• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Hi.

I recently figured out how to do really nice, HD renders.... Would you like some for your project? They could then be turned into CSPs.

I want to practice a bit, and using Ridley would be a great way for me to do that.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros I heard you mentioned "rimlighting" in one of your posts, so I was wondering... how is it working out on the spiked model?
Not much different from the default model.
Right, gonna have to do that. But at least it's working; which is the biggest point. Now that it's working, I can go and modify it to look better and make it fit in more. And considering I'm already helping development, I'll continue to lighten the load as much as I can. :p
Basically, I should probably just list what I'm working on/going to work on as of now;
  • Editing the title cast roll to include Ridley
  • Editing events related to Pit to refer to Ridley
  • Other miscellaneous details (icons, portraits for other modes, etc.)
  • General details related to Subspace Emissary (like cutscenes) if possible.
You'd better edit events themselves then. Its possible. But i doubt you can do anything about cutscenes.
Hi.

I recently figured out how to do really nice, HD renders.... Would you like some for your project? They could then be turned into CSPs.

I want to practice a bit, and using Ridley would be a great way for me to do that.
Sure. But wait until i will send updated models because there is a large difference between old and new versions (old versions used Other M materials, shaders and specs while new version uses kinda uses Smash 3 rimlighting). Unless none of this is used for models.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
But i doubt you can do anything about cutscenes.
There's guides to making .thp files (which is what cutscenes in the SSE use), but it turns out the process is...well, pretty complicated. :p So that'll be a very late part of the development process.

In other, less fortunate news; An unfortunate circumstance has led to the laptop I've been doing most all of the work so far on to be...well, dead. The battery won't charge properly and I think the cord's on it's last legs. Making it worse is that it might be until late May at earliest that I can get help replacing them, so from now until I get back to school, I'm stuck using my dad's laptop, and once I did that, BrawlBox started being fritzy; it crashes if I try to open the sc_selevent.pac file...oi. I'll need to figure it out tomorrow, because I gotta go to bed now.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Probably that.

While i main him, i always forget about ATs and im rather random with my actions, so, you'd see Sakurai's team putting effort into SSB4 Ridley before seeing me on any tournaments.

Speaking of that, its a good thing i actually test Ridley and fix glitches we find, unlike Sakurai's team and their Ridley:
...where was i? Oh, right, get a load of this:

Custom animations? Too good.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Custom animations? Too good.
Well o' course! How else? Everythin' by good ol' me.
There's guides to making .thp files (which is what cutscenes in the SSE use), but it turns out the process is...well, pretty complicated. :p So that'll be a very late part of the development process.

In other, less fortunate news; An unfortunate circumstance has led to the laptop I've been doing most all of the work so far on to be...well, dead. The battery won't charge properly and I think the cord's on it's last legs. Making it worse is that it might be until late May at earliest that I can get help replacing them, so from now until I get back to school, I'm stuck using my dad's laptop, and once I did that, BrawlBox started being fritzy; it crashes if I try to open the sc_selevent.pac file...oi. I'll need to figure it out tomorrow, because I gotta go to bed now.
Thats unfortunate.

drogoth232

Smash Lord

Also, classic Ridley's tail does not clips through everything. Instead, it either pushes opponents off or causes him to get pushed. Don't know should i leave it like that though. Its not too long to be much of a problem. I certainly can't use it for Other M Ridley since his tail is too long and his tail blade will still clip through stuff, so, it will just make it harder to move around.
Eh, I think the mouth open and closes too fast. Not much force behind them imo.

Don't know why, but I don't like how the right leg stays pretty much static. Why not have him step forward with that leg first and then step back?

And as what other people have been saying? Neckpls.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
One: He's a bit too big, this is really easy to fix though.

Two: Most of his moveset is just Charizard's with added effects, any chance of making him a bit more unique?

Three: Wow he's scary, I would be afraid to face something that menacing! Good work!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Eh, I think the mouth open and closes too fast. Not much force behind them imo.

Don't know why, but I don't like how the right leg stays pretty much static. Why not have him step forward with that leg first and then step back?

And as what other people have been saying? Neckpls.
Yeah, it kinda does. It just snaps back.

Its kinda hard to pose them without Maya, but i'll try and see how it looks like.

Im not done with the model.
Two: Most of his moveset is just Charizard's with added effects, any chance of making him a bit more unique?

Three: Wow he's scary, I would be afraid to face something that menacing! Good work!
WHAT?! His Down B is completly different, his Up B is completly different, his Side B is completly different, his FTilt (im using PM Charizard instead of vBrawl Charizard since this is a PM mod) is completly different, his FSmash is completly different, his UTilt is completly different, his DTilt is completly different and the list goes on. The only similar attacks are FAir, BAir, UThrow, grab attack and neutral B firebreath alt (which still works differently since it has high knockback and hits only once, can't be angled and still allows him to move around if used in the air) and thats it. Are you sure you not thinking of the very old version?

Thanks. Not really my work though (the model at least), but whatever.

Naxshe

Smash Rookie
Don't get me wrong i love this mod as much as the next guy. but ridley is kinda op at the moment. most of which is his stupidly op recovery, his down air and his roll. he has a couple other things that are pretty op. but those were the ones that stood out to me the most

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Don't get me wrong i love this mod as much as the next guy. but ridley is kinda op at the moment. most of which is his stupidly op recovery, his down air and his roll. he has a couple other things that are pretty op. but those were the ones that stood out to me the most
I agree about DAir (at its current state at least and only because of the whole bounce off the ground part), but not others. His recovery is predictable (not as bad as Ganondorf and Captain Falcon's, but pretty close) and his rolls are short and slow (they were overpowered in early versions because they covered too much distance, but that was fixed).

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Aayyyeee check it out

EDIT: I'll do the spiked version later

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Yeah I accidentally applied the wrong textures I think. I'll fix it when I render the spiked model tomorrow.

I'm also not a fan of his left foot position, so I'll tinker with that as well.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah I accidentally applied the wrong textures I think. I'll fix it when I render the spiked model tomorrow.

I'm also not a fan of his left foot position, so I'll tinker with that as well.
Then could you also bend his tail more? It looks rather stiff at the end.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Yeah, it kinda does. It just snaps back.

Its kinda hard to pose them without Maya, but i'll try and see how it looks like.

Im not done with the model.

WHAT?! His Down B is completly different, his Up B is completly different, his Side B is completly different, his FTilt (im using PM Charizard instead of vBrawl Charizard since this is a PM mod) is completly different, his FSmash is completly different, his UTilt is completly different, his DTilt is completly different and the list goes on. The only similar attacks are FAir, BAir, UThrow, grab attack and neutral B firebreath alt (which still works differently since it has high knockback and hits only once, can't be angled and still allows him to move around if used in the air) and thats it. Are you sure you not thinking of the very old version?

Thanks. Not really my work though (the model at least), but whatever.
He's made to be airborn a great deal, which means that most of his moveset are aerials. His Nair, Bair, Fair, (I think Up-air), F-tilt, and up-throw are mostly Charizard's.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
He's made to be airborn a great deal, which means that most of his moveset are aerials. His Nair, Bair, Fair, (I think Up-air), F-tilt, and up-throw are mostly Charizard's.
That's only because both of them share the same basic body design, though. As for the UThrow, I don't recall Charizard impaling people on his tail as he flies upwards for that. :p

Also, there's a difference between animation similarity and cloned moves; they just happen to look similar because they're the same body shape.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
That's only because both of them share the same basic body design, though. As for the UThrow, I don't recall Charizard impaling people on his tail as he flies upwards for that. :p

Also, there's a difference between animation similarity and cloned moves; they just happen to look similar because they're the same body shape.
Like I said, the similarity is in utility. It doesn't matter what the aesthetics are, it's what they do. His combo potential, setups, and spacing is very similar to Charizard (with a little Jiggly thrown in)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
His NAir is Wolf's NAir, his F-Tilt is completly different from PM Charizard's (its not a bite) and his U-Air is Wolf's. Up Throw is not an aerial attack. If he is aerial kind of guy, it doesn't means that only those attacks should matter. You still have to get your opponent off the ground and its dangerous to stay in the air with his low falling speed and no reliable way to deal with opponents below him (DAir isn't safe to use because opponent has to dodge just once and you won't go far and aerial Down B still leaves his legs vulnerable to attacks).
Like I said, the similarity is in utility. It doesn't matter what the aesthetics are, it's what they do. His combo potential, setups, and spacing is very similar to Charizard (with a little Jiggly thrown in)
His spacing tools are different, his combo setups are different as well and there is no way to make a character based around aerial combat different enough from character with same style, especially when both are similar in appearance.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You know, since i REALLY wanted Meta Ridley to be available for classic Ridley, i decided to try him out with current animations. Results weren't...acceptable. So, i tried it the other way and it looked fine outside of his tail being too long and his...whatever that kind of finger on the back of the foot is called getting distorted. I have fix for both of these. Doing all of this will also decrease animation size since i have to remove 1 finger on each hand. Here is result (sorry for leaving...this thing out, but it doesn't matters much):

Looks better now. I will fix his tail later. The only problem left with Meta Ridley i can't fix are his wings. Other M Ridley's wings don't look like they would fit him at all.
Also, i was messing around with Firebrandley and got this as a result:

Weird, huh? It doesn't means anything, but i guess he can be rigged over Ganondorf like this.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
A question to those who can use ATs - how would you rate his ATs performance? I need such rating for each one, from Wavedashing to...SHHFLF whatever.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Since I've tested him thoroughly:

Wavedash: Fairly mediocre, has some applications though.
Moonwalk: nois
SHFFL: Weird timing but useful when hit because bair and fair are stronk
B-Reversal / Wavebounce: Pretty cool when combined with his fireballs
DACUS: Dacus has great range and his Usmash has a pretty large hitbox. Very useful.

Not sure what ATs to list other than that, hm..

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Since I've tested him thoroughly:

Wavedash: Fairly mediocre, has some applications though.
Moonwalk: nois
SHFFL: Weird timing but useful when hit because bair and fair are stronk
B-Reversal / Wavebounce: Pretty cool when combined with his fireballs
DACUS: Dacus has great range and his Usmash has a pretty large hitbox. Very useful.

Not sure what ATs to list other than that, hm..

Gotta go to straight to the new readme and...something else.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Any solutions regarding the collision? Ridley landing so early when using a rising aerial below a platform is a real nuisance.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So I like where a lot of this stuff is going, but when should we expect 2.0? I would think some decent balance patches would be as good a start as any given that the alt models and all that will take a ton of time.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So I like where a lot of this stuff is going, but when should we expect 2.0? I would think some decent balance patches would be as good a start as any given that the alt models and all that will take a ton of time.
Don't know. I still have to finish few things (new 100% ledge attack because current one is unnecessarily flashy, Neutral B, Assist Trophy glitch fix, etc). Can't get to doing that though.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
his...whatever that kind of finger on the back of the foot is called getting distorted.
That's called a dewclaw, for the record. Though if we were to be anatomically accurate, it really shouldn't be near the sole of the foot in a standing pose; dewclaws in most animals with them are higher on the lower leg than the other toes.

But that'd require rerigging and reanimating the model. :p

PurpFreez

Smash Rookie
UGH YA KNOW WHAT I WANT?? A community filled with skilled moders all working to add characters to project M. it would be fantastic. Like, i want so much more awesomeness, now that i know this is possible!

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
UGH YA KNOW WHAT I WANT?? A community filled with skilled moders all working to add characters to project M. it would be fantastic. Like, i want so much more awesomeness, now that i know this is possible!
only if the Clone Engine had a ton of room for more characters, that would be a possible thing. Hell, could you just imagine somebody did a standalone PM mod featuring like 12 of Nintendo's iconic villains?

l'd love to see somebody attempt to do a Beast Ganon PSA and try to audition it to add in PM.

there's even a new model of him as well (no trident or ALBW model though)

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
It's great to see Ridley getting better and better, and while it would be cool for the PMDT to make more clone engine slots possible. The problem is that there's only so many sound banks they can replace, unless some people are ok with a character sounding nothing like themselves lol

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
only if the Clone Engine had a ton of room for more characters, that would be a possible thing. Hell, could you just imagine somebody did a standalone PM mod featuring like 12 of Nintendo's iconic villains?

l'd love to see somebody attempt to do a Beast Ganon PSA and try to audition it to add in PM.

there's even a new model of him as well (no trident or ALBW model though)
Yeah, it would be awesome to have more slots, but at other hand, its better that way. Because with limited slots, PMDT has to chose only those who are absolutely necessary and not waste time on too many characters.
Angelglory's model would fit Brawl a lot better than this one. He has to finish it first though.
That's called a dewclaw, for the record. Though if we were to be anatomically accurate, it really shouldn't be near the sole of the foot in a standing pose; dewclaws in most animals with them are higher on the lower leg than the other toes.

But that'd require rerigging and reanimating the model. :p
Thats not a dewclaw (done research on it). Dewclaw is vestigal. Ridley's is not since he uses it to grab Samus in Super Metroid. He has anisodactyl type of feet (3 toes forward and 1 back...but he has only 2 toes on the front). Like this:

Unlike birds, he has no tarsometatarsus outside of MP3.

Welp, thats all for the lesson. Now back to the mod.

Last edited:
Top Bottom