• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

drogoth232

Smash Lord
The funny thing is I just tested it in training with every character now, and I found that the only character he does this to is Samus.
Well Bagan, it looks like you really ****ed up this time

Either that or he's lying lol

Last edited:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
2.0 nair is life wolf's? make sure there's more space between hits, so it's less of a drill and more like a bowser up-b. fast multi-hits don't seeem right on such a large character

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
When I think of Ridley, I think of a fast and ferocious character with immense strength and attacking speed, but at the same time slow at recovering his attacks to make a new move.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
2.0 nair is life wolf's? make sure there's more space between hits, so it's less of a drill and more like a bowser up-b. fast multi-hits don't seeem right on such a large character
Of course. It can't be that fast. I wouldn't make it too slow either since those spikes should hurt and there are a lot of them, with only 1 "blind spot".
Well Bagan, it looks like you really ****ed up this time

Either that or he's lying lol
Either way, i win since if its true, then its a nice easter egg and if it isn't, then there are no issues with AI.

Last edited:

BoVeZ

Smash Rookie
I absolutely love this mod. The moveset is well thought out, and Ridley doesn't feel overpowered. But after playing for a while, it felt like he was a little too big. I know this is probly something you hear a lot, and maybe a little tired of hearing it. But i am not trying to be critical. I have always felt that Ridley is super cool and deserved to be in smash from the beginning. That being said, i just wanted to offer a little insight from just a brief practice session with my friend. When Ridley is standing in the idle position hunched over he doesn't look too big, but when he starts moving and fighting and running around he feels a little big, especially when recovering from a ledge. If you watch the melee intro, you can see that Ridley is just barely bigger than Samus. If Ridley was that size, nobody would ever have a problem with him. Even if you shrank your model size by somewhere between 15-30%, he would feel a lot more comfortable, and he could even stand up a little straighter if you wanted. But this is just my opinion. If you just wanted to make a separate model available that was a little smaller without changing your whole project, that would be cool too.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
No you read right, that's the result of when SilentDoom applies his animating expertise to Ridley

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Not sure how I feel about that...
You know, PMDT members can work on things other than PM. I think his animations will really help with this project.

It doesn't mean anything regarding the official PM build.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
You know, PMDT members can work on things other than PM. I think his animations will really help with this project.

It doesn't mean anything regarding the official PM build.
This

Even though I don't agree with everything P:M does *cough*Notbeingopenwithclonecodesandotherstuff*cough*, I still respect the fact that they're humans and, like humans, can do what they want. They don't have to devote all their resources to PM. Especially when it's on their own time and not time that they've set aside to work on specific PM related stuff.

Remember, this is a hobby for literally everyone who does this in our spare time (aside from KJP :V) . If we got paid for this, I don't think we'd do anything but this.

Speaking of which... life would be much better if I got paid a stable salary for this...

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

HAPPY GREEN DAY, KIDDIES!

Fun fact: I'm part Irish.

Last edited:

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
i was thinking could you make his forward air like bowser's that be neat and is his down air still the pogo tail?
plus can you change the throws up throw could be like charizards. down throw should either be stabbing with the tail or fire breathing, not both. forward throw and back throw are fine and last thing, what was used on the stream
brawlbox?

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
i was thinking could you make his forward air like bowser's that be neat and is his down air still the pogo tail?
plus can you change the throws up throw could be like charizards. down throw should either be stabbing with the tail or fire breathing, not both. forward throw and back throw are fine and last thing, what was used on the stream
brawlbox?
FAir = yes

DAir = just tilt it forward

D Throw = I'd say a brutal stab or two, then throw the target behind him like characters such as the FE crew.

U Throw = Yes, but only if it's just a fly up, then body slam...or same animation as a mid-air Flame Choke. I'm not gonna let any throw out-swagger Charizard's Seismic Toss.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
So one thing my friend and I were arguing about is Ridley's throw damage. A few throws do 15-16 which looks like a lot at first, but it is really just the same as Bowser's which seems fair. However, Ridley can grab people a lot easier than Bowser can because he has a bigger grab range and increased mobility. Based on this I would suggest making Ridley's throws deal around 10-12 damage.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Not sure how I feel about that...
Don't know how you feel about that, but it certainly is like a gift from gods. Seriously.
So one thing my friend and I were arguing about is Ridley's throw damage. A few throws do 15-16 which looks like a lot at first, but it is really just the same as Bowser's which seems fair. However, Ridley can grab people a lot easier than Bowser can because he has a bigger grab range and increased mobility. Based on this I would suggest making Ridley's throws deal around 10-12 damage.
Already done for the next update. Now max damage is 13.

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Considering Pm devs are considered as Gods in this forum, yeah, it's literally a gift from the gods. :V

Also I vote for the new idle animation.
Sakurai wanted to keep his menacingness, but failed to do so? Well, that idling sure does seem menacing enough to me.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
FAir = yes

DAir = just tilt it forward

D Throw = I'd say a brutal stab or two, then throw the target behind him like characters such as the FE crew.

U Throw = Yes, but only if it's just a fly up, then body slam...or same animation as a mid-air Flame Choke. I'm not gonna let any throw out-swagger Charizard's Seismic Toss.
D Throw = maybe he could stomp on them with one foot then scrape his foot behind him sortive like a bull

U Throw = ridley could have grabed with his feet like an eagle, fly up then slam on the ground it could be either a tech chase or a killing throw

never would i let charizards throw be outswaggard either and that move dosent kill soon enough
when i said charizards i meant more like metaknights

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I imagined Dthrow being much cooler, if Ridley stabbed the opponent multiple times in an extremely fast succession with some extra SFX (y'know.. some.. whooshes or quick stabbing sounds) and a white movement effect to emphasize the swiftness. (see Mewtwo's and Ridley's tail aerials)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
D Throw = maybe he could stomp on them with one foot then scrape his foot behind him sortive like a bull

U Throw = ridley could have grabed with his feet like an eagle, fly up then slam on the ground it could be either a tech chase or a killing throw

never would i let charizards throw be outswaggard either and that move dosent kill soon enough
when i said charizards i meant more like metaknights
DThrow doesn't sounds brutal and opponent's size may screw it up (Ridley's foot may either clip badly or not even touch opponent).
As for UThrow, i'd better keep it as something he actually does in Super Metroid (minus "slamming into the ground" part).

I imagined Dthrow being much cooler, if Ridley stabbed the opponent multiple times in an extremely fast succession with some extra SFX (y'know.. some.. whooshes or quick stabbing sounds) and a white movement effect to emphasize the swiftness. (see Mewtwo's and Ridley's tail aerials)
This sounds a lot better and it also unique.
Credit where needed though.
...I didn't noticed that there wasn't any before. Maybe its because all animations are made from scratch except for 1 frame. At least telling which mod exactly gets animations revamped would be nice.

Anyway, new DAir and NAir are now fully functional. DAir is now a meteor smash (at least it should be since i copied Wario's hitbox data and edited it) and NAir looks good with its GFX. Not very strong and its the only kind of spinning NAir that uses slash GFX instead of normal GFX on hit. Other changes done are DSpecial meteor smash, Side Smash fix, FAir nerf (now its a lot harder to WoP), get up attack GFX fix and 100% ledge attack nerf (both in damage and speed).
Also, i want you to show something about SilentDo0m's revamped idle:

Size is at least 95% accurate. I didn't bothered to fully replicate his pose in this frame fully and just posed legs and hip bones properly and got proper size, then just imported stage's model. Stage used is Battlefield with a lot of things removed and only necessary parts left. Ridley here is posed a bit too high, but it still is clear that his tail blade causes noticable clipping. This can be fixed by making Ridley a lot smaller, but that won't look right. Either that or editing animation.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a Dthrow like this would be cool and unique. The current one isn't really accenting the bruteness as good as it should.

Oh, and pummel healing was removed? Too bad, actually. I thought it was fitting and I would have loved to see how it fared in a more competitive environment. On the other hand Ridley can get grabs somewhat easily so it might be OP and force an even campier playstyle on opponents with high % where they can get pummeled a lot.

Last edited:

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
Is the clipping tail a real problem? That shoudn't happen in an actual match, i mean, who stays under a platform doing nothing long enough for the idle animation to play?

Also, for the Dthrow, i suggest he drill his tail in the grounded opponent (he can do that in Other M iirc) then blast them away, as he does for his Fthrow

Finally, thanks for all the great work you've done on ridley, that's a dream come true for me!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, a Dthrow like this would be cool and unique. The current one isn't really accenting the bruteness as good as it should.
At least it did sound good on the paper...
Is the clipping tail a real problem? That shoudn't happen in an actual match, i mean, who stays under a platform doing nothing long enough for the idle animation to play?
Also, for the Dthrow, i suggest he drill his tail in the grounded opponent (he can do that in Other M iirc) then blast them away, as he does for his Fthrow
Finally, thanks for all the great work you've done on ridley, that's a dream come true for me!
It happens pretty quickly and what if you just wait for opponent to respawn? Either way, if clipping is that bad, it needs to be fixed. Bowser's shell clipping isn't very noticable, so, it can be left. Same goes for Ganondorf's head on certain stages. But not when something as big as Ridley's tail blade does it.
I know he can do that in Other M...as Adolescent Ridley. His model allows him to do so. Ridley's model can't do same thing without tail warping badly.

Few extra changes (for the previous list) i thought of that hopefully will be done (with some help from KJP again):
  • Down B armor actually breaks upon getting hit hard enough (as in it gets removed until next time).
  • Replaced claw sword trails with claw swipe GFX (to make it more fitting for SSB).
  • Replace fire GFX on UTilt, alt Neutral B, etc. with better one (from Charizard's NAir for example).
  • Replace Up B with something between SSBC Ridley's Up B, SSBB Ridley loop attack and SSB4 Meta Knight's Up B.
  • Replace alt Side B (glide) with old Up B (both on the ground and in the air).
  • New DThrow (idea by Warzenchwein).
  • Removed roars during DAir (since it can be spammed and it will get annoying), UAir (for same reasons) and NAir.

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
I second this. It'd look so brutal and cool. Or maybe just stab them once so he keeps them laying down, and then slashing them multiple times with his claws. Like if he was trying to rip their face off.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
There are LOTS of things reported in the visual fixing thread that "shouldn't happen in an actual match", but guess what, they were reported for a reason. Little details can make or break anything.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
There are LOTS of things reported in the visual fixing thread that "shouldn't happen in an actual match", but guess what, they were reported for a reason. Little details can make or break anything.
No one's complaining about Roy's head clipping in his shoulder for like half of his side taunt :V
Or whichever taunt is the one where the SoS catches fire.

Or that his Nair looks like he's taking his sword on a date V:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Is clipping through a platform really going to diminish how the mod plays? Nothing is perfect. Especially considering some moves clip through stuff anyway.

Come on, people.

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
All i meant to say was, there is nothing wrong with fixing what is broken if it can be fixed, but i don't consider situation-specific clipping to broken.

I also wondered, is it possible to change the fire balls properties during an active down B? if it is, that could make the previously discussed plasma beam attack a thing...

Oh, and I think up B could benefit from total or partial intangibility on start-up, something like 2 or 3 frames, to help ridley with his problems with close range combat. I don't know if intangibility is in accordance with PMDT's design choices though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
All i meant to say was, there is nothing wrong with fixing what is broken if it can be fixed, but i don't consider situation-specific clipping to broken.

I also wondered, is it possible to change the fire balls properties during an active down B? if it is, that could make the previously discussed plasma beam attack a thing...

Oh, and I think up B could benefit from total or partial intangibility on start-up, something like 2 or 3 frames, to help ridley with his problems with close range combat. I don't know if intangibility is in accordance with PMDT's design choices though.
Its just not right.

No, its not possible. The only things that can be changed about them are damage+knockback and angle (even then, only 2 angles set). Kinda sucks. At least thats what KJP told me.

Considering they removed it from shines, Ike's Up B, Snake's Up B, etc., i don't think it is.
Is clipping through a platform really going to diminish how the mod plays? Nothing is perfect. Especially considering some moves clip through stuff anyway.

Come on, people.
Stuff clips through, yes. But its not like Bowser's head and upper part of torso constantly clips through platforms, isn't it? Ridley's tail clipping is nearly that bad considering how long tail blade is.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
DThrow doesn't sounds brutal and opponent's size may screw it up (Ridley's foot may either clip badly or not even touch opponent).
As for UThrow, i'd better keep it as something he actually does in Super Metroid (minus "slamming into the ground" part).
every move doesn't have to be from his games, look and ganon or wario, they have like only one attack from there game...and i still wanna know what was used in the stream

Last edited:
Top Bottom