• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Well, this is odd.

When I only added the six first .pac files and CSPs, the game freezes over when I try to access anything past the 6th character in the charcater select screen.
When I added the last three .pac files and CPSs, I still get a freeze.

This time, I added everything except for the common5 file during the second attempt.

Clean installation doesn't seem to be a problem, though.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Mostly skin mods for other characters.

Can't see how they would interfer with each other at all.

EDIT: Eh, forget it. I just actually forgot to add the CSP into the common5 file. Out of everything I was supposed to remember. :V

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So, i made quick research on something and here are results:
So, Dedede has slightly less range, but a lot more power and even if he has sourspots, they don't matter as much as Ridley's. And i tried to reduce Ridley's tail length. Here is result:

His tail looks warped here if you will pay attention to it. At this length, its equal to Brawl Ridley's tail length.

Zaelkath

Smash Rookie
So, i made quick research on something and here are results:
So, Dedede has slightly less range, but a lot more power and even if he has sourspots, they don't matter as much as Ridley's. And i tried to reduce Ridley's tail length. Here is result:

His tail looks warped here if you will pay attention to it. At this length, its equal to Brawl Ridley's tail length.
I agree with the tail being short makes it look...odd.

I've been maining him exclusively since, literally, 5 minutes since he was released and I still don't have much issue with the tail length.

Even playing against him (having my friend play him) I've learned to adapt and dodge his tail VERY easily.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
I noticed that I had a really hard time when people came face up close to Ridley. For some reason, I can't manage to grab people who are too close.

And his jabs just doesn't hit either. Everyone just DIs out of the first hit. :V

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I noticed that I had a really hard time when people came face up close to Ridley. For some reason, I can't manage to grab people who are too close.

And his jabs just doesn't hit either. Everyone just DIs out of the first hit. :V
How close exactly? Do they clip through him or not that close?

Probably because of the high fixed knockback on it.

Anyway, after thinking about it, i made a list of changes for v2.0:
  • Decreased aerial mobility to match PM Wario's.
  • Slightly increased weight.
  • Increased start up and end lag (mostly end lag) on UAir and FAir.
  • Decreased range on FTilt, FSmash and DSmash.
  • Decreased fixed knockback on first 2 jabs.
  • Reworked DAir:
    • Meteor smashes only at first few frames after hitbox appears. Otherwise, launches up like Link's DAir.
    • No longer disabled horizontal movement.
    • Now it ends after some time instead of going down until SD or Ridley hits ground.
    • Bounces off the ground upon landing.
    • If A button is held, Ridley will not bounce up and instead will continue to go down.
    • No longer goes through platforms as much (only tail blade clips through them).
    • Slightly increased knockback.
  • Replaced NAir with SSBC Ridley's NAir, but less...er...compressed.
  • Decreased horizontal range on BAir and increased vertical range.
  • Decreased fastfall velocity (no longer drops like Metal Fox on Heavy Brawl after getting spiked at 300%).
  • Increased range on alt Neutral B.
  • Fixed few graphical bugs (like incorrect sword trail placement on one of the get up attacks).
  • Decreased knockback and damage on 100% ledge attack, decreased tail length during start up of each tail strike and increased time between each tail strike.
  • Decreased distance Ridley goes through during aerial Side B and decreased overall speed during this attack.
  • Fixed shaders on the model (thanks to KingJigglypuff).
  • (unconfirmed) Added real shadow instead of just a simple circle.
  • (unconfirmed) Improved CSPs.
  • Increased volume on victory theme.
  • (unconfirmed) Added smoke GFX to Ridley's mouth after using firebreath or fireballs.
  • Modified FThrow to go less distance forward (he jumps back, then goes forward instead of just going forward...hard to explain).
  • Fixed FSmash's animation (doesn't looks so weird anymore) and increased end lag.
  • All tail sourspots' damage increased by 2%.
  • Changed aerial Down Special's hit trajectory to meteor smash.
Oh, and i will finally update OP. I think those changes will be a huge step forward to proper balance.
Now his idle animation is too slow... Then again, I'm browsing on my Wii U.
Nah, thats just your WiiU.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
One more thing - this most likely will be done before Marth 23th since not that much work is required. But im working on at least 2 things at once and randomly double-clicking left mouse button certainly doesn't helps. Anyway, 'till next update. Hopefully, he won't become boring to play as while still being balanced (or at least better balanced than now).

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Hm, how unfortunate. It would be nice if it were to return though because the Up-B is extremely janky without an edgesnap.

Besides, I've noticed that aerial Down-B momentum glitch is still present. Well, the same happens with other similar attacks but it's extremely noticeable for Ridley since it can lead to him slowly gliding into his demise. How about making it cancelable on an extremely late active frame? So late it can't be canceled when used normally but only to counteract this occurence? Would that be possible?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hm, how unfortunate. It would be nice if it were to return though because the Up-B is extremely janky without an edgesnap.

Besides, I've noticed that aerial Down-B momentum glitch is still present. Well, the same happens with other similar attacks but it's extremely noticeable for Ridley since it can lead to him slowly gliding into his demise. How about making it cancelable on an extremely late active frame? So late it can't be canceled when used normally but only to counteract this occurence? Would that be possible?
It certainly is possible, but its better to find a solution for this glitch because, well, it still won't look good when it happens.

New NAir and FAir animations:

NAir works kinda like Wolf's, with last hitbox dealing higher knockback (it appears when he uncurls). FAir was just slowed down in certain parts. Now back to the 2nd project.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Nice animations. Yeah, a major complaint I was having with this PSA was the animations were sped up to be competitive it seemed like, but lost a lot of the crisp aesthetic appeal of doing said move. EX: Usmash, Fair, FSmash, DSmash, Jab, Up-B.

Glad to see you're edited the animation to look more fitting. Hope to see more of the animation upgrades.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Nice animations. Yeah, a major complaint I was having with this PSA was the animations were sped up to be competitive it seemed like, but lost a lot of the crisp aesthetic appeal of doing said move. EX: Usmash, Fair, FSmash, DSmash, Jab, Up-B.

Glad to see you're edited the animation to look more fitting. Hope to see more of the animation upgrades.
Thats not why they were sped up. Jab originally was way too slow (as slow as Captain Falcon's UTilt and that is, when compared to other jabs, unacceptable), USmash must be fast or else Ridley's incredibly thin (not that its a bad thing since wings are supposed to be thin) wings will look unfitting and attack would look weak, DSmash is supposed to be a quick spin like in Metroid Prime (probably should be slowed down slightly though), Side Smash involves Ridley thrusting his tail forward while also extending it (and that can't be done slowly) and Up B is based off Firebrand's strong Demon Missile, which was very quick, but i slowed down swooping down part. FAir and UAir are too fast, that is what wasn't really intentional. Same goes for original UTilt, current aerial Side B, original Neutral B fireball, etc.

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I didn't mean the entire thing to be slow mind you! Actually, what you just mentioned on the slowing down a portion of the Up-B is exactly what I was thinking on all of these moves, that certain portions of the moves were too fast and didn't create quite the most crisp animation. Like, if the Up-Smash had slightly more charge/stall before his wings abruptly smacked together.

Nothing too serious, just little things like that.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh, I didn't mean the entire thing to be slow mind you! Actually, what you just mentioned on the slowing down a portion of the Up-B is exactly what I was thinking on all of these moves, that certain portions of the moves were too fast and didn't create quite the most crisp animation. Like, if the Up-Smash had slightly more charge/stall before his wings abruptly smacked together.

Nothing too serious, just little things like that.
That can be done.

Er...one of the streams by SilentDo0m right now (http://www.twitch.tv/silentdo0m#/silentdo0m) is showing something about Ridley's animations. Looks promising...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Must... not... make.. expand dong joke!

That new NAir animation... Definitely look forward to that if that's one of the things we get in the next build.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Must... not... make.. expand dong joke!

That new NAir animation... Definitely look forward to that if that's one of the things we get in the next build.
Im surprised no one made such joke when DK used his Up Taunt (or was it Down Taunt) in 50% showcase video.

Yes, it is one of those things i am sure will be added.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Someone should make a ridleybowl for pm hype video like the clegane bowl or stannis the mannis game of thrones hype videos

Glaze_

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItsGlaze
3DS FC
2595-1893-0903
Is there an installation tutorial for version 1.77?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
How close exactly? Do they clip through him or not that close?

Probably because of the high fixed knockback on it.

Anyway, after thinking about it, i made a list of changes for v2.0:
  • Decreased aerial mobility to match PM Wario's.
  • Slightly increased weight.
  • Increased start up and end lag (mostly end lag) on UAir and FAir.
  • Decreased range on FTilt, FSmash and DSmash.
  • Decreased fixed knockback on first 2 jabs.
  • Reworked DAir:
    • Meteor smashes only at first few frames after hitbox appears. Otherwise, launches up like Link's DAir.
    • No longer disabled horizontal movement.
    • Now it ends after some time instead of going down until SD or Ridley hits ground.
    • Bounces off the ground upon landing.
    • If A button is held, Ridley will not bounce up and instead will continue to go down.
    • No longer goes through platforms as much (only tail blade clips through them).
    • Slightly increased knockback.
  • Replaced NAir with SSBC Ridley's NAir, but less...er...compressed.
  • Decreased horizontal range on BAir and increased vertical range.
  • Decreased fastfall velocity (no longer drops like Metal Fox on Heavy Brawl after getting spiked at 300%).
  • Increased range on alt Neutral B.
  • Fixed few graphical bugs (like incorrect sword trail placement on one of the get up attacks).
  • Decreased knockback and damage on 100% ledge attack, decreased tail length during start up of each tail strike and increased time between each tail strike.
  • Decreased distance Ridley goes through during aerial Side B and decreased overall speed during this attack.
  • Fixed shaders on the model (thanks to KingJigglypuff).
  • (unconfirmed) Added real shadow instead of just a simple circle.
  • (unconfirmed) Improved CSPs.
  • Increased volume on victory theme.
  • (unconfirmed) Added smoke GFX to Ridley's mouth after using firebreath or fireballs.
  • Modified FThrow to go less distance forward (he jumps back, then goes forward instead of just going forward...hard to explain).
  • Fixed FSmash's animation (doesn't looks so weird anymore) and increased end lag.
  • All tail sourspots' damage increased by 2%.
  • Changed aerial Down Special's hit trajectory to meteor smash.
Oh, and i will finally update OP. I think those changes will be a huge step forward to proper balance.

Nah, thats just your WiiU.
This all sounds pretty great. Nice work, Bagan!

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Since you really like to add details and bonus stuff for Ridley.

Add a battered and tired animation, if there's file space left? :v

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Lol Ridley sleeps with his eyes open. Not a problem at all though have no clue if he blinks.
Anyone notice the stun his down taunt creates?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The comparison was that Little Mac has it while the rest of the cast doesn't, and that it doesn't look out of place. At least in his opinion
Same reason that ganon has his sword taunt attack.
Why not?
That makes sense i guess.
Well, it is useful for edgeguarding and it shows that Ganondorf knows that sword isn't just a shiny piece of metal.
Lol Ridley sleeps with his eyes open. Not a problem at all though have no clue if he blinks.
Anyone notice the stun his down taunt creates?
He can't close his eyes in other 3d games, so, he doesn't closes them here too. Kinda like with snakes.
Its intentional and put in readme as far as i remember.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
I didn't expect him to or he would've shut them in pain during the Prime fight. And ah must have missed that. Time it right and its the perfect grap introduction.

theTRUEchamp

Smash Apprentice
Please add announcer stuff too. Maybe include two variations: One using the Brawl announcer and one using Theytah's Project Monolith announcer.

Also, hype. Lot's of it, too.

HYPE.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
PM.

Well, in such case, the question is why would he need that?
Well, it's not liek he "needs" that. It's a suggestion to make a personal piff to your mod, that really stands out with the little details.
Doesn't need to be battere or tired either. COuld be something else, like, pumped up, or angry. It's not necessary, of course.

I just know that the Shadow PSA I recently obtained had that little detail in it, and it amazed me somehow.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
He can't close his eyes in other 3d games, so, he doesn't closes them here too. Kinda like with snakes.
I remember Ridley blinking his eyes at least once in the SSE, particularly during his encounter with Samus and Pikachu. Then again, it wasn't canon to Metroid so who knows?

Draco_The

Smash Lord
It's kinda strange seeing cartoon-ish animations with a rather serious-looking model though.

Top Bottom