• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What's "bad" about it is the fact that he feels extremly unnatural while also just looking really silly if you ask me.
He's gonna feel so much better to play once you decrease his aerial mobility to be like, "above average" at best.
This Jigglypuff-esque mobility just does not fit at all.
We'll see about that.

Here is link to edited FitPit.pac file with aerial mobility below Jigglypuff's, but equal with Wario's (it will look like it is lower since Ridley is a lot bigger that Wario): https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeh78n3ybzf08vp/FitPit.pac?dl=0 No other changes done, so, every other problem still remains. Not sure if it crashes again, but that doesn't matters for now.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
You all seem a seem a bit passive aggressive.
Just remember the amount of work that goes into this.
That's all I have to say.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
And as expected, that feels a lot better. Is that Warios Brawl or PM mobility? All he really needs now is a solid "approach aerial" and I'd main him if he were to be added to PM officially.
You all seem a seem a bit passive aggressive.
Just remember the amount of work that goes into this.
That's all I have to say.
Come on now, buddy. There was a lot of work put into Smash 4 but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna mention things I dislike about it, you know. If there's something off about Ridley I'm gonna mention it, that's what this thread is for, right. Feedback and discussion.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
And as expected, that feels a lot better. Is that Warios Brawl or PM mobility? All he really needs now is a solid "approach aerial" and I'd main him if he were to be added to PM officially.
PM Wario. And isn't FAir good enough for that?
Come on now, buddy. There was a lot of work put into Smash 4 but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna mention things I dislike about it, you know. If there's something off about Ridley I'm gonna mention it, that's what this thread is for, right. Feedback and discussion.
I agree with that.

Well, if that version will receive enough positive feedback, then i'll leave it like that and buff other stuff like ground mobility to make up for such loss.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Last edited:

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Maybe I haven't played around enough with fair but I feel like it misses on a lot of characters a lot of the time. Again, I'm gonna have to play around with it more.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Hm. Speaking about his aerial movement. First time I saw Ridley, I kind of exspected Meta Knight's aerial speed. Probably because they both have similar wings.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Of course.

It will either be too hard to balance or it wouldn't actually be that attack. The closest thing to that would be Meta Ridley having different sound and hitsparks on attacks (for example, electric hitsparks instead of normal on Up Smash) and different GFX on aerial Down B.
Imo, it would be simple to give the Plasma Beam enough lag time and you can edit the beam to dissipate closer to Ridley so it doesn't travel the entire length of the stage. Then of course have the Special Offensive collision hitbox align with the beam. Another idea is to have the portion of the beam closer to Ridley do more damage while the farther portions would do measly damage and have little hitstun. This would be a good deal of work however, but I would tackle it just as a personal project after I'm done with Dark Samus

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
EDIT: Say, you or anyone think the stance in this picture is different? http://bagansmashbros.deviantart.com/art/SSBB-Ridley-PSA-RE-1-489194726

I dunno why, but it looks so much more beastlike... I wanna see dat! :D
It is different and those screenshots were taken when Ridley still had those incredibly dark textures, giant wings, very long tail and long head crest thing. Oh, and his tail was glitched up when taking screenshot.
Maybe I haven't played around enough with fair but I feel like it misses on a lot of characters a lot of the time. Again, I'm gonna have to play around with it more.
Wasn't that much of an issue at least when he still moved in the air like hot knife through butter. Maybe its because it doesn't lasts for long enough.

Last edited:

3DS999

Smash Rookie
NNID
3DS999
3DS FC
1161-0452-7570
Hey man, ive tried this mod myself, and I can say it is really good, the character and animations are really clean. But still, I would like to say some things that, IN MY OPINION, should be balanced.

First of all, his throws, I think they do to much damage for throws themselves. For example, if you pummel your opponent and then Uthros, it does like 21%, I know that his grab isnt the best, but still. Also, speaking about throws, I think the distance they travel should be shortened a bit.

For some standard attacks, his down tilt seems to have too much range, I think if it was more like the first hit of Bowsers, it would be better, im just saying the range is what needs to be fixed, not the start up or endlag, nor the damage or knockack. For his smashes, just his side smash, It seem kinda unbalanced for me, it has a really long start up and astounding range, personally, I think that if it was more like the one in Crusade (A shortranged forward lunge with a 2 hit claw slash, with moredated start up and endlang) would be a better move for him cuz it appears more balanced and useful.

Now, for his aerials, the only one I really have something against is his Dair, I know it doesnt stop if you fail to hit, but combining its range, speed, and Project M air dodge mechanics, its nearly impossible to miss with it, so I suggest, to either reduce its range and start up, or giving him another move with similar properties.

Besides that, Ridley seems a great character for me. Also, I think im the only one having this issue but, how do I put the pallet swaps into de files? I know there is some kind of file in the CSP folder, but when I downloaded the file, it wasnt there. Is this some kind of issue or do I have to do something else? (And yes, I followed the tutorial step by step)

Keep up the great work, hope to see more soon and good game!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey man, ive tried this mod myself, and I can say it is really good, the character and animations are really clean. But still, I would like to say some things that, IN MY OPINION, should be balanced.

First of all, his throws, I think they do to much damage for throws themselves. For example, if you pummel your opponent and then Uthros, it does like 21%, I know that his grab isnt the best, but still. Also, speaking about throws, I think the distance they travel should be shortened a bit.

For some standard attacks, his down tilt seems to have too much range, I think if it was more like the first hit of Bowsers, it would be better, im just saying the range is what needs to be fixed, not the start up or endlag, nor the damage or knockack. For his smashes, just his side smash, It seem kinda unbalanced for me, it has a really long start up and astounding range, personally, I think that if it was more like the one in Crusade (A shortranged forward lunge with a 2 hit claw slash, with moredated start up and endlang) would be a better move for him cuz it appears more balanced and useful.

Now, for his aerials, the only one I really have something against is his Dair, I know it doesnt stop if you fail to hit, but combining its range, speed, and Project M air dodge mechanics, its nearly impossible to miss with it, so I suggest, to either reduce its range and start up, or giving him another move with similar properties.

Besides that, Ridley seems a great character for me. Also, I think im the only one having this issue but, how do I put the pallet swaps into de files? I know there is some kind of file in the CSP folder, but when I downloaded the file, it wasnt there. Is this some kind of issue or do I have to do something else? (And yes, I followed the tutorial step by step)

Keep up the great work, hope to see more soon and good game!
His pummel is slow and because of the way pummels and grab work, you won't be able to get as much hits as with other pummels. Bowser's pummel is slightly faster and deals only 1% less than Ridley's. As for throws, maybe damage is a bit too high, but it is only slightly (1-2% difference) higher than Mewtwo's throws and there are throws that are stronger than any of his throws (Charizard's UThrow, Bowser's DThrow, Dedede's FThrow and BThrow).

What would it change? It doesn't matters how he will use his arms. They are long by default and nothing can be done about that without animation looking ridicolous. Side Smash's range is getting nerfed in the next update (not by much, but it won't be much longer than Dedede's Side Smash and even then, it will have less range since it can hit only in front of Ridley while still having all of that start up). Side Smash from SSBC can't be properly done with this model since his arms are long and wings are large too while Ridley's sprite in SSBC has small wings and short (at least when compared to my model) arms. So, either he will hover above the ground high enough for most characters to just crouch and avoid attack completly.

I can't decrease its range any further. It already has only 1 hitbox and it is on his tail spike (yes, everything else will just go through opponent, but it makes more sense than if his entire tail could hit). Overall, it is inferiour to PM Wario's DAir in every way except for how high he bounces up.

Did you downloaded file that was called "PM Ridley 1.77"? If yes, then files for them should be in projectm/pf/system and codes folders (they are called "common5.pac" and "RSBE01.gct").

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Yeah, it looks weird. Not stiff, but it doesn't looks right.
I'd say give his body more movement, like its limbering up for an attack. Also, I think putting him on all fours while charging the side smash will make it more visually appealing.

Also, this happened last night:

It was the scariest gaming moment of my life...then all the Fission Metroids on the trip back ruined it for me.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'd say give his body more movement, like its limbering up for an attack. Also, I think putting him on all fours while charging the side smash will make it more visually appealing.
I'll try that.
If he would be on all fours, i wouldn't be able to make it look right while he spins his tail. Unless he will face screen/background while doing so.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I'll try that.
If he would be on all fours, i wouldn't be able to make it look right while he spins his tail. Unless he will face screen/background while doing so.
I think it might work. The tail spinning would just have to be angled up some to avoid it clipping the ground.

Just remember when I say "limber", I mean that trembling animation all characters have when charging their smash attacks... Now that I think about it, all of Ridley's smashes need to be polished with that limbering.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think it might work. The tail spinning would just have to be angled up some to avoid it clipping the ground.

Just remember when I say "limber", I mean that trembling animation all characters have when charging their smash attacks... Now that I think about it, all of Ridley's smashes need to be polished with that limbering.
...now i have mental image of Ridley using his tail as propeller (like on helicopters) to fly instead of wings...

I didn't added that to make sure i have as much file size space left as possible. I know he lacks that. It will be added after animation revamp.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Attacks from the side too. Huh, the guy is a walking weapon. Maybe the Space Pirates should've cloned and mass-produced Ridleys instead of Metroids. Definitely would've been more obedient.

Last edited:
Top Bottom