• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I'm ecstatic that they're trying to make Bowser speedier, and just more competitive in general. But, it seems like that came at the cost of some of his aesthetics. I think his Smash 4 idle and dashing animations look incredibly unnatural and awkward.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm ecstatic that they're trying to make Bowser speedier, and just more competitive in general. But, it seems like that came at the cost of some of his aesthetics. I think his Smash 4 idle and dashing animations look incredibly unnatural and awkward.
...His dashing animation in Melee and Brawl WASN'T already unnatural?

Ryan50

Smash Cadet
1) The fan as an item should be removed entirely
2) I don't like the idea of the Masterball being an item, having just the Pokeball for pokemon made it great when I got a legendary, or other super-powerful pokemon...Now it'll be obvious :/
3) Not sure if this is unpopular or not but, I hate the fact Toon Link's D-Air doesn't function like it did in Brawl, I liked speeding downwards at my enemy and bouncing off of them, and if I missed while edge guarding, I'd die. Now there's no Risk-Reward for using it :/
4) I like Lucina being a clone with no sweetspot and a couple variations in her moves, like neutral air doing 3 hits while Marth's do 2
5) I think both Ness and Lucas will be back instead of just Ness, mainly because they played differently outside of specials.
6) I'll only take Ganondorf back if he's Pig Ganon and has his Trident, otherwise I'd ONLY want Vaati. I don't even see Ganondorf with a sword that great, plus we need less characters with a focus on Swords (Robin's fine, since he's not about using a sword)
7) I don't like how they made For Glory. They could of just removed all the super huge and moving stages and it would have been fine. I don't mind flat stages, but I like having a few platforms here and there too.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Given this is the second time this has happened in this thread in less than a day, I'm going to go ahead and repost this:

1) No criticizing another poster's opinions (both directly and indirectly). When you come across an opinion you don't agree with either ignore it, address it in another thread, or take it to PMs.
2) No engaging other posters in debate especially if it's likely to derail the thread or promote flaming/trolling.
3) Opinions that are intentionally made to flame/troll other posters are not allowed. Example: "Anyone who likes Mario is stupid."
4) Posts that have nothing to do with Smash 4 WiiU/3DS will be treated as spam. Keep in mind this includes unnecessary one liners as well as picture and gif responses. Example: "Super Mario 64 is the best game ever."
5) This is a less severe issue but try to post opinions that are actually unpopular. There's obviously a lot of grey area in terms of what constitutes as popular or not, but if you see the same opinion being posted repeatedly chances are it's not as unpopular as you think. Example: "Mario's mustache is awesome."

Personally, I have a tendency to explain my posts if people don't get what I'm trying to say but don't try to push people into debates. If an opinion genuinely offends you or you strongly don't agree with it, it's best to take it to PMs.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Actually, I thought his little shell slide... Thing in the earlier titles was rather clever. Just my opinion, though.
It was entertaining and clever, but because of it's goofyness, I never considered "natural" for the Bowser, especially in Smash, where he looks more realistic. :V

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I don't remember if this was ever brought up in this thread or if it was brought up in another, but it's been a while so I guess it's safe? Anyways...

The number of girls in Smash Bros. is actually way lower than it "should" be.

Think about it. The ratio of women to men IRL is 51 to 49. It's not an exact 50/50, women are an actual slight majority. In a gender unbiased society, you'd see a very similar ratio in games.

Yet somehow having:
8 Females (counting Sheik/Zelda and Zamus/Samus as separate characters): Rosalina, Palutena, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Peach, Sheik, Zelda, and Lucina
11 characters who can be either gender: Robin, Charizard, Yoshi, Mii Fighters (counting these as 3), Greninja, Lucario, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pikachu
19 Males: Pit, Bowser, Fox, Kirby, Megaman, Link, Donkey Kong, Mario, Olimar, Luigi, Toon Link, Sonic, Marth, Little Mac, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Ike, Pac Man, Captain Falcon

is having, in the eyes of some, "too many females".

Come on, there as many males as there are females+genderbenders combined. This isn't even counting unannounced vets who will more likely be male than female.

Yes, I realize that it is not the fault of Smash Bros. that Nintendo has so few worthwhile females to choose from, but this isn't really meant to rag on Smash. I respect the effort that Sakurai is putting forth, and I think it'd be a huge disservice to the game to include someone like "The Blacksmith's Wife from Link Between Worlds" just because we want to maintian a certain gender ratio. I just think it's silly to act like 8 females = way too many females. Even if you count the genderbenders twice, once as male and once as female, that's still 19 Females to 30 Males, which is a 38.8% Female cast. If you only count the genderbenders as half a female and half a male, that's 13.5 to 24.5, which is 35.5%.

38.8% Female cast is not "too high", nor is 35.5%. It is in fact, despite being high for video game standards, a bit lower than ideal. We'd need about 11 or 12 more females to make a "gender fair" roster, and that's assuming no new males will be revealed. And lets face it: They will be.

So don't tell me how Smash 4 has "too many females". The idea that girls only exist in games "for fanservice" is not only misogynist, because it paints women as being useless for anything else; but it's also misandrist, because it paints males up as only caring about ***, being easily manipulated by fanservice, and completely unable to consider a female character beyond her basest, most shallow features. It's an attitude that is literally sexist to both genders at the same time.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Hey, I would appreciate my opinion being respected!

Nintendo isn't usually associated with anime. If that statement doesn't jive with you, we have nothing to talk about. This is the thread to mindlessly state opinions without any disagreements (i.e. conversational substance), so there's my story ;)
On the contrary, you are very allowed to disagree with other people. Just not using this thread. You can take it up in another thread or through PM's. You always run the risk of somebody being a **** to you through PM's. :awesome:

ShredPix

Smash Cadet
- I think a downsized Ridley would ruin Ridley, so I would rather him not be in.
-I think Shulk still has a chance for Smash 4.
- D.K. does not need another rep.
- While fitting, I'd rather not have Lucina not be in Smash than have her bee a clone without a sweetspot
- I think there should be no newer clones and older clones should be slightly tweaked more to push away from the parent character
- I think this has to be the best batch of newcomers we've had in smash.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In regards to females, I don't think they should be added for the sake of it or to pander to the female demographic. They should be added if they have something genuinely interesting to add. If they don't, then they aren't really an appealing character to begin with.

Lucina is a problem for me in this regard. I don't want to have a negative impression of her when I get to FE:A, but Smash 4 isn't doing anything good for me in regards to her, so far. She's just a Femarth in this game.

Now, I know she has more to her in her own game, but I feel Smash should get that across. Same applies to any other character.

With every other female character, they feel well distinguished from the males, specifically their individual male counterparts. But Lucina doesn't do that, all I define her as is "Femarth", or "Marth with training wheels" (as if they are tying to say girls can't use Marth's tipper properly). That's not good.

I won't let this get in the way of my perception of Lucina when I get around to FE:A, but I don't want to see a repeat of this Lucina situation with other females, or even any non-female characters.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
I mean I don't think it could be more awkward then transforming into a turtle car and skidding across the floor without moving his legs.

U.N.Owen

Smash Cadet
Also, Lucina should have Aether. She got that skill in Awakening and it could differentiate her from Marth a little bit. And a light version of Aether could be cool in my opinion.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)

I've never seen women with bobble heads IRL.

And you do realise that lifelike human androids already exist, right? Making a life size R.O.B ain't that unrealistic.
Imo if by "realistic" he meant "humanoid", then I'd agree with him. He should have been clearer, but it's obvious there are a bunch of regular ol' human-style characters/fighters in this smash. Not a lot of animals, things on all fours, etc. The pokemon we get again is lucario, a pokemon with a human fighting and movement style, for example. The game is more about humanoid punches and kicks (and sword slashes) than in was in 64 and melee to an extent, I think that's all he's trying to get at.

Last edited:

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I think Samus's Heels look really cool and badass. I feel like they wouldn't look as cool if they weren't raised.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I dunno. Sure, Bowser's Melee and Brawl's dashing animation was weird and unnatural. But that was the charm to it.
Sure, maybe the newer version of better, since it is an actual dashing animation. But I'll always consider the "Koopa Train" better.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have some unpopular opinions as well:
1) I'm happy with the new Zelda down+b, but I can't stand to the fact that the armor is graphically "toon"-styled while the character has the style of twilight princess.
2) I would have prefered if Marth was completely replaced by Lucina; usually people complain about her inclusion but I think it's allright, it's Marth that became redundant to me, not Lucina.
3) I don't like Bandana Dee. In fact, I don't like when a generic Waddle Dee takes the place of any other original character. In Kirby 64 I wanted Meta-Knight instead of Waddle Dee. In Kirby Return to Dreamland I wanted Adeleine, but then again, Waddle Dee. I'm sick of him. I liked the multicolored Kirby and the yellow Kirby's backstory with Miyamoto... but in the new Kirby game for WiiU, they have shown 4 multicolored Bandana Dees, once again. Because of this, I would prefer if the 4th Kirby newcomer (if there will be one) is Adeleine instead, who has also more potential for being a creative and original character (come on, there aren't spears yet, but Yoshi already has long-range smash attacks and his gameplay would not be too much different (graphics aside)... the only move with potential of being original is the b+up propeller, but I think Dixie would be more suited for that move).
4) I liked how in Melee sometimes enemies from the adventure mode jumped out from boxes and capsules, it was hilarious. Now there is sandbag and the cuccos, but I think it was funnier before.
5) I don't like the assist trophies, but if they help representing more characters in the game I can live with them.
6) I don't like the moveset customization (this one is not so much unpopular though). I think that everyone should learn to use a character for what it is. Different opinion if there were actually completely different moves to choice, for example the ability to change the splac with the tornado move that someone already stated.
7) Miis were one of my suggestions, but the actual Miis are different from what I wanted. My ideal moveset for the Miis was something inspired by WiiPlay, WiiSports and WiiFit (Yeah, before the first newcomers were announced, I hoped that the Mii would have represented all the casual franchises of Nintendo, WiiFit included, but when I saw the WiiFit trainer it was a delusion for me).
The actual Mii are generic customizable characters, they don't represent the "Mii" as franchise, and I don't like this.
8) I'm happy that there are no more wavedashing and other tricky AT. I prefer if the game is simple to play, and the only skills required are the strategy and fighting skills in the battle; I don't like when additional skills are required (frame-precise timing, button combination memorizations in the case of other fighting games, etc.).
9) I like playing with items on, and I disable only the annoying and unfair items. I think that playing with the right items can be skill-based as much as playing with no items.
10) Sakurai takes the characters and the stages from the most recent games only, and sometimes he takes some classic stage/character from the NES. I would like if he would take elements from the generations "in the middle", as the Gameboy, Gabeboy color, Advance, Snes, N64 and GC. For example, characters like Cpt Syrup were very recurring at the times in the Wario games, now she is almost unknown; but due to her appearances in the past games, I think she deserves a place in the roster. Probably she won't be in because she isn't a classic character (NES) or a recent one, despite the fact that Good Feel brought her back in "Warioland Shake It!".
11) As said at the part 10, I think that Rosalina and Sheik should be considered at the same way as characters like Syrup. They are relative to a single game and no more relevant in their subsequent appearances, so if Syrup is out, I think there is no reason to having them as well (syrup is just an example, but she fits well).
12) I don't like how many popular series are getting so many characters but smaller series (for example Drill Dozer or Golden Sun) are doomed to the role of assist trophies.
13) AT aside, I think that this game plays a little more like Melee than like Brawl (hitstun, moves, etc.), and this is positive.
14) I think one of the biggest limitation of this franchise is the character select screen. I think they should design a new kind of character select screen that allow many players at once to choice the character with no turns to wait, but at the same time some character should be hidden to allow all of them to be big enough and well visible, no small icons; this way we should be able to have a lot more than 50 characters. I made a concept once, there were 4 panels and the characters were grouped for franchise, only 4 franchises at once were visible in one screen, and the panels were excangables by the players in real time.

it's too much XD

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I think Dixie Kong would be a horrible newcomer.

...but then again, I really don't like Diddy, either.

Maybe it's just because I don't like monkeys as animals in general.
I was waiting for someone else to say this first. I'm racist against monkeys. Come at me, internet!

The items just aren't that interesting this time around.
Agreed. There hasn't been that "Cracker Launcher" or "Gooey Bomb" kind of item announcement that's made me say "Yo! That's awesome!". I'm still waiting on the Super Bell from 3D World. Samus, Lucina, and Palutena in Cat Suits? Oh my.

- I don't get why "realistic" characters are something to complain about. Yeah Nintendo has their cartoony and imaginative franchises, but they also have "serious" (<- I put in quotes since they're not as serious as say Bioshock or Far Cry) franchises like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Golden Sun, Advanced Wars, and I suppose Metroid as well.
The common stereotype is that Nintendo fans only play "kiddy" games and it's starting to show now that everyone's up in arms about semi-realistic characters being "too realistic".

At least they're not Blandy McGee over here...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't remember if this was ever brought up in this thread or if it was brought up in another, but it's been a while so I guess it's safe? Anyways...

The number of girls in Smash Bros. is actually way lower than it "should" be.

Think about it. The ratio of women to men IRL is 51 to 49. It's not an exact 50/50, women are an actual slight majority. In a gender unbiased society, you'd see a very similar ratio in games.

Yet somehow having:
8 Females (counting Sheik/Zelda and Zamus/Samus as separate characters): Rosalina, Palutena, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Peach, Sheik, Zelda, and Lucina
11 characters who can be either gender: Robin, Charizard, Yoshi, Mii Fighters (counting these as 3), Greninja, Lucario, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pikachu
19 Males: Pit, Bowser, Fox, Kirby, Megaman, Link, Donkey Kong, Mario, Olimar, Luigi, Toon Link, Sonic, Marth, Little Mac, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Ike, Pac Man, Captain Falcon

is having, in the eyes of some, "too many females".

Come on, there as many males as there are females+genderbenders combined. This isn't even counting unannounced vets who will more likely be male than female.

Yes, I realize that it is not the fault of Smash Bros. that Nintendo has so few worthwhile females to choose from, but this isn't really meant to rag on Smash. I respect the effort that Sakurai is putting forth, and I think it'd be a huge disservice to the game to include someone like "The Blacksmith's Wife from Link Between Worlds" just because we want to maintian a certain gender ratio. I just think it's silly to act like 8 females = way too many females. Even if you count the genderbenders twice, once as male and once as female, that's still 19 Females to 30 Males, which is a 38.8% Female cast. If you only count the genderbenders as half a female and half a male, that's 13.5 to 24.5, which is 35.5%.

38.8% Female cast is not "too high", nor is 35.5%. It is in fact, despite being high for video game standards, a bit lower than ideal. We'd need about 11 or 12 more females to make a "gender fair" roster, and that's assuming no new males will be revealed. And lets face it: They will be.

So don't tell me how Smash 4 has "too many females". The idea that girls only exist in games "for fanservice" is not only misogynist, because it paints women as being useless for anything else; but it's also misandrist, because it paints males up as only caring about ***, being easily manipulated by fanservice, and completely unable to consider a female character beyond her basest, most shallow features. It's an attitude that is literally sexist to both genders at the same time.
My viewpoint on females in Smash

Well, time to put in my view of this.

The number of female characters, or rather the lack of them, makes sense, given the relatively much fewer notable Nintendo females in comparison to notable Nintendo males so the balance was always going to be skewed and given the general lack of actual obligation Sakurai generally feels to include tons of female characters. Brawl's newcomer line-up proves this. That said, given that so far, no majorly notable Nintendo female character has faced omission, I'm not particularly concerned about the lack of females in Smash, per se. I actually think the lack of notable notable Nintendo female characters that exists is a much more fundamental subject to look at and discuss in a calm and composed manner, and overall more meaningful and productive. This is because given that there lies the true cause of ...well everything this topic subject relates to.

In other words, I don't think the lack of females in Smash is what people should be focusing on so much as it is the lack of notable Nintendo females in general.

Although that said, I'd rather have Lyn than any other FE character. Thankfully speaking she is likely to be in Project M.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Bandana Dee would be a horrible choice. There are a lot of other characters that play a much more significant role. One of the villains, even a one-shot villain like Marx or Sectonia, would be a better addition than Bandana Dee.

I'm personally half-hoping for Marx. Out of the Kirby villains, he provides the sharpest contrast and most visible relationship to Kirby himself. I'd be lying if I thought adding him was even a remote possibility, though.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Lucina as a fast Ike clone would've so much cooler than having her a fast Marth clone and having Marth get a speed nerf, or even making her a clone mix of both Marth and Ike.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
There's not enough anime-styled characters. Give me Shulk. Give me Issac. Give me more Fire Emblem, preferably Anna. Give me Bayonetta. Andy or Sami from Advanced Wars. Give me Girl from the new Fatal Frame that's likely to not come to America.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Robin is the most boring newcomer.

I wouldn't mind several more third-party characters, and Sega could get four or five in my opinion. Also, Chris Redfield? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?

Super Mario 64 is the greatest game ever.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The proximity mines... In Melee if they are placed, they will stay there until someone or something would hit them.
In Brawl they disappear after a while.
In SSB4 we don't know, but I fear that it will be like Brawl, and I don't like it... the proximity mines were some of the funniest and most strategic items back in Smash 64 and Melee.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Lucina is the character that offers the most to Smash 4's roster. Not only is she one of the most ideal newcomers, but she is one of the most unique.

Raijinken

Smash Master
  • I'd rather Jigglypuff be cut than have five Mons in the game. She's no longer a mascot, or even a very popular character.
  • I'd rather Smash veteran series' with little representation (F-Zero and Metroid being the biggest offenders) get beefed up to three representatives before adding any more Mons or Marios, regardless of their popularity (this extends to Yoshi characters).
  • I strongly dislike Greninja's presence.
  • Regardless of her popularity, I'm surprised Lucina is in despite her status as a major spoiler in a recent game (though I personally seek spoilers as soon as they're available).
  • I still think Olimar should have been cut until they can come up with a moveset consisting of more than "throws Pikmin at things".
  • I am sad Sonic returned. I am even more sad Toon Link returned as a clone.
  • I think some characters (Diddy, Zamus, Sheik, Dedede) should be demoted to unlockable, particularly since some are now unique characters instead of components of other characters.
  • For that matter, I think the majority of present series' can (and should) get 3-4 fighters each, and not even Mario should get more to his own logo (I dislike Rosalina's presence, but I wasn't a Galaxy fan to begin with).
  • A lack of voice language option would actually deter me from playing certain characters (particularly Pit).
  • I consider gimmick stages to be valid tests of individual skill.

There's not enough anime-styled characters. Give me Shulk. Give me Issac. Give me more Fire Emblem, preferably Anna. Give me Bayonetta. Andy or Sami from Advanced Wars. Give me Girl from the new Fatal Frame that's likely to not come to America.
Actually, there are a lot (to me)

Link, Zelda, Peach, Rosalina,Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Zero Suit Samus, Pit and Palutena.

I feel like that's plenty, but an Advance Wars character would be dope.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how I feel about characters receiving other characters as an alt costume.
If they get their own name and art/ model render.
They're basically a whole other character just a perfect clone version.

The lines have been blurred.
Depending on how this goes I may consider some alt costumes their own character. (even if they play the exact same).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom