• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
every move doesn't have to be from his games, look and ganon or wario, they have like only one attack from there game...and i still wanna know what was used in the stream
I know (and its not like everyone is fine with those 2 characters having it that way). Its just better to have it that way. You know, that good kind of fanservice and everything. And which stream and what exactly are you talking about.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
every move doesn't have to be from his games, look and ganon or wario, they have like only one attack from there game.
Ok Wario has never really had a crazy load of moves in his games they could use so they had to make up some stuff, Ridley has a LOT of moves on the other hand so he shouldn't have that many made up moves

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Stuff clips through, yes. But its not like Bowser's head and upper part of torso constantly clips through platforms, isn't it? Ridley's tail clipping is nearly that bad considering how long tail blade is.
It's not as bad as, say, his head or wings going through a platform or something though. That'd be a problem.

The tail blade is a minor flaw to me.

But you are the boss, of course. Your call.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Achieving greatness is fine, but achieving perfection will wind up screwing you over. That's all I can say really.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Achieving greatness is fine, but achieving perfection will wind up screwing you over. That's all I can say really.
Yeah, right, but i want to at least be as close to perfection as possible. I want this to feel like its official. I want it to feel natural. Right now, he doesn't.
Can't wait to see how Rudkey plays in the next update!
Who is Rudkey? Sounds like a rude person.

Last edited:

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, right, but i want to at least be as close to perfection as possible. I want this to feel like its official. I want it to feel natural. Right now, he doesn't.

Who is Rudkey? Sounds like a rude person.
Whoops. Meant to type Ridley, not Rudkey. Didn't notice that typo when I posted that.

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
Pretty weird typo. It sounds like real name, even if its a bit weird.
Hey Bagan, I may not know anything about animating stuff or whatever and I think your doing a great job, but I have some suggestions on how to balance Ridley to be a more viable and balanced but not broken character in PM if you would like to read them:

First thing I think you should do is nerf Ridley's recovery just a LITTLE bit, perhaps by making his total number of jumps from 5 to 4 (same number as Meta knight's and Pit's in PM 3.5) and make his forward B command glide render himself helpless if he acts out of it with an attack (like 3.5 Charizard). This way he keeps his amazing recovery that makes him Ridley without making his recovery broken. Next you should consider changing his up special to something more traditional similar to Charizards up B spinning drill but make it so that he can do it in any direction within a 180 degree angle above him (like Pit and Dark Pit's up B in Sm4sh). I also noticed that you rated his Ground Combat as a 4/10. While I get this is for balancing reasons, you should consider buffing up his ground combat a little bit more in order to not make him look "gimmicky" like a reverse little mac. Then I noticed that his Aerial combat is a whopping 10/10. You may be able to compensate for his buffed ground attacks by slightly nerfing his aerial attacks in power. I also think you should maybe shrink his tail's length just a little bit more because his range is simply broken. Finally I think you should consider making Ridley's weight heavier to the point where it is a little bit less than Bowser's and about as much as DK's. While this may make him harder to launch off the stage and KO, he already gets knocked to the edge of the blastzone and subsequently get KOed relatively easily due to his large size taking up so much space in the blast Zone. you also have to remember that since he is the biggest character, he can get hit and comboed really easily so he really needs to be buffed in weight. I hope you consider some of these suggestions!

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
I'm happy if you are haha.
If it was inspired by your work however its only fair to give a mention to your work. :-)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey Bagan, I may not know anything about animating stuff or whatever and I think your doing a great job, but I have some suggestions on how to balance Ridley to be a more viable and balanced but not broken character in PM if you would like to read them:

First thing I think you should do is nerf Ridley's recovery just a LITTLE bit, perhaps by making his number of jumps from 5 to 4 (like Meta knight's and Pit's) and make his forward B command glide render himself helpless if he acts out of it with an attack (like 3.5 Charizard). This way he keeps his amazing recovery that makes him Ridley without making his recovery broken. Next you should consider changing his up special to something more traditional similar to Charizards up B spinning drill but make it so that he can do it in any direction within a 180 degree angle above him (like Pit and Dark Pit's up B in Sm4sh). I also noticed that you rated his Ground Combat as a 4/10. While I get this is for balancing reasons, you should consider buffing up his ground combat a little bit more in order to not make him look "gimmicky" like a reverse little mac. Then I noticed that his Aerial combat is a whopping 10/10. You may be able to compensate for his buffed ground attacks by slightly nerfing his aerial attacks in power. I also think you should maybe shrink his tail's length just a little bit more because his range is simply broken. Finally I think you should consider making Ridley's weight heavier to the point where it is a little bit less than Bowser's and about as much as DK's. While this may make him harder to launch off the stage and KO, he already gets knocked to the edge of the blastzone and subsequently get KOed relatively easily due to his large size taking up so much space in the blast Zone. you also have to remember that since he is the biggest character, he can get hit and comboed really easily so he really needs to be buffed in weight. I hope you consider some of these suggestions!
He already has 4 jumps. I left his glide this way because its exactly like that for Pit and adds to the whole air=good, ground=meh thing. Up B is getting changed, but it won't be controllable like that since that will either take up a lot of space or look stiff (as in no movement at all) and we don't want that, do we? His ground combat rating is outdated (i haven't updated them since 1.0 or even earlier) and so is aerial combat rating. Now its not as bad since knockback and damage on ground attacks were increased and aerial attacks are now slower or work differently (DAir and NAir are most obvious examples). Tail's range can't be decreased anymore without his tail getting warped badly. Model itself does not allows that. And even then, its not that much longer than Dedede (who technically has more range on attacks since he actually swings his hammer upward and downward instead of just sideways and thrusting it). As for weight, it is that low to balance out range, aerial mobility, recovering abilities, damage, knockback, etc., it also makes sense for anorexic flying creature to be light. And just to be more unique.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
OH i thought he was just said something random. is there a download link i could use?

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Somethin gI forgot to add.

Now I haven't played any early Metroid game,s becuause I had a somewhat poor childhood.

Is his up smash supposed to be this weird?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
OH i thought he was just said something random. is there a download link i could use?
For Maya?

You want to start animating?

I'd recommend BrawlBox to start animating. It's interface is relatively simple and it's great to start out with.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
For Maya?

You want to start animating?

I'd recommend BrawlBox to start animating. It's interface is relatively simple and it's great to start out with.
Same here. BUT you have to manually keep feet on the ground because BrawlBox currently does not has that fancy IK rig stuff. And it has no real rendering options either (it does not properly displays speculars, rimlight effects, refs, etc.).
Somethin gI forgot to add.

Now I haven't played any early Metroid game,s becuause I had a somewhat poor childhood.

Is his up smash supposed to be this weird?
Well, i just couldn't take anything out of Metroid games that could work properly as Up Smash, so, i used this. I don't know what exactly do you mean by "weird".

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Same here. BUT you have to manually keep feet on the ground because BrawlBox currently does not has that fancy IK rig stuff.
Learning to keep feet stable as an animation goes on is a basic skill to have, to be honest. In my experiences with Maya, even with bone pinning, I've had cases where the foot/feet has/have moved and I need to reposition them.

Granted, it's much easier in Maya, but learning it in BBox really helps you grow as an animator.

And it has no real rendering options either (it does not properly displays speculars, rimlight effects, refs, etc.)
No one really uses BBox to render. It's either Marmoset Toolbag or Blender.

In both of these cases BBox is the easier place to start. When you get the hang of the ropes, then you can move onto the more advanced programs. Even after using it for like a year non-stop, I'm still learning new stuff about Maya.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Learning to keep feet stable as an animation goes on is a basic skill to have, to be honest. In my experiences with Maya, even with bone pinning, I've had cases where the foot/feet has/have moved and I need to reposition them.

Granted, it's much easier in Maya, but learning it in BBox really helps you grow as an animator.
Doesn't makes it any less of a pain to do. Especially when you can't freely move toes or foot is just weird in design.
It's either Marmoset Toolbag
Haven't heard of Marmoset Toolbag.

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
He already has 4 jumps. I left his glide this way because its exactly like that for Pit and adds to the whole air=good, ground=meh thing. Up B is getting changed, but it won't be controllable like that since that will either take up a lot of space or look stiff (as in no movement at all) and we don't want that, do we? His ground combat rating is outdated (i haven't updated them since 1.0 or even earlier) and so is aerial combat rating. Now its not as bad since knockback and damage on ground attacks were increased and aerial attacks are now slower or work differently (DAir and NAir are most obvious examples). Tail's range can't be decreased anymore without his tail getting warped badly. Model itself does not allows that. And even then, its not that much longer than Dedede (who technically has more range on attacks since he actually swings his hammer upward and downward instead of just sideways and thrusting it). As for weight, it is that low to balance out range, aerial mobility, recovering abilities, damage, knockback, etc., it also makes sense for anorexic flying creature to be light. And just to be more unique.
I agree with most of what you're saying, but even if he is an anorexic, realistically Ridley should be a LITTLE bit heavier than a 26-year-old overweight Italian plumber. I'd probably revise what I said earlier and instead suggest to make him about as heavy as Link/Ike (Medium-Heavy) rather than just Medium weight in order to still be relatively easy to launch but heavy enough to be called Ridley. It's fine if you can't though, as these are just my suggestions.

Last edited:

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
I agree with most of what you're saying, but even if he is an anorexic, realistically Ridley should be a LITTLE bit heavier than a 26-year-old overweight Italian plumber. I'd probably revise what I said earlier and instead suggest to make him about as heavy as Link/Ike (Medium-Heavy) rather than just Medium weight in order to still be relatively easy to launch but heavy enough to be called Ridley. It's fine if you can't though, as these are just my suggestions.
>Realistically.
>Smash.

(Sorry)

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Well, i just couldn't take anything out of Metroid games that could work properly as Up Smash, so, i used this. I don't know what exactly do you mean by "weird".
Well, it hits anything around him, then sends them upward.
It's really quiet.
I feel no "Power" from it. It's a rather bland attack.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey, does anyone know who made the release trailer for this mod? I need help making a trailer!
Which one? There have been 2 of those (one by FrameZeroGaming/SoulOfSmash and other one by Warzenschwein).
Well, it hits anything around him, then sends them upward.
It's really quiet.
I feel no "Power" from it. It's a rather bland attack.
Well, he uses his wings for that and they are thin, so, i don't think it should have as much "power" as, say, his Down Smash has. There isn't anything that can really be used in its place though.
Then again, 26-year-old overweight Italian plumber isn't a feather either. Maybe i will make him slightly heavier. I already made fastfalling barely noticable (it isn't as bad as in FrameZeroGaming's stream, but not very useful), so, he is vertically easier to KO now (if he tries to use attacks like DSpecial, it won't help him because of landing lag).
his attacks have too much range to them so i couldn't go in for a grab if I wanted too Sakurai was right too big
Its around Dedede's range, but without all of that power and you can exploit lag in his attacks to grab him unless you use Samus, Link, Toon Link, etc.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
**** it just by watching 3 videos on how to use brawl box i've decided to never try making anything again

Top Bottom