• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MT_

Smash Ace
I don't mind Rohan borrowing my TV for a couple weeks under two conditions:

1) You don't break it (obviously lol)
2) You can bring it to me when I get moved in to my new place (I have no car to move it lol). I will probably want it around the end of the month or something like that.

And thanks Kal for holding it for me. This whole time I thought it was at Edgar's place lol.

Kal

Smash Champion
I also have two conditions:

1) Pick it up from my place
2) Add subliminal messages to convince MT to stop hating on the cool stages

Not sure how you're going to do 2), but as a linguistics major, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

MT_

Smash Ace
I've already decided to play with all those stages included in the random stage selection at the next smash fest I attend. While I'm still not convinced that your ban criteria is necessarily any better than mine, I am now willing (and actually really want to) play and learn those stages after opening myself to your viewpoint. And Wobbles's viewpoint. (wonder if he namesearches?)

Btw, KishPrime's No-Johns Ruleset that you seem to have taken a liking to clearly states:

Rational Criteria for Ruleset: To accomplish the objective, this ruleset is based on three pieces of arbitrarily-selected criteria.
JUST SAYIN' :troll:

Kal

Smash Champion
His criteria is arbitrary selected in the following way:

1) His choice for determining whether something is "too random" is arbitrary. Why should it be Peach's Turnip Threshold and not something else?

2) His choice for choosing "single-character" and "single-strategy" brokenness is arbitrary. Why should it not be double-character or double-strategy, or some other variation?

However, to say that his standard of not wanting to remove things unless they're broken is arbitrary is fallacious. Again, it's not like he picked his standard out of a hat; he chooses a standard which is fairest in the sense that it maintains depth while keeping as many options as possible open to the player.

Obviously, there will be internal debate as to whether something is broken. But the standard itself is not arbitrary. We have gone over this. The standard "I ban things because I don't like them" is not less arbitrary than "I ban things which are broken" just because the question of what is "broken" needs deliberation.

In other words, criteria being arbitrarily selected does not equate to the standard itself being arbitrary. It's this sort of logic that causes me to dismiss your arguments as absurd, you know. >_>

I am hopeful that you will see that my standards, while obviously not "better" in any meaningful way, really are fairer, and that my standards do not seek to impose a simple majority-preference on the players who wish to play differently. Of course there will be deliberation on the actual criteria put forth to create a ruleset which follows the objective:

Preserve as much of the game of Melee as possible while keeping the ruleset competitive. When it is not an issue of competitiveness, select the option that promotes more game knowledge and required ability.
but I'm hoping you will at least understand why the objective itself, i.e., the standard, not the criteria, is "better" (at least fairer) in some sense than the standard put forth by players who wish to ban things on preference.

I think, fundamentally, the question of what is "arbitrary" causes this debate to surface. In general, if you can justify a particular choice in a meaningful way, then it isn't arbitrary. However, for the MBR ruleset, the vast majority of bans seem indicative of simple preference rather than any real justification, and while you could argue that the majority should decide the ruleset, I feel that this is unfair and infringes on the minority's right to play the game as they wish.

As an aside, you should know that I don't necessarily agree with KishPrime's criteria entirely. On the one hand, I am strongly in favor of the minimalist banning philosophy. But, on the other hand, I don't feel "single-character" and "single-strategy" brokenness are sufficiently strong criteria. However, I am of the opinion that every banned stage not explicitly banned on his list was banned preemptively. When it comes time to discuss what stages should be banned (read: never, because the majority will never accept this ruleset), I feel we should then discuss what criteria should be used.

Kal

Smash Champion
I would add this to the previous post, but I feel like it would be tl;dr.

For practicing on these stages, I think we should begin by just random-selecting at first. Once we've become accustomed to them (and even I am unfamiliar with quite a few, particularly anything banned before 2006), we should start doing winner-stays with the incoming player choosing the stage, current player choosing character, then incoming player choosing character. It would be sort of like the incoming player was doing a slob-pick.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I don't mind Rohan borrowing my TV for a couple weeks under two conditions:

1) You don't break it (obviously lol)
2) You can bring it to me when I get moved in to my new place (I have no car to move it lol). I will probably want it around the end of the month or something like that.
Where's your new place?

Kal

Smash Champion
Rohan, do you ever feel that maybe there is an appropriate place for the **** you post? I don't understand how anyone can lack so much tact.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Rohan, do you ever feel that maybe there is an appropriate place for the **** you post? I don't understand how anyone can lack so much tact.
There WAS an appropriate place, the thread got locked before I could ask anything.
All I know is that some **** went down at Nikefest.

I honestly don't care that much, I'm just curious.

Kal

Smash Champion
Rohan, let me sum it up for you:

1) Losing the appropriate venue for you to shove your nosy nose in does not mean it's ok for you to shove your nosy nose into a different one.

2) It's not about how much you care. It's about you bringing up a personal issue about a person in a public forum that said person happens to frequent.

3) You have no tact. You're like a foreigner who doesn't get any of our customs. Minus the foreign part. Which really means you're just an *** hole.

I usually let your ridiculous lack of tact slide, but this is just common sense. It's great that you're curious (read: no, it's not great, you nosy ****), but there's a place for it, and asking for the logistics of Jamal's ragequit at Nike's tournament should not be done in this thread.

Christ. It's like talking to a ****ing four year old. "I honestly don't care that much." ****.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Someone link me to the Austin melee facebook group. I'll join on my troll account so I can keep up with current news on potential smashfests/etc. that aren't discussed in this thread.

Kal

Smash Champion
We have to invite you, so give us the name of your Facebook account. Also, why not just make a real Facebook account?

dcx1287

Smash Lord
I used to have a real one but it's de-activated. I prefer to stay as discrete as possible on the internet these days to prevent employers/school administrators from viewing my personal information.

Functionally, having a completely fabricated troll facebook account makes no difference for my purposes.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Rohan, let me sum it up for you:

1) Losing the appropriate venue for you to shove your nosy nose in does not mean it's ok for you to shove your nosy nose into a different one.

2) It's not about how much you care. It's about you bringing up a personal issue about a person in a public forum that said person happens to frequent.

3) You have no tact. You're like a foreigner who doesn't get any of our customs. Minus the foreign part. Which really means you're just an *** hole.

I usually let your ridiculous lack of tact slide, but this is just common sense. It's great that you're curious (read: no, it's not great, you nosy ****), but there's a place for it, and asking for the logistics of Jamal's ragequit at Nike's tournament should not be done in this thread.

Christ. It's like talking to a ****ing four year old. "I honestly don't care that much." ****.
Belaboring something that you disagree with doesn't make you any more mature Kal. You're like the whiny Kindergartener who'll try to make a classmate feel bad because he prefers ham over turkey.
I don't see Edgar, Jose, Matt etc. coming on here to insult me about "lack of tact". Someone actually made a ****ing thread publicizing what happened, I seriously doubt me asking what happened made any sort of difference.
Jose gave me the answer I need so why don't you just drop it? You might have noticed no one really seemed to care about the argument you and Matt were having about stages, why not just PM him instead of wasting space in a "public forum"? And if you really care that much, why not send a PM to the guy who actually CREATED the thread asking if Jamal should be banned? All I did was ask what Jamal did at that tournament that created such a stir, a number of people saw him rage so how does that make it a "personal issue" in the first place? It'd be no different if I were actually at that tourney and saw him. Had I insulted him on here, a normal person would react the way you did (in other words, everyone else except you). Besides, "lack of tact and common sense" are personal issues you seem to believe I have, and yet you feel the need to insult me about them in a "public forum".

btw, would it be possible to come by this weekend and pick up the TV?

Kal

Smash Champion
Belaboring something that you disagree with doesn't make you any more mature Kal. You're like the whiny Kindergartener who'll try to make a classmate feel bad because he prefers ham over turkey.
I don't see Edgar, Jose, Matt etc. coming on here to insult me about "lack of tact".
You ****ing idiot, there's a difference between me insulting your personal preferences and your behavior. And yeah, Edgar, José and Matt haven't said anything about it. Holy ****, I guess that means I'm incorrect. 4 vs. 1, right?

Oh wait, I've actually justified what I had to say, you arrogant, idiotic ****. You, on the other hand, aren't even sure about whether those other three agree with you. Instead, you're using their silence as justification for your actions.

Go ask Edgar what he thinks about your tact. I'm sure he won't tell you your manners are any good.

Someone actually made a ****ing thread publicizing what happened, I seriously doubt me asking what happened made any sort of difference.
Missing the point. Of course, it's you, so I should expect no less.

Jose gave me the answer I need so why don't you just drop it? You might have noticed no one really seemed to care about the argument you and Matt were having about stages, why not just PM him instead of wasting space in a "public forum"?
Moron: if you want to drop it, stop responding. Don't ask me to drop it. And the discussion MT and I were having was relevant. Maybe it belonged in a PM, but that's beyond the point: we weren't discussing personal issues. It's not like I was publicly discussing whether MT should have had that abortion. Can you see the difference, or are you planning on misunderstanding this, along with everything else I've had to say?

It's like your reading comprehension is so bad that you think it's a question about wasting space. It has nothing to do with the minuscule amount of space being used by these posts. It's about the proper place for them.

And if you really care that much, why not send a PM to the guy who actually CREATED the thread asking if Jamal should be banned? All I did was ask what Jamal did at that tournament that created such a stir, a number of people saw him rage so how does that make it a "personal issue" in the first place? It'd be no different if I were actually at that tourney and saw him. Had I insulted him on here, a normal person would react the way you did (in other words, everyone else except you). Besides, "lack of tact and common sense" are personal issues you seem to believe I have, and yet you feel the need to insult me about them in a "public forum".
The point, Rohan, is that there is a place for this sort of discussion. I did not see the thread created asking if Jamal should be banned, but if I had, I would point out that this sort of discussion about an individual does not really belong on SWF. It's incredibly rude to the people being discussed.

And yes, I probably should have PMed you about it. Your post upset me enough that I felt the need to make it public. Since you usually do obnoxious, stupid **** like this, I guess I snapped and didn't give any thought to sending you a PM.

btw, would it be possible to come by this weekend and pick up the TV?
No. Go eat a ****.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
And yet u still didnt send me any of this in a pm... >_>

For future reference, heres how a normal person handles the situation:

"rohan, please dont bring that up on here."
me: my bad, sorry

seriously, how hard is that? And if u think urself so mature, u wont let some stupid, pointless argument on the internet get in the way of me improving in melee.

Btw, u really dont know wat ur talking about if u found
what i said remotely obnoxious.

:phone:

Kal

Smash Champion
There is so much wrong with what you have to say, I'm not going to go into depth. Let me summarize:

1) Reading comprehension. You can't seem to understand the actual content of my posts. As a linguistics major, you should be able to understand what I'm actually saying.

2) I'm not preventing you from improving at Melee solely because of an internet argument. For one, you put no effort into improving, and have this self-centered view that you "should" be winning matches (ironically, against players who are far, far better than you). For two, you actually get upset when people provide you advice during matches. But really, I just don't like you. I've been putting up with you and being nice to you, but I'm fed up with it. You clearly have absolutely no idea when you're being rude, and I'm not willing to deal with it any longer.

And no, none of this is in a PM.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
What the **** do u mean i put no effort into improving???? Im asking to borrow the tv so i can PRACTICE, i think that qualifies as wanting to improve. Secondly, i do get upset with myself wen i screw up, but not wen edgar or reqy beat me, i dont even know what led you to believe that.
I also only get upset when people give me advice during matches because i get distracted easily, ive told you this before. You might have noticed after matches ill happily take advice or even ask for it. You're going off my attitude about melee from a year and a half ago. Finally, when have you ever seen me be rude to someone in REAL LIFE?

Kal

Smash Champion
I've decided that, if God were to come down and give us his Melee ruleset, I would call him an idiot and tell him his criteria is arbitrary. With that in mind, I think our next tournament should be devoid of rules entirely.

I'm bringin' nunchucks.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I'll bring the dice.

In another note, I'm not sure if the club is registered. The UT info page doesn't say it is not registered so I'm guessing we're good to rent rooms.

perfectengrish

Smash Rookie
Jose and Edgar:
Are any of you all going over to kal and reqy's anytime soon? (or anybody else who is on campus a lot) I need some books from kal's little math library

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Jose and Edgar:
Are any of you all going over to kal and reqy's anytime soon? (or anybody else who is on campus a lot) I need some books from kal's little math library

What books (title and author)?

I might have direct download access to some (or all) of them.

MT_

Smash Ace
I'm in Austin now. So that means that I want to smash. And it also means that I can get my TV off of Kal's hands. Sorry Rohan, but that means you won't be able to borrow my TV haha.

perfectengrish

Smash Rookie
What books (title and author)?

I might have direct download access to some (or all) of them.
A first course in probability by Ross
Discrete mathematics with applications by epp
Thanks in advance!
Also, does anybody have an extra copy of melee? Mine is being ********

Kal

Smash Champion
Do you have a Wii? If so, I can mod it and get you a copy. >_>

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'm in Austin now. So that means that I want to smash. And it also means that I can get my TV off of Kal's hands. Sorry Rohan, but that means you won't be able to borrow my TV haha.
It's all good, I think Kal still has the huge TV, plus since you live so close now I could just come over to your place and smash haha.

Or I could just hold on to one of the TV's Clay got off craigslist since I'll definitely be helping transport set-ups.

Kal

Smash Champion
Houston is such a lame city. I wish I were in Austin.

If September 3 is still a good meeting time, I can create the thread today.

Top Bottom