• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If Capcom got another rep and it was Phoenix Wright, I would main him above anybody else.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Double Post Warning Received
I wish Lucina and Robin were never included. I haven't even played the Fire Emblem games.

Marth is a classic, and I liked the power of Ike in Brawl, though.

Falcon was the most exciting part of that reveal.
I agree.

I agree so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The concept of a character stealing another character's slot is ridiculous to me.
It's based on constraints ("franchise x can't have more than y representatives!") that none other than the community came up with.

If Sakurai and his team want to put in 300 FE reps then he's going to. If he wants 4,000 Mario reps then it'll happen.

If he wanted your favorite character to be in the game, then s/he would be in it. Spot stealing implies that the inclusion of someone severely hurts / kills the chances of another fighter purely because s/he was accepted into the roster. Which is ridiculous. If a character hurts another character's chances, it would be for a better reason than that. That's petty.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Not necessarily one I hold too closely to myself, but probably an unpopular one: I hope wavedashing isn't in the game.

One I feel pretty strongly about, however, is this: I hope Ganon doesn't fight with his sword. We've got enough sword users now, especially after the recent reveal, and not enough big heavy human-like brawlers. Ganon shouldnt be a captain falcon clone of course, but I think he's still coolest in Smash as a heavy brawler type.

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
-Gematsu leak was Bull****. It was one of HUNDREDS of "leaks", and got popular only because it got a couple characters correct. In the first leak, every character besides Wii fit trainer was a character that fans have been suggesting (or at least I wanted the villager personally). Wii fit trainer was the lucky guess that made people believe this garbage. The second leak speculated that Chrom, Palutena, and the Choir boys would join the battle. Fans already wanted Chrom and Palutena, but the "leaker" threw in the Choir boys to make the leak look legit. Also, Chrom was pretty much deconfirmed.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Since the Gematsu leak predicted f*cking Wii Fit Trainer, I think it might still be reliable, just somewhat outdated since Chrom isn't actually playable anymore.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Gematsu Leak gave Xenoblade fans hope. With it debunked, we're de****ed
How do you figure?

-Sakurai has openly talked about being a huge fan of Xenoblade and has even tweeted pictures of the Monado on his page.
-Monolith Soft has tweeted every single major Smash announcement so far.
-Demand for Shulk in Japan is huge, probably second only to Mewtwo
-Operation Rainfall was easily the most successful gamer online campaigns ever, to the point where even Nintendo officially recognized it

Shulk's still very much in the running.

My biggest fear after Lucina's "clone" confirmation is that this increases Dark Pit's chances.

Dark Pit would be the worst addition to the roster alongside Miis.
Pretty much my exact thoughts on Bowser Jr, the Scrappy Doo of Nintendo. Making him a mini Bowser would be such an easy +1 at this point. Oh god... I can see them making all the Koopalings ALTs too... *hurf*

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But Bowser Jr. wouldn't play anything like Bowser; he would have his brush and probably a few projectile attacks, maybe one that binds/slows the victim.
Not to be rude but kind of like how Ganondorf would use his sword and magic spells and Toon Link would use the deku leaf, skull hammer, and grappling hook? Given the chance, Sakurai has explosively crapped on fan expectations in the past.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Not to be rude but kind of like how Ganondorf would use his sword and magic spells and Toon Link would use the deku leaf, skull hammer, and grappling hook? Given the chance, Sakurai has explosively crapped on fan expectations in the past.
The sad part is you're probably right.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I was disappointed at first, but once I thought on it, I'm minding Lucina less and less.

I played Roy a lot more than Marth (who I found to be insanely boring in my casual days), and the way things look, Lucina appears to be a reskinned Roy. So yeah, I'm glad Sakurai's at least acknowledging Roy's playstyle, although I understand business-wise that Roy himself as a character is no longer relevant to the FE series...

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
  • Meta Knight needs rebalancing less than he needs a total redesign. Given he hasn't been revealed yet, I believe the latter could be the case.
  • Rayman isn't out of the run just because he's a trophy. Not even Sakurai mentioned he would be only a trophy.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Lucina gets Critical Hit for her Final Smash. Don't ask, she's largely a clone of Marth.:4pacman:
  • Dillon could have worked out somewhat okay as a fighter. (Sigh) There's always next time, really.
  • I would honestly want Misty to appear as playable (Over Pichu), wielding a trio of Starmie, Kabutops, and Lapras. Then Charizard could appear by itself and the Wii Fit Trainer wouldn't be alone as an out-of-left-field character.
  • Dark Pit has a chance as a separate fighter. Just give him completely different weapons to work with, and bravo. He won't even have to be a Pit clone!:4pacman:

Last edited:

pbj10

Smash Rookie
  • I don't care at all for mega man, he could be cut and i wouldn't even notice.
  • blue haired sword wielding characters are amazing and am happy that lucina is in even if she is a clone of marth.
  • i like sword characters in general (except link and toon link for some reason) and would like more. (shulk please?)
  • i don't think 4 fire emblem reps is too much, it's actually a solid number because of the amount of characters there are in fire emblem games.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- People saying Fire Emblem is a "lesser" series are casuals who have never played one before.
- Lucina, yet another Female Newcomer getting a lot of hate. What's with all the misogyny?
- On the other hand though, I'm laughing on how everyone's just suddenly now so accepting of clones when we were ready to hang Toon Link on a rope. You guys. :laugh:
- Concerning the calling for more villains in the roster, we gotta have something for the boss battles y'know. :troll:
Though that brings up an idea of "Hero" Bosses. Interesting...
- The best part of Robin/Lucina's trailer was the death of Gematsu. Don't try to justify it with the "outdated" argument. It just comes off as desperate.
- Now that Rayman is somewhat present in the game now, I DEMAND at least a Rayman stage. Sakurai you've set my expectations too high.
- Just because you don't like a character, doesn't mean they're a "waste" of a slot. Y'all don't even know how many slots there are. Maybe you can complain if an exact number was given to you, but it could be well into the 50's for all we know. :p

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
- On the other hand though, I'm laughing on how everyone's just suddenly now so accepting of clones when we were ready to hang Toon Link on a rope. You guys. :laugh:
I think there are 2 main reasons for this:

1) Although Lucina ended up a clone, she was a highly requested character (but not one many saw coming thanks to the Gematsu leak) so people are just happy she's in despite the fact.

2) Lucina being a clone of Marth makes perfect sense in the context of the Fire Emblem series considering she goes out of her way to imitate him in just about every way possible. On the other hand characters like Toon Link and Ganondorf being clones doesn't make as much sense since they both have plenty of tools from their respective games to differentiate themselves.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
I think it is incredibly lazy that none of the final smashes have been updated from Brawl. Every character should also have a unique final smash, so we'll see to what extent the laziness reaches when Falco and Wolf possibly get confirmed.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I think it is incredibly lazy that none of the final smashes have been updated from Brawl. Every character should also have a unique final smash, so we'll see to what extent the laziness reaches when Falco and Wolf possibly get confirmed.
Not ragging on your opinion (I wish Sheik got something different from a Light Arrow to differentiate her more from Zelda myself), but so far Luigi's and Zero Suit Samus' Final Smashes are different. So not every Final Smash is the same from Brawl.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think 90% of the people who are happy about Gematsu being partially wrong are only this way because it gives them false hope. Nothing's really changed and only a handful of fanbases are arguably better off because of it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I think 90% of the people who are happy about Gematsu being partially wrong are only this way because it gives them false hope. Nothing's really changed and only a handful of fanbases are arguably better off because of it.

Well, false hope's better than no hope at all.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
- Now that Rayman is somewhat present in the game now, I DEMAND at least a Rayman stage. Sakurai you've set my expectations too high.
Your wish shall be granted *porunga voice*

Unidentified smash 4 stage compared to rayman game.

rmw6190

Smash Rookie
Unpopular opinions;
I dont like how the wii u is not getting smash run. I think the only reason lucina got in was because she was a woman, and in brawl nintendo got a lot of flack for not adding more woman. I want party phil(wii party series) to be in smash, no idea how his moveset would work, but Id much rather have party phil over the miis. I also dont want ridley to be in smash, for fear that he would be a weak charizard clone.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
- I don't want Ridley. I like Ridley; I just don't want him in as a playable character. I've beaten every Metroid aside from Pinball and I ****in' love the series, but the thought of a downsized Ridley with undoubtedly cartoonish (for him) animations just sounds... belittling.

- I like the idea of clones or complete costume/voice changes to superficially expand the roster, for fans' sake.

- I don't want Rayman in. When I think of Rayman, I don't think of Nintendo first. I think of Sony.

- I'd like to test the potential of allowing custom movesets into the tournament scene. As long as there's nothing particularly overpowered, the option of customization can make bottom-tier characters more plausible and dittos more varied.

- I don't want another Project M to happen in this game anytime soon. Give the vanilla build a chance to grow before we abandon ship and split the community.

- I want Daisy in. I don't care if people will hate that she's included. I want her anyway.

Senario

Smash Ace
Sakurai doesn't know anything about how to balance a smash game and his comment of "have you ever made a game" only shows how stubborn he is to take advice from people who may know more about how balance works for competitive play on Smash Bros. It is a poisoning the well argument as he is putting down a person's credibility rather than answering the argument that a competitive player might know more about how the game plays competitively and what might/might not work. He is a stubborn man with too much pride that doesn't want to listen to others or support a group of players who absolutely love the game but cannot play it the way they have been in 64 and melee. And this shows in Smash 4 so far.

Hey, you wanted unpopular opinions.

-I like Robin/Avatar/My Unit as a character but I think his moveset is crap so far due to all the lag on well...Everything. Could be fixed by speeding up animations and lowering landing lag.

Last edited:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
I think people are getting too up in arms over the whole Rayman thing. Sakurai said that Ubisoft sent them a trophy model and that's it. Way too much overreaction.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Poor Toonie never catches a break does he? :urg:
I think part of the general dislike for him is that he was clearly so much better than Link in Brawl. Because they're so similar, the developers clearly made Link the slow, heavy one and Toon the flighty, speedy one. And guess which is typically better in a 1v1 match? :rolleyes:

When Brawl first came out I tried to main Link, and despised Toon Link because I knew he was just a better character, plain and simple. Some other people may be harboring a similar resentment even now?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think part of the general dislike for him is that he was clearly so much better than Link in Brawl. Because they're so similar, the developers clearly made Link the slow, heavy one and Toon the flighty, speedy one. And guess which is typically better in a 1v1 match? :rolleyes:

When Brawl first came out I tried to main Link, and despised Toon Link because I knew he was just a better character, plain and simple. Some other people may be harboring a similar resentment even now?
So I guess it's more because he's simply a better character than Link. I guess the two should just be balanced better...

rmw6190

Smash Rookie
I am pretty sure had rayman legends remained a wii u exclusive, that rayman would be in smash. The fact that it was delayed to be on other consoles, probably left distaste in nintendos mouth, and they put him in the game as a trophy instead. Rayman isnt iconic enough to be a 3rd party imo. The only non-nintendo mid 90s era characters I could see in the game are spyro and crash. Crash especially the character was the iconic playstation mascot and nintendo has a history of treating their 3rd party characters with more respect than their parent companies.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So I guess it's more because he's simply a better character than Link. I guess the two should just be balanced better...
In Sakurai's definition of balance, Link is better suited for FFA matches, and Toon is better suited for 1v1. It's unfortunate for competitive Link players, but that's just the way it goes.

Then again, I'd wager that Link and Young Link were balanced similarly in development in Melee, yet Link was usually regarded as superior to Young Link in that game. It's possible they just really botched their jobs in Brawl regarding Link?

Anyway, as a former Link main, I thought I'd give my opinion on the matter. I don't mind Toon being in or them being "clones" (though they do play radically differently, more so than Fox and Falco, IMO), but that resentment could be fueling the fire of Toon-hating.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In Sakurai's definition of balance, Link is better suited for FFA matches, and Toon is better suited for 1v1. It's unfortunate for competitive Link players, but that's just the way it goes.

Then again, I'd wager that Link and Young Link were balanced similarly in development in Melee, yet Link was usually regarded as superior to Young Link in that game. It's possible they just really botched their jobs in Brawl regarding Link?

Anyway, as a former Link main, I thought I'd give my opinion on the matter. I don't mind Toon being in or them being "clones" (though they do play radically differently, more so than Fox and Falco, IMO), but that resentment could be fueling the fire of Toon-hating.
It's probably the poor balancing then. Since they are putting much more emphasis on balance compared to Brawl. I think Toon Link and Link will be balanced better this time around, they have been trying to tweak the two of them around a bit from what I've seen from the demo video's.

I guess we will have to see how things will go for the two of them this time as well as for Lucina and Marth...

Senario

Smash Ace
It's probably the poor balancing then. Since they are putting much more emphasis on balance compared to Brawl. I think Toon Link and Link will be balanced better this time around, they have been trying to tweak the two of them around a bit from what I've seen from the demo video's.

I guess we will have to see how things will go for the two of them this time as well as for Lucina and Marth...
Well maybe...They have a bigger emphasis on balance this time around but that doesn't make their basis for balance any better. Balancing around free for all sometimes and 1v1 other times is really really bad balancing. It is inconsistent. And ignores the fact that free for all is a highly chaotic mode where balance is thrown out the window.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Your wish shall be granted *porunga voice*

Unidentified smash 4 stage compared to rayman game.
Well played.

I was thinking something more like this:

My first thought was something Rayman related when we saw this, keep in mind this was shown off way before we had been told about Smash Run.
I dunno it has a bit of a Rayman vibe to it. That was probably just me though.

Back to topic:
- There's absolutely NO reason for Lucas to get cut now. Same goes for Falco and Wolf too. And who knows, we may see Dr. Mario make a comeback.
- Hey look, something from Melee is coming back. Clones. Though it's probably not what Melee fans were asking for. :troll:
- Canonically, Lucina learned from Chrom how to fight and they have pretty similar fighting styles. So those of you saying Chrom would've been a better choice should probably do some research.
However, as a counter argument , it still doesn't excuse them not thinking of something unique for Lucina. It is what it is though. Deal with it.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
All if not most assist trophies should be able to inherit a specific type of Mii's move set just so they can be playable as well. I don't think it would work well with magic users but seeing as how Mii's actually have different sizes and powers this idea maybe could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom