• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
B..but Ridley-X looks so zombie-ish! ;_; I mean c'mon, it's a virus infecting a corpse, and bringing it back as a hellspawn! You can't tell me that isn't an ingenius idea; plus, I only remember being phazon being a corruptive, radioactive substance, not a virus.

If you have a better idea for which current alt you'd like to use it on, I'll gladly hear it.
Well, it is a good idea, but its better to be executed with a new model. And that virus did not revived the corpse. It shattered it upon leaving and then just replicated it before twisting into that abomination.
Phazon is more than that - it is sentient, corruptive, radioactive, unstable substance that can affect even ghosts. In other words, evil sentient nanomachines.

Black alt. But first, it needs to have more stuff put onto it and i don't know what exactly. Right now, it has a unique effect on it that replaces that metallic shine on his skin with a subtle purple one, but thats it.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well, it is a good idea, but its better to be executed with a new model. And that virus did not revived the corpse. It shattered it upon leaving and then just replicated it before twisting into that abomination.
Phazon is more than that - it is sentient, corruptive, radioactive, unstable substance that can affect even ghosts. In other words, evil sentient nanomachines.

Black alt. But first, it needs to have more stuff put onto it and i don't know what exactly. Right now, it has a unique effect on it that replaces that metallic shine on his skin with a subtle purple one, but thats it.
I've been trying to figure out what the black alt is for; I feel its got something to do with Zero Mission, but I'm not sure.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
His Side Smash should have less knock back, his d-air shouldn't spike has it feels to broken in my opinion and his wings are too thin. (To see what i'm talking about use his up smash and pause it when their together)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
His Side Smash should have less knock back, his d-air shouldn't spike has it feels to broken in my opinion and his wings are too thin. (To see what i'm talking about use his up smash and pause it when their together)
Side Smash has less knockback (and damage) than Ganondorf's while still being slower, DAir is inferiour to PM Wario's in every way (lower range, lower knockback, lower damage, no way to survive if used off-stage and misses, longer landing lag, etc) except for how high he bounces up.
As for wings, thats a pretty stupid complaint. Have you ever seen a bat with thick wings? Or even a bird with thick wings? They are supposed to be thin. Ridley always had thin wings. All dragons have thin wings. All bats have thin wings.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Side Smash has less knockback (and damage) than Ganondorf's while still being slower, DAir is inferiour to PM Wario's in every way (lower range, lower knockback, lower damage, no way to survive if used off-stage and misses, longer landing lag, etc) except for how high he bounces up.
As for wings, thats a pretty stupid complaint. Have you ever seen a bat with thick wings? Or even a bird with thick wings? They are supposed to be thin. Ridley always had thin wings. All dragons have thin wings. All bats have thin wings.
Well I think he bounce lower when he hits someone with his d-air, his wings look a bit too thin and it get kinda weird when you pause the game to look at them, i'm not saying they need to alot thicker i'm just saying to need look less like paper like, even if that's how his wings look like.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
For those criticizing the balance of Ridley, I've been given permission (look a few pages back) to make needed balance edits for Ridley.

So bring up everything that should be addressed, and I'll look into it.
2lazy to read the other posts so I might write some stuff that has already been addressed:

- His aerial mobility honestly is a tad too high. Combined with his Fair and Uair it makes gimping and juggling too easy. Get someone off-stage and a skilled player will take the stock pretty much 100% of the time with low risk. That's just how it is. Additionally, his aerial mobility makes him slide off of edges with ease, making edge-canceling easily spammable.
His aerial mobility shouldn't be toned down completely but.. well, as it was mentioned before you should try to buff his other weaknesses a bit so it balances itself out. It kinda just doesn't work with such a big character that well, lol. Not mentioning how janky he feels in the air, you can literally jiggle around mid-air by flicking your stick back and forth.
- Regarding the Fair and Uair, I feel like they could use a little bit more lag. But that might be redundant if the aerial mobility is reduced.

Other than that he feels pretty swell so.. well, yeah.

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Guys (and Girls), This Mod is Officially the most viewed mod on Brawl Vault you passed Pikezer's BrawlEx pack!! You did it @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros oh and I think you should make the Super armor ability last a tad bit longer or does it already has enough time (Not trying to be picky)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Guys (and Girls), This Mod is Officially the most viewed mod on Brawl Vault you passed Pikezer's BrawlEx pack!! You did it @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros oh and I think you should make the Super armor ability last a tad bit longer or does it already has enough time (Not trying to be picky)
In this month at least. Stuff like that Shadow mod or that horrible (in terms of balance and, to a lesser extent, animations) Sephiroth mod are still so much more viewed/downloaded it can't be compared.
It lasts for 7 seconds and it can be re-applied as much as needed.

Well, if aerial mobility is that bad, i'll try to do something about it.

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Lol the only reason Sephiroth and Shadow are more popular is because they're made for Brawl and you don't have to replace anyone. Plus alot of people just like to throw anyone they can into Smash brothers, there's a Deadpool mod of all characters XD

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Lol the only reason Sephiroth and Shadow are more popular is because they're made for Brawl and you don't have to replace anyone. Plus alot of people just like to throw anyone they can into Smash brothers, there's a Deadpool mod of all characters XD
They replace someone (but they are not limited to who they replace) by default. And it doesn't really matters that anyone can be thrown into Smash with a mod. They just are popular characters and those 2 mods probably were first to appear.

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
- His aerial mobility honestly is a tad too high. Combined with his Fair and Uair it makes gimping and juggling too easy. Get someone off-stage and a skilled player will take the stock pretty much 100% of the time with low risk. That's just how it is. Additionally, his aerial mobility makes him slide off of edges with ease, making edge-canceling easily spammable.
His aerial mobility shouldn't be toned down completely but.. well, as it was mentioned before you should try to buff his other weaknesses a bit so it balances itself out. It kinda just doesn't work with such a big character that well, lol. Not mentioning how janky he feels in the air, you can literally jiggle around mid-air by flicking your stick back and forth.
Don't know if you already plan on changing it, but the aerial mobility is the only thing that really bugs me at this stage. It doesn't look or feel right, and it's definitely OP.
I'll be playing around with his attributes for sure, as that's a gripe I have as well.

- Regarding the Fair and Uair, I feel like they could use a little bit more lag. But that might be redundant if the aerial mobility is reduced..
One of the first changes I've made was increasing the endlag of Forward Air and Up Air.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Alright, I tried to use Ridley against a competitive player.

Apparently, even with Super Armor buff, you're not as invincible as you think. Ridley is so big that grabbing him isn't a huge challenge. It also stops being useful at above 100% or so. Fast characters like Zero Suit Samus can easily rack damage on him during Super Armor. Not sure how to counter that.

His biggest adversaries are Lucario and Marth. Lucario with his high speed game and mid-air grabs, Marth aslo has a ridiculous grab range.

Ridley's off-stage game really risky. His hurtbox is so large that a he'll touch the blast-zone pretty easily, allowing you to do quite a few suicides. His gliding also puts him a bit backward, which pretty much kills you if you do it near the blast-zone.

I noticed he lacks a crashing animation and sound when he tumbles on the ground. He just snaps on the ground quietly.

If you run off the ledge, moving towards the stage again snaps him back to the stage, rather than going below it.

Ridley got a pretty strong edge-guard game, with his fireball pressures and the deadly pogo tail.

That's about my report as a character test.

Zaelkath

Smash Rookie
They replace someone (but they are not limited to who they replace) by default. And it doesn't really matters that anyone can be thrown into Smash with a mod. They just are popular characters and those 2 mods probably were first to appear.
Yeah, those mods have been around for YEARS.

Give Ridley some time, he'll get up there.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
On another note, my only "complaint" would be the Up Special's lack of ledge climbing.
That is it and has been mentioned, other than that I love it and cannot complain.
He is not broken, OP or anything like that. A competitive friend of mine says "he fits right in with the rest", and several others of my group agree. He is easily punishable thanks to his size and speed, so there you go.
He has the best range which is a double edged sword at times. Very unique character.

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
I'm not very familiar with cBliss, or stuff like that. It appears my game freezes if I try to access last two costumes from the character selection menu.

This isn't a clean PM installation, though. Tried to slap it in bit by bit manually, since I dind't felt like editing the common5 all over again after all the costume and music changes I made.

I didn't replace the common5 file.

Any idea what I did wrong?

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Oh, shoot! I did forget something! ><

@ KingJigglypuff KingJigglypuff Ridley's Nair needs to be significantly tweaked. It needs to be quicker, cover both of his sides, and lacking a spike (seriously, I've easily crippled Charizard at low percentages with that blade)

SyphoV2

Smash Cadet
NNID
SyphoV2
3DS FC
1504-5926-1350
Because it wasn't answered the first time and I don't plan on reading the entire topic for this answer, do you plan on making Ridley compatible as an add-on with the latest PM Launcher for easy switching?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm not very familiar with cBliss, or stuff like that. It appears my game freezes if I try to access last two costumes from the character selection menu.

This isn't a clean PM installation, though. Tried to slap it in bit by bit manually, since I dind't felt like editing the common5 all over again after all the costume and music changes I made.

I didn't replace the common5 file.

Any idea what I did wrong?
You should have added those 2 costumes' CSPs instead of just replacing already existing CSPs with other 8 costumes' CSPs. Do that by importing those CSPs as CMPR textures into MiscData[22] (or 21, i don't remember).
Because it wasn't answered the first time and I don't plan on reading the entire topic for this answer, do you plan on making Ridley compatible as an add-on with the latest PM Launcher for easy switching?
Yes. Its done actually (by @Shiro_Neku). Just need to test it.
Oh, shoot! I did forget something! ><

@ KingJigglypuff KingJigglypuff Ridley's Nair needs to be significantly tweaked. It needs to be quicker, cover both of his sides, and lacking a spike (seriously, I've easily crippled Charizard at low percentages with that blade)
Wouldn't it become exactly like Charizard's NAir if that will be done?

@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros I forgot to buy you a digital cake, nor do I know how to mod a birthday hat on top of Ridley.
BTW Bagan.

Happy Birthday! :happysheep:

Just pretend the 27 is a 15. :laugh:
Thanks.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Wouldn't it become exactly like Charizard's NAir if that will be done?.
So? It's not like he automatically becomes a clone if he shares one or two moves; he doesn't need to be absolutely positively original in every way. Plus, there are plenty of borrowed tilts and arials in other characters.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So? It's not like he automatically becomes a clone if he shares one or two moves; he doesn't need to be absolutely positively original in every way. Plus, there are plenty of borrowed tilts and arials in other characters.
Its better to have more things original, even if those original attacks aren't exactly the most useful. Borrowing someone's attacks is not a good thing no matter how little was borrowed. And even those characters you talk about have those attacks used for different purpose and have different animations (at least more different than NAir you suggested).

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Its better to have more things original, even if those original attacks aren't exactly the most useful. Borrowing something is just lazyness and lack of creativity even if its just 1 or 2 attacks.
Borrowing also helps out in balancing and asthetics; it isn't always a lazy resort. With his current Nair, not only is he defenseless from behind, but it can spike at unfairly low persentages. From every other Nair I've seen, it covers both of their sides. It is one of the few options to resort to when launched, and being chased down by your enemy. Because of this, I feel Ridley, in retrospect, needs to keep that balancing tradition.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Borrowing also helps out in balancing and asthetics; it isn't always a lazy resort. With his current Nair, not only is he defenseless from behind, but it can spike at unfairly low persentages. From every other Nair I've seen, it covers both of their sides. It is one of the few options to resort to when launched, and being chased down by your enemy. Because of this, I feel Ridley, in retrospect, needs to keep that balancing tradition.
Tell that to Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon and Marth. Especially Ganondorf - his spike is a guaranteed KO off-stage and there isn't much risk using it.
There is a type of NAir like that on Samus and Captain Falcon and they are focused on the front only. He has FAir to repel chases or at least Up B.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Tell that to Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon and Marth. Especially Ganondorf - his spike is a guaranteed KO off-stage and there isn't much risk using it.
There is a type of NAir like that on Samus and Captain Falcon and they are focused on the front only. He has FAir to repel chases or at least Up B.
...I'm saying that for a neutral spike that powerful, it is both OP and awkward. Giving Ridley a 360º tail spin really would look best on him. I'd personally say give it a vote on what others think.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...I'm saying that for a neutral spike that powerful, it is both OP and awkward. Giving Ridley a 360º tail spin really would look best on him. I'd personally say give it a vote on what others think.
I'll bring up Ganondorf again, who has higher knockback, damage and range on his spike (pretty much his entire body is a hitbox as far as i remember and even if its just his legs, it still is a lot more than Ridley's tail spike) while having less lag on his attack.
In Super Metroid his tail goes 360 so I see that happening
It does so only when he winds it up for tail strike like on this mod's Side Smash (except its always aimed at Samus in Super Metroid).

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I'll bring up Ganondorf again, who has higher knockback, damage and range on his spike (pretty much his entire body is a hitbox as far as i remember and even if its just his legs, it still is a lot more than Ridley's tail spike) while having less lag on his attack.
It's still too easy to spike, still; dramatic ajustments need to be made.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It's still too easy to spike, still; dramatic ajustments need to be made.
There are enough of other attacks that are easier to spike with (DK's FAir, Diddy Kong's DAir, Marth's DAir, Ganondorf's DAir, Captain Falcon's DAir, Samus' DAir, Falco's DAir, etc). They may have less range (except for Ganondorf's DAir and technically, Ridley has less range than most of them since only his tail spike...spikes opponent), but they don't require speciffic spacing (except for Marth's DAir) to spike and most of them are stronger than Ridley's. Im using PM versions of those characters as examples.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

It does so only when he winds it up for tail strike like on this mod's Side Smash (except its always aimed at Samus in Super Metroid).
Then I'd make it like Rosalina, that covers every side other than the bottom of her but it's pretty slow

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I mean NEUTRAL arial! The sweetspots and knockback make it OP as Ridley's NEUTRAL arial!...

I need sleep ><

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I mean NEUTRAL arial! The sweetspots and knockback make it OP as Ridley's NEUTRAL arial!...
Look at the post above. Doesn't matters which attack it is. What matters is that there are enough of other characters with spikes/meteor smashes that are better than Ridley's. And its less of a sweetspot and more of a normal hitbox while everything else is a sourspot, remember? He MUST hit with tail spike to...spike opponent. Those i listed don't have to do anything that speciffic except for Marth and maybe Falco (not sure).

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Look at the post above. Doesn't matters which attack it is. What matters is that there are enough of other characters with spikes/meteor smashes that are better than Ridley's. And its less of a sweetspot and more of a normal hitbox while everything else is a sourspot, remember? He MUST hit with tail spike to...spike opponent. Those i listed don't have to do anything that speciffic except for Marth and maybe Falco (not sure).
...There is no convincing you. Are just mad because you found out I went back to being a toobigot?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...There is no convincing you. Are just mad because you found out I went back to being a toobigot?
This is of no concern to me. You're here and you said nothing offensive, so, you care for Ridley or at least this mod. Doesn't matters if you're a "toobigot" or not. I can be convinced if proper evidence is brought up and i saw none yet. As TehEpicRyuga said, go to sleep and continue later if you want to. Lack of it can do wonders with someone's brain (most of obvious balancing issues of v1.0 like glide's ridicolous speed are result of this)
While Bagan can be stubborn at times,
Im not stubborn!...
...right?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is of no concern to me. You're here and you said nothing offensive, so, you care for Ridley or at least this mod. Doesn't matters if you're a "toobigot" or not.

Im not stubborn!...
...right?
You can be a little stubborn, for instance, how many complaints did you get about Ridley's mobility before saying "Maybe I should decrease it"? Everyone has character flaws, and I'm also very stubborn

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You can be a little stubborn, for instance, how many complaints did you get about Ridley's mobility before saying "Maybe I should decrease it"? Everyone has character flaws, and I'm also very stubborn
I still don't get it whats that bad about it and decreasing it will require buffing other things in order to prevent him from being bad like Melee Mewtwo without ATs, making both aerial attacks and ground attacks more even, kinda breaking the whole point of the character. I'll just do it because everyone wants it to happen.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I still don't get it whats that bad about it and decreasing it will require buffing other things in order to prevent him from being bad like Melee Mewtwo without ATs, making both aerial attacks and ground attacks more even, kinda breaking the whole point of the character. I'll just do it because everyone wants it to happen.
The problem people have is that Ridley moves too fast, he's faster than Jigglypuff, combine that with his seriously strong aerials, and that's a bit too much to take down in the air, Mewtwo's problem was mostly that his attacks weren't strong enough to compensate his slow movement and low weight

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
What's "bad" about it is the fact that he feels extremly unnatural while also just looking really silly if you ask me.
He's gonna feel so much better to play once you decrease his aerial mobility to be like, "above average" at best.
This Jigglypuff-esque mobility just does not fit at all.

Top Bottom