• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not about the 3DS.
It's about sending a message..
*cough*
And y'know I could upgrade to an XL or the inevitable Smash 3DS bundle.
...I knew what it was about. :smirk:

Just didn't feel like putting up the trollface. :p

But seriously, while I want them back, I don't think it's worth breaking a system over. But to each their own.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
6) I want Chrom as a playable character and will be excited to try him out. I also think he is more interesting than Lucina, who is literally just female Marth. Avatar would be my first pick, but I consider him a pipe dream.
This is in it's entirety how I feel about the whole Awakening representation dilemma.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
...I knew what it was about. :smirk:

Just didn't feel like putting up the trollface. :p

But seriously, while I want them back, I don't think it's worth breaking a system over. But to each their own.
Well if it's a system that killed the Ice Climbers, then it is worth it.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I would be fine if Toon Link, Greninja, WFT, Sheik and Jigglypuff were all removed and if it meant the two in my signature got in I would do it in a heartbeat.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Not sure if this exactly pertains to SM4SH but considering you'll probably be able to use the classic controller I'll post it here anyway.

I have a mayflash(it allows you to use the gamecube controller on the Wii, because it acts as a classic controller) But not because of lag, but I wont use it for SM4SH, I prefer the Wii U pro controller over the GameCube controller.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I was never really bothered by clones. Maybe that's because at a competitive level their meta-games are usually very, very different. Thus if we had clones in SSB4, I wouldn't be angry at all. In fact, in the case of Lucas and Ness, i'd actually prefer that they had similar moves because I love both playstyles.

mrsilver722

Smash Rookie
Ooh, I have unpopular opinions! Lets do this!
8) I think Sakurai literally picks characters based on what he thinks is cool personally, and that's part of the reason we cannot predict him at all.
9) I suspect the boards are wrong on basically everything, and that I'm wrong on basically everything.
Defs agree with these. I feel like no matter what, the most we can do on these boards is speculate and hope for things aimlessly, without having absolutely any actual knowledge at all, but it's still pretty fun like that.

10) I never understood Roy's or Rosalina's popularity. Can someone fill me in?
I believe Roy's popularity stems from that he's the first GBA lord and thus also the first handheld lord. Most of it probably came from his appearing in Melee though (his awesome red hair and fire embedded moves might also have had something to do with it). With Rosalina, her popularity just boomed after her debut from the first Super Mario Galaxy game, which was insanely popular itself, and because of it she garnered a very loyal fanbase and so made many major appearances in later games (every Mario Kart since Wii, Super Mario 3D World, and now SSB4) as a staple character. She's probably also the only new character in the Mario series with actual significance; or now that I think about it, the only new Mario character I've seen overall.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Here's my unpopular opinion:
I prefer Ridley as a boss character. I also wouldn't mind if Pichu somehow returned.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Honestly I've seen this opinion so many times on here I'm not even sure if it's considered unpopular anymore. lol
Yeah...maybe I think that opinion is unpopular because people in support of him being playable are more vocal about it...

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Defs agree with these. I feel like no matter what, the most we can do on these boards is speculate and hope for things aimlessly, without having absolutely any actual knowledge at all, but it's still pretty fun like that.

I believe Roy's popularity stems from that he's the first GBA lord and thus also the first handheld lord. Most of it probably came from his appearing in Melee though (his awesome red hair and fire embedded moves might also have had something to do with it). With Rosalina, her popularity just boomed after her debut from the first Super Mario Galaxy game, which was insanely popular itself, and because of it she garnered a very loyal fanbase and so made many major appearances in later games (every Mario Kart since Wii, Super Mario 3D World, and now SSB4) as a staple character. She's probably also the only new character in the Mario series with actual significance; or now that I think about it, the only new Mario character I've seen overall.
Thanks! I understand Roy a little better now, but not quite Rosalina. I played Galaxy and the only reason for her popularity I can fathom would be her backstory, yet, I'm not drooling over her. But I will agree that she does seem to be a more significant character and has the feel of one too.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
In his current iterations, Toon Link should have never been added as anything other than an alt for Young Link. I would honestly have preferred an Assist Trophy of him using the Wind Waker to cause a hurricane.

Falco > Wolf in terms of returning/priority. Ideally I'd like to see both back alongside Krystal.

If anything, I want the "as good as cut " characters in and confirmed to spite the annoying detractors. This includes all the unrevealed/past Pokemon, Snake, Lucas/Ike/R.O.B./Ice Climbers and Ridley. I don't have anything against pessimists, but wanting a character cut for the sake of it is abhorrent, even if t meant getting the most frivolous newcomers.

I would still like an option to transform via taunts.

Reggie Fils-a-Mech would make an amazing newcomer.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Honestly I've seen this opinion so many times on here I'm not even sure if it's considered unpopular anymore. lol
This worries me about the mental state of humankind, if Ridley not being a character isn't an unpopular opinion...so, as you people love to wish characters not making it or being cut...

- Pokemon Trainer should've never been cut, Pokemon Trainer was an actual relevant character that came with a third of fanboy fantasy (Playing as Charizard), Charizard alone? 100% fanboy fantasy, he also makes no sense as a standalone character, especially given the concept that was presented with Pokemon Trainer, just the idea of the Trainer on the back giving the orders to the actual Pokemon, just like in the Pokemon games! Why couldn't we have the three PKMN Trainer Pokemon as their separate characters, but with the trainer on the back, like he should be? I mean, it's the equivalent of cutting Zelda and keeping Sheik, you're cutting the relevant part, and keeping a part that was only relevant because everything else was.

- Wii Fit Trainer, Mii and Villager detractors are mostly (Like 95%) 'hardcore' gamers who are too 'hardcore' to be playing casual games, so they hate everything that comes from casual games, this primarily comes from the misconception of the corrupted videogame Industry of what hardcore really means, and it has even infected Nintendo gamers.

- Wolf should be cut and replaced with Krystal, she'd actually make a pretty interesting character with her staff, plus it'd add another female to the roster.

- I wouldn't mind Lucas being cut and replaced with someone more unique from Earthbound.

- The 3DS version should have plenty of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon content.

- Wii Fit Trainer's the best thing ever. And she's a Nintendo All-Star now.

- Any of these characters making the cut before Ridley would be a disgrace to Metroid and Nintendo: Lip, Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Anthony Higgs, Vaati, Ghirahim, Medusa, Isaac. The only Nintendo All-Star that can stand up to Ridley in terms of must-be-on-this-game-or-else-it-sucks is King K.Rool.

- I hope the Wii U version's extra development time is being used to make a big-scale story mode.

- Gameplay on Smash isn't 90% as competitives make it out to be, it's more like 60% content, music, graphics, cameos, trophies, cutscenes and 40% gameplay, because the gameplay isn't exactly a Nintendo celebration.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
This worries me about the mental state of humankind, if Ridley not being a character isn't an unpopular opinion...so, as you people love to wish characters not making it or being cut...

- Pokemon Trainer should've never been cut, Pokemon Trainer was an actual relevant character that came with a third of fanboy fantasy (Playing as Charizard), Charizard alone? 100% fanboy fantasy, he also makes no sense as a standalone character, especially given the concept that was presented with Pokemon Trainer, just the idea of the Trainer on the back giving the orders to the actual Pokemon, just like in the Pokemon games! Why couldn't we have the three PKMN Trainer Pokemon as their separate characters, but with the trainer on the back, like he should be? I mean, it's the equivalent of cutting Zelda and keeping Sheik, you're cutting the relevant part, and keeping a part that was only relevant because everything else was.

- Wii Fit Trainer, Mii and Villager detractors are mostly (Like 95%) 'hardcore' gamers who are too 'hardcore' to be playing casual games, so they hate everything that comes from casual games, this primarily comes from the misconception of the corrupted videogame Industry of what hardcore really means, and it has even infected Nintendo gamers.

- Wolf should be cut and replaced with Krystal, she'd actually make a pretty interesting character with her staff, plus it'd add another female to the roster.

- I wouldn't mind Lucas being cut and replaced with someone more unique from Earthbound.

- The 3DS version should have plenty of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon content.

- Wii Fit Trainer's the best thing ever. And she's a Nintendo All-Star now.

- Any of these characters making the cut before Ridley would be a disgrace to Metroid and Nintendo: Lip, Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Anthony Higgs, Vaati, Ghirahim, Medusa, Isaac. The only Nintendo All-Star that can stand up to Ridley in terms of must-be-on-this-game-or-else-it-sucks is King K.Rool.

- I hope the Wii U version's extra development time is being used to make a big-scale story mode.

- Gameplay on Smash isn't 90% as competitives make it out to be, it's more like 60% content, music, graphics, cameos, trophies, cutscenes and 40% gameplay, because the gameplay isn't exactly a Nintendo celebration.
Falco should be cut, as wolf offers more than what he can give to the game. Krystal should be added, but not because she's a woman, but because she's a Starfox character that actually can have a different type if moveset. Technically, the PKMN trainer is irrelevant because Pokemon never needed humans in the first place and can fight by themselves. It's not like cutting Zelda but not sheik, as pokemon don't need trainers to fight.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Falco should be cut, as wolf offers more than what he can give to the game. Krystal should be added, but not because she's a woman, but because she's a Starfox character that actually can have a different type if moveset. Technically, the PKMN trainer is irrelevant because Pokemon never needed humans in the first place and can fight by themselves. It's not like cutting Zelda but not sheik, as pokemon don't need trainers to fight.
Pokemon fight better with trainers behind them, the games have shown us that. And I personally like Falco because he has a Sonic-like personality and a 'cool' flair to him, unlike Wolf's 'I'm the bad guy' attitude. You're saying that the MAIN CHARACTER that you play as in all main series Pokemon games...is irrelevant?

Last edited:

Dott

Smash Ace
I would like that the online mode have a microphone options to talk with your friends in and out of the room.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
'hardcore' gamers do not care who is in this game, they only care how a character plays. The ones complaining about those characters you mentioned are mainly people who are pissed those characters got in instead of their favorites. 'Hardcore' gamers, they don't give a flying ****.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Mewtwo shouldn't and WON'T come back and people really should stop considering him such a shoo-in.

People who think R.O.B. is less likely to come back than Mewtwo should wake up to themselves and those who think R.O.B. is a likely cut don't have a clue on how anything works.

Pokerhappy

Smash Cadet
I would take any number of Fire Emblem characters over Chrom. Chrom wasn't a compelling character, and there's nothing special about him. Wanting Chrom is basically wanting a nondescript sword-wielder who happens to have a counter because Sakurai is really creative and Fire Emblem characters get counters.

I would have them choose any magic-user or a pegasus knight or anyone the least bit interesting to play, instead of going with the boring lead. But because it needs to be a main character and Fire Emblem's main characters are in a perpetual state of Lordiness (excepting Radiant Dawn, which would be a good source), that probably won't happen.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would take any number of Fire Emblem characters over Chrom. Chrom wasn't a compelling character, and there's nothing special about him. Wanting Chrom is basically wanting a nondescript sword-wielder who happens to have a counter because Sakurai is really creative and Fire Emblem characters get counters.
Honestly, whether or not this is even an unpopular opinion is debatable.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I hold content and gameplay in equally high importance. It's an exact 50/50 split. I wouldn't enjoy playing the game if I couldn't play as my favorite characters, but I also wouldn't enjoy playing as my favorite characters if the gameplay weren't as good as it is. Thankfully, Project M takes my favorite roster in the series (Brawl) and melds it with my favorite gameplay (Melee). It's the perfect Smash "game" for me.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Perhaps. Mostly I'm just getting it out of my system for when Chrom is inevitably announced.
I don't think it's inevitable for many reasons. He's clearly not a standout character - he is consistently compared to both Marth and Ike, and with good reason; Awakening was a reinvention of the series, and Chrom is obviously designed to be somewhat of an homage to all of the previous Lords. So is Lucina, to an extent. And a lot of other characters, from what I've seen.

If Fire Emblem gets four character slots, which I honestly could see, Chrom is probably an inevitability. But if it's only three, I doubt that slot would be wasted on a character with so little potential. Roy, or someone no one expected, like, say Robin, or Anna, could be chosen instead for the sake of uniqueness.

Pokerhappy

Smash Cadet
If Fire Emblem gets four character slots, which I honestly could see, Chrom is probably an inevitability. But if it's only three, I doubt that slot would be wasted on a character with so little potential. Roy, or someone no one expected, like, say Robin, or Anna, could be chosen instead for the sake of uniqueness.
I don't see Roy coming back. He's important to PMers, maybe, but he's irrelevant to the game's wider audience. I don't see them drawing from old Fire Emblem games when Awakening just came out. And I'd enjoy Anna for the novelty, but that would be coming completely out of left field.

As far as Awakening goes, Chrom and Lucina are the only characters that really represent the game. Choosing, say, Sumia or Anna over Chrom or Lucina would be like if they had never put DK in Smash Bros and instead decided to represent his series with Kiddy Kong after Donkey Kong Country 3 came out.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't think it's inevitable for many reasons. He's clearly not a standout character - he is consistently compared to both Marth and Ike, and with good reason; Awakening was a reinvention of the series, and Chrom is obviously designed to be somewhat of an homage to all of the previous Lords. So is Lucina, to an extent. And a lot of other characters, from what I've seen.

Roy is totally not coming back.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't see Roy coming back. He's important to PMers, maybe, but he's irrelevant to the game's wider audience. I don't see them drawing from old Fire Emblem games when Awakening just came out. And I'd enjoy Anna for the novelty, but that would be coming completely out of left field.

As far as Awakening goes, Chrom and Lucina are the only characters that really represent the game. Choosing, say, Sumia or Anna over Chrom or Lucina would be like if they had never put DK in Smash Bros and instead decided to represent his series with Kiddy Kong after Donkey Kong Country 3 came out.
Then what do you think of Lucina?

Pokerhappy

Smash Cadet
Then what do you think of Lucina?
I mean, she's female Marth. The cutscenes seem to emphasize that she's very fast, but she's a lord just like Chrom. She uses a sword and does little of note. Unless you count
traveling time.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I mean, she's female Marth. The cutscenes seem to emphasize that she's very fast, but she's a lord just like Chrom. She uses a sword and does little of note. Unless you count
traveling time.
Sigh..yes, yes, of course.
Heard it all before.

That, I'm afraid, is a popular opinion...

Last edited:

Pokerhappy

Smash Cadet
Right. Which is why I went with Chrom, who seems to have much more support.

Also, I don't think Lucina has much of a chance. She's not the main character, and not close enough to one nor innovative enough to beat out Chrom.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Pokemon fight better with trainers behind them, the games have shown us that. And I personally like Falco because he has a Sonic-like personality and a 'cool' flair to him, unlike Wolf's 'I'm the bad guy' attitude. You're saying that the MAIN CHARACTER that you play as in all main series Pokemon games...is irrelevant?
So are you saying that Pikachu, Greninja, Lucario, and Jigglypuff should have trainers behind them too?

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman

I would have them choose any magic-user or a pegasus knight or anyone the least bit interesting to play, instead of going with the boring lead. But because it needs to be a main character and Fire Emblem's main characters are in a perpetual state of Lordiness (excepting Radiant Dawn, which would be a good source), that probably won't happen.
Ironically, I posted in my unpopular opinions that I think Chrom would be a great addition and there are some interesting and unique ideas that could make his moveset different and I also posted that I don't mind clones all that much. I guess we're at an impasse? I disagree about Chrom being 'nondescript', just because he shares some similarities with Ike and Marth. That is, unless you consider all FE lords nondescript.

Here's an unpopular opinion; Between Ike and Chrom I would pick Chrom. I don't think there is anything sacred about being a fighter in a previous game at all, and if new, fresher options are available they should be taken. This games' creation will not void the previous one and modders will probably re-add them anyways.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
For me now, aside from the clone argument, anyone who cuts Lucas being extremely biased on the underrated Mother series and is just following popular logic, and is removing one of the greatest Nintendo characters (as defined by Sakurai in the direct) whose game considered better than Earthbound.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
For me now, aside from the clone argument, anyone who cuts Lucas being extremely biased on the underrated Mother series and is just following popular logic, and is removing one of the greatest Nintendo characters (as defined by Sakurai in the direct) whose game considered better than Earthbound.
Personally, I believe the only way that Lucas is in trouble is if he gets scrapped for Ness' custom moves.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
REALLY UNPOPULAR OPINION INCOMING: Despite popular belief, Lucina is, in fact, not "literally" a female Marth.

She is actually a character with her own design, voice, motives, and personality. Whether or not they are good is debatable, but still, she is what she is, and that isn't Marth, as the Hero King "Marth" died a thousand years before her birth.

D

Deleted member

REALLY UNPOPULAR OPINION INCOMING: Despite popular belief, Lucina is, in fact, not "literally" a female Marth.

She is actually a character with her own design, voice, motives, and personality. Whether or not they are good is debatable, but still, she is what she is, and that isn't Marth, as the Hero King "Marth" died a thousand years before her birth.
I think you might be misunderstanding (maybe I am who knows), but people are saying she would basically FIGHT like a female Marth (or at least very similarly), not that the character herself is a female Marth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom