• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It begins
Never would have thought a PM developer would do this. The only things that bother me are how much his tail goes up (it will surely clip through platforms), running animation (feels rather static and wings just look off) and jab (too similar to Bowser's). Other than that, its just awesome.
It's kinda strange seeing cartoon-ish animations with a rather serious-looking model though.
Samus, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, etc. have cartoon-ish animations too. Thats just SSB's artstyle i guess. Those serious characters have one main difference in animations when compared to characters like Mario and Diddy Kong - their body parts always keep same size outside of one animation (getting sucked in by Kirby). That all that should be kept when animating them.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Two PM developers are woking on things for Ridley.... Caution, the Ridley hype has reached critical mass XD lol

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Man, this looks incredible. The new idle stance looks extremely badass and fitting. It emits an extremely brutal, but still calculating aura...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh. If that's the case, then I was also welcomed into the PMDT as an animator. But I've also done a few GFX edits to various characters as well.
Good to know.
I recall some people ported Ridley to work for other characters besides Pit as well.

They still working?
I think yes. Before those ports can be done, however, main one needs to be finished so there won't be any changes required to every single port done.
I'm still curious about that rumor of Ridley or Skull Kid, will probably take end 2015 to find out at it's earliest
As far as i remember, Skull Kid was confirmed as a bait for the leaker.

Last edited:

SyphoV2

Smash Cadet
NNID
SyphoV2
3DS FC
1504-5926-1350
Is this Ridley mod the only unofficial project that PM members have worked on?

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure you can find unofficial mods for either Brawl or PM from pretty much every member of the PMDT, either before or after joining, and maybe also some collabs.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
KJP's been working on Raptor both before and after joining PM. He also worked on T-Rekt before and after joining PM. He's working on a bunch of personal stuff.

As far as PSA/Animators go, he's the only one that I've seen really working outside of PM. Others are either using Pseudonyms and are pretending to be East Asian people or they only focus on PM.

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
Like drogoth said, I've been working on projects before joining the PMDT and after joining the PMDT.

KJP's been working on Raptor both before and after joining PM. He also worked on T-Rekt before and after joining PM. He's working on a bunch of personal stuff.
Don't forget Solo Charizard. :V

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Don't forget Solo Charizard. :V
And Xenomorph (not done yet).
...and i think Sceptile (not done yet)...
...and maybe Deoxys (not done yet), i don't remember...
TOTALLY NOT SOME KIND OF ADVERTISING AND TOTALLY NOT A JOKE.
...for 0.99$ at your local stores...

Anyway, here is a question: does Ridley really needs running speed buff or not? Right now, its barely higher than Mario's.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, here is a question: does Ridley really needs running speed buff or not? Right now, its barely higher than Mario's.
I'm gonna say no; Ridley is already extremely mobile in the air and has excellent range - he needs to have particular downfalls in some areas if he is to be balanced.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm gonna say no; Ridley is already extremely mobile in the air and has excellent range - he needs to have particular downfalls in some areas if he is to be balanced.
Air mobility will be nerfed though (its same as Wario's instead of being noticably higher than Jigglypuff's), along with fastfall speed (it will no longer cover up his low falling speed).

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Air mobility will be nerfed though (its same as Wario's instead of being noticably higher than Jigglypuff's), along with fastfall speed (it will no longer cover up his low falling speed).
I'm definitely looking forward to those alterations... but without the ability to properly test how those changes affect his overall approach it is difficult to assess how run speed factors into this based on speculation (not to mention the various other updates you're introducing).

I would suggest waiting until the release of the next version before making additional tweaks to properties outside aerial mobility and attacks, that way you can get more comprehensive feedback on the specific areas you changed. Given the amount of users here interested you have a fairly large pool of people willing to test new builds, but if too much is changed between updates it may become difficult for some to properly convey which new aspects in particular are actually conducive to making Ridley balanced.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm definitely looking forward to those alterations... but without the ability to properly test how those changes affect his overall approach it is difficult to assess how run speed factors into this based on speculation (not to mention the various other updates you're introducing).

I would suggest waiting until the release of the next version before making additional tweaks to properties outside aerial mobility and attacks, that way you can get more comprehensive feedback on the specific areas you changed. Given the amount of users here interested you have a fairly large pool of people willing to test new builds, but if too much is changed between updates it may become difficult for some to properly convey which new aspects in particular are actually conducive to making Ridley balanced.
You actually can test at least one major change (aerial mobility nerf): https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeh78n3ybzf08vp/FitPit.pac?dl=0 WoP is still possible and usually requires only 2 jumps (normal jump to start it and 1 air jump in the middle of it). Its not as bad as it was before (for me at least).

Last edited:

SyphoV2

Smash Cadet
NNID
SyphoV2
3DS FC
1504-5926-1350
Will the add-on file be available with the new release of Ridley? I think it'd be easier to switch between 3.5 and Ridley. I'm not too good at the precise stuff so I had just replaced codes and project m folders before.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice

Hola, Hola,Hola, someone is working on a xenomorph mod, I must fly away to that yesterday

drogoth232

Smash Lord
If you've seen his list of what he wants done

You'd want to quit lol

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Since there's a new running animation, what will the dash attack look like?
Right now, there is no new running animation (even if i would have access to those animations, they would look noticably better than other animations), but i guess it will remain same.
If you've seen his list of what he wants done

You'd want to quit lol
I saw it already. Thats just recent stuff.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
It begins

You've got two PM developers working on things for you. :p
Two PM developers are woking on things for Ridley.... Caution, the Ridley hype has reached critical mass XD lol

Give it too me! GIVE IT ALL TO ME! GIMMIE THE IDLE! GIMMIE THE DASH! GIMMIE THE CRAWL, AND THE FINAL SMASH! GIMMIE THE OTHER M BEAK ON HIS OTHER M ALT! GIMMIE THE META BAGANLEY!
GIMMIE IT EVERYTHIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!

Does Ridley really need a running speed buff or not? Right now, its barely higher than Mario's.
I always like looking at Ridley as an arial Little Mac, so I'm kinda torn between his gliding dash, and my suggestion for a DK-style dash. Any thoughts on it, PM guys?

Last edited:

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
This is kinda weird, but last night I had this dream of your Ridley mod. In it, whenever Ridley did his pummel attack, he would be healed for the same amount of damage that he dealt with each bite. Didn't Ridley restore his strength in some games or the manga by eating corpses? If so, that might've been the inspiration for what happened in that dream. Whether or not you implement that is up to you, but I think it would be a nice little touch to add in there, if possible.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This is kinda weird, but last night I had this dream of your Ridley mod. In it, whenever Ridley did his pummel attack, he would be healed for the same amount of damage that he dealt with each bite. Didn't Ridley restore his strength in some games or the manga by eating corpses? If so, that might've been the inspiration for what happened in that dream. Whether or not you implement that is up to you, but I think it would be a nice little touch to add in there, if possible.
It was like that before first release, but was removed since it didn't felt right.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
I'm very impressed by your Ridley mod BaganSmash. I can tell you put your heart and soul into it to prove Ridley can be playable and still feel like Ridley. I applaud you for your wonderful heavy work. As a guy that's falling in love with the metroid series and enjoying Super Metroid and the Prime trilogy a lot right now and awaits zero missions release on the U.S. virtual console. I feel the metroid series deserves better and has a lot of great music and evironment to for stages. I'm impressed by the project m animations as well. You Ridley fans deserve better and glad your a conduit of light so space pirates don't falter.

I think a great stage would be crateria because of the beautiful environments seen in super metroid and it would be cool to have bosses like Kraids and Phantoon pop out and attack or work like how Kraids does in Brinstar depths. One more thing, do you guys know where I can find a new and special Ridey thread or get an invite if it is private? I would like to join.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm very impressed by your Ridley mod BaganSmash. I can tell you put your heart and soul into it to prove Ridley can be playable and still feel like Ridley. I applaud you for your wonderful heavy work. As a guy that's falling in love with the metroid series and enjoying Super Metroid and the Prime trilogy a lot right now and awaits zero missions release on the U.S. virtual console. I feel the metroid series deserves better and has a lot of great music and evironment to for stages. I'm impressed by the project m animations as well. You Ridley fans deserve better and glad your a conduit of light so space pirates don't falter.

I think a great stage would be crateria because of the beautiful environments seen in super metroid and it would be cool to have bosses like Kraids and Phantoon pop out and attack or work like how Kraids does in Brinstar depths. One more thing, do you guys know where I can find a new and special Ridey thread or get an invite if it is private? I would like to join.
There's the Space Pirates' Luxurious Mansion, where pretty much most, if not all the Ridley fans on this site have migrated to after October 23. You'll need to PM one of the mods there in order to get permission to join.

MetaFalcario

Smash Rookie
I'm still loving this mod, though I noticed two minor bugs with the most recent update: He can't break metal boxes with his dair, and if you set him to "jump" or "walk" in training, he'll start fighting back once he reaches 100% damage. Again, they're minor and don't affect professional play, so I don't really think they need to be a priority if another update comes around.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm still loving this mod, though I noticed two minor bugs with the most recent update: He can't break metal boxes with his dair, and if you set him to "jump" or "walk" in training, he'll start fighting back once he reaches 100% damage. Again, they're minor and don't affect professional play, so I don't really think they need to be a priority if another update comes around.
Ridley ain't having your **** and will smack you around regardless of what he's told

MetaFalcario

Smash Rookie
Ridley ain't having your **** and will smack you around regardless of what he's told
The funny thing is I just tested it in training with every character now, and I found that the only character he does this to is Samus.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
First one most likely happens because DAir is not considered to be direct attack (whoops) and second one...i don't know, i used PM Pit's AI with few minor changes (mostly attack spacing).
The funny thing is I just tested it in training with every character now, and I found that the only character he does this to is Samus.
Now thats weird.

Top Bottom