• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Nevermind, should have read all the posts on this page.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
His Other M stance looks better (his arms don't look...flat) though.
Yeah, I suppose that the Other M stance looks a little better, but it's really just an idea toss to try and alleviate the one aesthetic issue I currently have with Ridley; he looks too....crunched up. The wings are fine, but it's the torso that really bugs me. It's like he's always stuck in the middle of a crunch or his back's giving out on him.

I made a bipedal version, and I think it looks a bit better (while still keeping him from being overly large):
Bipedley.png

The only realy flaw is the tail's end looks a little wonky; and that's only because of the bones. :p It looks less like he has back problems, and overall looks just a bit more natural.

I kept him still slightly hunched, though; I like a mild hunch, but Ridley is not exactly someone who looks good cosplaying Quasimodo. :p

Ridley's also been bipedal more than he's been quadropedal, so I'd suggest having both options if you even decide to try this out. :p

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, I suppose that the Other M stance looks a little better, but it's really just an idea toss to try and alleviate the one aesthetic issue I currently have with Ridley; he looks too....crunched up. The wings are fine, but it's the torso that really bugs me. It's like he's always stuck in the middle of a crunch or his back's giving out on him.

I made a bipedal version, and I think it looks a bit better (while still keeping him from being overly large):
View attachment 50196
The only realy flaw is the tail's end looks a little wonky; and that's only because of the bones. :p It looks less like he has back problems, and overall looks just a bit more natural.

I kept him still slightly hunched, though; I like a mild hunch, but Ridley is not exactly someone who looks good cosplaying Quasimodo. :p

Ridley's also been bipedal more than he's been quadropedal, so I'd suggest having both options if you even decide to try this out. :p
Ridley always had back problems:
Not using Brawl because its not canon. Used that image of Other M Ridley roaring because you rarely see him from agle that would show how hunched over he is. Ridley is a rather weird guy, especially in Other M, where his fingers and wings bend in really weird ways and its very noticable, so, not an animation error. Original Metroid for NES is the only game where he wasn't like this.
And his neck shouldn't be posed like this either.

I'd rather keep him bipedal because its easier to animate. SilentDo0m keeps him such too (outside of normal and fast walking animation).
...i really miss his animations and im still waiting to see week 3's results.

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Ridley always had back problems:
Not using Brawl because its not canon. Used that image of Other M Ridley roaring because you rarely see him from agle that would show how hunched over he is. Ridley is a rather weird guy, especially in Other M, where his fingers and wings bend in really weird ways and its very noticable, so, not an animation error. Original Metroid for NES is the only game where he wasn't like this.
And his neck shouldn't be posed like this either.

I'd rather keep him bipedal because its easier to animate. SilentDo0m keeps him such too (outside of normal and fast walking animation).
...i really miss his animations and im still waiting to see week 3's results.
I found it funny how so many people accused your mod for making him constantly crouched even though Ridley is usually crouching anyways. That's what I love about your mod so much. Everything is just so... Ridley.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I found it funny how so many people accused your mod for making him constantly crouched even though Ridley is usually crouching anyways. That's what I love about your mod so much. Everything is just so... Ridley.
Yeah, they should do research first and then try to say anything like this. Even heard once that my Ridley looks too monstrous with all of those spikes, sharp teeth, etc. He kinda is when compared to other characters, but thats Ridley being Ridley.
Thats the goal. To make him be RIDLEY accurate to Ridley as we know him. Gotta keep it accurate.

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Yeah, they should do research first and then try to say anything like this. Even heard once that my Ridley looks too monstrous with all of those spikes, sharp teeth, etc. He kinda is when compared to other characters, but thats Ridley being Ridley.
Thats the goal. To make him be RIDLEY accurate to Ridley as we know him. Gotta keep it accurate.
Lets not forget the people (including Sakurai) who believe that Ridley is all about being big even though he is usually one of the smallest main bosses in almost every game he is in. If they want to know somebody who is all about being big, then they can go see Kraid.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Lets not forget the people (including Sakurai) who believe that Ridley is all about being big even though he is usually one of the smallest main bosses in almost every game he is in. If they want to know somebody who is all about being big, then they can go see Kraid.
There also was Quadraxis, Vorash, Phantoon (who is so much bigger than Ridley and everyone in the game that its ridicolous) and i think that MP3 giant robot thing, but not as much as those 3 and Kraid. Ridley doesn't uses his size any more than he would if he would be just slightly bigger than Samus (7ft tall, for example). Outside of MP3 Meta Ridley fight of course.
Kinda sad, really. Its like saying that Ganondorf is all about being evil and big. Well, maybe he is about being evil, but there is more to it than that.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
There also was Quadraxis, Vorash, Phantoon (who is so much bigger than Ridley and everyone in the game that its ridicolous) and i think that MP3 giant robot thing, but not as much as those 3 and Kraid. Ridley doesn't uses his size any more than he would if he would be just slightly bigger than Samus (7ft tall, for example). Outside of MP3 Meta Ridley fight of course.
Kinda sad, really. Its like saying that Ganondorf is all about being evil and big. Well, maybe he is about being evil, but there is more to it than that.
Remids me of that picture that you made.

Buuuttt anyway, I don't think you need to change the tail at all, Why fix something that isn't broken?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Remids me of that picture that you made.

Buuuttt anyway, I don't think you need to change the tail at all, Why fix something that isn't broken?
Yeah, kinda ridicolous...
Because its broken? Its range is too high right now and it will clip through things less if his tail length will be reduced. Reminds me of Mewtwo's pre-3.5 range he had thanks to his tail.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Yeah, kinda ridicolous...
Because its broken? Its range is too high right now and it will clip through things less if his tail length will be reduced. Reminds me of Mewtwo's pre-3.5 range he had thanks to his tail.
I wasn't talking about the range, I meant how it looks right now it's fine.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Model update:

Made his tail thinner and added spikes to his head because it looked rather empty before. I merged those two small spikes on top of his head into two large spikes to give him something that looks like those horns he has in other games. This is going to be default model now. I probably won't add other spikes.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Much, much better. I agree that this should be the default model. I can't think of anything I'd change now, honestly.

EDIT: Actually, the textures might require a little cleanup here and there, but model-wise he is pretty much perfect.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Gonna be honest, I kinda liked the elbow spikes; they were kinda neat, even if they ultimately didn't do anything to the moveset besides look cool.

Maybe his pummel could be a stab with the elbow spikes instead of a bite?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Much, much better. I agree that this should be the default model. I can't think of anything I'd change now, honestly.

EDIT: Actually, the textures might require a little cleanup here and there, but model-wise he is pretty much perfect.
Rimlighting and cool spec textures like in old versions?
Gonna be honest, I kinda liked the elbow spikes; they were kinda neat, even if they ultimately didn't do anything to the moveset besides look cool.

Maybe his pummel could be a stab with the elbow spikes instead of a bite?
I liked them too. Made him look more threatening.
It would be rather hard for him to perform though. Bitting is faster and more effective.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Looks cool! But I'm still not 100% sure about the tail textures. That's why I made a quick mockup of what I meant before:

Maybe just add some gradient coloring to them so they go from a lighter purple shade to a darker one. Fits the rest of the body better imho.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Rimlighting and cool spec textures like in old versions?
I think a little bit of specs would be nice, sure, but Smash 3 rimlighting is all I think you'll need on that front.
What I was really referring to was stuff like this. I think that's an excellent adjustment. Do a couple things like that over the body (the wings and head look fine to me) and you've got something beautiful.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Looks cool! But I'm still not 100% sure about the tail textures. That's why I made a quick mockup of what I meant before:

Maybe just add some gradient coloring to them so they go from a lighter purple shade to a darker one. Fits the rest of the body better imho.
It does looks better. Can't do gradient coloring though. All segments use same area for their texture, so, if i change it, all of them will change.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I was actually refering to gradient coloring for the individual segments so that'd work.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Model update:

Made his tail thinner and added spikes to his head because it looked rather empty before. I merged those two small spikes on top of his head into two large spikes to give him something that looks like those horns he has in other games. This is going to be default model now. I probably won't add other spikes.
He's perfect.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
They all share one single polygon and same texture (which is part of a larger texture and all segments use same area). Can't be done by me.
I was honestly thinking that it may be best to just hand the textures off to a veteran anyway. They can do the best that the community has to offer on that front, and since you've already got the model down, you can continue the PSA while they work and tweak their design as you see the results.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I was honestly thinking that it may be best to just hand the textures off to a veteran anyway. They can do the best that the community has to offer on that front, and since you've already got the model down, you can continue the PSA while they work and tweak their design as you see the results.
Thats a good idea...but pretty much everyone is busy with their own stuff, so, im not sure it will happen anytime soon. And technically, model is still not done since it still has to have its rig fixed.

Last edited:

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Model update:

This is so beautiful...Are those tears in my eyes?

Wolley2xjd

Model update:

If you're going to use the same color has his skin then it should be shorter but not small but instead be wider the the tail itself, basically something like "Classic Ridley's tail."

themaziest

Smash Cadet
This is totally true, the model right now is really good but the textures need to be addressed by a pro. The mod is popular out there, I'm sure you can find a kind soul for this colossal work.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Thats a good idea...but pretty much everyone is busy with their own stuff, so, im not sure it will happen anytime soon. And technically, model is still not done since it still has to have its rig fixed.
Ah, right, I forgot about the rig. In any case (since that won't affect the textures), you could at least reach out to a few people. Even if it takes a while, it still should happen.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Model update:

Nailed it on the tail. It's even better than the original! :)

Ah, right, I forgot about the rig. In any case (since that won't affect the textures), you could at least reach out to a few people. Even if it takes a while, it still should happen.
If the UV's on this one cooperate, the major Smash 3C contributes could look at it.

I await for the new CSP's of Ridley...

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Actually Meta Ridley from Metroid Prime was bigger than his two incarnations in Metroid Prime 3. No idea why this is.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Actually Meta Ridley from Metroid Prime was bigger than his two incarnations in Metroid Prime 3. No idea why this is.
Really? Well, he still doesn't uses his size like you'd expect a boss that uses it to use it.
Does this work for Dolphin's Project M?
Yes.
If you're going to use the same color has his skin then it should be shorter but not small but instead be wider the the tail itself, basically something like "Classic Ridley's tail."
Not sure what you said, but if you mean his tail blade should be wide instead of being thin like a blade, then it will require most animations to be edited.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Really? Well, he still doesn't uses his size like you'd expect a boss that uses it to use it.
Yeah. Think of it like this... In MP1 he could bite and conceal the morph ball, in MP3 he could just barely fit it his mouth. Look at (gorgeous) boss battles for both. You'll notice. And yeah, he plans stuff out and is more cunning in his fights than relying on size and strength particularly in MP1.
(Omega Ridley pretty derpy however, probably due to the phazon messing with his mind and making him more instinctual than cunning)
So I get what you mean, he is not merely a Bowser class villian, he is so much more than a giant dragon destroying things.
And yeah, devil tail/arrowhead blade is the best here. May fix everything in terms of appearances.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Yes.

Not sure what you said, but if you mean his tail blade should be wide instead of being thin like a blade, then it will require most animations to be edited.
OK Let me word it better, The tail blade is flat but the bottom of the blade should be longer the spikes on his tail, the tail blade would still be the same size but the base so to speak would be longer in length but not the width.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs70/200H/i/2012/018/f/4/omega_ridley_tail_by_gneiss_chert-d4mslka.jpg

like his other incarnations the tail bulk is small from the tail tip then gets thicker to his bum.
Oh. Well, that was fixed then...i guess...

Now it has its arrowhead look again. And its not so ridicolously large. I will buff his sourspots to balance out its major hitbox size decrease. Its not symmetric, but thats because its...its just better that way considering how he holds his tail during most of animations.
Also, pose above is used for Back Roll now. Im using SilentDo0m's animation as a base for it (and no, i still don't have them, i just made it from scratch while using his animation as a reference). I will do same thing with his DTilt and dash animation (but not running animation). And FTilt if 3rd week of Ridley animations' results will be posted because as far as i know, it was done during that week.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman

Now it has its arrowhead look again. And its not so ridicolously large. I will buff his sourspots to balance out its major hitbox size decrease. Its not symmetric, but thats because its...its just better that way considering how he holds his tail during most of animations.
Also, pose above is used for Back Roll now. Im using SilentDo0m's animation as a base for it (and no, i still don't have them, i just made it from scratch while using his animation as a reference). I will do same thing with his DTilt and dash animation (but not running animation). And FTilt if 3rd week of Ridley animations' results will be posted because as far as i know, it was done during that week.
Oh boy... I am liking the changes! It gives a very nice blend of other Ridley incarnations to stand out as its own!

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555

I knew that'd fix it haha! Looking good there, keep up the work.

On another note, another day goes by with no one to rig models for you. Shame...
The horns on his head, the ones above his eyes... May I suggest something?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I knew that'd fix it haha! Looking good there, keep up the work.

On another note, another day goes by with no one to rig models for you. Shame...
The horns on his head, the ones above his eyes... May I suggest something?
I don't really expect anyone to appear, so, i don't feel like this.
What exactly?

So, i updated all animations to have this shorter length. This is the new range comparison now:

Dedede has higher max range, but Ridley has higher minimal range. At least difference isn't as high as it was before.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
That looks like a good range to me. What I feel is most important now is getting the flow of his moves to feel more natural. Despite him having a lot of options, he usually feels pretty strange when using him.

Top Bottom