• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Ike should have the best footsie's in the game and hit as hard as a truck. Plus give him a move that can cover a great distance of the screen so he cant be lamed out easily. But he should be slow so he cant be a bad matchup for zoning type characters.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I would rather have just King K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo over :4greninja::4lucina::4mii::4palutena::4robinm::rosalina::4wiifit: as a whole.

Both Sonic's and Pit's Brawl voices were far better than their current ones.

Clones are a good thing, as late-development roster expanders.

I don't want Rayman playable, but I'd rather have him playable than just a trophy. I do like the Rayman series a lot, though. Not sure if this is unpopular.

Marth should keep speaking Japanese. "Les dans!"

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'd rather Ganondorf not have his moveset revamped. I like his moves the way they are now, lol. Maybe buff him, but don't change him. I wouldn't mind a little further luigification like from melee to brawl, though.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
-The other day I was thinking that a green Charizard would look like King K. Rool enough for him to not become playable (and I support King K. Rool).
-Rosalina and Palutena would have been fine by me if there weren't so many people calling them "waifus" and R34 the snot outta them.
-Its so strange that suddenly so many people are diehard fans of Bandana Dee and they are almost certain he will appear as a character. Meanwhile King Dedede is already in but no one cares for him.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm so glad that the director doesn't have an aversion to change like a lot of the fans do.

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
I honestly believe Smash 4 will replace Melee. Probably not Project M, but ehh. I'm going to get hit by trucks now, I suppose.

D

Deleted member

I honestly believe Smash 4 will replace Melee. Probably not Project M, but ehh. I'm going to get hit by trucks now, I suppose.
Just remember; look both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
Also, apparently a lot of people like Rosalina. I couldn't care less about her to be honest. Kk, now I'm ready for buses to hit me.

• Imo, it's not necessary that a character's every move and animation be taken directly from a previous game. Moves can be invented for Smash. I enjoy the liberties Sakurai takes with a character to make them more interesting fighters.
  • Some of my favorite movesets are the ones that were almost entirely created for Smash Bros. What did Sheik do in her own game besides play a harp? Now look at her! And I hardly need to mention Captain Falcon's adoration. Because of this, "How would they even fight?" isn't a valid counterpoint to character requests.
  • It doesn't bother me that Zelda uses Link's OoT spells or that Ness uses his friends' special powers. I prefer it; it's more interesting this way than any alternative.
  • Ganondorf doesn't need new moves. His difference in speed from Captain Falcon makes him play drastically different; this clone is the most removed from his "parent" and needs new moves no more than Falco does.
  • The core gameplay of Smash Bros. was sculpted around the Oceans Twelve original twelve fighters, which is why I feel they will never be cut. It's not just tradition's sake; it's a matter of each of the O12 being a measuring stick to the rest of the cast.
  • I am certain Jigglypuff will return. We need more cute Pokémon in the cast besides Pikachu; they shouldn't all be cool.
  • Even though I was adamantly opposed to Chrom being playable, I feel bad for the way he was treated in the trailer. :c
  • Wario's arms need to be fixed for this game. Compare official artwork of his beefy self compared to the bizarre, troll-like proportions in Brawl, where one can barely see that he has arms at all behind those giant hands. If Bowser was totally rebuilt to fit his appearance in his own games, Wario can get the same treatment and hopefully already has.

GameFreakJason

Smash Rookie
-I have never played Smash before, and never understood the rules until I player PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, which I actually enjoy (despite its flaws)
-I bought a WiiU for SSB, but I am somewhat afraid I wont love it like everyone seems to... though I love PlayStation All Stars, so I assume I'll like SSB even more since it seems to be mechanically superior
-I only recently learned about smash attacks, and now understand why I sucked when playing with friends, whenever they'd play at parties
-Not that it mattered, since I didn't know the point of the game was to ring out your enemies (I'd just spam hoping for a "kill")
-I feel nervous purchasing a WiiU since I don't have the money, but I hope to love SSB

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
-I have never played Smash before, and never understood the rules until I player PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, which I actually enjoy (despite its flaws)
-I bought a WiiU for SSB, but I am somewhat afraid I wont love it like everyone seems to... though I love PlayStation All Stars, so I assume I'll like SSB even more since it seems to be mechanically superior
-I only recently learned about smash attacks, and now understand why I sucked when playing with friends, whenever they'd play at parties
-Not that it mattered, since I didn't know the point of the game was to ring out your enemies (I'd just spam hoping for a "kill")
-I feel nervous purchasing a WiiU since I don't have the money, but I hope to love SSB
such bold first post C:
*edit - actually, now that i look at it closer, not sure that post belongs here, lol. should have just introduced yourself on your own thread, but idk anything :p

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
such bold first post C:
*edit - actually, now that i look at it closer, not sure that post belongs here, lol. should have just introduced yourself on your own thread, but idk anything :p
Indeed. Metallaeus is correct.

But no worries. Welcome to SmashBoards. Make sure to stop by the Welcome Center forum and get yourself acquainted with the community. This thread is more intended for posting opinions that run contrary to the opinions shared by the community, as opposed to experiences. :)

keninblack

Smash Cadet
-I do not see the hype behind Ridley AT ALL.

-Too many Fire Emblem characters to be honest. Marth and Ike were just fine.

-Mii's are stupid.

-Pac-Man is not a hype addition. Sonic in brawl was kind of a dated idea but I always wanted Sonic in Smash since I was a kid, so I accepted it. Pac-Man in Smash though is sooooo dated and boring though.

-Not really feeling Greninja.

-Really glad they separated Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS. Always found that annoying.

-Toon Link has the potential to be a really awesome and different character with all the new **** you can get in Zelda games and he's probably just gonna be another clone, or probably already is one. Thats lazy.

-Professer E Gadd would be an AMAZING character.

-No one agrees with me but Jeff, and Waluigi have enough things going for them to where they don't have to be assist trophies. They could definitely work as playable characters.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
People who think Pac-Man, Villager or Wii Fit Trainer should not have been playable annoy me.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
-I like Toon Link as a clone
-I think Funky Kong has a really good chance at getting in over Dixie
-I don't like Bowser's new upright posture

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
==> Megaman being in Smash isn't hype at all, i kept a poker face watching that trailer for the first time
==> Roselina has a large fanbase for some reason tbh she's a bland character even in the Mario series
==> Wii fit trainer and Villager are a complete joke
==> Mii's are stupid
==> | like the Little Mac inclusion
==> Don't care about Greninja pretty bland pokemon
==> Palutena was just a wtf character for me. For some reason i wasn't hyped up by the trailer
==> Pacman is dry
==> Lucina and Robin didn't interest me in the slightest Captain Falcon saved the trailer i literally screamed like a school girl when i saw his smile.
==> I don't think Ridley would be a good inclusion
==> I wish Sonic wasn't a carbon copy of his Brawl incarnation, he had his own fighting games(Sonic fighters and Battle) they could've easily been a little more imaginative with his moveset.
==> Pit and Sonics voices are annoying

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Also, apparently a lot of people like Rosalina. I couldn't care less about her to be honest. Kk, now I'm ready for buses to hit me.
I feel that way about both Rosalina and Palutena.

I've warmed up to Rosalina's inclusion, but I'll probably never be too happy about Palutena's inclusion. It just doesn't feel too right for a series that was so recently revived from a couple of decades ago to already get a second character.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
- I dislike the purpose and execution of Project M. If you wanna play a Melee Smash Bros. game, go play Melee. There are some really cool changes in the game made in Project M, but so many are not implemented well and the gameplay feels very unbalanced and unpolished. I'd much rather play the already extremely solid versions of the game made by the creators themselves than some modified version that has enough flaws to turn me away.

- Melee and N64 stages are the best. I feel like they were the most creative, despite not having as much gimmicks as those featured in Brawl. They were felt like Smash Bros stages themed around locations from other games, rather than locations themed around Smash Bros. Or they just felt more creative like I said earlier.

-I like all the newcomers, but despite how cool Greninja looks I still don't like how he's in the game. He's the most popular and cool-looking starter, but I just don't want him playable. Oh well.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
-I think all of the newcomers are great additions. Especially Wii Fit Trainer.
-Ridley is obviously going to be in the game and look/play amazing like every other newcomer
-I think landing lag is important to character balancing.
-I think Smash 4 will be the most balanced smash yet with the most viable characters.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
I never understood why people care that Toon Link and Link aren't the same person. Ignoring that the Zelda timeline is a pretty uninspired attempt by nintendo of connecting a game series that obviously was never meant to have an overarching storyline, why would you care if Link and Toon Link are the same person? The second 2 people pick one character, that sort of logic some people desire, where every character represents his own individual character and series, is gone anyway. So why would that sort of logic have to be present in the roster, when gameplay destroys it immediately, just doesn't make sense to me.

In Smash its just not important to me that everything makes perfect sense within every universe of every character and by the looks of it sakurai has a similar approach. If you'd like some sort of story that goes along with smash and actually makes sense, in smash 64 sakurai kinda invented his own story. Think of all smash character as Toys come to life that battle it out. Masterhand might be the hand of the child that owns the toys. Why does Masterhand appear to be evil? I don't know come up with your own interpretations, personally that sort of story from 64 is a lot more satisfying to me than anything else.

(but to be perfectly honest with you, by this point smash doesn't have a story and it doesn't try to make sense, so yeah.....)

JosukeM

Smash Rookie
- So far, the Pokémon fighting roster for this game has been dissapointing: Charizard, Lucario & Greninja are so overexposed and overrated, I would prefer another wildcard like Jigglypuff, Ivysaur or Squirtle
- I prefer Ness & Jigglypuff confirmation even if that means any other fan favorite Newcomer is left out: Original 12 > Everything
- Ridley will be in the game ... as a stage hazard, his shadow displays very static moves and is always flying
- Lucina would've worked the same as Marth's alternate costume
- There are too many "realistic" characters this time
- If the roster slots are limited, then I would prefer Wolf returning over Falco

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
- So far, the Pokémon fighting roster for this game has been dissapointing: Charizard, Lucario & Greninja are so overexposed and overrated, I would prefer another wildcard like Jigglypuff, Ivysaur or Squirtle
- I prefer Ness & Jigglypuff confirmation even if that means any other fan favorite Newcomer is left out: Original 12 > Everything
- Ridley will be in the game ... as a stage hazard, his shadow displays very static moves and is always flying
- Lucina would've worked the same as Marth's alternate costume
- There are too many "realistic" characters this time
- If the roster slots are limited, then I would prefer Wolf returning over Falco
What do you mean by too many "realistic" characters by the way? Just curious :)
Also you're right about Lucina, and Ridley too

nessokman

Smash Lord
Warning Received
-Wii Fit Trainer is an obvious choice, though nobody expected it.
-Voice actors overall look great.
-Fire Emblem is perfectly represented with four.
-Metroid is fine with it's two current reps

JosukeM

Smash Rookie
Well ... Mario characters are humans (well, Mario, Luigi, Peach & Rosalina are) but they still have a "cartoonish" style, Legend of Zelda characters, Zero Suit Samus, Kid icarus characters, Fire Emblem characters, Little Mac & C. Falcon all have more realistic styles ... and still, I loved Little Mac's addition and ...
- At this moment, I think Shulk is a given, the guy has been more hinted than Palutena
- I don't believe in the term "wasted slot", but now that Miis are banned online, I think they really are
- Customizable movesets are an excellent idea, being unable to use them on Free Online isn't

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
I don't care about the lack of villain representation, and I'm mixed in including Ridley and King K. Rool. Mainly since all villains sans Meta Knight are just super slow heavyweights.

I think some clones are better than the real characters. Dr. Mario > Mario. Toon Link/Young Link > Link. Which is why I'm interested in Lucina and Toon Link.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
IMO Sakurai was following the model of Joseph Campbell's "Hero's Journey" when creating the story of Smash Bros.

This fits in with Master Hand being a "final boss". Since the fighters are trophies and therefore toys, the Master Hand is the hand that plays with those toys. This elevates the hand to the status of "Father" (Not a literal father, but in the context of the Hero's Journey the "father" figure is a symbol of (possibly absolute) power and authority). In this sense, the fight with Master Hand is the "Atonement with the Father" step of the Hero's Journey, which is usually supposed to be the peak or climax of the story. This is backed up by the fact that, once the Master Hand is defeated, the fighter turns back into a trophy, therefore completing the "Apotheosis" (or transformation via death or a death-like state) step of the hero's journey. Shortly after that you gain "The Ultimate Boon", which in this case is the character's trophy, which is why you went through Classic mode to begin with.

Not strictly an unpopular opinion, since many don't know what "The Hero's Journey" really is, but it's how I choose to interpret Smash's story line: As a loosely-followed formula instead of a story.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Ordinary, human looking characters, I would think.

(sigh)...

- I stop caring about the newcomers after Brawl. Honestly, I think tuning up and fixing the veterans and gameplay for the better, as well as balancing stuff, should take high priority than adding new fighters and aesthetics.

- I feel that no matter what they add, this game will still be lackluster. No game will ever be the enjoyable as Melee.

- Using the official artwork for everything is just laziness. No other fighting game does that! Not even the first two Smash titles do that!

- Keeping Luigi's useless Green Fireballs was a stupid idea, as well as removing the parasol item.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
The 3DS stages (minus a VERY select few) are REALLY BAD.

I question why I pre-ordered it, was considering cancelling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom