• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I think the "chorus boys" hinted by Gematsu will really be Marshall

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
The amount of playable reps Fire Emblem has is ridiculous for a series so small.
Small as in popularity or number of games? Because FE's pretty huge, I think, in terms of games.

but yeah definitely super surprised to see two fire emblem newcomers

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Small as in popularity or number of games? Because FE's pretty huge, I think, in terms of games.

but yeah definitely super surprised to see two fire emblem newcomers
In terms of sales. It has sold 3 or maybe 4 mil worldwide (since 1990!!)

Last edited:

LastArc

Smash Rookie
I hate that Lucina AND Robin is in (One of them would have been fine.) I would have just preferred Ephraim, Lyn, Eirika or Leif >:

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
-I would've liked Lucina if it weren't for her being a carbon copy of Marth so far (hopefully she's just an alt)
-I both love and hate that the Gematsu leak was debunked because I was hoping for Shulk, but now I can also hope for Bandana Dee or Hades or Groose.
-Geno is the character I want most to play as in smash even though it's almost completely unlikely that it'll happen, and Ridley is the absolute last videogame character I'd want playable in smash
-I genuinely wanted Waluigi playable
-While I don't hate them as much as Ridley, I'm not that big a fan of King K Rool or Mach Rider as playable characters.

Booster

Smash Lord
-I would've liked Lucina if it weren't for her being a carbon copy of Marth so far (hopefully she's just an alt)
-I both love and hate that the Gematsu leak was debunked because I was hoping for Shulk, but now I can also hope for Bandana Dee or Hades or Groose.
-Geno is the character I want most to play as in smash even though it's almost completely unlikely that it'll happen, and Ridley is the absolute last videogame character I'd want playable in smash
-I genuinely wanted Waluigi playable
-While I don't hate them as much as Ridley, I'm not that big a fan of King K Rool or Mach Rider as playable characters.
The Gematsu Leak gave Xenoblade fans hope. With it debunked, we're de****ed

Portanix

Smash Cadet
I don't think Jigglypuff and Lucas should be joining Smash 4 again.
Jigglypuff is just lame and boring to play. And Lucas is just a character nobody even knows, so he's not really representing the Earthbound franchise.
I want Falco, with a more different moveset and Wolf with a few changes to join the battle.
Same goes for Wario. He should have a more or less changes to his kit, since it was not that good.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem should be upgraded to having a lot of characters to the degree of Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon by this point.

I don't even play FE yet I still think there are too many characters to not use, and having Lucina and Robin is a good step forward.

Another, sadly unpopular opinion: Lucina is a Marth clone, she is NOT an alternate costume for him.

Ragingtsunami726

Smash Cadet
(edit: man this board has a weird bullet point style. these are my opinions!)

• Lucina being a direct clone doesn't bother me in the slightest. It makes sense for her and I think with a game like Smash Bros, a larger roster is almost always better.

• Ridley's still totally going to be playable. I'm ready to eat my words on this if I have to, but IMO the evidence so far is overwhelmingly in favor of Sakurai teasing him with the direct etc...

• I honestly believe this game will be adapted by the community much more quickly than Brawl. Hype is way more social than it was back in the Brawl days and this game could easily reach the level of exposure that Mario Kart 8 has. Combined that with a far more established competitive fanbase? By the time the game is released, it will have already had two major tournaments with large audiences. Smash 4 is here to stay.

• On that note, I'd love for items to get their own subset of competitive play. I personally agree that the game is more competitive with items off, but I also enjoy both playing and watching the game more with them on!

Last edited:

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
All the newcomers so far are great additions to the roster but one: Palutena. She's a secondary character from a B-list Nintendo franchise that only recently got its first new game in about twenty years. The only reason she's included is because Sakurai worked on KI:U. The fact that she alone has 12 unique special moves to choose from when no other character does makes her feel even more out-of-place.

Although it'll probably end up being fun, I'm not a big fan of customizable movesets in general. I think dev time could have been better spent on something else, especially when they can't be used online (or in competitive play, in all likelihood).

WFT is actually an excellent choice for the roster, since she represents a side of NIntendo that has become important in recent years: their non-game software like Wii Fit and Brain Age.

U.N.Owen

Smash Cadet
-I don't want ROB to come back, even now it look like for me he stole a spot.
-I hate everything related to Kid Icarus, Palutena included and especially Pit
-Even thought Ridley is badass as ****, I don't think he will make the cut
-Not really unpopular, but I really hope Lucina is nothing more than a skin.
-Shulk is as charismatic as Leonard from White Knight Chronicles, and Xenoblade is overrated as ****.
-I want Snake back so bad.
-The Mii looks so cool.
-The Gematsu guy is a jerk.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I love Dixie, and would actually prefer that she got in over K. Rool. On top of that, I really don't like the idea of K. Rool being a character! I know Sakurai would do an incredible job, but that's true of any character. I don't have the attachment to K. Rool that so many other people seem to have. I don't get why he's special or important, especially over other DK reps like Dixie. Heck, I have a friend that loves Lanky, and I'd honestly be much more excited about Lanky than K. Rool!

On top of that, I love clone chars and legitimately hope that they have lots of them in this game. To me, they're so interesting and fun because of how they offer different takes on existing movesets. I don't really play Captain Falcon, but I love playing as Ganondorf! And I know that clones are way easier to add in, so I'm always happy to see them because I know there's no chance they took somebody else's spot.

So with that being said, I was actually expecting Lucy to be a Marth clone, and I'm really happy to see that she is. The way I see it, if she wasn't a Marth clone, she wouldn't be in the game at all (kinda like Roy in Melee), and I'd so much rather have her around than not. My precious waifu! <3

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Robin looks like another campy character. I think thats the 3rd one we've gotten.

Its ok. They attached gimmicks to each one of them.:4megaman::4palutena::4robinf::4robinm:

Lucina looks kinda like a boy

I like that there are more FE characters in smash now. It makes the game feel less Mario saturated.

I especially like that its not Mario in the middle of the Wii U box art

I don't hate Mario or anything I just feel like that the game is like Super "Mario" Smash brothers.

I can't wait until this works :4darkpit:

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Considering Marth has one of the most well made move sets in the series I'm 100% okay with Lucina being a clone/semi-clone of him.

Also, considering Sakurai seems to purposefully be going out of his way to troll us at this point I'm more confident than ever in terms of Ridley's chances.

Sendo Roba

Smash Cadet
-Stating an opinion without giving any legitimate reasoning makes you opinion worthless
-Ridley and K. Rool would both be good additions. The roster is sorely lacking in villains
-Complaining about a feature that doesn't have competitive play in mind, is ridiculous. Not everyone who plays Smash is a competitive player. Just because you only play 3 character on 4 stages with 1 mode and nothing else, doesn't mean everything else is a pointless. It means its for a different kind of player. Its like saying "X character shouldn't be in the game because I main Y"
-ZSS doesn't count as a separate Metroid rep. They are both the same character
-If Lucina isn't a Costume and a full character instead, I will lose respect for the team making this game, because it will feel like a step backwards. She looks so identical to Marth that is she wasn't just a skin, she would most likely be a Melee-style clone, which are abysmal wastes of slots when you could've just made a Brawl-style clone and have a similar, yet essentially different character. As opposed the slightly different model with all the same animations, but with slightly properties
-Melee is busted as hell...So is Brawl, but at least there are more than 3 usable characters in that game
-Some of the changes done in Project M feel so stupid to me. Like, it doesn't matter if it makes the character worse, they will make a change just so its "like Melee", such as making Toon Link terrible just because he wasn't good in Melee. Or changing all of Falco's animations back to Foxes as opposed to giving them better properties and keeping them different
-Lucario returning is such a waste of my time, as he only got into Brawl because he was a popular pokemon at the time, being in the newest gen and having a movie, but that time has passed. The only way I can accept him returning is if its just because all brawl vets come back
-I want Snake to return, but I don't expect it. Snake was only in Brawl because Kojima had asked Sakurai as a favor. So unless Koji wants him to return, he probably wont. Which is especially like as Kojima is an insane man
-Amiibo integration is actually really cool because if you break it down, Nintendo basically added Metabots as a minigame
-I've come to peace with it, but Greninja being in still kind of bothers me. Because he's not a character. He is literally a random animal that they invited to a tournament.
-I don't get why Shulk is such a popular choice. Its not like he is an influential, or topical, character, he was just on an exclusive. At least Wonder Red and Bayo will be on this generation. I feel a smash character needs to eternally iconic (Pacman, Capt Falcon, Charizard) or presently popular (Palutena, Robin, Rosalina) and Shulk is neither of those
-The Competitive Smash Brothers Melee Community seem like the most elitist people on the planet. If you even try to defend brawl for a second, you are immediately branded "Casual" and disregarded in every way, never to be able to have an legitimate opinion again.
-I would've rather had any other Smash iteration (Brawl, 64, M) than Melee at evo. I can only look at Fox and Marth for so long...

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
- While I kind of want the Chorus Men in, a large part of me still doesn't because I don't know what they can do with a person that just goes AAAAAAA. I know that they have a whole franchise to work with but... still. I can't really describe it, it'd just be weird.
- I don't understand the Sceptile thing. That's like asking for Cloyster because why not.
- Assuming that Lucina is standalone, I don't understand why we're getting deliberate clones. You have so many things at your disposal to make them more unique, why not use them?
- The voice actor for Shulk was either trolling, or he could have been talking about a different game.
- I'm back to being glad that Miis won't be playable online because I remembered how cacophonous their voices are.

