• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

OmegaBazil

Smash Rookie
Oh. Well, that was fixed then...i guess...

Now it has its arrowhead look again. And its not so ridicolously large. I will buff his sourspots to balance out its major hitbox size decrease. Its not symmetric, but thats because its...its just better that way considering how he holds his tail during most of animations.
Also, pose above is used for Back Roll now. Im using SilentDo0m's animation as a base for it (and no, i still don't have them, i just made it from scratch while using his animation as a reference). I will do same thing with his DTilt and dash animation (but not running animation). And FTilt if 3rd week of Ridley animations' results will be posted because as far as i know, it was done during that week.
looks like to me the length in the tail is the same i cant see it in that angle. http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/304/c/2/ridley_i_choose_you_by_binarystarvv93-d31wmfs.jpg
look at the tail base as it gos to the tail tip, THATs what i ment.

also ridley is a dragon not a biped so he dont have back problems its the players perspective that he has em.

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
That looks like a good range to me. What I feel is most important now is getting the flow of his moves to feel more natural. Despite him having a lot of options, he usually feels pretty strange when using him.
How so?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That looks like a good range to me. What I feel is most important now is getting the flow of his moves to feel more natural. Despite him having a lot of options, he usually feels pretty strange when using him.
Im not sure i can fix that. He feels just fine to me. But thats because i like slower characters like Bowser, Ganondorf and DK rather than fast characters like Marth, Captain Falcon and Fox. I've got used to such sluggish characters. And on your profile it says you main Sonic and Captain Falcon and those are fast characters.
Overall, that all depends on the player's preferences. Those like me will quickly get used to him while those who are used to beig able to quickly reach opponent and attack will have harder time getting used to Ridley.
looks like to me the length in the tail is the same i cant see it in that angle. http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/304/c/2/ridley_i_choose_you_by_binarystarvv93-d31wmfs.jpg
look at the tail base as it gos to the tail tip, THATs what i ment.

also ridley is a dragon not a biped so he dont have back problems its the players perspective that he has em.
Oh, that. Well, i'll keep it the way it is now because reasons.

I didn't meant actual back problems, but he certainly doesn't stands upright and he isn't a dragon either (just an alien that looks like something between a Xenomorph, a dragon and a pterosaur).

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Oh. Well, that was fixed then...i guess...

Now it has its arrowhead look again. And its not so ridicolously large. I will buff his sourspots to balance out its major hitbox size decrease. Its not symmetric, but thats because its...its just better that way considering how he holds his tail during most of animations.
Also, pose above is used for Back Roll now. Im using SilentDo0m's animation as a base for it (and no, i still don't have them, i just made it from scratch while using his animation as a reference). I will do same thing with his DTilt and dash animation (but not running animation). And FTilt if 3rd week of Ridley animations' results will be posted because as far as i know, it was done during that week.
Ah dat nice looking Supermetroidley looking tail. :laugh:

That looks much better now.

I don't really expect anyone to appear, so, i don't feel like this.
What exactly?

So, i updated all animations to have this shorter length. This is the new range comparison now:

Dedede has higher max range, but Ridley has higher minimal range. At least difference isn't as high as it was before.
That's pretty cool, will you be changing speed of any of the attacks?

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Yeah, I do tend to play faster characters, but I play a lot of Ganon and Mewtwo as well. It's not really a matter of his speed, it's more that some of his moves don't feel timed correctly or have hitbox issues.

Examples of already good moves: Nair, Side-B, Bair, D-tilt, throws

Examples of moves that need adjustment: Side-smash, U-tilt, Fair, U-air

I'm fine with him being slow (and actually encourage it) but some things need a little work to me.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Alright then, Can you do a side by side comparison of his old tail length?
Sure.

Red parts belong to old version. Purple is current version.
Yeah, I do tend to play faster characters, but I play a lot of Ganon and Mewtwo as well. It's not really a matter of his speed, it's more that some of his moves don't feel timed correctly or have hitbox issues.

Examples of already good moves: Nair, Side-B, Bair, D-tilt, throws

Examples of moves that need adjustment: Side-smash, U-tilt, Fair, U-air

I'm fine with him being slow (and actually encourage it) but some things need a little work to me.
Not sure what exactly is wrong with those. UAir is good enough especially when followed up with a well-timed Up B near the top of the screen after no jumps are left to continue juggling, FSmash is great for edgeguarding and punishing slow attacks, FAir is...yeah, not that great and UTilt will certainly be useful in next version...or not. Good for juggling anyway.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Not sure what exactly is wrong with those. UAir is good enough especially when followed up with a well-timed Up B near the top of the screen after no jumps are left to continue juggling, FSmash is great for edgeguarding and punishing slow attacks, FAir is...yeah, not that great and UTilt will certainly be useful in next version...or not. Good for juggling anyway.
I think UAir would be perfect if its sweet-spot were just a little more natural. It's definitely good for juggling but I don't feel the hits are as potent as they should be. As for F-smash, I just think it's unreasonably slow (even for a slow character) and its spacing is really difficult to use well. Something more like Bowser's would be better IMO. At least we see eye-to-eye on the other two!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So would if this Ridley does get into Project M...will he have a different model?
Most likely. Probably Brawl model with several noticable changes.
I think UAir would be perfect if its sweet-spot were just a little more natural. It's definitely good for juggling but I don't feel the hits are as potent as they should be. As for F-smash, I just think it's unreasonably slow (even for a slow character) and its spacing is really difficult to use well. Something more like Bowser's would be better IMO. At least we see eye-to-eye on the other two!
It has no sweetspots or sourspots. Maybe that needs to be fixed on other attacks like this. Not that it will fix anything, but will be better aesthetically.
I wouldn't say so. Its range is very high for attack with that much power (at least Dedede's FTilt, the only attack with range even lose to Ridley's FSmash, can't KO), so, its better that way.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Most likely. Probably Brawl model with several noticable changes.

It has no sweetspots or sourspots. Maybe that needs to be fixed on other attacks like this. Not that it will fix anything, but will be better aesthetically.
I wouldn't say so. Its range is very high for attack with that much power (at least Dedede's FTilt, the only attack with range even lose to Ridley's FSmash, can't KO), so, its better that way.
Yeah, I think it could benefit from a sweetspot. It needs a little more force behind it IMO.

I'm not saying it should keep the range and get the power of Bowser's F-smash. I was more thinking that since its range seems so difficult to use, you might as well bring it closer to Ridley (perhaps through a different animation) and then increase the power to compensate.

Wolley2xjd

Sure.

Red parts belong to old version. Purple is current version.

I would make his tail just a bit more longer but it still looks reasonable. :)

So how's the progress of the Classic Ridley Model, I noticed that there's some shine still on it so I want to know if you're going to anything about that, Also what ever happened to the Pirate Alt that was being made?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think it could benefit from a sweetspot. It needs a little more force behind it IMO.

I'm not saying it should keep the range and get the power of Bowser's F-smash. I was more thinking that since its range seems so difficult to use, you might as well bring it closer to Ridley (perhaps through a different animation) and then increase the power to compensate.
Im just afraid it will get too strong for something that fast.

Not sure how to do that though. There is nothing Ridley can do with his tail without it still having too much range and without having to be slowed down.
I would make his tail just a bit more longer but it still looks reasonable. :)

So how's the progress of the Classic Ridley Model, I noticed that there's some shine still on it so I want to know if you're going to anything about that, Also what ever happened to the Pirate Alt that was being made?
Nothing was done about it since last update.
I don't know what happened to it. Maybe its still worked on, maybe it was dropped, maybe the guy doing it is just focusing on something else.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Im just afraid it will get too strong for something that fast.

Not sure how to do that though. There is nothing Ridley can do with his tail without it still having too much range and without having to be slowed down.
Maybe just give it a bit more knockback, even if the damage stays the same. I'm no expert, of course.

He's got a decent amount of tail moves already, though, so I think you could mix it up if you wanted. How about a fierce slash at the opponent or something like that? It would have to be more aggressive than his jab, of course, but I think it could be done.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Maybe just give it a bit more knockback, even if the damage stays the same. I'm no expert, of course.

He's got a decent amount of tail moves already, though, so I think you could mix it up if you wanted. How about a fierce slash at the opponent or something like that? It would have to be more aggressive than his jab, of course, but I think it could be done.
That could work i guess.

Wouldn't make much sense for it to have much more knockback than other claw swipes and can't really make it look any more agressive than his jab's 1st and 3rd hit and his FAir.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Wouldn't make much sense for it to have much more knockback than other claw swipes and can't really make it look any more agressive than his jab's 1st and 3rd hit and his FAir.
Yeah, it would definitely be tough. What if you could have him charge up a blast of fire that he could spray horizontally in front of him like he does in Other M? It could be like Charizard's Heat Wave except with a charge, probably different stats and the fire going from left to right instead of just straight out.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, it would definitely be tough. What if you could have him charge up a blast of fire that he could spray horizontally in front of him like he does in Other M? It could be like Charizard's Heat Wave except with a charge, probably different stats and the fire going from left to right instead of just straight out.
He does that for his Neutral B though. And i won't change that one because his fireballs still don't work and there is nothing better to set as Neutral B.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
He does that for his Neutral B though. And i won't change that one because his fireballs still don't work and there is nothing better to set as Neutral B.
Oh, right. I'm still using the fireballs so I forgot. Well, if I think of anything else I'll let you know. Eventually I'd like to see it replaced with something more pragmatic.

Wolley2xjd

BTW When are going to change his Idle animation?

His current one looks kinda boring and the way he swings his tail is kinda...off putting, Can make something like What Silentdo0m made, also what happened to the "Meta Ridley" alt is that still a thing?

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Meeeeh... the tail really looks too short this time around... I would've really rather had an animation overhaul where he stabs sidewards and a more horizontal swinging for the idle animation instead of shortening it... on the other hand I haven't tested it in-game so it might look okay.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Meeeeh... the tail really looks too short this time around... I would've really rather had an animation overhaul where he stabs sidewards and a more horizontal swinging for the idle animation instead of shortening it... on the other hand I haven't tested it in-game so it might look okay.
Its around Brawl Ridley's tail length...and horizontal swinging won't work well with everything aroud him.
BTW When are going to change his Idle animation?

His current one looks kinda boring and the way he swings his tail is kinda...off putting, Can make something like What Silentdo0m made, also what happened to the "Meta Ridley" alt is that still a thing?
When i will get his animation. Until then, gotta go with the boring one.
...don't know. I posted everything for it a while ago.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
I think the shorter tail is a good thing. Not only for balance though. One of the big arguments against Ridley is the proportions of his head, wings and tail. The main point of this mod is to make Ridley a playable character without him being awkward and not like Ridley. Ridley already got the smaller wings and head but with the smaller tail all of Ridley's proportion arguments get debunked. This mod also keeps Ridley's viciousness and somewhat keeps his size. It's the ultimate mod that can prove that Ridley can be a playable character in Smash Bros.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
I don't really expect anyone to appear, so, i don't feel like this.
What exactly?

So, i updated all animations to have this shorter length. This is the new range comparison now:

Dedede has higher max range, but Ridley has higher minimal range. At least difference isn't as high as it was before.
Minor things really. If it makes sense, and if possible, could you widen them a bit more, then make them a very small amount longer. I may have a picture hold on... The colour was already addressed I assume? I believe it was the type of file they were that prevented you right? Either way... Yeah just widen them a bit really.
Aside form that, very gorgeous.
Most impressive. You are on a roll.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Minor things really. If it makes sense, and if possible, could you widen them a bit more, then make them a very small amount longer. I may have a picture hold on... The colour was already addressed I assume? I believe it was the type of file they were that prevented you right? Either way... Yeah just widen them a bit really.
Aside form that, very gorgeous.
Most impressive. You are on a roll.
Color wasn't addressed yet and all spikes use different textures, so...
And thanks.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Color wasn't addressed yet and all spikes use different textures, so...
And thanks.
Then again it looks good. I'm just curious how the horns would look like as the same colour as his skin and widened.
I honestly can't wait to use him (I mean take you time lol, I'll wit patiently). Pogo tail will be punishable right?

Wolley2xjd

Then again it looks good. I'm just curious how the horns would look like as the same colour as his skin and widened.
I honestly can't wait to use him (I mean take you time lol, I'll wit patiently). Pogo tail will be punishable right?

0:35.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I was planning on changing their color anyway. So, will be done.
Yes, as it was said i the April Fools trailer.

Wolley2xjd

OK Can we please see some attack animations with his tail because I need to see how it looks for myself.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
OK Can we please see some attack animations with his tail because I need to see how it looks for myself.
Its gonna take a while to upload though...but i guarantee that it doesn't looks any weirder than Mewtwo going from 3.0 to 3.5.

I decided to separate his DTilt into 2 attacks like what PMDT did with Bowser's DTilt. First attack is a claw swipe and second attack is a claw uppercut.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
I was planning on changing their color anyway. So, will be done.
Yes, as it was said i the April Fools trailer.
I have a bad memory was all haha.
As for the widening? Uh... I hate to overuse this model, but look at Meta Ridley or brawl Ridley to see what I meant.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have a bad memory was all haha.
As for the widening? Uh... I hate to overuse this model, but look at Meta Ridley or brawl Ridley to see what I meant.
I don't think i said that before, so, whatever.
I know.

I think next version will be available this week. I have a lot of stuff finished at this point like new DTilt (both attacks), new back roll, new dodge/sidestep, animations are updated to have new tail length, etc. But i have things to fix like Ridley never using Assist Trophy and instead just holding it while still being able to pick up other items and being unable to drop or throw AT he holds.

Last edited:

drewilliam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hollowords
I love your work. I hope the PMBR approaches you to make this official and continue balancing it for a Project M 4.0 release!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I want to ask something yet again - how close did i came to SD's animations of those actions:
Dash (don't worry - he still runs on all fours, but he dashes like this because it looks better than that awkward leap):

Sidestep/spot dodge (IMO, SD's version is a lot better):

Back roll:

DTilt (1st attack):

DTilt (2nd attack):

Also, i made Ridley lean back a lot more when charging up FSmash:

This is when its fully charged. I also updated run brake animation, but isn't very exciting to look at.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I think you did an excellent job. That's probably as good as you'll be able to do without being SilentDoom yourself. Only thing I'd critique is that Ridley's left arm looks a little stiff on the second D-tilt animation.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Jesus Christ it's looking so good in so short time, I haven't been this excited looking at something since I first discovered this mod.
Backroll reminds me slightly of how Samus sidesteps now in project M, was that intentional?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Jesus Christ it's looking so good in so short time, I haven't been this excited looking at something since I first discovered this mod.
Backroll reminds me slightly of how Samus sidesteps now in project M, was that intentional?
Thanks.
No. Maybe. Ask SD for that. Before, it was Other M Ridley's...er...back roll, but now its just this.
I think you did an excellent job. That's probably as good as you'll be able to do without being SilentDoom yourself. Only thing I'd critique is that Ridley's left arm looks a little stiff on the second D-tilt animation.
Thanks and yes, it does looks a little bit stiff after he swings it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom