• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

DPBOX

Smash Rookie
I was very optimistic about this mod. I've been following this thread since there were only 10 pages in it. I thought this mod was awesome. It was extremely professional and very well done. I was very happy.

However, ever since the first post on Page 88, my feelings regarding this mod did a complete 180. Now, I don't like the current state of the mod.

I loved it before the first post on Page 88. Now I feel disappointed and sad. The reason is I don't like all of the radical changes you made to the Other M model like. See, I like Ridley just the way he is. I think Ridley's appearance in Metroid: Other M is the best. He looks so freaking realistic!

What do I mean by "radical changes"? When you posted the spike less model, I thought to myself, "Well, that's O.K. Bagan said the spiked model will be included, too." I like the spiked model better because it makes him more menacing and more true to his character and ... it just looks cooler and more awesome.

I DEFINITELY don't like the changes you made to his tail. I LOVE the tail blade. You know, the one in the original Other M model that you were using before the first post on Page 88. I think that DEFINITELY makes him seem more menacing. It LOOKS more powerful, even if it really isn't. I mean, think about it. Imagine getting hit by a sharp point vs. a razor-sharp sword-like ... thing. The sword-like tail SEEMS like it will hurt more in my opinion, and, since Ridley likes inflicting pain, it'd be a little more true to his character. You won't have to change the hit box size, I think. You can probably just put the old tail blade back on. Also, only Other M Ridley has a tail like that, making him more unique. You also seem to suggest that the old tail blade will NOT come back, which is why I'm complaining. I don't know, if you think the tail blade is too big, you may be able to just decrease the size of the tail blade.

I think you said you wanted to change his tail because you wanted to decrease its range. Am I right? Tell me if I'm not. Well, I fell that, considering the sour spot gimmick, that the range he has in 1.95 is good. Having a longer range also increases the sour spot length. If the range is long, you have to think a little more and have a little more precise timing. You're rewarded with big damage and knockback, which I think is appropriate. Decreasing the range decreases the sour spot size, making it a little easier to hit your foe, but the damage and knockback is the same. Do you see what I'm saying?

I feel that if you want to use Other M Ridley, it must be Other M Ridley. Yeah, sure, you can change little stuff like the length of his tail or the size of his wings, but I feel that big changes like your new tail simply degrade the model and character and make it NOT original.

I'm not saying "no" to these changes. I'm just recommending that, when the mod is finished and not being updated anymore, include multiple versions of the models to cater to everyone's different tastes and needs in the download. To be safe, I'd recommend:

Spiked Other M Ridley (Tail Blade) (my preference)
Spikeless Other M Ridley (Tail Blade)
Spiked Other M Ridley (Tail Point)
Spikeless Other M Ridley (Tail Point)
Spiked Other M Meta Ridley (Tail Blade) (You're still making Meta Ridley, right?)
Spikeless Other M Meta Ridley (Tail Blade)
Spiked Other M Meta Ridley (Tail Point)
Spikeless Other M Meta Ridley (Tail Point)
Brawl/Classic Ridley
Brawl/Classic/Prime Meta Ridley
MAYBE Omega Ridley?

This mod is ambitious. I believe you can do anything. I believe you CAN include all of these versions in the download. Please don't give up. I have faith in you. I know you can do it.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Rise in this mod's popularity has led to a massive increase of Ridley's pictures everywhere.

What if his goal is to make a Ridley based on all appearances rather than limit himself to one model in particular? That would be original.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I was very optimistic about this mod. I've been following this thread since there were only 10 pages in it. I thought this mod was awesome. It was extremely professional and very well done. I was very happy.

However, ever since the first post on Page 88, my feelings regarding this mod did a complete 180. Now, I don't like the current state of the mod.

I loved it before the first post on Page 88. Now I feel disappointed and sad. The reason is I don't like all of the radical changes you made to the Other M model like. See, I like Ridley just the way he is. I think Ridley's appearance in Metroid: Other M is the best. He looks so freaking realistic!

What do I mean by "radical changes"? When you posted the spike less model, I thought to myself, "Well, that's O.K. Bagan said the spiked model will be included, too." I like the spiked model better because it makes him more menacing and more true to his character and ... it just looks cooler and more awesome.

I DEFINITELY don't like the changes you made to his tail. I LOVE the tail blade. You know, the one in the original Other M model that you were using before the first post on Page 88. I think that DEFINITELY makes him seem more menacing. It LOOKS more powerful, even if it really isn't. I mean, think about it. Imagine getting hit by a sharp point vs. a razor-sharp sword-like ... thing. The sword-like tail SEEMS like it will hurt more in my opinion, and, since Ridley likes inflicting pain, it'd be a little more true to his character. You won't have to change the hit box size, I think. You can probably just put the old tail blade back on. Also, only Other M Ridley has a tail like that, making him more unique. You also seem to suggest that the old tail blade will NOT come back, which is why I'm complaining. I don't know, if you think the tail blade is too big, you may be able to just decrease the size of the tail blade.

I think you said you wanted to change his tail because you wanted to decrease its range. Am I right? Tell me if I'm not. Well, I fell that, considering the sour spot gimmick, that the range he has in 1.95 is good. Having a longer range also increases the sour spot length. If the range is long, you have to think a little more and have a little more precise timing. You're rewarded with big damage and knockback, which I think is appropriate. Decreasing the range decreases the sour spot size, making it a little easier to hit your foe, but the damage and knockback is the same. Do you see what I'm saying?

I feel that if you want to use Other M Ridley, it must be Other M Ridley. Yeah, sure, you can change little stuff like the length of his tail or the size of his wings, but I feel that big changes like your new tail simply degrade the model and character and make it NOT original.

I'm not saying "no" to these changes. I'm just recommending that, when the mod is finished and not being updated anymore, include multiple versions of the models to cater to everyone's different tastes and needs in the download. To be safe, I'd recommend:

Spiked Other M Meta Ridley (Tail Blade) (You're still making Meta Ridley, right?)
Brawl/Classic Ridley
MAYBE Omega Ridley?

This mod is ambitious. I believe you can do anything. I believe you CAN include all of these versions in the download. Please don't give up. I have faith in you. I know you can do it.

I believe this guy has a point because it is admirable that Bagan is continuing to improve the ridley we know and love, bit we should at least be given the chance to try out all other variants.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Brawl/Classic Ridley
MAYBE Omega Ridley?

Don't worry. Old models aren't completly lost. I will bring them back. It won't require much to be done (just make their base thicker to make it look like tail is just shorter rather than being smaller). They just won't be set as default models.
As for range, it was too much even with tipper mechanic. You could stop opponent's approach miles away and it made edgeguarding way too easy. And clipping was really bad.

Kinda. My part of making Meta Ridley is done. Now only rigging is left.
Rise in this mod's popularity has led to a massive increase of Ridley's pictures everywhere.

What if his goal is to make a Ridley based on all appearances rather than limit himself to one model in particular? That would be original.
Yes, this.

DPBOX

Smash Rookie
BaganSmashBros said:
Don't worry. Old models aren't completly lost. I will bring them back.
Oh, what a relief! Thank you very much! I thought the "stuff I like" was going to be Lost Forever.

drewilliam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hollowords
Ridley is so good now. Any further work alone would just be arbitrary personal preference changes. Assembling a team of competitive players to test and give feedback would really help bring this mod to the next level (on par with the rest of the PM cast).

Not sure how much of it was alone or how much team work has gone down, but that would be really exciting to hear news like that.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley is so good now. Any further work alone would just be arbitrary personal preference changes. Assembling a team of competitive players to test and give feedback would really help bring this mod to the next level (on par with the rest of the PM cast).

Not sure how much of it was alone or how much team work has gone down, but that would be really exciting to hear news like that.
He is good, but perhaps he is too good. He needs range nerf, among other things like punishable DAir.
A team of competetive players to test and give feedback on him would really help, but im not sure its possible. So far, only SoulOfSmash helped with that. And @ Warzenschwein Warzenschwein if he isn't just someone who knows game well.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Appealing to the community as a whole might be a good first step. Maybe a couple of good competitive players would be willing to help out if you ask on Reddit or somewhere else on Smashboards.

I heard M2K always wanted Ridley in Smash, maybe he'd be interested if he knew about it, LOL.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Appealing to the community as a whole might be a good first step. Maybe a couple of good competitive players would be willing to help out if you ask on Reddit or somewhere else on Smashboards.

I heard M2K always wanted Ridley in Smash, maybe he'd be interested if he knew about it, LOL.
You want him to ask M2K?? The same M2K that called a character that he lost to because he doesn't know the match up, broken??? Lol yeah he'd be a greeeaaat player to ask for balance advice XD

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh I was right. Neat.
I like it, since his appearance is *never* the game in the games. Its more accurate to do it this way while also keeping in mind the graphics of Brawl so he won't look... Out of place.
He still looks out of place when compared to SM Samus. His overall appearance needs to be simpler to fit. But whatever, looks good in his current state when on his own.

I...i can't really do that...just for personal reasons...kinda shy, ye know? Good idea though.

HAHAHA no. Not a good idea and i heard he doesn't likes PM much after 3.5.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
You want him to ask M2K?? The same M2K that called a character that he lost to because he doesn't know the match up broken??? Lol yeah he'd be a greeeaaat player to ask for balance advice XD
Well, you don't have to take his advice, having M2K play Ridley would be a publicity boost though, muahahaha.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, you don't have to take his advice, having M2K play Ridley would be a publicity boost though, muahahaha.
Or be a pretty bad hit to its reputation if he will get random again. Can't really predict what will happen considering what kind of stuff happened before.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
In other news, I'm working on trying to make the mod compatible with the Addon System, just in case people aren't willing to replace Pit in the game's files. Will have to see how it goes first before making it public, though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
In other news, I'm working on trying to make the mod compatible with the Addon System, just in case people aren't willing to replace Pit in the game's files. Will have to see how it goes first before making it public, though.
It was already done:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208064

Wow. This mod now has 5000+ downloads. Good...good...Also, i have some very important ne-
Shameless advertising time!
Recently, i made a SFX replacement for PM Mewtwo that replaces his SFX and voice with SSB4 SFX and voice. I also plan on making similar mod, but with Melee SFX and SSB4 voice because why not?
Advertising over.

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
It was already done:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208064

Wow. This mod now has 5000+ downloads. Good...good...Also, i have some very important ne-
Shameless advertising time!
Recently, i made a SFX replacement for PM Mewtwo that replaces his SFX and voice with SSB4 SFX and voice. I also plan on making similar mod, but with Melee SFX and SSB4 voice because why not?
Advertising over.
Random Talking Bush. I recognize that username. Spriters' Resource or something like that.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
He still looks out of place when compared to SM Samus. His overall appearance needs to be simpler to fit. But whatever, looks good in his current state when on his own.

I...i can't really do that...just for personal reasons...kinda shy, ye know? Good idea though.

HAHAHA no. Not a good idea and i heard he doesn't likes PM much after 3.5.
I see.

Never took you as the shy type haha.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
You're young, aren't you? That's a big +, people would sure love to help such a young, enthusiastic member of their community out. No need to hold back imo.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I see.

Never took you as the shy type haha.
If i swear a lot and have overall agressive behaviour toward...certain people, it doesn't means im not shy...Or that i actually swear a lot.
You're young, aren't you? That's a big +, people would sure love to help such a young, enthusiastic member of their community out. No need to hold back imo.
Yes, but still can't ask anyone for something like this.

Anyway, i decided to replace his Up and Down Taunts and move Smash Taunt to Up Taunt. I don't think it will change much. I just feel that current Down Taunt doesn't look right most of the time and is just overall pretty stiff and Up Taunt looks weird. I already know what both of them will be.
  • Up Taunt: pretty much Charizard's SSBB taunt, but looks more...er...powerful and he doesn't faces the screen while performing it.
  • Down Taunt: SilentDo0m's idle animation, but he makes a weird sound like one used in Other M when he is hit and he opens his mouth when shaking.
I also want to change Down B into something more useful for Ridley. Remember what i wanted to add before first release, but couldn't do it in time? This, but more like a mix of Mewtwo's hover and ROB's Brawl Up B rather than something that complicated. I will keep ground pound though. Like i kept his flame breath special. Ground version will be just Charizard's that automatically goes into flight unless Ridley has no flight time remaining. But this one has lower priority compared to other changes, so, it most likely won't be done for 2.0.
Oh, and i will bring back his old Side B as glide attack since he lacks one since 1.9. I am absolutely sure about this one since it won't take much to add (i don't delete most of the animations i made that later get removed).

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
but i liked the old down b
I liked it too, but it still is rather useless outside of speciffic situations and its even less useful after recent nerf (he loses it after he gets thrown or hit with a strong attack). But we'll first have to test flight mode before saying that its more useful, so, maybe it will stay.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I was tinkering around with model proportions and got this as a head:
Overbitely.png

I think it looks decent, myself; but it may be a bit too much of an overbite. It looks somewhat like Brawl Ridley, actually. I'll have to test it in-game, first.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
I like his Down B too much. One thing that could buff it without it being OP would be a grounding effect on whoever is unlucky enough to be under, or a shockwave that spreads (not to far) around him similar to what happens when he does it in Metroid Prime and Other M (I like that one better). I make heavy use of Down B. When my air game is too long and I want to do damage AND ground myself I use that.

Dear Christ I despise all glides lol. They kill me more then save me. My seven player group view them in a word as "random" for characters that use them. His Side B is cool as it is.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I like his Down B too much. One thing that could buff it without it being OP would be a grounding effect on whoever is unlucky enough to be under, or a shockwave that spreads (not to far) around him similar to what happens when he does it in Metroid Prime and Other M (I like that one better). I make heavy use of Down B. When my air game is too long and I want to do damage AND ground myself I use that.

Dear Christ I despise all glides lol. They kill me more then save me. My seven player group view them in a word as "random" for characters that use them. His Side B is cool as it is.
Aerial Down B is not going anywhere. Burrying opponent will look kinda goofy though, so, a shockwave is a better idea. It kinda is like this already, but it just comes out all at once instead of spreading. All changes that will be done is just animation update so his wings move smoothly like they do in SSB4 when he performs similar attack instead of just abruptly (is that the right word and is it spelled/written correctly?) folding and probably trajectory change to make it different from Bowser's Down B and Ridley's DAir (which can go through enemies and usually launches them up since 1.9, so, there is nearly no difference in those two outside of damage and knockback unless DAir hits at first few frames because then its a meteor smash/spike).

His Side B won't change from command grab. I'll just add old Side B as his glide attack, but weaker since glide attacks must deal 12% damage.

...if thats what you're talking about.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I'm all for the democratic approach to changes, but I personally want the Down-B replaced. I don't think it looks that great aesthetically and I get basically no use out of it now.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
...I honestly forgot about grounded down b. My apologies.
Don't change aerial down B too much k?
I also forgot about the talk of the command grab. Sorry...
I don't follow on what you are changing in that aspect.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...I honestly forgot about grounded down b. My apologies.
Don't aerial down B much k?
I also forgot about the talk of the command grab. Sorry...
I don't follow on what you are changing in that aspect.
What?

Im adding command grab. Thats what changes about it. I will probably remove ability to turn around upon grabbing opponent (it wasn't what i wanted to do or even though could be possible, it just is possible) after i will find out how to, but thats after 2.0. Old Side B returns only as a glide attack. Thats it.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
What?

Im adding command grab. Thats what changes about it. I will probably remove ability to turn around upon grabbing opponent (it wasn't what i wanted to do or even though could be possible, it just is possible) after i will find out how to, but thats after 2.0. Old Side B returns only as a glide attack. Thats it.
Fixed. This site is awful with mobile users. Destroys my text...
Oh now understand! Secondary side B. Gotcha. Sounds gorgeous!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Fixed. This site is awful with mobile users. Destroys my text...
Oh now understand! Secondary side B. Gotcha. Sounds gorgeous!
Well, i will change it. I want to make it meteor smash (when he goes down) instead of launching up since its redundant when he has DAir that at least can be L-Cancelled while still behaving like aerial Down B if A button is held, just weaker. I will set knockback on it as set knockback to make sure Ridley goes down with same speed as his unlucky opponent so he will also hit him on the ground. Kinda like Ike's Up B.

No. Its a glide attack. In place of the old redundant overhead claw swipe that i removed for v1.9. Side B will have no alts. Just a command grab.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Well, i will change it. I want to make it meteor smash (when he goes down) instead of launching up since its redundant when he has DAir that at least can be L-Cancelled while still behaving like aerial Down B if A button is held, just weaker. I will set knockback on it as set knockback to make sure Ridley goes down with same speed as his unlucky opponent so he will also hit him on the ground. Kinda like Ike's Up B.
Aether eh? I want to test him so badly. Will his new command grab will act similar in nature to Ganondorf's when in the air (as in taking you opponent to the abyss with you when there's no ground to pound them into in a kamikaze action)?

Top Bottom