And for the whopper.
- Ridley is not going to be playable. I understand that I'm stepping on a landmine when I say this, but I see no reason why Sakurai would be trolling everyone when he shows Ridley's shadow when talking about bosses. I know the guy loves to play with the community, but not every single thing he does has to be this diabolical scheme to mess with your head. The level of straw grasping for Ridley is something I've never seen before. You've got people drawing these complicated graphs and size comparisons to other character models FFS. I don't care about his size or anything like that. You could say "oh well he wasn't a boss in the E3 demo", but the game is still in development, maybe they've been spending time on the characters first. I understand that a lot of people have been waiting to see the guy in for such a long time, but not everyone you want in will be in.

And it's possible that I could look back if he is confirmed, realize that Sakurai is some diabolical schemer who messes with messes with our heads at any given opportunity, and eat my words. If that day does come, I'll accept that I was wrong and congratulate you guys for getting your favorite alien dragon rabbit mutant thingy.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
With the increase of Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus reps in the Smash Bros. series; I think it's more than deserved that Metroid, DK and Star Fox (and F-Zero, though is most unlikely of all) having more reps in THIS game;...

Ridley, King K. Rool and Krystal (?) should be announced as soon possible; hurry up Sakurai! D=

Hong

The Strongest
This isn't intentionally rebounding the above opinions, but just something I am getting off my chest from the comments I am reading here and off SmashBoards.

Lucina is the first clone who, barring maybe Falco, people actually wanted. Pichu. Dr. Mario, Roy nad Lucas (who, while has different moves, is more or less a patched Ness) cannot vouch for the same. If Young Link never happened, the support pool for another Link would probably be meagre, especially if they didn't fail to balance Link as often as they had. It's not like Link should have ever been a slow character to begin with.

Ganondorf doesn't count, because he did not manifest as the Ganondorf people wanted, and once again if he didn't appear as he did in Melee, people wouldn't have established the expectations. If anything, they'd be asking for Black Shadow to be a slower and stronger counterpart to Falcon. While Lucina supporters wanted something unique, at least her being like Marth is excusable.

Consider Lucina as being a very, from a developer standpoint, cost effective way of giving Fire Emblem fans the character that the majority wanted. Lucina is popular over here, popular with the developer, and heralded as one of the best characters in the series. As long as it doesn't gut the entire development process to add her (which it doesn't, since it took little effort), then she is fine. Making Lucina her own character entirely would actually cost something.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Having Lucina is better than not having Lucina. Even if she is a clone just to make the roster bigger. I don't care. When theres not a lot of time left you gotta do what you gotta do. I just hope nobody blames the clones for the lack of their favorite character. Though I guess you could blame Lucina for a lack of Roy if he doesn't make it.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
All this Lucina talk has gotten me thinking... I don't mind clones at all. I played a lot of Young Link in Melee, and love Toon Link in Brawl. It even took me a while back in the day to realize Ganondorf was technically a Falcon clone.

Besides, as long as we're talking about fighting game rosters, yeah, of course variety is the name of the game. But we should never forget that this is a genre built on the shoulders of Ryu and Ken.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I am okay with Lucina being a semi-clone. I mained Marth and she plays like Marth but I like her more than Marth. This is kind of awesome.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The FE characters did absolutely nothing for me. I've been interested in every character up until them.
For me Lucina was the only newcomer I've been excited about, aside from Villager.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I'm not sure how unpopular that is...
I'd wager Mr. Sakurai saved Falcon for this moment, knowing a lot of people wouldn't know who the Fire Emblem characters were, so he can at least give all Smashers what they wanted to see.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
So I finally get to voice my opinions without any chances of being shunned... Wow...

~ I hope Jigglypuff and Sceptile are in smash 4, giving mewtwo the boot yet again.

~ I want Ridley to join smash, but find it as an unrealistic pick due to diversity. What does he really bring to the playing field that is unique?

~ I think ganondorf's moveset is fine

~ I want the next reveal trailer to star MK and bandana waddle dee.

~ Bandana Dee would be amazing, why shouldn't we have a spear wielder?

~ I think bayonetta and Splatoon soldier would be kewl newcomers, but I hope project STEAM stays out of smash.

~ I want hades from kid Icarus. It's sakurai published, it's a Villan, wynaut?

~ I hope that snake is back, but I know he won't be.

~ I owe somene $10 now, because chrom isn't a playable character... Their arguemet against chrom? "There isn't ever gonna be more than 2 FE reps" (do I still pay them?)

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
-Ridley is an awesome character and he would will be awesome in the game too as a stage boss because lets be real here, hes going to be a stage boss and Sakurai was trolling all of us...again lol
-Lucario does deserve a spot in the smash bros roster because he is no freaking clone
-I can live without wavedashing and l cancelling
-I want the Ice Climbers cut from the playable roster
-I completely think R.O.B. is cool.....in Brawl of course, we all know the actual accessory sucked haha

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Lucina is one of the best newcomers we've gotten, I like her more than the whole E3 newcomer cast combined, though that's not saying much in my case.

Last edited:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
I honestly wouldn't mind the standard tournament format being similar to Nintendo's E3 tournament. Without items, of course.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
My biggest fear after Lucina's "clone" confirmation is that this increases Dark Pit's chances.

Dark Pit would be the worst addition to the roster alongside Miis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom