• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Toon Link is nothing but wasted potential. He has so many moves he can utilize to differentiate himself from Link but I guess it's not meant to be... If he's going to remain a semi-clone then I'd rather if he got cut, and this is coming from a huge WW fan.
I just wanted to use the Deku Leaf. =( Before Toon Link's reveal I would have said he was gonna be cut for Girahim or something.

-If Sakurai can give Pac-man a cool moveset, then I have no issue with him being in the game whatsoever.
-I've said it before but the Chrom talk above makes me want to say it again: There's so many weapons in Fire Emblem. Please don't give us another swordsman.

Morbi

Scavenger
My unpopular opinions:
1) **** WFT, she's a *****. (lol)
2) Impa makes much more sense at this point than Sheik. I wish we would've got her instead.
3) Chrom makes white bread look exciting.
4) I really am not a fan of this recent or this casual bent Sakurai is on. Wii Fit doesn't need it's own character, it could've been represented fine under the Mii umbrella. Chrom may be recent, but he's super boring and bland and I'd rather have almost any other Lord playable instead. Greninja looks like a fun character... but it's clear he got included because he's sixth gen, and I wish that didn't play as much of a priority as it did.
5) Nintendo is being dumb releasing the 3DS version first. Even if it's further in development, Nintendo does not need any more reasons for people to dote upon the 3DS at the cost of the Wii U.
6) Rosalina is too big. Little Mac is too small.
7) Ridley is not too big, but Sakurai probably sees him as less than feasible.
8) I do not like the idea of characters from traditional fighters in Smash, with the sole exception of Sukapon.
9) Snake had no real business being in a game celebrating Nintendo, certainly not over some other Konami characters, but he was still a cool character. I hope he returns.
10) I'm still torn on whether I would've rather had Sakurai make a SF game or Uprising. (Not really Smash related)
11) People who blame Krystal for the demise of SF are dumb, people who think she would be added without the staff are also dumb (This one might not be an unpopular opinion)
12) Jigglypuff taking up a spot on the roster kinda sucks. Nothing against the character, but if she was never included no one would still care about her.
13) Sakurai aiming to include 25 newcomers in Brawl (at one point or the other) but not decloning Ganondorf is ridiculous (that's probably not unpopular either)
14) I like the idea of Chorus Men, but only if there are three of them
15) I think the pedigree of Smash only improves with third-party characters, assuming they are used in limitation and with relatively strict standards
16) When Nintendog shows up my immediate reaction is "Dawww", not annoyance
17) I was upset Pokemon Trainer was not referred to as Red. I suppose that's a fairly moot point now.
18) I would've rather had Bulbasaur, Wartortle, and Charizard than what we got
19) That damn WFT.
20) I've never disliked the idea of getting Duck Hunt Dog, I think he'd be a funny, original character who fits the iconic Nintendo character mold perfectly
21) I think including Nintendouji would be a better surprise character than any we've got previously, as he can represent Nintendo's hanafuda history
22) Having two boxing rings takes away from the Punch-Out version
23) I'm quite happy characters no longer transform. I never liked that mechanic.
24) I wish ZSS's boobs were smaller, they look silly, but the rest of the character looks so great all in all I don't really care
25) Mii is a perfectly deserving character, and as much as I don't want them, I don't see any sound arguments against their inclusion.
26) The Sal leak is totally real, either that or he's a wizard.
27) If there isn't voice chat, I won't be too bummed.
28) Dr. Mario to date has been the dumbest, least deserving, and laziest inclusion.
29) The Villager's recovery is ill-fitting to the character.
30) Tingle is without a doubt the most deserving Zelda character who isn't one of the main three - don't care if he's included though
31) Yoshi being held off until the Direct was dumb. Either have him in March or wait for his Japanese release.
32) I'll be upset if there aren't CG cutscenes in the game past the newcomer trailers
33) Zoroark should've been included over Greninja, but at least he's a pokeball
34) I'd love to see Geno in Smash
35) I'm happy we still have a Temple-like stage, even though NPC was an abomination
36) Even though I like Ness and Lucas, Mother didn't need a second character
37) People need to let the Melee comparisons go. It's not the be all and end all of everything, and I'm glad this game isn't just going to be a Melee 2.0
38) I fundamentally don't see what people see in Chrom.
39) Bah, WFT.
40) Sakurai needs to stop jerking around the Ridley supporters. I mean he's a troll and all, but just put them out of their misery.
41) I really hope stickers don't return
42) I do hope the Chronicle returns, I found it interesting. Perhaps a bit of a redesign to make it more exciting though.
43) I hope there's day one DLC, not on disc though.
44) Announcing SSB4 in 2011 was too early
45) I'm not terribly saddened by the probable fate of Squirtle and Ivysaur.
46) I'm still not sold on Smash Run, though it having actual existing enemies is a good start
47) It might sound contradictory, but Sakurai is both more open-minded and more close-minded than we give him credit for
48) I believe Sakurai is prioritizing the wrong factors when adding characters this time around
49) No single newcomer addition or omission will ruin this game.
50) **** WFT, she's a *****.

Phew.
I am surprised that we agree on so much; I thought it was usually the other way around.

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
  • There is no single character that can be revealed that will make me want the game less. That doesn't mean there won't be characters that I'd be disappointed to get/not get though.
  • That said, if Chrom gets in over Robin, Lucina or Anna I will literally eat my Wii U.
  • I don't want Mewtwo back.
  • I don't know why people think there'll only be 45 characters or so.
  • I think it's a good idea to release 3DSmash before SmUsh.
  • I still think Ridely has a chance to get in.
  • I don't see why Melee's so great, honestly. Not Smash 4 specific but whatever.
  • I'd rather lose Sonic than Snake but what're you gonna do.
  • I wish they'd have replaced Sheik with Impa.
  • The only Namco rep I'd be completely happy with is Agumon.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
While we're on the topic of Chrom, I'm going to agree with the last few sentiments that have been expressed on him. (By its nature, this thread sometimes skews which opinions are unpopular, doesn't it?)

Marth and Ike are equal opposites that cover all the ground of a pure swordsman. Marth has speed, finesse and requires proper spacing, and Ike is sluggish, hits like an autobus and requires proper timing. (You could say all characters require proper "spacing and timing" but it is pivotal for these two especially.) I feel that there is no third playstyle that goes perpendicular to them for Chrom to fulfill. And somewhere-in-the-middle would be pointless. The two we have do it all.

Chrom replacing Ike is outlandish. Ike contributes so well to the cast that there is no way he'd be booted just because he hasn't had a starring role lately. He's like Jigglypuff and Ness, in that regard. He won't be swapped out just because he's an RPG character.

As far as advertisement, Chrom doesn't need to advertise Awakening. That game's sales have run their permanent course. The only marketing value he would have is if there's an "Awakening 2" on the horizon. Besides, Marth and Ike don't just "advertise" the games they're from, but they raise awareness of the entire Fire Emblem series.

Lastly, I disagree with the belief that Chrom should make it in simply for being the new guy. If that's how it worked, then Intelligent Systems could be happy for life knowing any FE protagonist they pump out is guaranteed a spot in Smash Bros. That spot has to be achieved. Marth and Ike are milestone characters for the series and Chrom, cool as he is in his own game, is pretty much not.

As I've before said, I don't dislike Chrom as a character, but there are a lot of characters I like that I concede wouldn't add much to the Smash Bros. cast diversity. He is one such.

[Deep breath.]
A third fighting style for a fire emblem character could have the use of swords and tomes, Robin! How do people keep skipping this character and pay no attention to him/her! This is an awakening character that better represents the series than both Chrom and Lucina. Sorry if I talk about Robin so much, I just have to defend my character.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Here goes:
  • I don't think that customisable movesets have an INHERENT negative influence on competitive play from what we've seen so far
  • No Ridley
  • No Geno either
  • WFT is a bad character choice (I got flak for saying this before, so I'm pretty sure this is an "unpopular opinion")
  • The 3DS version isn't worth buying
  • ZSS should have been cut
  • Lucario shouldn't have made it in over certain other Pokemon and is likely overpowered by the look of things
  • *insert more character complaints here lol*

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Toon Link is a wasted opportunity, not just because he could easily not be a clone, but moreso because he's only being used to represent Wind Waker specifically. There's an entire subset of Zelda games (some of which I'd also unpopularly argue are better than Wind Waker) using this character design, and he should be portrayed as a composite of all of the toon-styled Links (much as how the adult Link is a composite of all of the other Links), and not just the Link from Wind Waker exclusively.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Everyone seems to think Greninja is in Smash 4 but I disagree with that

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
A third fighting style for a fire emblem character could have the use of swords and tomes, Robin! How do people keep skipping this character and pay no attention to him/her! This is an awakening character that better represents the series than both Chrom and Lucina. Sorry if I talk about Robin so much, I just have to defend my character.
*cough*Or Anna*cough*. Y'know since she can reclass to a Mage and such. Sure I'm grasping straws here but it could make for some creative moveset making. Levin sword could be interesting too. Also I believe Merchant Annas use lances so they can use that for Smash as well. :T Just sayin... Possibilities.

More opinions:
- I honestly don't mind if Smash 4 becomes Brawl 2. My only major gripes for Brawl were the floatiness and the tripping. Looks like both of those will be fixed here so I'm golden ^_^
- As one of the 10 people here who actually played Wii Fit, I'm genuinely glad WFT is here. I'm honestly more hyped for her than Little Mac (as if I haven't said that enough...)
- If the starman item doesn't have a rainbow effect, I'll be flipping tables!
:/ Actually I'm not sure if the invincibility from the starman has been shown yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
That being said, is there seriously no item discussion here? I still can't find it...

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Toon Link is a wasted opportunity, not just because he could easily not be a clone, but moreso because he's only being used to represent Wind Waker specifically. There's an entire subset of Zelda games (some of which I'd also unpopularly argue are better than Wind Waker) using this character design, and he should be portrayed as a composite of all of the toon-styled Links (much as how the adult Link is a composite of all of the other Links), and not just the Link from Wind Waker exclusively.
Uh, Toon Link doesn't represent any of those games. He's actually the Konami representative for the Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card game, where he appears as a Toon Monster.

Last edited:

Moczan

Smash Rookie
I think people have a really unhealthy attitude towards the roster. I don't think any character 'deserves' to be in game no matter how popular or relevant it is. As long as we get as much unique character as possible I will be happy, even if my favourites get cut/won't get in. That's why I think that de-cloning characters should be priority.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At this point, I wouldn't mind adding clones / semi-clones to buff the character roster.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Ridley should remain a boss in the series and never be a playable character he would be a charizard clone.
No Miis
Mario needs the fludd removed.
I hope this game feels more like it's own thing than anything close to brawl.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In a hypothetical sense, if it had to come to it. I'd rather keep Toon Link and cut Link instead and rename Toon Link to Link.

There ya go, now we finally have only one Link that everybody always whines and moans about and a child Link that Sakurai always wants to keep around and Link will finally no longer be bottom tier. Everyone wins! Except for those who prefer the adult Link but meh....

I wonder if this would be called an unpopular opinion, or a controversial opinion.... Ah well, I regret nothing!:bluejump:

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
We need more clones. Either we get some new ones or the currently unconfirmed clones don't change too much. For God's sake people , Falco is more than fine the way he is in Brawl, what in the world would you change more?

And now for the real unpopular opinion: I wouldn't be upset if Ganon returns the way he is in Brawl (I mean his moves, not his ****tyness). Of course, some tweaks would be welcome, and some moves could be changed a bit, but I would rather that than a complete overhaul. In the event he is revamped, hopefully he keeps the Stomp, Flame Choke and his fair.

T

Trick or Treat

what in the world would you change more?
Removing him completely.

Though I do pretty much agree, Brawl Falco is good the way he is.

The only clones (or semi's) that really need to change now are Lucas, Ganondorf, and Toon Link.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
In a hypothetical sense, if it had to come to it. I'd rather keep Toon Link and cut Link instead and rename Toon Link to Link.

There ya go, now we finally have only one Link that everybody always whines and moans about and a child Link that Sakurai always wants to keep around and Link will finally no longer be bottom tier. Everyone wins! Except for those who prefer the adult Link but meh....

I wonder if this would be called an unpopular opinion, or a controversial opinion.... Ah well, I regret nothing!:bluejump:
Honestly, I had a similar idea to that. But it would probably cause even more problems.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Ooh, I have unpopular opinions! Lets do this!

1) I want there to be cuts and I have no problems with characters 'inheriting' movesets from older characters. That is to say if they wanted to remove Ike and replace him with Chrom + some tweaks I'd be fine with it. I'd prefer Chrom to have his old moveset, but I don't care that much...
2) I want more clones; I like having multiple characters that have *very* similar movesets, but have enough differentiation between them that you still need to learn both. I think that the compare/contrast is kind of fun.
3) I have no interest in Mewtwo returning unless he has a new moveset. I like Mewtwo a lot as a Pokemon, but his moveset in Melee is terrible. If I have to choose between no Mewtwo but a less 'deserving' newcomer vs. old Mewtwo, I'll take the less deserving newcomer.
4) I'm glad transforming is dead and gone, and I sincerely hope that Ivysaur and Squirtle do not return.
5) I think Sakurai does care somewhat about making it look like the franchises are balanced, and that he came up with the idea of a trainer before he made the movsest. I suspect only once the game was in full development or even some time after that did he begin to think of the three Pokemon as separate characters. Now that transformations aren't a thing I suspect we will see an equal number of Pokemon and Mario characters. This is less because of his own beliefs and more out of a desire to avoid fan backlash at certain characters not getting in.
6) I want Chrom as a playable character and will be excited to try him out. I also think he is more interesting than Lucina, who is literally just female Marth. Avatar would be my first pick, but I consider him a pipe dream.
7) If Snake, ROB, Jiggs, Ike, and Lucas/Ness didn't come back, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Especially for moar newcomers.
8) I think Sakurai literally picks characters based on what he thinks is cool personally, and that's part of the reason we cannot predict him at all.
9) I suspect the boards are wrong on basically everything, and that I'm wrong on basically everything.
10) Assuming the IC's work because we have Rosalina + Luma and Olimar + Pikmin seems foolish, as rendering Nana at 60 fps, especially in busy IC free for alls, would be very expensive. The only shred of evidence that they are returning that I find likely is the polar bear enemy in smash run. I hope they are in because I like them, but I am not taking it for granted until they appear on that site.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
1) Toad and Ridley fans are in denial about their character even having the slightest chance in being playable after much evidence saying otherwise.
2) I don't like the new Dojo in the slightest, it's so boring and half the pics of the day are filler. However, I don't want Sakurai stressing over blog-like posts again so small comments of new info are what I'd rather have
3) I don't want Jigglypuff to return
4) I hope there's more unique newcomers than just Chrom, K Rool, and Palutena cause they'd seem too predictable and make for a real boring roster, I mean what's a meal without some seasoning?
5) I still don't understand why Sakurai chose to make the 3DS version come first cause now everyone will buy the 3DS version and ignore the Wii U one (and most of the people I know are doing this)
6) I hate Palutena's character and don't want her in, she was a terrible goddess and only abused and used Pit (which is why I'd like Pit to stay the sole representative of KI cause she is just awful)
7) I hope no more clones are made, that being said, characters like Paper Mario who are the same person but radically different are fine.
8) Speaking of Paper Mario, the Mario RPGs need more representation.
9) The Smash Direct was the best Nintendo Direct period.
10) I never understood Roy's or Rosalina's popularity. Can someone fill me in?

Thor

Smash Champion
Moczan said:
I don't think any character 'deserves' to be in game no matter how popular or relevant it is.
Sakurai, you heard the man. Cut Kirby and Mario for starters- there are obviously better movesets to be had.

Or else it can be asserted that Kirby and Mario DO deserve to be in the game.

ChaosKiwi said:
That said, if Chrom gets in over Robin, Lucina or Anna I will literally eat my Wii U.
When Chrom gets in, since you said "literally", record it and post it, I want something that will make a cool gif.

Other stuff:

I really want my CF, Falco, MK, Jiggz, and Ness back. I'd get over the loss of any other character (and no new characters) no problem.

WFT was a good choice, because it's unorthodox, not because it's actually a character fit to be in a fighting game.

The above pun was intended and it was funny.

People who want Jigglypuff, Ness, or Captain Falcon cut/not returning are either delusional, haters, have no sense of how characters fill niches, have no sense of series representation in Smash, have no sense of shame, have no sense of continuity or of the Smash series as a whole, or probably all of these.

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Sakurai, you heard the man. Cut Kirby and Mario for starters- there are obviously better movesets to be had.

Or else it can be asserted that Kirby and Mario DO deserve to be in the game.

When Chrom gets in, since you said "literally", record it and post it, I want something that will make a cool gif.

Other stuff:

I really want my CF, Falco, MK, Jiggz, and Ness back. I'd get over the loss of any other character (and no new characters) no problem.

WFT was a good choice, because it's unorthodox, not because it's actually a character fit to be in a fighting game.

The above pun was intended and it was funny.

People who want Jigglypuff, Ness, or Captain Falcon cut/not returning are either delusional, haters, have no sense of how characters fill niches, have no sense of series representation in Smash, have no sense of shame, have no sense of continuity or of the Smash series as a whole, or probably all of these.
Dude...I've loved Smash Bros ever since I was a kid, it's my favorite game of all time. I'm pretty sure it's fine for me to not think Jiggs is cool enough to stay due to seniority. (btw this isn't criticism just defense but I do agree on Ness and C. Falcon)

Oh God that pun tho

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Playing with items on is more fun than with them off.
I like how Mario has the FLUDD. It has its place, albeit at every select moments.
Squirtle was the best Pokemon Trainer Pokemon to use in Brawl, but I won't miss him or Ivysaur if they are cut.
I don't have much of a problem with cruise-style stages.
I'm not disappointed that Sakurai is excluding Subspace-esque cutscenes. Like, look on the bright side, that leaves more room for content.
I hope they put in the Chronicle.
I dislike how Zelda's Phantom is based off of the toon Legend of Zelda series. Why not model the design after a Darknut? Albeit a smaller, non-canon design?
I don't understand why people want Chrom. Sure, he's in the best-selling game in the series but I don't think that's enough.
I hope Meta Knight doesn't get nerfed that much. Not on Project M levels, at least.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I do like the FLUDD idea. It has potential, but Samurai turned it into a move full of wasted pentontail.

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
I liked young link and Pichu and would love it if they returned.
I liked young link considerably more than toon link.
Actually I just really dislike toon link.
For me it would be ideal if smash 4 was faster than melee but without the l cancelling and wave dash techniques (and it's not because I cannot do them.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
10) Assuming the IC's work because we have Rosalina + Luma and Olimar + Pikmin seems foolish, as rendering Nana at 60 fps, especially in busy IC free for alls, would be very expensive. The only shred of evidence that they are returning that I find likely is the polar bear enemy in smash run. I hope they are in because I like them, but I am not taking it for granted until they appear on that site.
If Ice Climbers end up cut because of this, I'll punch a hole through my 3ds and eat it!

SuperSmashDrake

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashDrake
3DS FC
4811-7419-2384
I think if the rendering of IC is really an issue, that the partner one should be rendered like an Assist Trophy (30 FPS over 60).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom