• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Onyx Leo

Smash Cadet
Excellent work on the Meta model! Can't wait for it to be rigged and usable.

And if I'm understanding you correctly, the new fireball you're working on only fires diagonally, even on the ground? Sort of like a close-range explosion? That's actually a really neat idea. I'm eager to see it in practice!

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
It too bad the fireballs had to go for now. But anything that gets the next update closer is good news to me. I really can't wait for that twisted command grab.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Excellent work on the Meta model! Can't wait for it to be rigged and usable.

And if I'm understanding you correctly, the new fireball you're working on only fires diagonally, even on the ground? Sort of like a close-range explosion? That's actually a really neat idea. I'm eager to see it in practice!
Kinda. It will usually be aimed that low (as it is previous versions), but he will aim higher as it gets stronger since stream of fire will increase in size and lenth.
It too bad the fireballs had to go for now. But anything that gets the next update closer is good news to me. I really can't wait for that twisted command grab.
Yeah, it is. Welp, at least i won't have to worry about him being able to gimp too easily for now.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Here it is! He is ready to be rigged: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzuyx6qvdkehfv0/MetaRidley ready to be rigged.pac?dl=0 I can safely upload the file for everyone since, well, if you will try to use him for anything ranging from simple posing to animations, you will find out that none of this stuff is actually attached to him.
Here are previews:
Textures were untouched outside of skin textures. Removed wings for 2nd image to give you a clear view of his back. Yeah, MP1 Meta Ridley was used the most...But many like it more than others. For those who is bothered by his shins clipping through the shin armor - they should be completly removed because, well, its not really armor and more like cybernetic replacement or something.
Note: this is no longer a very simple work. It was such back when he wasn't covered that much and his tail was going to be retextured to look like its a metal replacement, but it looks a lot better this way. At its current state, this model requires a lot of optimizing, removal of unused verticles, rigging tail and wings properly and a lot of time time. Those who will attempt to rig this are free to change few things as long as its not very noticable (like completly replacing his helmet).
Note 2: all of polygons are labeled for your convenience, so, there is no need for testing what is what. Well, there are few polygons that are left unnamed, but thats because i don't know what are they supposed to be.
OH MY SWEET BABIES THAT'S THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I HAVE EVER SEEN.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Bagan, i have an idea for your PSA mod.

remember how you can play as Giga Bowser and SoPo/SoNa by holding the R button during character and stage selection?

now imagine if you can play as the canon-size cloned Ridley, with the original textures on, by doing the exact same thing?

also, condolences on the Up+B and fireballs.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Bagan, i have an idea for your PSA mod.

remember how you can play as Giga Bowser and SoPo/SoNa by holding the R button during character and stage selection?

now imagine if you can play as the canon-size cloned Ridley, with the original textures on, by doing the exact same thing?

also, condolences on the Up+B and fireballs.
As far as i know. its not possible. Correct me if im wrong, but wasn't what they did is possible only because of the way those characters were made (for example, Giga Bowser is his own character that temporarily replaces Bowser during his Final Smash, just like Wario Man, and i think each Ice Climber is counted as a separate character)? And even then, i don't know enough coding mumbo jumbo on RSBE01.gct file.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
As far as i know. its not possible. Correct me if im wrong, but wasn't what they did is possible only because of the way those characters were made (for example, Giga Bowser is his own character that temporarily replaces Bowser during his Final Smash, just like Wario Man, and i think each Ice Climber is counted as a separate character)? And even then, i don't know enough coding mumbo jumbo on RSBE01.gct file.
that's basically it.

but what i meant is that the effect of the secret function will make Ridley consistently big again and use his original color alt (i presume the very last one? the original Other M skin) for the whole fight.

i know Special Brawl and grabbing a Mega Mushroom exists but you know:
-the Mega Mushroom's effects won't last very long
-Special Smash's Giant Status Mode will make everybody big
-being exclusive to a certain mode in PM

and this doesn't involve replacing/take up another character slot in the PM mod. just a optional "permanent status effect" for certain kinds of Metroid fans to enjoy. (think of Giant 64 DK)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
that's basically it.

but what i meant is that the effect of the secret function will make Ridley consistently big again and use his original color alt (i presume the very last one? the original Other M skin) for the whole fight.

i know Special Brawl and grabbing a Mega Mushroom exists but you know:
-the Mega Mushroom's effects won't last very long
-Special Smash's Giant Status Mode will make everybody big
-being exclusive to a certain mode in PM

and this doesn't involve replacing/take up another character slot in the PM mod. just a optional "permanent status effect" for certain kinds of Metroid fans to enjoy. (think of Giant 64 DK)
I'll say it again - i am not sure this is even possible and i don't know anything about codes for RSBE01.gct outside of those that were already discovered. So, even if it can be done, i don't know how to. And Giant DK was his own character in 64. Same goes for Metal Mario and even Master Hand.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
And Giant DK was his own character in 64. Same goes for Metal Mario and even Master Hand.
really? shoot, hoping it was a something else.

hopefully you'll find a way to understand it and make it somehow work, Bagan. Keep it up, you're doing Ridley's work here!

DPBOX

Smash Rookie
Although this is the first time I've posted in this thread, I've been following it since there were only 10 pages in it. Yeah, I played with this mod. IT'S FREAKING AMAZING!! I've played with a lot of mods from Brawl Vault, and this is the best, most professionally made mod I've ever seen!

I'm not a competitive player. I'm purely casual, so I can't really dig deep into Ridley's move set and critique it because I really don't care and/or understand. I just play, and that's it. I don't really notice any issues with Ridley, but that's probably because I don't pay attention and/or care. You can do whatever you want. I don't have any suggestions at the moment. I don't understand a lot of this competitive jargon, such as "landing lag" and "startup". Everything just looks the same to me. I just fight. I only look at and care about basic stuff like the damage an attack does and sometimes the knockback.

Though there's one thing I do want to know. See, what I want to do is, in order to increase awareness of this mod and get people to vote for Ridley in the Super Smash Bros. 4 ballot. I want to use Brawl Box to take a picture of a frame of Ridley's Up Taunt animation and put the picture into my layout on a forum. So I open the model and animations in Brawl Box and go to the "Appeal" section of the animations. But the Up Taunt Animation, "AppealHi" isn't there. At least it's not with the other taunt animations. There's "AppealS", Side Taunt, and "AppealLw", Down Taunt, but no "AppealHi", Up Taunt.

So all I want to ask is, which animation is used for the Up Taunt? That's all I want to know. Thank you!

(By the way, I was looking at Version 1.90's files. I'm waiting patiently for 2.0. That's why I didn't download 1.95.)

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Not really the place to ask, but since I cant find any guides

How do you change what frames a move comes out on, and the endlag on moves? :/

I really cant find anything anywhere on this and I'd really appreciate the help

edit: I derped, meant to say for special attacks. Most of the time when I try and edit them no change happens

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Although this is the first time I've posted in this thread, I've been following it since there were only 10 pages in it. Yeah, I played with this mod. IT'S FREAKING AMAZING!! I've played with a lot of mods from Brawl Vault, and this is the best, most professionally made mod I've ever seen!

I'm not a competitive player. I'm purely casual, so I can't really dig deep into Ridley's move set and critique it because I really don't care and/or understand. I just play, and that's it. I don't really notice any issues with Ridley, but that's probably because I don't pay attention and/or care. You can do whatever you want. I don't have any suggestions at the moment. I don't understand a lot of this competitive jargon, such as "landing lag" and "startup". Everything just looks the same to me. I just fight. I only look at and care about basic stuff like the damage an attack does and sometimes the knockback.

Though there's one thing I do want to know. See, what I want to do is, in order to increase awareness of this mod and get people to vote for Ridley in the Super Smash Bros. 4 ballot. I want to use Brawl Box to take a picture of a frame of Ridley's Up Taunt animation and put the picture into my layout on a forum. So I open the model and animations in Brawl Box and go to the "Appeal" section of the animations. But the Up Taunt Animation, "AppealHi" isn't there. At least it's not with the other taunt animations. There's "AppealS", Side Taunt, and "AppealLw", Down Taunt, but no "AppealHi", Up Taunt.

So all I want to ask is, which animation is used for the Up Taunt? That's all I want to know. Thank you!

(By the way, I was looking at Version 1.90's files. I'm waiting patiently for 2.0. That's why I didn't download 1.95.)
Well, thanks.
Its "ItemBig". I will make a separate animation later since i now know that animation file size wasn't the issue.
1.95 has a very important Up B fix (he now regains it if he is hit while or after performing it), so, you should probably download it.
Not really the place to ask, but since I cant find any guides

How do you change what frames a move comes out on, and the endlag on moves? :/

I really cant find anything anywhere on this and I'd really appreciate the help

edit: I derped, meant to say for special attacks. Most of the time when I try and edit them no change happens
Not sure this is the right place. It all depends on animation and when hitboxes appear and disappear. If you want longer end lag, make animation longer at the end after hitboxes disappear. If you want to make it come out faster, decrease amount of frames before hitbox appears.

I'll take a break for a while after some...things happening. And i should probably start saying "thanks" to posts like one above. Or just leave it for the last update.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
So recently I reverted all of the stages back to their original brawl versions (since I like them more). I was standing on the bulborb and spitting fireballs at the CPUs when suddenly Ridley froze when the bulborb started to leave. I think you mentioned that this glitch would be fixed in 2.0, is that correct?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So I've decided to try and work out a calculation set for Ridley's moves just for the heck of it;
Jab - 4%
Jab (x2) - 9%
Jab (x3) - 15%
Crouch Attack/D-Tilt - 12%
S-Tilt - 5%-12% (depending on distance - the farther the opponnent is, the more damage they take)
U-Tilt - 6%-11% (again, depending on distance from opponent)
D-Smash (Uncharged) - 5%
D-Smash (Charged) - 6%
S-Smash (Uncharged) - 16%
S-Smash (Charged) - 23%
U-Smash (Uncharged) - 13%
U-Smash (Charged) - 17%
Neutral Special - 11%
Side Special - 7%-13%
Down Special (Ground) - 0% (does no damage)
Down Special (Air) - 4%-21%
Up Special - 18%

Neutral Aerial -10%
Forward Aerial - 12%
Back Aerial - 15%
Down Aerial - 14%

Final Smash - 58%

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So recently I reverted all of the stages back to their original brawl versions (since I like them more). I was standing on the bulborb and spitting fireballs at the CPUs when suddenly Ridley froze when the bulborb started to leave. I think you mentioned that this glitch would be fixed in 2.0, is that correct?
Yes. I know what causes this glitch to happen and how to fix it, so, it won't take too much time.
So I've decided to try and work out a calculation set for Ridley's moves just for the heck of it;
Jab - 4%
Jab (x2) - 9%
Jab (x3) - 15%
Crouch Attack/D-Tilt - 12%
S-Tilt - 5%-12% (depending on distance - the farther the opponnent is, the more damage they take)
U-Tilt - 6%-11% (again, depending on distance from opponent)
D-Smash (Uncharged) - 5%
D-Smash (Charged) - 6%
S-Smash (Uncharged) - 16%
S-Smash (Charged) - 23%
U-Smash (Uncharged) - 13%
U-Smash (Charged) - 17%
Neutral Special - 11%
Side Special - 7%-13%
Down Special (Ground) - 0% (does no damage)
Down Special (Air) - 4%-21%
Up Special - 18%

Neutral Aerial -10%
Forward Aerial - 12%
Back Aerial - 15%
Down Aerial - 14%

Final Smash - 58%
They are correct, but you forgot that DSmash has same kind of tipper mechanic as other tail attacks, so, its not always 5-6%.
Any Release date planned? @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

Any Updates
None.

Ok, im not going to be here for too long. Just wanted to tell about something before my internet connection will expire again:
Recently, i was thinking about Nanobuds' words about my Other M Ridley model (that it doesn't fits Brawl) and then thought of old version of the mod. I wanted to retry it, but remembered what caused it to be cancelled. Animation file size went over the limit before it could be finished. The main reason why is because his wings have too much bones. And then it struck me - what if i would use someone else's wings? Since i can't rig, i have to use already rigged model's wings. Meta Knight's wings are as detailed as Brawl Ridley's original wings, so, its pointless to use them. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Meta Knight's wings are too small (because his model is ridicolously small compared to Brawl models). Meta Ridley's wings aren't that much better and they don't fit. Charizard's wings can't be detached from his...everything. The best choice left is Other M Ridley's wings. They have only 5 bones in each wing while still looking good when handled properly. The only problem with that is...well, if you didnt' know, those wings share their texture with his head and tail, so, it is somewhat of a waste of space. Fortunately, its not an issue since Brawl Ridley's model has low file size (around 600kb). I would like his wings to be completly removed to avoid just wasting space, but i can work even with them present (just set to 0% size), so, that can wait. Main issue will be model's size (its too large) and references for the new animations. And about animations - since Brawl and Other M models of Ridley are very different, they obviously can't share animations anyhow. Range will also be lower, so, i will have to make sure there is something that makes up for this loss. I'll try to start working on this new version today, with Maya used for animations instead of BrawlBox because this model has more bones on its feet and i don't want to spend hours trying to fix any noticable sliding. I won't forget about Other M version of course. It will just be of lower priority until im done with Brawl version.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
The Brawl Ridley with Other M proportions that you showed on this thread a while ago was really sick. If only you could make it work, that might be the best of both worlds. And if you can't... go find someone able to do it :p

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
They are correct, but you forgot that DSmash has same kind of tipper mechanic as other tail attacks, so, its not always 5-6%.
Alright, I'll have to check the damage percents once I get back home; currently at school and lacking acess to the Wii.
Good to know it's mostly accurate , though.

EDIT:
The Brawl Ridley with Other M proportions that you showed on this thread a while ago was really sick. If only you could make it work, that might be the best of both worlds. And if you can't... go find someone able to do it :p
KingJigglypuff's Raptor PSA has more bones than Brawl Ridley, so it's probably not bones entirely. Mostly it's a matter of textures, since Brawl Ridley and Other M Ridley have their wing textures in different places, and they have different bones; which means that a simple port of the Brawl model over the default animations would look horribly stretched. So it's a combination of factors, mostly.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, thats a different thing that would still be nice to see.
KingJigglypuff's Raptor PSA has more bones than Brawl Ridley, so it's probably not bones entirely. Mostly it's a matter of textures, since Brawl Ridley and Other M Ridley have their wing textures in different places, and they have different bones; which means that a simple port of the Brawl model over the default animations would look horribly stretched. So it's a combination of factors, mostly.
114>69.
Brawl Ridley has a lot more bones. And that model would obviously never work with default animations not only because it would look like all of its parts are too short, but also because Other M Ridley model has his bones set up in such way he does not fits Brawl animations, so, Brawl model won't fit his animations. So, it has to be rigged over Other M model.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

Wait, so. If Nanobuds stated that Other M Ridley's model doesn't fit Brawl, that doesn't mean Brawl Ridley is the only option, right? I got a bit confused from where you stated "Brawl Ridley has a lot more bones. And that model would obviously never work with default animations not only because it would look like all of its parts are too short, but also because Other M Ridley model has his bones set up in such way he does not fits Brawl animations, so, Brawl model won't fit his animations. So, it has to be rigged over Other M model." I hope that indicates you actually can use Other M Ridley's model along with his move set. I can't stand Brawl Ridley.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

Wait, so. If Nanobuds stated that Other M Ridley's model doesn't fit Brawl, that doesn't mean Brawl Ridley is the only option, right? I got a bit confused from where you stated "Brawl Ridley has a lot more bones. And that model would obviously never work with default animations not only because it would look like all of its parts are too short, but also because Other M Ridley model has his bones set up in such way he does not fits Brawl animations, so, Brawl model won't fit his animations. So, it has to be rigged over Other M model." I hope that indicates you actually can use Other M Ridley's model along with his move set. I can't stand Brawl Ridley.
Im not going to abandon Other M version. I like it more. Nanobuds is right, though. Both in terms of design and model itself, Other M Ridley doesn't fits Brawl well. His design clashes with Samus' design while his model obviously wasn't made with Brawl in mind, resulting in stuff like his right half going haywire when thrown and his feet being incompatible with Slope Countour Stand codes.
I can't use Brawl Ridley model with animations made for Other M model and vise versa.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Hm. A design crossover between SM x Metroid Prime x Other M would be cool. If a skilled modeler with the ability to rig the model were able to do this... but hell, that's too much to ask for. I think the spikeless Other M model fits the rest of the game pretty well though. With spikes he looks a little bit too complex. Like one of these overdesigned newer Pokémon. #nogenwunner

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Im not going to abandon Other M version. I like it more. Nanobuds is right, though. Both in terms of design and model itself, Other M Ridley doesn't fits Brawl well. His design clashes with Samus' design while his model obviously wasn't made with Brawl in mind, resulting in stuff like his right half going haywire when thrown and his feet being incompatible with Slope Countour Stand codes.
I can't use Brawl Ridley model with animations made for Other M model and vise versa.
I pray we're saved in the end.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hm. A design crossover between SM x Metroid Prime x Other M would be cool. If a skilled modeler with the ability to rig the model were able to do this... but hell, that's too much to ask for. I think the spikeless Other M model fits the rest of the game pretty well though. With spikes he looks a little bit too complex. Like one of these overdesigned newer Pokémon. #nogenwunner
SM and MP Ridley designs are pretty much same thing. Brawl Ridley looks a lot like SM Ridley while still looking like Brawl Meta Ridley without all of those cybernetic things even though that model is same as one from MP1 with minor changes. Still would be nice to see a properly done hybrid of those designs.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
So what's the situation with this mod? Can I use it without replacing a character on the CSS?

And Bagan, have you ever tried making Brawl Ridley HD?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So what's the situation with this mod? Can I use it without replacing a character on the CSS?

And Bagan, have you ever tried making Brawl Ridley HD?
No, you can't use it without replacing someone. BrawlEx port exists, but it uses Pit's sounds and GFX for now.

No. I can't do anything about models outside of just moving around verticles.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Man, this mod is hugely greatly awesome :o Hope it can get a place in an official Project M release! Thanks for your work, Bagan!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Man, this mod is hugely greatly awesome :o Hope it can get a place in an official Project M release! Thanks for your work, Bagan!
Thanks. I doubt it will get a place unless SilentDo0m will revamp every animation outside of those that i imported from Other M Ridley's animations.

Just want to show you something before my internet connection will be cut off:

Ignore obvious difference in skin color of his wings and...everything else. Changes done to the model outside of wings are:
  • Removed collision bones that are not used by playable characters in such way.
  • Decreased neck and head size by 15%.
  • Replaced wings.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Thanks. I doubt it will get a place unless SilentDo0m will revamp every animation outside of those that i imported from Other M Ridley's animations.

Ignore obvious difference in skin color of his wings and...everything else. Changes done to the model outside of wings are:
  • Replaced wings.
My only gripe on this model is the neck. If at all possible, make it a bit thicker.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
But... we need Ridley in Project M :mad088:

• Replaced wings.
Man it's beautiful...

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
From what I've heard, they're still debating the idea of putting Ridley in, so there's still a chance. Besides that, they won't have to worry about overriding Pit since, well, they have the Clone Engine. And it'd be another hype addition, so there's that.

So maybe Ridley might get into 3.6, actually.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman

• Replaced wings.
This is really cool! I can't wait to see this finished! I do agree that the neck seems a little thin.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
From what I've heard, they're still debating the idea of putting Ridley in, so there's still a chance. Besides that, they won't have to worry about overriding Pit since, well, they have the Clone Engine. And it'd be another hype addition, so there's that.

So maybe Ridley might get into 3.6, actually.
lol, you can hope.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration

• Replaced wings.
It looks.......weird but that's most likely just the color and beside's that it's looks fine on him.

Top Bottom