crazy Orders is a great idea with poor execution.

The items remove the skill involved and it becomes a mode where you may randomly die after progressing well due to a bomb spawning on you. Also because the only real way to play the mode a significant way is utilize Custom to just wreck with the Home-Run Bat and various other things. I feel if it was no items, and you could get decently far without Customs, It'd actually be a very fun survival mode. Smash Tour at it's core is a real tedious and bland while uninteresting version of Mario Party that feels more like a grind than anything. I also don't really care for Target Smash as I feel it's quite random and I would have preferred something better than Angry Birds.

Master Orders I also do not care for because I really don't see the enjoyment of trying to unlock a CD with 2.0 speed Intense 17 Lucina Horde mode on Wuhu Island.

I also feel unlocking things in this game is such a tremendous grind and that combined with you losing items when you lose, really makes the grind worse. I wish there were more sure-fire ways to get the things you want such as Custom Moves.

3. Zelda's Phantom Attack
I feel this move is generally useless and doesn't have much usage outside of team modes. It's quite slow, requires charging, and Din's Fire is pretty much better than it in every way outside of using it as a shield which, it's generally too slow to use as that to begin with. I also feel the idea of non Toon Zelda using a Toon move to be rather odd, you'd think they'd give Zelda a more main Zelda-esque move.

4. Pac-Man in Smash
I don't really care for Pac-Man being in Smash. I like Pac-Man himself quite a bit, but him and characters like ROB I feel are not every interesting in the Fighting game genre. I didn't mind ROB in Mario Kart DS, but that is because it doesn't matter for a racing game since the character's involvement is generally the same.

5. Franchise Representation Characters
I find that that characters designed off games they weren't in, or, use other franchises's things tend to be the least interesting characters cause they don't feel enough like a solid single entity and more of just a random assortment that was created due to lack of creativity or lack of things they could use. That being said, I don't mind them so much anymore, but I do prefer characters that are just from their own series in their move sets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People care way too much about tiers this early in the game.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
- I hate the fact that gimmicky and weird characters needs to be stronger than other characters. I would prefer more love to "strong" characters, like :4palutena: or :4samus: and many other characters. I'm sick of seeing the :4villager: or :4diddy:being stronger because of there quirkiness. Sure, it's funny, but my god give at least some good stuff to normal characters.
- Why :4shulk:is considered as a "guest" character ? He never appeared on an other console other than Nintendo.
- The :pt: should have returned with the XY trainers. It would have been great to see Pokemons like Chespin, Frogadier and Delphox to appear in Smash 4. Three pokemons in one character is great.

Are those opinions "unpopular" ?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
-All of the clone characters (:4darkpit:,:4drmario:,:4lucina:, and:4tlink:) are comparatively worse than the characters they are based upon, mostly by virtue of being clones.
-Extremist characters like :4littlemac:should never exist in Smash.
-:4sonic:should have been cut. Dead franchise, dead character, amirite?
-:4falco:and:4marth:deserved the nerfs they got. High tier for 2 games in a row, they kind of had it coming.
-:4iggy:is arguably the fan favorite of the Koopalings by virtue of being the "kooky, crazy one." Don't lie, you know it's true.
-:4dk:,:4ganondorf:, and:4pacman:aren't that bad.
-:4robinm:is basically a better:4ness:, sans B-throw.
-I'm actually glad that:lucas:and:popo:were cut. Does that make me a bad person?

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
He's not, dunno where you got the impression that he is. Nintendo owns Monolith.
Well, he's on the line of "guest" characters, with Sonic, Pacman or Megaman. He is always near the guest characters.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
For the most part they're organized by when each series debuted (mostly, there's a couple out of order just to keep the rows neat), so Xenoblade comes last, then the guests after him. And that's only how the 3DS CSS is laid out, on Wii U they moved Lucina, Doc, and Pittoo between them.

Last edited:

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Smash 4 overall pales in comparison to Melee and Brawl, especially in the solo modes. I'll take target smash over target blast, Melee/Brawl classic and all star over Smash 4's, and the lack of an adventure/SSE mode really hurts the solo content.

Speaking of, Classic and Master/Crazy Orders would be much better if items were turned off. At least take away bull**** items like Master Balls, Assist Trophies, Smash Balls, Beetles and Boss Galaga off the top of my head. Stuff like this can easily screw you over, especially on higher difficulties when the CPU will always hone in on items.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
1on1 FG is bull**** for Europeans and absolutely useless for actually improving your skills.

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
1on1 FG is bull**** for Europeans and absolutely useless for actually improving your skills.
I kind of second this. Most games carry a pretty awful input delay, which I guess is because you are facing some guy in US etc. I am also one of the lucky ones suffering from the error code 118-4516 or whatever it is. Cannot make it go away, even when I open my ports. So playing with "with friends" thingy doesn't even work with all the guys i've added. Go nintendo! No buyers remorse at all.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Why :4shulk:is considered as a "guest" character ? He never appeared on an other console other than Nintendo.
He's not, dunno where you got the impression that he is. Nintendo owns Monolith.
Monolith Soft,"Monolith" would imply something else such as a big space wall or Monolith Productions, a company owned by Warner Bros. Monolith Soft has also made games on non-Nintendo consoles prior to Nintendo's ownership.
Well, he's on the line of "guest" characters, with Sonic, Pacman or Megaman. He is always near the guest characters.
Shulk is not considered a "guest" character, rather he is from a Video Game developed by Monolith Soft which is called Xenoblade Chronicles, the Spiritual Successor to the Xenosaga series, which was handled by Namco who's mascot (Pac-Man) is in the vicinity and Xenosaga was developed by...Monolith Soft. It should be clear Shulk's placement on the roster is a reference to Monolith Soft's previous Xeno game, Xenosaga.

KOS-MOS may be not close to a gaming legend compared to the likes of Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man but she is the Robot Girl of gaming and I wouldn't mind if she shows up.

KOS-MOS 4 Smash!

Alses

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if these are unpopular, but here are some opinions.

3. Zelda's Phantom Attack
I feel this move is generally useless and doesn't have much usage outside of team modes. It's quite slow, requires charging, and Din's Fire is pretty much better than it in every way outside of using it as a shield which, it's generally too slow to use as that to begin with. I also feel the idea of non Toon Zelda using a Toon move to be rather odd, you'd think they'd give Zelda a more main Zelda-esque move.
It's actually a really good move, just hard to hit. Try hopping and releasing a quick one for edge guarding or a max charge one when your opponent is coming down from the air. Although I do agree that it should've been something else and they could've been Toon Zelda in with it instead =P I'm surprised that they didn't use the Goddess Harp.

Well to add an unpopular opinion of my own here: Ore Club needs to be removed, it grants super armor, releases a projectile, has large reach, isn't quite as slow as you'd imagine and can KO easily. So much love given to a clump of rock that shines -.-;

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • Shields, camping, and recoveries are not overpowered. I may whine about them a lot, but only because I'm frustrated with myself due to sucking at approaching and punishing.
  • Perfect Pivoting/Neo-Wavedashing is a natural-feeling and suitable successor to the original Wavedash.
  • As much as I like the Stage Builder, removing the ability to save stages to the SD card just to spite Wiibrew rather than just patching any potential holes was a **** move.
  • Masterpieces aren't THAT terrible - demos on game discs was a common thing back in the early 2000s. The main thing it suffers from is the Wii U VC's piss-poor catalogue. When Brawl did something better, that's a sign that somebody screwed up.
  • Out of principle, I want Dark Pit and Lucina to return in Smash 5.
  • I wouldn't mind if Mewtwo had Mega Y as a final smash. In fact, I'd prefer it.

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Losing infinite grabs was a good thing.
Olimar is nowhere near as bad as people think he is. Same with G&W. Just because they don't fare well against the guys that are looking to be on top doesn't mean they're ****.
Smash Tour is fun. Sometimes. When I'm not constantly getting ****ing ones from the die.

Last edited:

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
People are really overreacting about :4diddy:. I don't think he's all that overpowered. He has, like, one good combo and relies too heavily on flowchart strategies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People don't seem to play characters anymore.

They just talk about them, which feeds false and imcomplete info.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
The games is out both version and play couple of times. Here is my humble opinions.

-This is the most balanced Smash Bros. game in the series. Even characters like :4olimar: people say are bad, actually there have more Meta game and interesting moves that you should try. BE creative.

-Brawl Still and always have the best Newcomers, but some of the Smash 4 characters, most of them, are very welcome to smash universe!

-Smash 4 have bad clones compared to Brawl, but melee is a whole new level of cloney characters.

-Smash 4 is the perfect balanced smash game ever, Is good for everyone.
-Aside of the clones(there easy to hate), :rosalina: is my LEAST favorite newcomer. Since are announcement I was VERY disappoint about her inclusion even HYPE ME DOWN FOR THE GAME. Even playing with her I don't enjoy it. (Sometime dislike her more than the clones.)

-Smash 4 has very decent returning stages BUT the NEW stages are Really good and fun. I even play on them because how good there are.

-Some of the Music choice are like another remix from a Remix, Feel lazy. Except for Melee vers.2 and Mute City Ver. 3.
But Most of the Obscure Music are 4x better than other soundtrack. (Takamaru medley is beutifull!)

-:squirtle::pt::ivysaur::snake: There were cut but mostly I don't care about them. BUT I REALLY FREAKING MISS :wolf::lucas: AND ESPECIALLY :popo:. NEED THEM BACK!!!

-The most Unbalanced thing in Smash 4 is the representing franchise. In Brawl, I feel every franchise were Very well show, But Smash 4, ALL I see is Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Zelda, Zelda, Zelda and Lot of Crap of Pokemon!? I get MORE OR 6x excited when I found a trophy of a Game I dont know, Like Last Story or 3DS case Nintendoji. (I got really excited when I got in the 3DS a Fossils fighters trophy, I was like heck yeah, Fossils Medal items for Smash 5 and become the new pokeballs!)

-The LACK of golden sun representation in this game is Really bad!? WHY NINTENDO?? WHY??? SAKURAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-I like all the modes in the games, Except Smash Tour, I want my Smash Run Back!

-And the challenges are the most tedius thing ever.

-Pilotwings is my Favorite stage, I freaking love it. Best stage ver!

-The Final destination mode really sharp things up. But sometime the game get a little serius and boring. and that moment I just play normal stage.

-The Rolls are cheap, But the Airdodges... Airdodges is a whole new level of unfair.

I can gooooooo forever.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Like the above poster said, (which makes this opinion not seem so unpopular) this is by far the most balanced smash we've ever had. Apart from some obvious cases, (:4diddy:to good :4palutena:Bottom 5) no character is turely bad in this game.

Kid Icarus needed one more character, maybe even over Palutena. So where is my HADES!

I did not want and still don't care for:4bowserjr: or :4pacman:.

Last but not least, I do not care for Ridley being in smash.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Dixie, Ridley and King Rool are not "all-stars", which is not to say that I'm against their inclusion but pretending that their absence suddenly makes the roster less of an All Star one is a mistaken perception. The Smash roster has integrated Nintendo's most iconic faces since Melee and Brawl which is why they had to resort dig deeper for more recent newcomers this time around.

Speaking of newcomer additions...

I hate it when people advocate against new characters for being recent creations or a bit obscure; such as Robin, Shulk, Greninja or Palutena; to preach that only popular requests and older characters should have priority as newcomers, an argument that is constantly brought up when speaking in favor of Ridley or K. Rool. If Smash took that direction we wouldn't have had Marth, Ness, Cp. Falcon, Ice Climbers, ROB, G&W, etc. yet some people forget about this fact and want to pretend that the roster is supposed to be a VIP club for exclusive members.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom