• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Okay, okay. I'm calm, now...

So you mean you can't even ask SchAlternate SchAlternate to fix it for you? ...Well, now we know why his beak is all messed up in Smash 4; his model from the Direct was smaller, but they grew him back up, and the growth defect was a case of Woody Woodpecker...

Just...can you please find something to add? I can't believe I'm now begging, but I guess because we're now friends, I want it to feel like our mod, even if mine, or our (the watchers'), suggestions are minimal.

.....Still goin' fo' 'dat crawl...
SchAlternate can't fix models. And his model in SSB4 is just Other M model re-rigged with slightly edited textures that were severely (by 300%) decreased in size. Beak is messed up because apparently, there was one dumba** who decided "Hey, lets give Ridley mouth that opens by moving BOTH jaws! That surely will be intimidating!". He must be fired.
Im not sure i can use anything.
Crawl will first require modules to be edited. Even then, it may not really be useful. Crawls are used to avoid attacks that hit high enough while still being able to move. It won't help Ridley unless he will do it like Snake does (completly lying down on the floor), but it will be ridicolous (yet funny because Metroid can't crawl, but Ridley MOTHERF_____ can). Bowser has useless crawl in official games, but it was fixed with addition of armor in PM. It still is rather useless since other movement options are better, even simple jumps.
Now I know how melee players feel like lol

It's both very good and kinda bad that hacking is as easy as it is. But this isn't the thread for it.

Any coding problems of late?
Its more of a good thing than bad thing since because of that, Brawl is still alive and we have f***ing PM.
Not really. Only things that bother me about coding is how claw swipe GFX should be placed and rotated (last part is harder because BrawlBox has messed up axis order, so, X axis may actually be Z axis and vise versa). Thats all i remember at least.

Anyway, NAir:

Ridley uses spikes on his back and tail to basically become a chainsaw blade (chain?). It hits 6 times, with first 5 hits being weak with fixed knockback. Final hit is stronger, but not by much. It certainly KOs at 300%, most likely earlier, but its not a reliable finisher. I'd use it for racking up damage than anything else, but im not a competetive player, so, maybe its actually very useful. No sourspots.
Reworked DAir:

Ridley uses one of his iconic attacks - pogo tail. Now it actually is a pogo tail and works exactly like in Metroid games. Meteor smashes (or spikes, i still don't know real difference IN THE CODING) shortly before going down. Otherwise, just launches opponent up like in SSBC. Goes through opponents if A button is held. Can move around freely unless he bounces off the ground. After falling for 1-2 seconds, he stops and goes into falling state. Not that it will help most of the time.
Also, now gifs have higher quality because of higher framerate.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Meteor Smash is a move that sends your foe straight to the ground when in the air, if there's no stage to land on, buh bye
No, you can meteor cancel it. It basically cancels out momentum after few frames by using jump or up B at certain time. Spikes, on the other hand, are one-hit KO off-stage unless damage is way too low. No way to save yourself unless someone or something else helps you somehow (for example, hitting you with something that launches you up or just cancels out your momentum like Falco's laser, but that probably won't happen).
I'm not in charge of Ridley's model; I simply remake the textures (btw, I'm working on the textures again, I'll try to send them to Bagan later).
And you haven't even notified me of that?! TRAITOR!
...im curious what exactly you are working on.

Sorry for not combining this all in 1 post, but it is really painful to work with mouse pad or whatever that thing is called when you are used to normal mouse and it got jammed again.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Crawl will first require modules to be edited. Even then, it may not really be useful. Crawls are used to avoid attacks that hit high enough while still being able to move. It won't help Ridley unless he will do it like Snake does (completly lying down on the floor), but it will be ridicolous (yet funny because Metroid can't crawl, but Ridley MOTHERF_____ can). Bowser has useless crawl in official games, but it was fixed with addition of armor in PM. It still is rather useless since other movement options are better, even simple jumps.
I never said I wanted to add Ridley's crawl for competitive uses. I suggest it because it's an asthetic nod to Other M's Ridley practically being fed to you. To me, it doesn't matter how competitively viable it is, but it will at least flesh him out more as a playable character; some more stuff to make him unique. Besides, if he's getting a new sprint animation, I would still miss the old one, and would want to recycle the old one for something new.

Also, PAC-MAN's crawl makes me wanna give everyone a crawl.

:o

...Visor is blue instead of green and pink armor instead of lavender 0/10 I am dissapointment.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
"I wanted it to be a surprise!"
~Last words of SchAlternate, executed for treason.

It's nothing really special, honestly. Just a bit of updating.
RIDLEY CONFIRMED TO HAVE HD 9001x9001 TEXTURES IN-PROGRESS.
...updating textures, huh?
I never said I wanted to add Ridley's crawl for competitive uses. I suggest it because it's an asthetic nod to Other M's Ridley practically being fed to you. To me, it doesn't matter how competitively viable it is, but it will at least flesh him out more as a playable character; some more stuff to make him unique. Besides, if he's getting a new sprint animation, I would still miss the old one, and would want to recycle the old one for something new.
Er...its already used as running animation, so, why have another crawl? And about that animation revamp thing - he said he wants to move current running animation to one of the walking animations. I think its far from a good decision, but he pulls the strings in that case.

Oh, @ drogoth232 drogoth232 , i completly forgot about one main problem that has been here since Ridley was over Lucario - he is not affected by terrain. If i use Slope Contour Stand code, it messes up the way his feet are placed, but i can't leave him without that because otherwise, his legs clip through ground. I don't know much about that code though.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
"I wanted it to be a surprise!"
~Last words of SchAlternate, executed for treason.

It's nothing really special, honestly. Just a bit of updating.
...Did I do thaaaat?:troll:

Er...its already used as running animation, so, why have another crawl? And about that animation revamp thing - he said he wants to move current running animation to one of the walking animations. I think its far from a good decision, but he pulls the strings in that case.
Whoops, I mean make his old run animation a crawl animation after a new run animation replaces the old run animation. I thought sprint and run were used for the same term.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Whoops, I mean make his old run animation a crawl animation after a new run animation replaces the old run animation. I thought sprint and run were used for the same term.
Well, then there is problem that SilentDo0m wants to move crawl to one of walking animations, which means that if i will use it for crawl, then there will be missing slow for walking animation.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well, then there is problem that SilentDo0m wants to move crawl to one of walking animations, which means that if i will use it for crawl, then there will be missing slow for walking animation.
Have you talked to him about a different walking animation? It might work with his idle, but I'm actually not so sure. If a compromise can't be made on that, then I will accept the walk animation he has in mind instead of a crawl.

Wait! Maybe he can just stick to the ground like a spider for his crouch like Bowser or Snake, and just slowly scoot himself across the ground as a crawl instead of stomping his arms down like he does in his current run animation! I think I found a new compromise! ^^

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Have you talked to him about a different walking animation? It might work with his idle, but I'm actually not so sure. If a compromise can't be made on that, then I will accept the walk animation he has in mind instead of a crawl.

Wait! Maybe he can just stick to the ground like a spider for his crouch like Bowser or Snake, and just slowly scoot himself across the ground as a crawl instead of stomping his arms down like he does in his current run animation! I think I found a new compromise! ^^
Yeah. Didn't really worked.

...that would look ridicolous, but hey, xenomorphs do that too.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Yeah. Didn't really worked.

...that would look ridicolous, but hey, xenomorphs do that too.
His crawl would look something like Greninja's if we were to stick with his suggested walk animation... Okay, not with his butt and legs in the air.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Xenomorphs aren't ridiculous and Ridley's based on them, so I think it works
They don't have very long arms and giant wings though.
His crawl would look something like Greninja's if we were to stick with his suggested walk animation... Okay, not with his butt and legs in the air.
His arms are too long for that pose to make any sense since that can be caused only by legs being too long to bend properly under the body or something. So, his body won't be kept...that way. I think his running animation (but with his body being lower to the ground, but not enough to touch it) would work just fine.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Oh, @ drogoth232 drogoth232 , i completly forgot about one main problem that has been here since Ridley was over Lucario - he is not affected by terrain. If i use Slope Contour Stand code, it messes up the way his feet are placed, but i can't leave him without that because otherwise, his legs clip through ground. I don't know much about that code though.
The only thing I can suggest is to start playing around with the Slope Contour Stand values and see what happens.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
SchAlternate can't fix models. And his model in SSB4 is just Other M model re-rigged with slightly edited textures that were severely (by 300%) decreased in size. Beak is messed up because apparently, there was one dumba** who decided "Hey, lets give Ridley mouth that opens by moving BOTH jaws! That surely will be intimidating!". He must be fired.
Im not sure i can use anything.

Its more of a good thing than bad thing since because of that, Brawl is still alive and we have f***ing PM.
Not really. Only things that bother me about coding is how claw swipe GFX should be placed and rotated (last part is harder because BrawlBox has messed up axis order, so, X axis may actually be Z axis and vise versa). Thats all i remember at least.

Anyway, NAir:

Ridley uses spikes on his back and tail to basically become a chainsaw blade (chain?). It hits 6 times, with first 5 hits being weak with fixed knockback. Final hit is stronger, but not by much. It certainly KOs at 300%, most likely earlier, but its not a reliable finisher. I'd use it for racking up damage than anything else, but im not a competetive player, so, maybe its actually very useful. No sourspots.
Reworked DAir:

Ridley uses one of his iconic attacks - pogo tail. Now it actually is a pogo tail and works exactly like in Metroid games. Meteor smashes (or spikes, i still don't know real difference IN THE CODING) shortly before going down. Otherwise, just launches opponent up like in SSBC. Goes through opponents if A button is held. Can move around freely unless he bounces off the ground. After falling for 1-2 seconds, he stops and goes into falling state. Not that it will help most of the time.
Also, now gifs have higher quality because of higher framerate.
Ridley the Hedgehog confirmed! :4sonic:

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
I'm new to this thing, but I'm assuming that to get this working with Dolphin, I will have to edit the files as described and rebuild the ISO?

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I'm new to this thing, but I'm assuming that to get this working with Dolphin, I will have to edit the files as described and rebuild the ISO?
Yes. However, if you plan on downloading more mods and whatnot it might be a better idea to load PM from Gecko/NeoGamma/etc with a virtual SD card, since otherwise you'll have to rebuild the ISO everytime you want to change something.

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice
That down pogo move with the tail, can you just spammed that? Cause I think that might be a problem for characters that can't jump up high enough to knock him off it

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The only thing I can suggest is to start playing around with the Slope Contour Stand values and see what happens.
They all don't work well, from 0 to 6.
Is netplay still possible with that method? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot regarding modding with Dolphin.
If you use any mods (custom music, model/texture swaps for characters, CSP (and things like that) replacement, etc. are still allowed, but not stage replacements, PSAs, animation edits, etc) outside of default Project M build or normal Brawl iso, no. Well, it would still work, but with desync unless. Thats the only thing im sure about.
That down pogo move with the tail, can you just spammed that? Cause I think that might be a problem for characters that can't jump up high enough to knock him off it
I thought of that too, so, i just changed animation for it:

So, now it has landing lag too...or something like that. Its a lot lower than before, but attack itself isn't as powerful, so, its fine i guess. Looks weird, but its like that in 2D Metroid games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

If you use any mods (custom music, model/texture swaps for characters, CSP (and things like that) replacement, etc. are still allowed, but not stage replacements, PSAs, animation edits, etc) outside of default Project M build or normal Brawl iso, no. Well, it would still work, but with desync unless. Thats the only thing im sure about.

So, now it has landing lag too...or something like that. Its a lot lower than before, but attack itself isn't as powerful, so, its fine i guess. Looks weird, but its like that in 2D Metroid games.
The animation shows that Ridley's attack has impact, I actually want him to bounce around like this before killing a GF trooper in Metroid some day, bouncing to strafe and getting the kill, maaaaaybe mock Samus by slamming her to a wall and eating the trooper in her face

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I like the way his tail scrunches up like that. It really shows the impact that he's making into the ground/opponent! Although for some reason, it now kind of reminds me of an accordion with the way it scrunches up and extends, not that that's a bad thing. XD

Zaelkath

Smash Rookie

Oh...God.

The animation is great, don't get me wrong, but I can't stop hearing Ridley giggling to himself while he bounces up and down.

Top Bottom