• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MT_

Smash Ace
Here, you misunderstand my argument.
Which I did apologize for.

Here, you establish a standard, which you later go on to retcon as somehow simply being a different application of my standard.

Here, you get caught up on the word neutral, and go into a semantical rant in which you imply that the word attached to it somehow solidifies your standard, when the issue being debated is about what the standard should be.
The only reason I said these things was an attempt to fend of the "arbitrary" accusation that you threw onto my own standards. It was never my intention to debate individual stages in the first place, because it's my belief that it won't truly get us anywhere.

Here you imply that my stance demands a completely objective perspective, when in fact it simply wants one as objective as possible, while maintaining a degree of fairness.

Here you equate our debate on what standards should be had with a point of view on whether a standard is "right or wrong."
This is where we mainly disagree (and is the core point of my argument), because I don't think that a perspective that is "as objective as possible" exists.

Do you honestly expect anything but for me to act the way I do? If you've ever seen me debate with Edgar or José, do you ever see me react this way? The point José made about the low tiers being more viable on the MBR stagelist is almost completely unjustified, and yet I did not refer to his argument as absurd, or ridiculous, or ignorant, or insulting. I addressed him directly because he was not acting like a pompous ****. Don't make me out to be the bad guy here; even if I argue in certain ways, your arguments are just as bad. The fact is that you're so convinced in my wickedness that you aren't even taking the time to look at your own methodology of arguing.
Maybe it's because they don't want their differing viewpoint to end up inciting frustration on your end, but I've really never seen (at least on smashboards) Edgar or Jose debate with you for more than like 1 post at a time. If Jose made another post that didn't simply concede the point that we shouldn't be balancing the roster, how would you feel? Would you feel like "Oh, I might need to explain it better to Jose", or "I can't believe he thinks that way, that's absurd".

And in any case, arguing with those kinds of words not only becomes exhausting for the other person, it also undoubtedly makes the other person less willing to end up agreeing with your point of view (though in this case I don't think I would have ended up agreeing anyway).

Kal

Smash Champion
Which I did apologize for.
Not really the point. You set a precedent by arguing this way, even if you apologize for it afterwards.

Maybe it's because they don't want their differing viewpoint to end up inciting frustration on your end, but I've really never seen (at least on smashboards) Edgar or Jose debate with you for more than like 1 post at a time. If Jose made another post that didn't simply concede the point that we shouldn't be balancing the roster, how would you feel? Would you feel like "Oh, I might need to explain it better to Jose", or "I can't believe he thinks that way, that's absurd".
Edgar and I usually debate over AIM or in person, and the debates are always civil.

And no, I would not immediately reject José's post if he were to claim that we should be balancing the roster. I would calmly explain several reasons for which it's a bad idea to ban things in the interest of creating balance.

And way to suggest that the only reason I haven't behaved this way to Edgar and José is due to the lack of arguments.

This is where we mainly disagree (and is the core point of my argument), because I don't think that a perspective that is "as objective as possible" exists..
MT, the important point is that some standards are less objective than others. I won't claim that my standard is the most objective, for I have not analyzed every one of the literally infinite number of possible standards. But I've explained to you why my standard is more objective than yours, and yet you insist, again and again, that they're equally arbitrary.

They're not equally arbitrary. There's a difference between "where do we draw the line at broken?" and "I want to ban stages that move." It's incredibly frustrating that you're reiterating the same point and not taking the time to understand me. Even worse is that you later backtrack to suggest that your actual standard, which is "I want to ban stages that move" is actually "I think even slightly broken" (which you also have failed to demonstrate is a quality many of these stages possess) "is too broken." The debate here is not on how much of an effect these stages must have, i.e., "how broken they are;" it's about whether your standard of "banning things that don't standardize gameplay" (read: banning whatever you don't like) is better than my standard of banning only things that are provably broken.

And in any case, arguing with those kinds of words not only becomes exhausting for the other person, it also undoubtedly makes the other person less willing to end up agreeing with your point of view (though in this case I don't think I would have ended up agreeing anyway).
Again, I'm not disagreeing that I used any harsh words when we argued. I'm simply pointing out that you set yourself up for it; your arguments are themselves not so civil. Do you expect a kind response when you make strawman arguments or equate drastically different viewpoints? Do you see how, out of my entire post, all you've done is reiterate the problems with my style of arguing, without even considering yours (save for the one you apologized for)?

Kal

Smash Champion
Does anyone on campus want to play Smash on Friday after 10:00 AM?

Kal

Smash Champion
Well, I'd really rather play on campus, since I can just go play right after my exam.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
I can play for a couple of hours (2-3) on campus. Is this in the usual room in Welch?

Kal

Smash Champion
It seems there is a lack of demand for smash on campus, so anyone who wants to come over and play is welcome. I won't get home till 11:30 though.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Or you could just ride with Tirno ARC and company to Baton Rouge LA where all the cool kids are going to be <3. Literally all of the best in Texas are going Kal except you. It just won't feel right ****** LA without you.

Kal

Smash Champion
I already told you that I have plans for tomorrow. Otherwise I would go.

lasershadow

Smash Rookie
don't judge samus mains! I'd love to play with you jcopulos but as I don't have a car I won't be able to play with you unless you live in west campus!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
don't judge samus mains! I'd love to play with you jcopulos but as I don't have a car I won't be able to play with you unless you live in west campus!
I hate playing Samus mains with a passion thats why, lol. I hate her more than Sheik.

Although I wouldn't mind fighting ihavespaceballs, he's actually aggressive with her.

jcopulos

Smash Rookie
I main ZSS, Samus is kind of an auxiliary character. Not new to Austin, i've been here since 06'. I used to play Melee with the UT crew a bit. I don't go to UT, I actually have a place in East Austin but commute to Texas State University.

So yeah, shoot me a text @ 512-767-2091, or AIM at psodude14

I'm James.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I main ZSS, Samus is kind of an auxiliary character. Not new to Austin, i've been here since 06'. I used to play Melee with the UT crew a bit. I don't go to UT, I actually have a place in East Austin but commute to Texas State University.

So yeah, shoot me a text @ 512-767-2091, or AIM at psodude14

I'm James.
hmm... we pretty much exclusively play Melee.
But we would be more than happy to play with you.

jcopulos

Smash Rookie
hmm... we pretty much exclusively play Melee.
But we would be more than happy to play with you.
oh ****, my bad. I'll stick to the topics that specify Brawl. It's been too long since i've played Melee, i'm afraid any skill I did have has long since diminished =/

But if I do get the urge to play again i'll hit you guys up!

dcx1287

Smash Lord
psodude14, I remember you. You used to play Melee with us at Wes's apartment many years back.

I also just recently rejoined the active austin smash community as well, but with Melee (not brawl).

Kal

Smash Champion
Results are up for the Louisiana tournament. Wobbles placed first, Austin placed second, Jake got 4th, and Edgar got 9th. I think Texas did really well. Wish I could have been there. :(

Kal

Smash Champion
Hey guys! Smashfest at my place Saturday. I'll update the topic title or something.

Kal

Smash Champion
Just had the most awesome game of LoL. I facerolled everybody with Miss Fortune. 18/7/6 with 240 creep score. Very exciting for me, like beating Sheik for the first time.

Kal

Smash Champion
MT, can you come pick up your TV? It's bothering me. I know you're in China but priorities, you know?

Also, Austin Smashers: I have a 27 inch television that I want to get rid of. It's a CRT. I'm literally giving it away, but it's something of a monstrosity. Does anyone want it?

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
MT, can you come pick up your TV? It's bothering me. I know you're in China but priorities, you know?

Also, Austin Smashers: I have a 27 inch television that I want to get rid of. It's a CRT. I'm literally giving it away, but it's something of a monstrosity. Does anyone want it?
I may be interested taking it off your hands. Is it a monstrosity looks-wise? Or weight-wise?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace

I'm guessing the 27 inch isn't ideal for Melee... can I borrow Matt's TV? I need a TV that doesn't lag, I literally only get to practice at smashfests which just aint good enough.

Kal

Smash Champion
No, you can't borrow Matt's TV. At least, I'll need to get Matt's permission to lend it to you first.

The monstrosity works fine for Melee, it's just really heavy.

Top Bottom