• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
It will be possible if fireballs will respond to a code which...er...tells which skin is used. Pit's arrows have a trail effect for them, just like ROB's laser, so, with right GFX used, it will look like a thicker version of ROB's beam. If fireballs don't respond to that code, then it still will be fitting since Meta Ridley can use fireballs in MP3.

Albino Ridley looks grey and lifeless like a ghost and has low-res textures for eyes.
I like me- black color more, but it needs to be less saturated.
Gotcha. Did you ever find anyone to rig the other model?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Gotcha. Did you ever find anyone to rig the other model?
By "other" model, you mean Meta Ridley? Because then drogoth said he might do it. But im not sure it will be as easy as i though it will be since i had to change few things so its no longer just a matter of rigging certain objects to certain parts.

I might have to redo his lower jaw. Looks like that junk inside his mouth is caused by it. And it will be easier to rig that way.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
View attachment 47762

So this is what happens when you put the textures of Brawl's Meta Ridley onto Bagan's Ridley model.

I have to say, it looks pretty damn cool.
Yeah, just needs to be cleared out.

Not related to this thread, but for those who likes SSB4's SFX, here is something that replaces Brawl's SFX with SSB4's (things like hit SFX, KO sound, shield break, etc, and not voices and sounds exclusive to certain characters): http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208257

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Question, then; where exactly can I get the Ridley model from Melee? I've been looking for it all over the Internet but I can't seem to find it.
This may be a bad suggestion, but why not take the Brawl model Ridley and just change the textures to make it look more like the Melee model, sure it may not look exactly the same but its a start.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Update on helmet model:

Now i need to fully cover his jaw and remove all of the junk inside of his mouth. Sides of his head that have spikes on them aren't covered because thats were upper part of his helmet ends, not because parts of it clip through them.
Just some info on the alt (not about the model itself):
I will include extra version of FitPit.pac file that changes properties of some of the attacks (not damage, knockback, hitlag, etc, just hit sounds and hit GFX) for last 5 costumes, like Mario and Dr.Mario. Colors included for both models will be default, red, green, blue and black. List of changes when using Meta Ridley:
  • Shockwave from his aerial Down B is replaced with a ring of fire.
  • Added fire GFX to Ridley's feet during aerial Down B.
  • All hit GFX and SFX from aerial Down B replaced with fire.
  • Hit GFX and SFX from Up Smash replaced with electricity.
  • (most likely won't work) Fireball replaced with a short burst of plasma beam (it will have same size, damage, etc, but it will leave a trail after it like ROB's beam does, making it look more like what it should be).
  • Wing flap SFX replaced with more fitting one.
All 10 Meta Ridley recolors will be included, but they will have to be manually installed. By default, Firebrand Ridley is replaced by default Meta Ridley alt.
I like these. I like them, a lot. Meta Ridley is the coolest looking Ridley. Other M Ridley is the best proportioned Ridley (except for his tail spike). Combined, they make the best looking Ridley possibly imaginable.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
By "other" model, you mean Meta Ridley? Because then drogoth said he might do it. But im not sure it will be as easy as i though it will be since i had to change few things so its no longer just a matter of rigging certain objects to certain parts.

I might have to redo his lower jaw. Looks like that junk inside his mouth is caused by it. And it will be easier to rig that way.
The Brawl model haha.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Nice! Aside from the mapping issues that PseudoTypical mentioned, I would recommend brightening up the colors on the textures so that it stands out a bit more. The metal seems a little too dark.
Eeeh, I kinda like the way it looks right now. It gives a feeling of decay and such, perfect for a skin that I shall dub as Cyber-Ridley.

On that front, lookie what I've done now!
MenSelchrFaceB.231.png

It's a custom CSP icon for the skin. I kinda like the pose it's in, really.

And the eye is only slightly edited; when I first made the image I had forgotten to apply the eye texture from Meta Ridley and only noticed right after finishing. I had to edit the correct eye on, but if I didn't say that, it'd barely be noticable.

Now to try and get the thing in-game and test it out...

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Well, here's a roadblock for me.

I've managed to get the icon to work, but little else; whenever I start a match with the skin, the game crashes. It might be the file size, because for some reason the .pcs won't compress properly; it's 1,137 kb in size and not in the 800-900 range like the other .pcs files are.

Dos efes

Smash Cadet

I've managed to get the icon to work, but little else; whenever I start a match with the skin, the game crashes. It might be the file size, because for some reason the .pcs won't compress properly; it's 1,137 kb in size and not in the 800-900 range like the other .pcs files are.
Man I don't mean to be rude, but at this rate, you should consider opening your own thread. Also that CSP is very, very unclear. Don't take it the bad way, but I see this way to often not to say anything: Every once in a while we see a newcomer (not that I can do any better) showing their stuff without taking time to polish or developing the skills necessary to put out quality work.

I'm not telling you to give up, I mean, posting is probably the best way to get any feedback. But take it down a notch and amaze us later!

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Because I'm currently at school and on lunch break, I decided to try and make some replacement trophies for the mod.

Here's the one I've currently finished using my custom alt;
Cyber Ridley Trophy.png

(Just imagine it's on a trophy stand and not a white circle :p)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Because I'm currently at school and on lunch break, I decided to try and make some replacement trophies for the mod.

Here's the one I've currently finished using my custom alt;
View attachment 47866
(Just imagine it's on a trophy stand and not a white circle :p)
...You do know that you have to re-rig model in a certain way for trophy to not go back into T-Pose...for certain parts?
And you'd better clean up this texture, really. Looks like it went through a blender and someone attempted to pull it back together.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think i found out what messes up his feet when using Slope Countour stand code. You see, every character's feet in T-Pose are posed as if they are standing on the ground. But Ridley's feet are facing down as if he is a doll help up in the air. That can easily be fixed in the same way his head was messed up when rescaling the model, but then i will have to edit every animation. It will be worth it, no doubt. But i'd better wait for SilentDo0m to finish what he wanted to revamp so i won't have to waste time.

Also, @ Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash , i just noticed that you didn't fixed his tail bones translation. They all should be 0, 2.2 and 0 except for the tail base. On screenshot above, they are messed up. Its like that on the model by default, but thats to make sure nothing goes completly straight when he is thrown and it never is seen like that in normal animations.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
...You do know that you have to re-rig model in a certain way for trophy to not go back into T-Pose...for certain parts?
And you'd better clean up this texture, really. Looks like it went through a blender and someone attempted to pull it back together.
Yeah, at this point I suppose I'm just batting around ideas for trophies and not actually making them for realsies. On terms of the texture, that's something I'm starting to do right now; so I guess you can call that image the alpha test for the textures on the model.

'Course, I'll have to remake the CSS images, but that's pretty simple.

EDIT:
Also, @ Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash , i just noticed that you didn't fixed his tail bones translation. They all should be 0, 2.2 and 0 except for the tail base. On screenshot above, they are messed up. Its like that on the model by default, but thats to make sure nothing goes completly straight when he is thrown and it never is seen like that in normal animations.
Thanks for the heads-up, as well. Will get to fixing that issue, as well.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Didn't noticed this one before. Did you removed all textures that are no longer used or left them here?

Onyx Leo

Smash Cadet
Great job on this mod! I've been fighting for Ridley ever since Brawl was announced, so you can imagine how ecstatic I am to finally have a playable version that isn't too big, or disgusting, or modded off of Charizard. He feels and plays almost exactly how I imagined him, and I'm really happy with the work you've done thus far.

That said, I feel like he's still a bit broken. There are several moves that I think need more work.

His down air is way too safe. It goes through platforms, can combo off itself extremely easily, doesn't take much effort to aim since it's straight down and so fast, and it doesn't even leave him vulnerable if you fail to land it since it bounces him to safety.
If I could make a suggestion, I would say that you should put it on an angle, like Sonic or ZSS's down air. Have it only bounce if you land the tip perfectly on your opponent. Otherwise, just have the blade deal a small amount of damage and knockback, and have a crap ton of landing lag if you miss completely, just like every other move of it's type. He does jab you diagonally in ZM, so it's not like it'd be a completely random move.

• Alternatively, you could just slow it down, or remove his ability to bounce on the ground if you miss, but you really should take away the ability to hit through platforms. I know that's not completely canon to the games, but balance should come before accuracy if you're trying to make a viable character.

Secondly, I personally don't feel like his fireballs should last forever. Their slow speed and strength already serves him with a lot of utility for setups, so having them fly all the way to the blastzones while retaining full damage and KB I think is a bit much. I can't think of a single other character that has an uncharged attack that doesn't peter off in some way, so I would suggest either nerfing it's range, or power throughout the duration of the attack, or even both. Whatever works.

Finally, I think his weakened ledge attack still needs work. It lasts longer than any other move of that type in the game, has the most range, and then he's still invulnerable after he climbs up on the stage when it's over. I love the animation though, but I feel it would be better if instead of doing 3 long stabs, make it two quick stabs WHILE he climbs onto the stages. This would put it more in line with the other attacks.

That's just my two cents for now. I know some of these suggestions may go against your design ideals, but I'm of the opinion that for fan projects like these, it's better for a character to be slightly underpowered than for them to be a broken unstoppable monster. If it's underpowered, it just takes that much more skill, love and devotion to make it work. Then, the satisfaction that comes after winning is priceless.
If it's OP, then even if the character's fun to play, the satisfaction you get after victory feels cheap. As it stands, I don't even like playing against other humans with Ridley because I don't feel like it's fair fight, and that's an issue that's even bigger than Ridley a huge problem.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Didn't noticed this one before. Did you removed all textures that are no longer used or left them here?
I just noticed that the files I had for the skin were mistyped; they didn't have any uppercase letters like the others (so it came out as "fitpit09.pac" as opposed to "FitPit09.pac"); so that may be causing it. I'll see if anything else is done wrong, though, just to be safe.

Right now I'm more focused on getting the bloody thing to work in-game over making it look nice. :p

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Great job on this mod! I've been fighting for Ridley ever since Brawl was announced, so you can imagine how ecstatic I am to finally have a playable version that isn't too big, or disgusting, or modded off of Charizard. He feels and plays almost exactly how I imagined him, and I'm really happy with the work you've done thus far.

That said, I feel like he's still a bit broken. There are several moves that I think need more work.

His down air is way too safe. It goes through platforms, can combo off itself extremely easily, doesn't take much effort to aim since it's straight down and so fast, and it doesn't even leave him vulnerable if you fail to land it since it bounces him to safety.
If I could make a suggestion, I would say that you should put it on an angle, like Sonic or ZSS's down air. Have it only bounce if you land the tip perfectly on your opponent. Otherwise, just have the blade deal a small amount of damage and knockback, and have a crap ton of landing lag if you miss completely, just like every other move of it's type. He does jab you diagonally in ZM, so it's not like it'd be a completely random move.

• Alternatively, you could just slow it down, or remove his ability to bounce on the ground if you miss, but you really should take away the ability to hit through platforms. I know that's not completely canon to the games, but balance should come before accuracy if you're trying to make a viable character.

Secondly, I personally don't feel like his fireballs should last forever. Their slow speed and strength already serves him with a lot of utility for setups, so having them fly all the way to the blastzones while retaining full damage and KB I think is a bit much. I can't think of a single other character that has an uncharged attack that doesn't peter off in some way, so I would suggest either nerfing it's range, or power throughout the duration of the attack, or even both. Whatever works.

Finally, I think his weakened ledge attack still needs work. It lasts longer than any other move of that type in the game, has the most range, and then he's still invulnerable after he climbs up on the stage when it's over. I love the animation though, but I feel it would be better if instead of doing 3 long stabs, make it two quick stabs WHILE he climbs onto the stages. This would put it more in line with the other attacks.

That's just my two cents for now. I know some of these suggestions may go against your design ideals, but I'm of the opinion that for fan projects like these, it's better for a character to be slightly underpowered than for them to be a broken unstoppable monster. If it's underpowered, it just takes that much more skill, love and devotion to make it work. Then, the satisfaction that comes after winning is priceless.
If it's OP, then even if the character's fun to play, the satisfaction you get after victory feels cheap. As it stands, I don't even like playing against other humans with Ridley because I don't feel like it's fair fight, and that's an issue that's even bigger than Ridley a huge problem.
DAir was brought back to usual landing lag in next update (as seen in April Fools video) and he doesn't bounces up as high as he did if he hits opponent. I can't do anything about it going through platforms though. Thats something i wanted to fix when adding that bounce when he lands, but failed.
I won't angle it because thats not how it worked (diagonal tail strike from ZM is separate from "pogo tail").
There is no point in making it bounce up only if tip hits opponent because thats the only hitbox on this attack (rest of the tail has no hitboxes).

There actually is a code that deletes the projectile after 55 frames. It just got placed in wrong order after i added code that creates explosion if it hits someone (which doesn't works anyway). So, thats more of a coding error than something intentional. I just didn't noticed it before since i never looked at its code since...don't even remember when.

That is not true. Intangibility is removed somewhere after 1st strike. In next update, i brought it back to its usual speed, but nerfed damage of the attack, so, i think its better now.

Satisfaction can come from getting something through hard work, but there is a line that, if crossed, will turn it into a sigh of relief after finished the match. SSBC Ridley feels like that.
I just noticed that the files I had for the skin were mistyped; they didn't have any uppercase letters like the others (so it came out as "fitpit09.pac" as opposed to "FitPit09.pac"); so that may be causing it. I'll see if anything else is done wrong, though, just to be safe.
That doesn't matters actually.

invisibleman

Smash Apprentice
That said, I feel like he's still a bit broken. There are several moves that I think need more work...
...I personally don't feel like his fireballs should last forever. Their slow speed and strength already serves him with a lot of utility for setups, so having them fly all the way to the blastzones while retaining full damage and KB I think is a bit much. I can't think of a single other character that has an uncharged attack that doesn't peter off in some way, so I would suggest either nerfing it's range, or power throughout the duration of the attack, or even both. Whatever works.
Pit has arrows,Falco's laser, R.O.B. eye beam, Samus's ice tracking missile, And maybe a few others i missed. I don't know,im tired :)

Last edited:

Onyx Leo

Smash Cadet
Satisfaction can come from getting something through hard work, but there is a line that, if crossed, will turn it into a sigh of relief after finished the match. SSBC Ridley feels like that.
You're right that swinging too far in either direction can be a painful experience, and this may just be the masochist in me, but I still feel like being a small bit behind the curb is better than being above. With the kit you already gave him, and the updates you're making in the next patch, he's already a formidable foe. Having just a few less options isn't going to ruin him because he already has so many advantages. Either way, I'm eagerly looking forward to playing your next version update!

OH! Also, one minor thing I forgot to mention in my last post, but would it be possible to tone down the screen shake on his up taunt? as awesome and powerful as it is, it's actually a bit disorienting with how long it lasts and how much the screen shakes. Could you think about lowering it to match his down taunt?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
No, it's not the same size as the .pac....actually, I'm not using the _bm files, so should I just remove them? That may be what's causing it.
Yes.
You're right that swinging too far in either direction can be a painful experience, and this may just be the masochist in me, but I still feel like being a small bit behind the curb is better than being above. With the kit you already gave him, and the updates you're making in the next patch, he's already a formidable foe. Having just a few less options isn't going to ruin him because he already has so many advantages. Either way, I'm eagerly looking forward to playing your next version update!

OH! Also, one minor thing I forgot to mention in my last post, but would it be possible to tone down the screen shake on his up taunt? as awesome and powerful as it is, it's actually a bit disorienting with how long it lasts and how much the screen shakes. Could you think about lowering it to match his down taunt?
He also has obvious disadvantages. I will make few noticable nerfs anyway.

I was thinking about doing that.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Alright, they've been removed. Now to test if it works in-game...

EDIT: It worked! The game now launches sucessfully with the custom skin loaded.

EDIT 2: Now with some in-game screenshots!
al_150417_2320.bin.out.jpg

Cyber Ridley looks pretty good in-game, actually.
al_150417_2201.bin.out.jpg

He looks even better on Lylat Cruise, as well!
al_150417_2332.bin.out.jpg

Cyber-Ridley does what every self-respecting Ridley does to living organisms; torch them. The icicle melting is a bonus.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Alright, they've been removed. Now to test if it works in-game...

EDIT: It worked! The game now launches sucessfully with the custom skin loaded.

EDIT 2: Now with some in-game screenshots!
View attachment 47949
Cyber Ridley looks pretty good in-game, actually.
View attachment 47950
He looks even better on Lylat Cruise, as well!
View attachment 47951
Cyber-Ridley does what every self-respecting Ridley does to living organisms; torch them. The icicle melting is a bonus.
Looks better now. I would recommend replacing his wing membrane materials with Meta Ridley's so they would have no gloss and would look better.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Here it is! He is ready to be rigged: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzuyx6qvdkehfv0/MetaRidley ready to be rigged.pac?dl=0 I can safely upload the file for everyone since, well, if you will try to use him for anything ranging from simple posing to animations, you will find out that none of this stuff is actually attached to him.
Here are previews:
Textures were untouched outside of skin textures. Removed wings for 2nd image to give you a clear view of his back. Yeah, MP1 Meta Ridley was used the most...But many like it more than others. For those who is bothered by his shins clipping through the shin armor - they should be completly removed because, well, its not really armor and more like cybernetic replacement or something.
Note: this is no longer a very simple work. It was such back when he wasn't covered that much and his tail was going to be retextured to look like its a metal replacement, but it looks a lot better this way. At its current state, this model requires a lot of optimizing, removal of unused verticles, rigging tail and wings properly and a lot of time time. Those who will attempt to rig this are free to change few things as long as its not very noticable (like completly replacing his helmet).
Note 2: all of polygons are labeled for your convenience, so, there is no need for testing what is what. Well, there are few polygons that are left unnamed, but thats because i don't know what are they supposed to be.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, since i doubt we will find solution for fireballs for a while, i decided to temporarily replace it with something else. What exactly? Well, its something rather simple and has nothing to do with fireballs. It is a chargable version of his alternate nB. Its range, damage and knockback increases as it charges up, going through 5 stages and requiring to be charged a bit longer than Samus' Charge Shot for a full charge. Animation changes slightly, but its duration always stays same. Can't be angled in the air (it always goes diagonally). Once fireball is fixed, it will be replaced or i will just make fireball chargeable like that. Don't know what exactly will be done.
#ShamelessDoublePostingFTW

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What's wrong with the fireballs?
They crash the game since command grab was added to the moveset. Sometimes even before fireball comes out, sometimes after 2nd or 3rd fireball, but it always crashes after some time. Since its because of something about the module rather than coding (or at least thats what i think it is), i can't fix it by myself, but i can't delay next version for too long, so, gotta have a proper replacement for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom