• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I would be happy to see Jumpman playable in Smash 4, but I'm not holding my breath.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
It's probably not as "unpopular" as much as "not thought of" but, I think I'd really like to see the removal of buffering. I'm not sure why, but buffering just irritates me.
What's everyone elses thoughts on this? Would this be an improvement or deterioration?

The Kolonel

Smash Rookie
Just a few:

-Complaining and arguing about what characters Sakurai and his crew decide are important enough to be in the game is pointless. I want Geno and K.Rool as much as anybody (and probably more so), but you have to remember that with the both Melee and Brawl, usually less than half of the characters were actually useful in competitive play, and it was never the ones you wished.

-That said, some people are complaining about Rosalina being added because Smash is already over saturated with Mario characters. Shut-up, idiots. Mario's awesome! The more Mario characters, the merrier.

-While I want Smash 4 to be competitive, and I want it to be fast and to have a great combo game, I DON'T want wavedashing and l-canceling to return.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Rosalina is a basic character type in fighting games: a character plus a support, who copies you but you can space out.

However, that's an awesome concept, and with her floatiness and smashes' DI and aerial game, it looks mind-blowing.

I really love this Rosalina plus Luma concept. It looks like my Plusle and Minun concept wasn't too far off.

D

Deleted member

I don't think that Rosalina was a wasted slot, but I am disappointed that she got in.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
-I'll go ahead and say it. I honestly don't care about perfect balancing between characters. I'm not a competitive player with Smash Bros, I'm strictly casual. I'm gonna be honest, I never noticed a significant difference of power between the characters in Melee or Brawl. That's probably because I hardly played the game with people outside of my best friend and my sister.

-I don't want Pokemon Trainer back unless he keeps Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. I know the first gen has so much representation already, but it just doesn't seem okay for them to be replaced. I'd rather see Jigglypuff go than those three, and that's saying a lot, considering I don't want to see Jigglypuff go, either.

-I can't really make a stance on this quite yet, but I'll go ahead and say that I don't really know how I feel about Luma being with Rosalina. Maybe it's just because I imagined her solo. Then again, I didn't even expect her to make it at all. I'll probably warm up to it once the game comes out. I'm super stoked for Rosalina, however.

-Roy can stay away. We like Ike! Also, give me a magic user from Fire Emblem! (Micaiah please)

-Lucas can also gtfo.

-Snake can also gtfo.

That's it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I am indifferent to Rosalina, even though she basically sealed Bowser Jr's fate and I like him.

That being said, some of the reaction to her reveal showcased something I've always disliked about the Smash fanbase, which is the tendency to instantly idolize everything revealed for Smash. It's this attitude of "This is sooooo unique, therefore it was the obvious right choice, the only right choice, and Sakurai is a genius for making said choice." It's grating to me because I know that any other addition in place of the revealed one would be given the same treatment, and because the treatment may not even be merited in the first place. This happened with WFT's reveal as well to some degree.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I am indifferent to Rosalina, even though she basically sealed Bowser Jr's fate and I like him.

That being said, some of the reaction to her reveal showcased something I've always disliked about the Smash fanbase, which is the tendency to instantly idolize everything revealed for Smash. It's this attitude of "This is sooooo unique, therefore it was the obvious right choice, the only right choice, and Sakurai is a genius for making said choice." It's grating to me because I know that any other addition in place of the revealed one would be given the same treatment, and because the treatment may not even be merited in the first place. This happened with WFT's reveal as well to some degree.
I actually think that Rosalina and Luma are definitely the most unique choice, and (in my opinion) the best choice, but yes, Bowser Jr. probably is more... I don't want to say deserving, but for a lack of a better word, deserving. He's definitely got some things to make him unique, but I think in the long run, Rosalina brought more to the table.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I actually think that Rosalina and Luma are definitely the most unique choice, and (in my opinion) the best choice, but yes, Bowser Jr. probably is more... I don't want to say deserving, but for a lack of a better word, deserving. He's definitely got some things to make him unique, but I think in the long run, Rosalina brought more to the table.
That bit wasn't really Rosalina-exclusive (it's more applicable to WFT than anyone else), but you're probably right. Uniqueness is such a subjective thing to discuss in terms of Smash characters because all that ultimately matters is what qualifies as unique to Sakurai.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Ridley is not tenable character.

I would prefer SSB4 to play closer to brawl than melee. You can call it "brawl 2.0" for this reason if you'd like, but if the roster and movesets were diversified enough, and new play options were explored and well executed, and of course, for the love of science, balanced, what would it matter? Brawl allows a balance between defensive and offensive play, and the diversity gave it a wider range of strategy, and I prefer it that way.

Love Sonic, am a SEGA fanboy all day, and even like Tails and Knuckles over sonic as characters, but sonic is enough for a smash game.

On a similar note, Falco is my main on Brawl, but I could live if he got cut. Clones need to go or be adapted. And I couldn't really ask or expect them to axe Fox and Wolf and leave Falco, could I? :rolleyes:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was expecting more Rosalina hate posts. :p

I think the fact that newcomers are getting their own videos is the prime reason. Unlike Brawl, we actually get to see how they will work from the get go, and seeing how creative Sakurai has been with their movesets, it helps people to warm up to them really quickly.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I agree with this to a degree, but you have to admit, most people imagined Rosalina as little more than a Peach clone so it's hard to be disappointed with the end result. I'm still fairly indifferent to Rosalina too but I do give Sakurai credit for going well beyond my expectations for the character. Despite this, however, I do think she's the least worthy character to get in a Smash game since Pichu, regardless if her moveset is a breath of fresh air.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Brawl is defensive slow piece of crap smash 4 seems it will suffer the same fate. Melee and Project M gameplay wise are years ahead.​

SonicMario

Smash Master
Brawl is defensive slow piece of crap smash 4 seems it will suffer the same fate. Melee and Project M gameplay wise are years ahead.​
We get it, you don't like Brawl. Didn't you basically already say this earlier in the thread? :p

Or heck any post you made that mentions Brawl?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Don't you have ANYTHING else to post? Pretty much EVERY post you make is "Brawl sucks". Frankly, it's annoying.

Spend your time productively. Go play Project M. :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Brawl is defensive slow piece of crap smash 4 seems it will suffer the same fate. Melee and Project M gameplay wise are years ahead.
I know I'm not supposed to call people out on their opinions but..

Have you even done anything but bash Brawl and praise Melee / Project M?

I mean, there's a lot more to Smash Bros than just that.

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
I really like the look of the characters on the 3DS

Little Mac should get in, but he seems like he would be really boring

I know it won't happen, but I would really love it if Sora got in (it's not entirely impossible, Disney and Nintendo must have somewhat of a relationship because Nintendo wanted Mario and Luigi included in Wreck-it Ralph, but Disney couldn't find a way to work them into the storyline, several KH games have been on Nintendo consoles, KH is an action and semi-violent game anyways, KH is a very popular series and over a decade old, Sora being in the game could bring a lot of hype for both series, blah blah blah. But yeah, don't see it happening because Disney would still be meanies about it and Square would probably rather have a FF character in over a KH one)

I love Jigglypuff and hope it's never kicked off the roster (I wouldn't mind Jigg's moveset being overhauled though)

I wouldn't mind Pokemon Trainer's pokemon being replaced by gen 6 pokemon

After playing Y, I think Yveltal is cooler than Xerneas and I hope that Xerneas is exclusive to Wii U and Yveltal is exclusive to 3DS

I like that Mother has multiple reps and wouldn't mind seeing Ninten/Porky as long as they weren't clones (and I hope that Lucas and other clones are decloned, especially Ganondorf)

I like Toon Link and I'm glad he's not cut

Palutena doesn't really "deserve" to get in, but she would be a great addition and I would find it really strange if she wasn't included
-Same with Mewtwo and to a lesser extent Isaac

Mega Man seems cool and fun but compared to the other newcomers his reveal was the least exciting (mainly because he was expected)

I don't know if any of these are popular unpopular opinions because I only read the first page but here we are

Oops I forgot one:

Tingle would be a great playable character

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
  • Not returning to melee style and going to brawl style... hurray for freaking infinite chain grabs and metaknights....
  • There has been 2 viable stages so far... and neither were on the DS
  • lots of walking off stages
  • more hazards than usual
  • inability to hack the games
  • less characters
  • no lucinia and chrom pair up
  • probably ****ty sonic blue recolors... of blue

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I know I'm not supposed to call people out on their opinions but..

Have you even done anything but bash Brawl and praise Melee / Project M?

I mean, there's a lot more to Smash Bros than just that.
I have. 64 was a good game. Brawl is ****. When your recolors are so bad you need a rule about team colors, you're just being lazy.
Project M and Melee for life.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I genuinely believe a Mario character addition per game is a good thing, even though it's evident that Toad will never be granted playable status. Wario being added in Brawl counts as the same thing since people are used to seeing him with the Mario crew. Rosalina's not the most obvious choice, but I dare say she'll be one of the newcomers that get the average, non extensive encyclopedic knowledged Nintendo player excited alongside Villager.

Likewise I believe adding a Pokemon newcomer each game is also a good thing. You can add all the obscure Sukapons you want, but at the end of the day it's Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and DK/Kirby newcomers who are going to shift copies to those who don't care enough about Nintendo's tiny or dead franchises. Including a familiar face isn't a bad thing.

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
I would prefer that the smash team worked on updating the veterans' movesets a bit, even if it meant less new characters.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I would prefer that the smash team worked on updating the veterans' movesets a bit, even if it meant less new characters.
I actually agree on this. Bowser and Pit so far were changed a bit, maybe they're not the only ones. I can see Metaknight getting reworked.

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
I actually agree on this. Bowser and Pit so far were changed a bit, maybe they're not the only ones. I can see Metaknight getting reworked.
You agree? Then maybe my post doesn't belong in this thread, haha.

There are certainly plenty of characters who could use a rework. I agree with you on Meta Knight, and I'd also like to see a few magic moves for Ganondorf. Wario could use a few things from the Wario Land series as well.

For as good of a job Sakurai and his team does at being faithful to a character, I think they still miss lots of good ideas.

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
My terrible opinions-

-The melee community will hate the game(might be fact since i see a lot of melee people complain about project m cause it not melee)
-I think toon link 100% promises normal link F tier
-We will be stuck on Final Destination and battlefield
-I want the game unmoddable
-I would prefer less hitstun than melee, but more hitstun than brawl (I like how DI is so OP in brawl)

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
-I don't like Mario having that stupid ass flood move from Brawl. Sunshine was probably the worst Mario game ever made.
-I wish that Fox has an Armada outfit as an alternate. I also don't like how he looks so plushy, instead of that fierce look he had from N64 days.
-I wish Sakurai would take more advice from players. He seems to be very against the idea of competition in this game, which doesn't make sense considering that competition is what helped the series thrive for so long.
-Less gimmicks, more real focus on gameplay. Some things seem to be thrown in without much thought.
-Wii Fit trainer? Really? Of all the Nintendo characters to pick SMH
-The Wii U controller
-Smash on 3DS. Just focus on the Wii U version THEN make a portable version.
-Over-representation of some franchises, under-representation of others. Metroid is one of the most popular ever but all we get is 2 versions of Samus. I'm sure other characters could be added. There are enough Mario and Pokemon characters.
-The way Nintendo reveals information. It's all hype and no substance. Every video has to be dissected for information. Just give us a straight up 4 way fight!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
-I don't like Mario having that stupid *** flood move from Brawl. Sunshine was probably the worst Mario game ever made.
-I wish Sakurai would take more advice from players. He seems to be very against the idea of competition in this game, which doesn't make sense considering that competition is what helped the series thrive for so long.
-Less gimmicks, more real focus on gameplay. Some things seem to be thrown in without much thought.
-Smash on 3DS. Just focus on the Wii U version THEN make a portable version.
-Over-representation of some franchises, under-representation of others. Metroid is one of the most popular ever but all we get is 2 versions of Samus. I'm sure other characters could be added. There are enough Mario and Pokemon characters.
-The way Nintendo reveals information. It's all hype and no substance. Every video has to be dissected for information. Just give us a straight up 4 way fight!

Agreed with all of these... Especially the last one. A 5-10 minute gameplay teaser would be the best reveal yet but for whatever reason Nintendo is extremely stingy with what they choose to reveal to the public pre-release.

nessokman

Smash Lord
-Masked Man would be a superior choice to Lucas as a Mother 3 rep
-There are a lot of characters far more deserving than Ridley
-A magical Fire Emblem character would be nice (Tharja/Soren)
-This game will be superior to Melee in EVERY possible aspect, minus the competitive scene
-Project M will NOT compare to Smash 4
-Project M will never compare to a professionally made smash game
-Less Zelda Reps
-Gannon is fine how he is
-Snake should stay
-Mother is more than deserving of 2 reps
-Lucario should go
-Mega Evolutions should be excluded

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Agreed with all of these... Especially the last one. A 5-10 minute gameplay teaser would be the best reveal yet but for whatever reason Nintendo is extremely stingy with what they choose to reveal to the public pre-release.
You're not supposed to agree :chuckle:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I can see where you are coming from with that. Sometimes people just want to see things they like in the most pure from imaginable. That said, Rosalina looks fun. And she does some some unique properties. Which I feel the Wii Fit Trainer lacks. I just find the WFT to just be a boring character. I felt like I was missing something that everyone else understood.

I guess for other unpopular opinions go, I feel like Link will pretty much always be a low tier character. I don't know why, but he always lacks something to make him viable. Where as Toon Link has better bombs and a better Boomerang. On top of this he has speed on his side too.

memememe

Smash Apprentice
-No more 3rd Party Characters please.
-Cut a lot of the Brawl roster to make room for new fighters and play styles.
-Would hate to see Ridley, K. Rool, or anyone else I'm expecting to see.

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
  • I'm not especially concerned about how Smash 4's speed and general gameplay will compare to Melee/Brawl. So long as it's somewhere in the middle I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'm looking forward to a new gameplay experience, not hoping for it to match up with whichever previous installment I liked the best.
  • I want Pokemon Trainer either cut or heavily reworked. He's three lackluster characters in one - very underwhelming for the amount of work that must have gone into him. I'll welcome him back only if he's gonna be polished better next time.
  • I don't mind clones and semi-clones, but the Star Fox trio is pushing it. I really want to see them more diversified, or perhaps even have one of them cut and replaced with a unique moveset.
  • I actually wouldn't mind seeing a Diddy+Dixie duo character, so long as they functioned in a new way (differently from the Ice Climbers / Rosalina and Luma).
  • The E3 leak is bull. At best, the three newcomers were legitimately leaked while the other three were guesses haphazardly tossed in.
  • I think Professor Layton is the most likely third party candidate. His games are all but exclusive to Nintendo systems and helped quite a bit with selling the DS. He may not be a massive gaming icon, but unlike a lot of third party characters out there he's earned a place in Nintendo's history specifically. On top of that he has lots of unique moveset potential, which is something Sakurai seems to be looking for this time around...
  • ... But, I don't really expect to see any more third party characters. Sonic and Megaman are probably it - I'm not even too optimistic about Snake coming back.
  • I'm not counting on Ridley or K. Rool making it in.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
-I like Brawl airdodge more than melee airdodge

-I think Phoenix Wright would be a really cool character

-I don't want K Rool as a character (I would rather have Dixie)

-I think Earthbound should have another rep (Preferably Masked Man or Kumatora)

-I would rather have Ridley as an Assist trophy instead of a playable character.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I believe the original 12 smashers are going to be on Smash 4.

I also believe it's a given that those who have been on at least 2 installments will return such as G&W, Ganon, IC's, etc.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I believe the original 12 smashers are going to be on Smash 4.

I also believe it's a given that those who have been on at least 2 installments will return such as G&W, Ganon, IC's, etc.

I honestly thought both of these were quite popular opinions, or at least widely agreed on.

(granted Puff still gets some hate for being one of the least deserving Pokemon to make it in, but on the most part everyone agrees she'll be back)

-Still don't think anyone with a past Smash role will get altered for this game. Possibly ever.(Or until Sakurai retires from the series anyway);

-Impa won't get in(sorry Diddy)
-Ridley won't be playable(sorry 90% of Smashboards)
-Bandanna Dee will be thrown by Dedede this time round(sorry Chandelure)
-Toad will be a meatshield forever(sorry ...me.)
-Meowth will forever be a Pokeball Pokemon at best despite the inevitable fact that he will have done more for the Pokemon franchise in the current gen(thanks to the anime) than whatever random new Pokemon Gamefreak decide to promote and then drop one gen later.
-The big one everyone's going to hate: Little Mac will come back as an AT. Waluigi too.

Some of the playables will also remain unaltered for various reasons:
-Luigi as a representative of the MARIO series will never ever get his Poltergust because that's from his spinoff series
-Same reason as above for why Peach has yet to have a single reference to Super Princess Peach.
-Ganondorf will come back as per usual as a semi clone of Captain Falcon without many buffs.
-Link will continue to be terrible always as long as a younger version of him exists.
-Zelda series in general will continue to be terrible in terms of tiering except Sheik, Toon Link and possibly Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik/Tetra if they're added.
-Pokemon Trainer and Zelda/Sheik will not be any better balanced than in Brawl. Gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong.

-Pac-Man should be the only 3rd party considered for Smash 4.
-After this I'd be happy with no more 3rd parties. Not even Bomberman/Rayman/Simon Belmont/Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton/Sora/2nd Sonic character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
-Still don't think anyone with a past Smash role will get altered for this game. Possibly ever.(Or until Sakurai retires from the series anyway);
Don't mean to argue, but this already happened.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't particularly want Zelda to have her Skyward Sword look. It never clicked with me. Don't know why, but the Ocarina and Twilight Princess designs are the most interesting. Or maybe appealing would be a better choice. Much like Wario's Plumber costume and Fox's Melee suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom