• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Unleashing a 2-D Horror - A Game and Watch Thread

GeZ

Smash Lord
So I've been working on set ups for catching more obtuse recoveries (tethers/ and hugging the stage as they recover like Ganon or GnW's reverse ledge grab recovery or Lucas's straight vertical recovery) and I've come up with something that I'm fairly happy with as a multi purpose option.

It's partly percent dependent but not in a way that needs to be memorized. Just think about it in terms of too low to reasonably gimp and within.

I'll start with the too low option. If they're within the too low thresh hold and trying to recover tethering you can WD backwards off the ledge and hammer. This sound really iffy at first but hear it out.

The only hammers that will be detrimental to you securing that kill is a 1 and a 5. so that means 2/9 chance for it to flop.
But on the flip side of that 8 will always kill and 9 will probably kill because of difficulty to wall tech if they have that option.
We can approximate that to 2/9 chance for a guaranteed kill.

But the thing is the other hammers swing from neutral to almost guaranteed kill.

A 2 Hammer is just a light shove, but accounting for time spent in its brief hitstun it can put some tether characters too low to recover, and if not that, gives you a fine window to sweet spot the ledge and at least reset the edgeguarding with them still off the stage and you with the ledge. Now that's the worst option that isn't actively helping them or doing nothing, which is pretty good I think.

A 3 Hammer will have a similar effect to the 2, but has the option to place your opponent under the lip of the stage making tethering again a non option.

A 4 Hammer can stage spike or just bounce your opponent off the wall and let you get the ledge and put them lower than they were.

A 6 Hammer will have a similar effect to the 4 but with more power and a different angle/ timing. Again, worst that happens is edgeguarding resets with you holding the ledge.

A 7 fills the same roll as the last two but will provide again more varied timing for your opponent to tech.

Now something to keep in mind is that all of these are what happens if you connect with the hammer when facing the stage. If you anticipated the tether and WD'd off early, you can do the hammers facing away from the ledge which will make the 2 and 3 more potent in their own respects, a 4, 6, or 7 much more lethal, and the 9 actually gauranteed.

I'll post the second part in a second.

Now, if they're at a reasonable percent to kill you can easily WD backwards off the stage and use Dair/ Nair/ Pan to secure a more guaranteed kill, which one you choose depends on the character and their options if they react by releasing the tether.

For instance, Lucas is a real tit, and can do things fast once he's released the tether. So in that instance the best option is Dair as it's faster and dominant enough to truck through Lucas' options.

Tink on the other hand has a really scary option with his Up B so in that instance using the parachute for the fat hitbox and hurtbox protection is a better bet.

Ivysaur has less scary options than both of them and the Pan will put her in a spot that will in all probability guarantee a kill.

I'll do a second post for the part on stage hugging recoveries.

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
I just don't like GnW's scary combo weight. He'd be more viable if he wasn't so easily carried across the stage.
that's how he works though, as a glass canon character. Can combo hard and hit hard, but he's an easy target. It balances him out pretty well.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Dealing with stage hugging recoveries involves a bit more micro management of what aerial to use when and willingness to trade.

The basic setup I've been playing with is WD back off ledge (facing towards stage so you can slap them with Fairs since they're hugging the stage in this scenario) Nair/ Fair/ Dair/ Pan > double jump > Nair/ Fair/ Dair/ Pan

It sounds like I'm just listing all his options but the point of it more is to highlight that GnW can do any combination of two of these moves in any order and still recover, which can be really lethal if applied right.

So say you're edgeguarding a link who's going to use a reverse grab box on the end of Up B. Nair and Dair stuff that. So you can use Nair to first catch it and then depending on where they end up close it out with another Nair or Fair.

Apply the same to Ness' recovery. You can use the disjoint of Fair to be more safe, and with tight timing you can Fair him out of it and use the Nair to eat the second lightning bolt or even bucket it.

These are just a few examples but you guys can see how GnW can pretty cohesively cover most if not all options in this situation. The only reason I don't highlight the other, more regular edgeguarding situations is because with GnW's tools he can reasonably cover that in most instances.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Dthrow is super underrated. It is secretly a huge part of the DI trap. After a while people learn to DI off the side of the stage to make the follow up near the ledge harder/shorter. Adding Down throw to the mix makes that option scary as hell for them. Also I'm 100% convinced that no one techs every time. Once they get the other throws in their head it's too easy to lose their head about the Dthrow.

Dthrow has a few frames less lag on it than the other throws so it's safer in teams. In teams, it is also probably always the best throw all around. Combo's in teams are always iffy but with the help of your teammate the tech chase can be basically a guaranteed smash attack.

I think there is something important about following through on tech chases that is hard to match. Winning a tech chase is an immediate message to your opponent that says "I know what's going on in your head."

GeZ

Smash Lord
I think there is something important about following through on tech chases that is hard to match. Winning a tech chase is an immediate message to your opponent that says "I know what's going on in your head."
Plus, a lot of the time you can instill that feeling early on with a good guess. Like grab them early on, Dthrow, run forward. people tech away from the opponent the first time really often.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Don't say Glass Cannon around me, I have heard that about every character in the game and it gets tossed around more than cookies.

GnW doesn't have anything so obscenely good as to necessitate this "glass cannon" label. He already dies early and that is what balances him and his recovery. A spacie or Lucas deserve to be comboed, not GnW.

I really like the idea of wavedash off fair into the stage. I wanna try it because flashy.

I love when my opponent techs a direction and I'm already there covering that option like I read their mind.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Don't say Glass Cannon around me, I have heard that about every character in the game and it gets tossed around more than cookies.

GnW doesn't have anything so obscenely good as to necessitate this "glass cannon" label. He already dies early and that is what balances him and his recovery. A spacie or Lucas deserve to be comboed, not GnW.

I really like the idea of wavedash off fair into the stage. I wanna try it because flashy.

I love when my opponent techs a direction and I'm already there covering that option like I read their mind.
Glass canon is thrown around a bit much, but in this instance I'd say is deserved. His attack power and ability to combo and his game are just crazy. Definitely top tier material.

SAX

Smash Ace
lmao so judgmental. That was my first game with GnW of that day, give me a break. but yea, that was pretty trashy play. I hope thats not the first video of me you ever watched. Match 2 was better, and I went on to beat a lot of people that tourney including Deenti and Awesstin
I know you, usually play so much better than that. That's why I was a bit thrown off haha.

jtm94

Smash Lord
GnW is not even close to top tier material. I love this character as he is, and he benefits from reads, but his combos are easily escapable imo. He has a lot of decent parts but he's a frankenstein character and the sum doesn't equal nearly as much as the other characters in this game. If his fair was faster I would almost agree to that labeling of him, but his KO moves aren't even that special when compared across the entire cast.

SAX

Smash Ace

What are you talking about... GnW has some of the strongest most obscene moves in the game imo. Ftilt is obscene. Trying to recover? Trying to out prioritize me? Stick a chair in their face. Ftilt is definitely the most underatted move ever. Move is straight broken. DTILT IS SO GOD OH MAH GAWD. It's a kill move that sets up for more kills that has little lag? Count me in. A dacus that sets itself up for a hit and is stronger than fox's upsmash? Hmmmmm. Campy characters trying to ledge stall you? No problem you got some nifty arched bacon to safely hinder them from that.

Don't even get me started about Uthrow > Uair > Parachute... or hell just Uthrow >Parachute

And lets be honest. If you've been playing Gnw long enough, you can manipulate when a 9 comes out. I've set up multiple 9's over the course of many different matches but by noticing the nuances and patterns of the 9. It may not be 100% full proof, but it got me 3/3 9's in many matches. It's just kind of like a feeling you get. You just "know" when you have a 9. I feel like it just comes from playing the character over an extended period of time. But it is definitely something worth looking into. My first advice given every single time to new GnW players is to use more judgment. I feel like you guys know what I'm talking about though hahaha.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I didn't say he was top tier, but his combo game definitely is. His Usmash is insanity. His Nair is literally ********. His Dthrow is made of options. He just has the combo game to murder everyone comfortably.

SAX

Smash Ace
I didn't say he was top tier, but his combo game definitely is. His Usmash is insanity. His Nair is literally ********. His Dthrow is made of options. He just has the combo game to murder everyone comfortably.
However, he has a point. GnW's combos are rather easy to DI out of. It's similar to how you would DI Falco's Pillaring.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I think it depends on what you're going for. I don't think GnW does super long combos like Mario, but he does have small but super fat pockets of damage that lead to an edgeguard or kill depending on who you're fighting.

jtm94

Smash Lord
GnW has crazy combos to punish bad DI, but good DI just escapes his stuff really easily. Mainly talking about his UpB shenanigans, I've had Bowsers escape that ish just by holding left and that's the only amazing part of his combo game on non fastfallers or heavies. He can convert bairs into a lot of stuff and his DACUS does begin warranting the cannon label. I really agree with his gattling combo and DACUS, they are extremely risk vs reward as I feel he should be, but his other moves don't really have that feel, they feel risky to put out in a lot of situations.

His judgment can be made good with a good eye on the numbers, but a lot of the time you can just use a move that will do something better. I honestly use hammer too often and I get punished hard for that risk.

Also GnW gets comboed harder than Mario who is better in every way and has KO throws and chaingrabs on every character and combos on every character that aren't read based or contingent on bad DI.... sigh I hate Mario.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
What are you talking about... GnW has some of the strongest most obscene moves in the game imo. Ftilt is obscene. Trying to recover? Trying to out prioritize me? Stick a chair in their face. Ftilt is definitely the most underatted move ever. Move is straight broken. DTILT IS SO GOD OH MAH GAWD. It's a kill move that sets up for more kills that has little lag? Count me in. A dacus that sets itself up for a hit and is stronger than fox's upsmash? Hmmmmm. Campy characters trying to ledge stall you? No problem you got some nifty arched bacon to safely hinder them from that.

Don't even get me started about Uthrow > Uair > Parachute... or hell just Uthrow >Parachute

And lets be honest. If you've been playing Gnw long enough, you can manipulate when a 9 comes out. I've set up multiple 9's over the course of many different matches but by noticing the nuances and patterns of the 9. It may not be 100% full proof, but it got me 3/3 9's in many matches. It's just kind of like a feeling you get. You just "know" when you have a 9. I feel like it just comes from playing the character over an extended period of time. But it is definitely something worth looking into. My first advice given every single time to new GnW players is to use more judgment. I feel like you guys know what I'm talking about though hahaha.
This is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. You are completely off base with basically every point you've made. My mind seriously denies me the words that would do a legitimate argumentative response justice. God damn it.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
A neat little timing thing is that GnW can SH Uair > Dair right as he touches the ground. Can combo at low percents or just work as a good fakeout.

Edit: Also pan hit can set up for DACUS spacing pretty well so it's a way to sneak that in. At early percents DACUS will pass them though.
This just in: GnW players discuss the many uses and setups for DACUS in their matchup discussion thread because it is so darn good.

Watch has the strongest hitting attacks, but he doesn't have the best kill moves. A lot of kill moves that are just barely weaker than his kill moves are 4+ frames faster

that's how he works though, as a glass canon character. Can combo hard and hit hard, but he's an easy target. It balances him out pretty well.
I think he is less of a glass cannon than the actual glass cannon characters. You can easily bacon zone and play defensively AND he has one of the best OOS defensive options.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
What Crezyte said times a thousand. They may be strong and deal damage, but in comparison to other moves of equal or more KO power they are many frames slower.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I feel where jtm is coming from. GaW has some very strong traits, but that can be said about the whole cast of the game. Pidgin holing him into a moniker like "glass cannon" feels more like an excuse to overlook his negative traits just because he has good ones as well. WIth similar logic you could argue that Bowser was a glass cannon, but I don't think that gets you anywhere in discussing where to focus your efforts when playing him.

Having a strong presence of mind on what your character's weaknesses is incredibly powerful because knowing what situations to avoid is just a critical as knowing which ones to create. My experience has taught me that Up-B and Up-Air are super DI-able in a lot of situations, but you can use that to your advantage and catch people with other moves. If they DI away and you fair then you are likely in an edge guard situation is one example of that.

Another thing to remember is that his aerials all have slow startup and similarly bad cooldown so he struggles to put on any form of rush down pressure. You have to take that and learn about when you are over committing to something. If you can identify that then it's much easier to catch your opponent trying to bait it.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'm not married to the naming convention of glass cannon to GnW, but it makes some rudimentary sense. Like, it's not the only way of looking at him but on the flip side of that, it fits well enough.

In Sf4 seth is a glass cannon. Lowest health, some of the highest mixup potential.

In Project M GnW has glass cannon elements. Dies really early, very high damage and ability to kill.

It fits in some capacity, no?

SAX

Smash Ace
This is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. You are completely off base with basically every point you've made. My mind seriously denies me the words that would do a legitimate argumentative response justice. God damn it.
Oh you must be bad then. Excuse me.

#SALT

SAX

Smash Ace
This just in: GnW players discuss the many uses and setups for DACUS in their matchup discussion thread because it is so darn good.

Watch has the strongest hitting attacks, but he doesn't have the best kill moves. A lot of kill moves that are just barely weaker than his kill moves are 4+ frames faster

I think he is less of a glass cannon than the actual glass cannon characters. You can easily bacon zone and play defensively AND he has one of the best OOS defensive options.
Yo are you going to Ryo's Tournament August 17th? I might be up there to make it. If so we should meet up :)

Yung Mei

Reminder that when on the ledge, you can drop down jump aerial regrab ledge, ill post vid when i get home

Last edited:

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
Yo are you going to Ryo's Tournament August 17th? I might be up there to make it. If so we should meet up :)
Aww I'm not in G'Ville right now. I'm home at Tampa working my summer break off until I go back the 22nd :( I'll be TO'ing GatorLan (27th sep), which you should go to (free entry tourney w/ prizes).

Dakpo

Smash Lord
KK, so there is a ton of posts I need to reply tooooo

What? He is pretty spot on, what do you disagree with?

Last edited:

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Very true, GnW is not a glass cannon. He has one of the best recoveries in the game (for now)
Space animals are glass cannons

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
Very true, GnW is not a glass cannon. He has one of the best recoveries in the game (for now)
Space animals are glass cannons
I hate how people rate GnW's recovery high. Yeah its good, but in terms of getting back on stage in a neutral position, GnW is pretty bad at. Most of the time, people won't edgegaurd you because they have no friggin clue what the range is and are too careful with it, but the players that I've played with will just throw out a hitbox after refreshing invincibility that covers just below the edge.

Sure its not Falcon tier recovery, but it has nothing on MK, M2, Link, Lucas, pit, sonic, etc.

Yung Mei

l0l, GNW's recovery is pretty easy to figure out compared to the rest of the cast. I'd explain how-so but then we run the risk of people finding out because i blabbed and we'll lose at everything forever

SAX

Smash Ace
Aww I'm not in G'Ville right now. I'm home at Tampa working my summer break off until I go back the 22nd :( I'll be TO'ing GatorLan (27th sep), which you should go to (free entry tourney w/ prizes).
Darn :/ I'll see if I can't make it. I'm taking 22 credit hours this fall semester though so finding time will be rough!

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Pidgin holing him into a moniker like "glass cannon" feels more like an excuse to overlook his negative traits just because he has good ones as well.
He kills people at low percents and dies at low percents. These are the only traits that are entailed with the description of a glass cannon, so labeling him as such isn't really overlooking those traits, but instead doing the opposite. Now, if someone were to dismiss another negative trait of his on the basis of him being a glass canon, then you'd be right. I don't think anyone is doing that though.

However, I do think people overlook his horrible neutral game just because he has a strong punish game. I don't think this is a fair judgement because having a good neutral game is far more important since pretty much everyone can punish efficiently in this game. His neutral game should be #1 on the list for buffs because of how much significance it holds. His dash dance was a step in the right direction.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
In my experience I regularly live to what I would consider "average" percents (100-120ish). And usually my kills come from pretty standard setups, so I disagree with this idea of kills/dies at low percents. Sure there's the potential to do some mad agro stuff, but that potential is within almost every character.

SAX

Smash Ace
He kills people at low percents and dies at low percents. These are the only traits that are entailed with the description of a glass cannon, so labeling him as such isn't really overlooking those traits, but instead doing the opposite. Now, if someone were to dismiss another negative trait of his on the basis of him being a glass canon, then you'd be right. I don't think anyone is doing that though.

However, I do think people overlook his horrible neutral game just because he has a strong punish game. I don't think this is a fair judgement because having a good neutral game is far more important since pretty much everyone can punish efficiently in this game. His neutral game should be #1 on the list for buffs because of how much significance it holds. His dash dance was a step in the right direction.
Pit apparently has a horrible neutral game but he does just fine

GeZ

Smash Lord
In my experience I regularly live to what I would consider "average" percents (100-120ish). And usually my kills come from pretty standard setups, so I disagree with this idea of kills/dies at low percents. Sure there's the potential to do some mad agro stuff, but that potential is within almost every character.
But I think that GnW has potential to kill earlier. I killed my buddies Roy at 50% on yoshis story. It was awesome.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I agree with GnW for having a bad neutral. His dash dance definitely helped significantly from what it once was. Superfood was GOAT, but it was so braindead there was never a need to do anything besides press B in most situations. I really have been in favor of him getting the tiny super food back that is a little bigger than bacon, flies lower, does an extra % or so and has a tad more hitstun so he can capitalize better.

I've been having a hard time converting bacon into anything because it doesn't stun for very long at even close distances. His bair is a good setup for a lot of his stuff and that is awkward to land out of bacon, uair is frame 3 and the best option imo just because speed, fair and dair are frame 10 and 12, and nair is frame 20. The next best thing are his ground moves with a frame 7 grab, frame 6 dtilt and frame 4 jab. Grab is pretty good, but not guaranteed to get much out of with potential for a lot of reward, dtilt usually leads into uair strings against a lot of the cast, jab isn't doing much except jab-cancel into dtilt into UpB/Uair even though UpB can be DId to avoid followups. The best option feels like nair if they are at enough % to set up an edge guard situation or KO, or uair if they are at low % to deal damage.

The way I approach the neutral is usually SH double bacon just because it's free and 4 frame landing lag isn't that punishable if you aren't stupid with it, hope a bacon hits and rush in with an aerial, the problem being that his aerials bar uair are so slow they can be easily reacted too. IF they are close to the ground however the landing hitbox on dair and uair come out on frame 1. I honestly wish I could use the landing hitbox of dair more because it has such hit stun to it, but I can't land it. It is only a little more outstretched than the hitbox of his dair so I usually just hit with that and his dair just outright sucks bar meteor and landing hitbox so they fly at an awkward diagonal angle away. Other than bacon in the neutral just dash dance and fish for grabs, all of his ground options are pretty lackluster bar dtilt, maybe jab and dash attack because gattling combo and boost grab are really good.

Another thing that concerns me is the redundancy in his moveset. ftilt, fair, dair(regular hitbox), fsmash all do the same thing, Judgment Hammer too in many cases. They are just horizontal launchers and don't do much else. I really want to test to see which has more knockback when so I know what is best at the edge. Fsmash is 13 frames and ftilt is 10 frames, but if Fsmash were to KO them it might be better, but it sends at a higher angle so if they live it they get back easier. Dair sends upwards and could maybe be better against a floaty at higher% on a stage with decent side blast zones and lower ceiling. Dtilt is still incredibly fast at the edge at 6 frames and the aerial hitbox sends them pretty much the same distance as ftilt, but it is more disjointed.

Lastly, how do people use Down Smash? It is frame 15(10 frames faster than Upsmash), covers a large portion of the ground outside of the hammers with a similer KO power to upsmash, and the inside of it sends at a harsh angle that is hard to recover from.

GeZ

Smash Lord
If you're only going for Uair strings after Ditlt you must be high.

His neutral game is p bad, but you can still use good movement to work your way in, and I think GnW has better movement than most people give him credit for.

Also you're basically saying that Ftilt, Fair, Dair, and Fsmash all do the same thing with slight permutations, while the permutations are a sight bigger than you give them credit for. Like Fair sends at a more mid angle but is more so for chasing off stage. Fsmash is for kill if you're confident in it killing, and ftilt is for being safe on stage, sending at a good downward angle, and occupying a lot of time.

I use Dsmash when I'm chaingrabbing and they land on a platform, I WL on platform and charge Dsmash, as it covers every option but get up attack.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
dtilt can lead into almost any of his aerials depending on if they mash out of hit stun or not. What else should I be going for? What else is better than 10% damage per hit?

Than people give him credit for? What people and why do they matter? He has amazing movement and I know that.

It's almost always better to go off stage and fair than to stand on stage and ftilt. Off stage you can land nair incredibly easily because they have no choice but to recover to the stage and you can intercept that. I guess I was complaining, but every character has situational or redundant moves so GnW shouldn't be excluded. It would be nice if one of them helped the neutral better, but it isn't getting better than dtilt. his crouch is really good because he typically can't be grabbed, and it has a rather large fast strong hitbox that converts to the air. In the end he has quite a few launchers to take advantage of his positioning against off stage characters.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Someone in the subreddit is saying this:
GnW is an exception because he's one of the few characters with a one frame window to do a Dacus and on that single frame the dash attack hitbox is out. All other one frame window dacus characters (wolf, marth roy) have a dash attack that is too slow.

And I just want to double check that that's wrong before I tell him it is. But I'm almost positive it is. Help? Some link explaining how it is would be cool too.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I somehow ended up needing more proof to satisfy the supporters of this misinformation, so I've got a crumby but existing video proving it wrong. I'll throw it here in case anyone needs to reference it to shut down the argument in the future.

Top Bottom