• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
club re-registered.
I'll reserve the room for september 3rd once it says so on the student organization website.

Also, with regard to the tournament, I'm interested in doing a circuit. Would everyone please provide input on the following questions?

1) How should we go about creating the ruleset? On the one hand, I am hugely opposed to the MBR ruleset because I think it's unfair. On the other hand, there is a sense of "official"ness to running a circuit, which I think would require us to follow the majority-ruleset (although I am also disinclined to call any ruleset "official").
On the Circuit, I want to run the MBR ruleset solely because of it's established history of producing consistent results in tourneys.

However, we can allow ourselves to use a modified No John's ruleset if people are feeling curious later on in the circuit. There's no reason why this circuit can't be a little experimental, given that we weigh any consequences the ruleset might have on attendance (since I'm guessing we're primarily hoping to spark interest in SSBM).

2) How frequently should we host these circuit events? I was thinking it would be manageable to have one at every event, but that may be too much. I think having at least one per month is a good idea.
I think having one per month is a bad idea. The WATO series in Florida, which is regularly attendend by Hbox, Colbol, and (not as regularly) Shiz runs on this schedule and the attendance has dwindled despite these big names attending. I think it's because they happen too often.

I'm for a Circuit tourney every two months (high stakes) , a lesser tourney
in-between (medium cost), and a regular club meeting in-in-between (free).

These events can be used as promotion for the big tourney and might encourage people to attend the tourney if we start promoting our club and club meetings.

3) Should we charge a door fee? If so, how much? If we charge a door fee at every event, the less committed players will stop coming. On the other hand, a door fee at every event will allow us to set aside money for something.
A door fee for Circuit events is dependent on what we plan to do with the money. If we want to extend payout to other high placers and build a pot bonus, it should be $10 (to encourage OOS travel). If we want to buy pizza or other snacks, I think $5 dollars would be sufficient.

Perhaps we can use $10 for Circuit events to build a pot, and $5 for the tourneys in-between if we are interested in my bimonthly idea.

Membership fees are to be paid as entrance to the first meeting tourney.

4) What should we do with the money? I am not for any sort of "player fund," but I do like the idea of a pot bonus, as well as setting some money aside for my abortion clinic.
I don't like the idea of a player fund. Perhaps in the middle of the circuit though, if high level players are confirmed for attendance, we can bring a top top player as a gift to them for coming to this hellishly hot city when we as a community have failed to travel out of Texas (save for Edgar, DoH, JF, Houston)

5) What should we name the circuit? If we have only one per month, we'll need a separate series of names for the non-circuit events. I am happy picking a different esoteric reference for each name, but I think one name, combined with a numbering system, would be more beneficial for both recognition and organization.
I'm not a big proponent of esoteric references (though I did like Non-Stop Infinite Climax). A recurring name should be used for the Circuit. I think a recurring name can garner, dare I say, prestige if we hold thoroughly enjoyable functions.

Memorable tourneys have always had this convention: Pound, FC, RoM, No Johns. Wait, I don't think this actually supports my opinion, but I still stand by it!

6) Should we host these only in Austin, or should we recruit other cities to host parts of the circuit? I believe Houston has some interest, and I think moving the circuit from location to location would encourage travel and give every city its share of the circuit. However, I selfishly want to just host them here because I don't like car rides.
We should host these in Austin. I like traveling, but I feel uncomfortable letting our tourney series in the hands of other cities. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're less capable or anything, I have trust issues.

However, I think other cities might have healthier Melee scenes, and are closer to states boundaries.

Maybe I've changed my mind. We can try letting other cities have a tourney or two.

7) Should we include additional games? I personally would prefer just Melee, but turnout will be greater and a stronger sense of professionalism will be derived if we add games like Brawl, SF4, MvC3, etc. If we do run additional games, how should we separate them from Melee, and who should we have run them? Obviously, a game like Brawl would be easy to run by simply asking an Austin smasher (Zigsta or whomever) to run the event for us separately. Perhaps the same can be done for additional games.
Arcade UFO tourneys have about 25 attendees on average, and that's with a $2 entry fee. It's lame.

MVC3 meets every other week with SSF4:AE meeting on the offweeks.

One solution to some of the problems above is to have one circuit event a month and, on that event, charge a door fee as well as use the MBR ruleset. The remaining meetings can be venue-fee-free (mouthful) and, should we have any tournaments, be run however we want.

Anyway, while I like the idea of a circuit, I think we need to have answers to these questions. In particular, does anyone think we should have our September 3rd event be part of the circuit? Since none of these questions have definite answers yet, and since the event is only two weeks away, it may be best to wait until September 17.
September 17, wey.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'll edit this post with a full response later. Why don't you like a pot bonus? The idea is to take several tournaments venue fees and apply them to one big tournament to encourage attendance.

For example, if we had $1000 saved from venue fees, we could guarantee $600 for first, $300 for second, and $100 for third. This would encourage attendance from out of state.

On the Circuit, I want to run the MBR ruleset solely because of it's established history of producing consistent results in tourneys.
I have some idealistic problems with this. I feel that running the tournament with the MBR ruleset just because it's the accepted standard, especially when I disagree with the ruleset, is just going to perpetuate things. At the same time, I don't feel that it's realistic to expect to change anything (although I'm sure everyone would have said the same for anyone who's ever changed anything), so I am somewhat inclined to just give up on this issue. I'm "tired of fighting," so-to-speak.

I think having one per month is a bad idea. The WATO series in Florida, which is regularly attendend by Hbox, Colbol, and (not as regularly) Shiz runs on this schedule and the attendance has dwindled despite these big names attending. I think it's because they happen too often.

I'm for a Circuit tourney every two months (high stakes) , a lesser tourney
in-between (medium cost), and a regular club meeting in-in-between (free).

These events can be used as promotion for the big tourney and might encourage people to attend the tourney if we start promoting our club and club meetings.
I need to give this more thought, but you have mostly convinced me here. One every two months sounds like a good idea, and encourages people from other cities to attend (since they won't have to drive long distances as often).

A door fee for Circuit events is dependent on what we plan to do with the money. If we want to extend payout to other high placers and build a pot bonus, it should be $10 (to encourage OOS travel). If we want to buy pizza or other snacks, I think $5 dollars would be sufficient.
I don't think a $10 door fee is necessary, although if you think it's possible without decreasing turnout I'm not necessarily against the idea.

Membership fees are to be paid as entrance to the first meeting tourney.
Uhh, that's a bad idea. We can't really figure out who is a member and who isn't. In my opinion, we should just forego membership fees entirely. The cost of maintaining this club is quite low, so we can just take donations from active members.

I don't like the idea of a player fund. Perhaps in the middle of the circuit though, if high level players are confirmed for attendance, we can bring a top top player as a gift to them for coming to this hellishly hot city when we as a community have failed to travel out of Texas (save for Edgar, DoH, JF, Houston)
Well, I think a better solution would be to start some sort of "donation" service for a particular player. This would avoid crossing that line between spending the door fee on a person (which seems unfair to most people) by turning it into a personal choice: "if you want to see Mr. Pro at this tournament, donate some money!"

We should host these in Austin. I like traveling, but I feel uncomfortable letting our tourney series in the hands of other cities. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're less capable or anything, I have trust issues.
I agree here.

MT_

Smash Ace
1) How should we go about creating the ruleset? On the one hand, I am hugely opposed to the MBR ruleset because I think it's unfair. On the other hand, there is a sense of "official"ness to running a circuit, which I think would require us to follow the majority-ruleset (although I am also disinclined to call any ruleset "official").
I think we should ask other cities their opinion on the rulesets. If they don't mind attending a tournament running the No John's ruleset, then we should pioneer tournaments running that ruleset so we can test it out. I feel it's a little early to say and we need to do some testing to see how the two rulesets will affect tournament results and turnout. But firstly I think we need to get the opinions on other cities regarding rulesets and how it would or would not affect their turnout.

2) How frequently should we host these circuit events? I was thinking it would be manageable to have one at every event, but that may be too much. I think having at least one per month is a good idea.
I agree with Jose on this one; once per month really devalues each individual tournament. If we really want each circuit tournament to count, then we should space them out, once every two months sounding reasonable. This of course doesn't stop us from running some other non-circuit tournament in between circuit tournaments.

3) Should we charge a door fee? If so, how much? If we charge a door fee at every event, the less committed players will stop coming. On the other hand, a door fee at every event will allow us to set aside money for something.
I think a door fee isn't really necessary unless we are using it to buy pizza or something. I feel like the money you pay should come back directly to you directly in some way, whether it be paying for the venue ($5 to rent a room, lol) or pizza or whatever. I don't think it's fair to the casual players if we collect their money to sponsor a pot bonus for a tournament that they probably won't even attend, or collect their money for some other things that they probably won't ever take advantage of because they are just their casually.

4) What should we do with the money? I am not for any sort of "player fund," but I do like the idea of a pot bonus, as well as setting some money aside for my abortion clinic.
Again, something to immediately benefit the club... I don't really see a pot bonus as particular good, because I don't think we'd be able to raise a high enough amount of money, and I think that we are still in the beginning stages as a community to really attract OoS players or whatever anyway. I just really don't think we need to raise more money than we need, at least until our community becomes bigger and more consistent.

5) What should we name the circuit? If we have only one per month, we'll need a separate series of names for the non-circuit events. I am happy picking a different esoteric reference for each name, but I think one name, combined with a numbering system, would be more beneficial for both recognition and organization.
Yeah I think we need a consistent name for each tournament, numbered.

6) Should we host these only in Austin, or should we recruit other cities to host parts of the circuit? I believe Houston has some interest, and I think moving the circuit from location to location would encourage travel and give every city its share of the circuit. However, I selfishly want to just host them here because I don't like car rides.
We should start off only hosting in Austin, and if the circuit gets big enough and other cities have interest in hosting our circuit tourneys, then we can let them host our circuit tourney.

7) Should we include additional games? I personally would prefer just Melee, but turnout will be greater and a stronger sense of professionalism will be derived if we add games like Brawl, SF4, MvC3, etc. If we do run additional games, how should we separate them from Melee, and who should we have run them? Obviously, a game like Brawl would be easy to run by simply asking an Austin smasher (Zigsta or whomever) to run the event for us separately. Perhaps the same can be done for additional games.
I'm against running other games for now. Again, maybe in the future if our circuit gets a little more well known, we can add other games. But while we're starting out, just melee seems to be enough to keep our hands full.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I'll edit this post with a full response later. Why don't you like a pot bonus? The idea is to take several tournaments venue fees and apply them to one big tournament to encourage attendance.

For example, if we had $1000 saved from venue fees, we could guarantee $600 for first, $300 for second, and $100 for third. This would encourage attendance from out of state.
ah, I wrote pot bonus but I meant player fund. sorry for the confusion. i'm not against it.

you do bring up a good point, though, serendipitously (****yeah I spelled this right on the first try :awesome:); with regards to money, I'm for extending payouts to top 6, at least.

I think a door fee isn't really necessary unless we are using it to buy pizza or something. I feel like the money you pay should come back directly to you directly in some way, whether it be paying for the venue ($5 to rent a room, lol) or pizza or whatever. I don't think it's fair to the casual players if we collect their money to sponsor a pot bonus for a tournament that they probably won't even attend, or collect their money for some other things that they probably won't ever take advantage of because they are just their casually.

Again, something to immediately benefit the club... I don't really see a pot bonus as particular good, because I don't think we'd be able to raise a high enough amount of money, and I think that we are still in the beginning stages as a community to really attract OoS players or whatever anyway. I just really don't think we need to raise more money than we need, at least until our community becomes bigger and more consistent.
mmm, I like pizza . I think we can build up $1000 in about 5 Circuit tourneys with $10 venue fee. perhaps we can have every sixth tourney with a pot bonus.

Kal

Smash Champion
****, I forgot to edit out the phone thing! I was thinking the pot bonus tournament would be a national-scale tournament, which we would advertise at least six months in advance. This would obviously require us to have saved up some actual funds, so I think hosting it next summer, and making the thread for it in January or so, is a good idea.

As for frequency, I think that you have made a valid point, José. If we do host it once every two months, and if we want to collect money for something, then the venue fee will necessarily be somewhat high. However, if we aren't interested in a pot bonus or anything similar, then we can just avoid any venue fee at all.

As far as name goes, everyone start thinking of names! We'll probably take a vote in the future.

José, I edited my earlier post with responses to your answers.

A door fee can be seen as a payment to the TO for his services, etc. Ideally, we wouldn't need to charge a venue fee, but there isn't actually anything intrinsically wrong with charging a fee.

I'm not interested in turning a profit, but would you say there is something wrong with someone charging a door fee in order to turn a profit? I'm sure you'd say that there's nothing inherently wrong with it, and that it's up to the TO. I would say the same for collecting money for a future tournament.

However, I will probably need to give it more thought.

I can agree with the last point you make about the size of our community, but I don't agree with the premise that we can't raise enough money to attract out of state players. Suppose we decide to host something next summer, and, starting on the 17th, we have one event every two months (which is less often than I had previously planned). Suppose further that the turnout is mediocre, at 20 entrants per event. Then we'd have a total pot bonus of $540. That is a conservative estimate, and it would surely attract the closer states, and possibly some players who are farther away.

We should start off only hosting in Austin, and if the circuit gets big enough and other cities have interest in hosting our circuit tourneys, then we can let them host our circuit tourney.
Agreed. However, if we are taking venue fees for a pot bonus, then it will be difficult to decide how exactly we will go about combining these from different cities.

I'm against running other games for now. Again, maybe in the future if our circuit gets a little more well known, we can add other games. But while we're starting out, just melee seems to be enough to keep our hands full.
I agree here as well.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
nvm .

I paid for the 3-month premium membership fee, around $3 to change my name, and it has been green every since. this was like, 7 months ago but don't tell the m o d s.

Kal

Smash Champion
How did you get your name green, José?

Thanks! <3

Is your text automatically that color, or do you manually include the [color=] HTML thing in there each time?

Sybawave

Smash Ace
God damit guys, why is it that each time I come into this thread y'all have these huge *** posts...isn't there an AMS group made for situations like these?

Btw, regarding door fees, Kalo had a great idea that we should start using those as a payment plan to fly in people from OOS that are good. Get some attention.

Kal

Smash Champion
First of all, Kalo had no great idea. We've already discussed this (it's called a "player fund") and it's a terrible way to use the door fee.

Second of all, every time there's any discussion going on here, you come in and post some comment about how long our posts are. It's annoying. The fact that you're the only Houston poster capable of forming a complete sentence does not mean that you should comment every time the posts here are long.

Also, oh my ****ing ****, all my posts are red. Like Jesus' blood.

Kal

Smash Champion
Maybe I misunderstood. Other than using the door fee, how are we going to use the circuit events to fly players from out of state in?

MT_

Smash Ace
A door fee can be seen as a payment to the TO for his services, etc. Ideally, we wouldn't need to charge a venue fee, but there isn't actually anything intrinsically wrong with charging a fee.

I'm not interested in turning a profit, but would you say there is something wrong with someone charging a door fee in order to turn a profit? I'm sure you'd say that there's nothing inherently wrong with it, and that it's up to the TO. I would say the same for collecting money for a future tournament.

However, I will probably need to give it more thought.
Hmm, I am actually not too clear on what is customary regarding TO's turning a profit. I guess I would have to say I would expect the TO to be simply doing it without expecting payback, but then again I also wouldn't mind if the TO did profit from the event, given that the event was well run and enjoyable.

But I think there is an issue here because we are a UT club running the tournaments, and I'm pretty sure that we're not allowed to profit individually from the club, like keeping venue fees for ourselves or something like that.

In any case, I'm not too keen on the pot bonus idea with the unnecessary venue fees (would actually prefer a player fund, though not by much), but it wouldn't stop me from paying a venue fee to enter the tournament.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm hugely opposed to a player fund, but I think this topic just requires more discussion. On the 3rd maybe we'll sit down and discuss it.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha, Jesus' blood is red? Man, that ***** is rainbow inside.

I like pot bonus.

I have some idealistic problems with this. I feel that running the tournament with the MBR ruleset just because it's the accepted standard, especially when I disagree with the ruleset, is just going to perpetuate things. At the same time, I don't feel that it's realistic to expect to change anything (although I'm sure everyone would have said the same for anyone who's ever changed anything), so I am somewhat inclined to just give up on this issue. I'm "tired of fighting," so-to-speak.
Oh. While I don't agree with the No John's ruleset, I'm willing to run tournaments with these rules in place to prove that it fails to provide consistent results and that it skews character usage. The problem is, how often should we run with the No John's ruleset and what will be the reception by the players?

If the majority likes it, then **** it, run everything with this ruleset. I'm all for letting players have a good time at our tourneys despite any idealistic differences we may have concerning competitive play and statutes.

I need to give this more thought, but you have mostly convinced me here. One every two months sounds like a good idea, and encourages people from other cities to attend (since they won't have to drive long distances as often).
:bee:

I don't think a $10 door fee is necessary, although if you think it's possible without decreasing turnout I'm not necessarily against the idea.
I think $10 only for the Circuit events, if we let the smaller tourneys and meetings have no door fee, should be near sufficient to meet our goal for a substantial pot bonus ($1000). I'm all for stirring that pot.

Dropping it lower and I think that it might affect the perception people have of circuit events in comparison to any meeting our non-circuit tourney.

Uhh, that's a bad idea. We can't really figure out who is a member and who isn't. In my opinion, we should just forego membership fees entirely. The cost of maintaining this club is quite low, so we can just take donations from active members.
you've convinced me.

Well, I think a better solution would be to start some sort of "donation" service for a particular player. This would avoid crossing that line between spending the door fee on a person (which seems unfair to most people) by turning it into a personal choice: "if you want to see Mr. Pro at this tournament, donate some money!"
I like this idea. Eventually we'll need to go about which pro (if it wasn't immeadiately obvious, DoH :troll:) to sponsor.

Kal

Smash Champion
you've convinced me.
This is all I got out of your post.

In all seriousness:

Oh. While I don't agree with the No John's ruleset, I'm willing to run tournaments with these rules in place to prove that it fails to provide consistent results and that it skews character usage. The problem is, how often should we run with the No John's ruleset and what will be the reception by the players?
It seems unlikely that the results of this ruleset would not be consistent enough. I don't see any reason why this would be true. And that it "skews character usage" seems unlikely: character usage is already predominantly top and upper-tier only. I suppose you could think that the stage list would force Fox-only, but that similarly seems unlikely to me (especially since most of the stages have almost no real character-specific theory developed, except for Fox).

If the majority likes it, then **** it, run everything with this ruleset. I'm all for letting players have a good time at our tourneys despite any idealistic differences we may have concerning competitive play and statutes.
I'm more for maintaining the game's integrity than conforming to a ruleset because the majority wants it. These idealistic differences are why I was interested in finding my own venue. When I see that outcome is severely impacted because of my ruleset, I think "oh well, it was worth it; the game's integrity is preserved," whereas others tend to think "well it's not worth preserving if the turnout is severely decreased."

I think $10 only for the Circuit events, if we let the smaller tourneys and meetings have no door fee, should be near sufficient to meet our goal for a substantial pot bonus ($1000). I'm all for stirring that pot.

Dropping it lower and I think that it might affect the perception people have of circuit events in comparison to any meeting our non-circuit tourney.
I don't understand what you mean about the perception people might have if the door fee is $5.

I like this idea. Eventually we'll need to go about which pro (if it wasn't immeadiately obvious, DoH :troll:) to sponsor.
I've changed my mind on this. I would rather spend the money on moving JF out of Texas.

Kal

Smash Champion
Guys, do we need additional TVs? I saw some ads on Craigslist offering free TVs. We need a place to store them, but I think it could help.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Guys, do we need additional TVs? I saw some ads on Craigslist offering free TVs. We need a place to store them, but I think it could help.
I would be more than happy to hold on to one, although I won't be able to make the meeting on the 3rd.

Kal

Smash Champion
I like it. A few changes I would suggest:

1) "FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT texas.smash.club@gmail.com"
2) Remove the whole "Smash World Forums > Smash Tournaments ..." thing. If we could perhaps purchase a domain name that redirects here, or just start a website, that would be better. But I think this part is a little unnecessary.
3) Write "Smash Club" instead of "Super Smash Bros Club", or instead just write "Super Smash Bros. Melee"
4) Include the location of the event.

Also, has anyone thought of names for these events? I'm going to start the circuit event's thread soon. Should we use a numbering system for naming the non-circuit tournaments, or do people think that's unnecessary?

MT_

Smash Ace
We can always tinyurl the smashboards thread. In fact, I'll go ahead and do that real quick.

I support advertising as Super Smash Bros. Melee, seeing how none of us at interested in having Brawl setups at the meetings.

I think for non-circuit events we should just have fun with the titles. If we can't come up with anything for lack of creativity, we can just be like "Smash Club Touranment 1" or something lame like that.

Kal

Smash Champion
Ok guys, we need to come up with tournament names by Saturday. I can create the thread during the meeting if we come up with a good name. Also, I'm hosting a Smashfest on Friday.

my name is green naow look guys rn't i special

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
[Collapse="original"]
[/collapse]

[collapse="updated wip"]
[/collapse]

more critique plz

sadly, I'll be in san antonio getting my braces tightened and buying **** with my parents' money! so I can't make it. saturday morning I'll be back though for the smash meeting.

also, cool beans with the name kal, why'd you green it up?

Kal

Smash Champion
Because it's awesome. A few more things:

1) Either write "Super Smash Bros. Melee" or "Smash Club." I don't think "Smash Bros. Melee Club" looks or sounds good.
2) After "or contact texas.smash.club@gmail.com" you could add "or visit http://tinyurl.com/utsmash."
3) I don't personally like writing "noon - 11 PM." I think "from noon until midnight" or "from noon until 11:00 PM" would look better.

Mostly, it's just a matter of making the thing look professional, like the guys writing it actually have something in mind.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I can make the meeting on Saturday, but not Kal's smashfest on Friday. Saturday I'll be at the Zilker Park botanical garden in the morning but I'll be at the meeting during opening.

MT_

Smash Ace
Singles

1: Tirno ($63.00)
2: Kal ($31.50)
3: Reqy ($10.50)
4: MT
5: JF
5: JOS
7: Sethlon
7: Admiral
9: Anupam
9: Justin
9: perfectengrish
9: GlibbyGlobby
13: JCast
13: Mousse
13: Vash
13: Tarzan
17: eMiLy
17: Denti
17: Gar
17: White kid
25: Nate Chan

http://i.imgur.com/R34IJ.gif

Doubles

1: Blarabs (Kal + Tarzan) ($56.00)
2: Pure Platinum (Tirno + Reqy) ($16.00)
3: Houston Classic (Sethlon + Kalo) ($8.00)
4: Curry Con Carne (JOS + Anupam)
5: Hannah <3s White Power (GlibbyGlobby + Foof)
5: Mango Smoothie with Lychee Jelly (Admiral + MT)
7: Atheist Jesus Freak (JF + perfectengrish)
7: Justin and Vash - the Team (Justin + Vash)

http://i.imgur.com/drsWq.gif

Kal

Smash Champion
Now, for our next order of business:

What should our circuit name be, and when should we host it? Obviously, we want this to be on a day where there is not a home football game. Yesterday was so much trouble thanks to that stupid ****ing sport.

We could name the circuit "NSIC," as that name has a reputation now as being a decent tournament, with Axe explicitly saying it was one of his favorite tournaments ever.

MT_

Smash Ace
I don't mind naming it NSIC, just be wary that the name is a reference to that Bayonetta game or whatever and might not really be relevant anymore.

Also, can someone put the bracket images in the result thread OP? Or at least the links to the images (they're in my post above).

Kal

Smash Champion
The links are there, just click on "Singles" and "Doubles."

As far as the name being a reference to Bayonetta, I don't think that's particularly important. If the name is good, I don't think anyone will say "yeah, but it's a reference to that old game, Bayonetta." Especially since most people hadn't heard of the game in the first place.

MT_

Smash Ace
Oh I didn't notice the links lol. Might have to do with the unique font color the UT Smash Club account has.

Also, I want to comment on the brackets a little bit. There shouldn't have been a 25th place in this tournament. The reason there is a 25th place in this tournament is because there were two first round matches right next to each other than didn't have byes involved. This makes it so those two also have to play in the first round of losers, instead of getting a bye in the first round of losers. Nateychan, if we did the bracket better, should have also tied for 17th.

Furthermore, I think the seeding could have been done a little better. As far as I know, we do seed based on maybe the top 4 or 5 players, but I think that's a little unfair to the "B-tier" skill level of players. For example, I don't think that I should have played Sethlon in the first round (neither of us got byes?) and Tarzan should not have played Jose in the first round. Whereas Admiral and Emily both got byes in the first round, and then played each other in the second round. This resulted in Admiral (Hannah) getting 7th in the tournament, tying with Sethlon.

In any case, Houston had voiced some complaints to me about the bracket, and I think their complaints are justified. One look at the results and how messed up they are should be evidence enough of that. Yes, the results are pretty accurate for the higher placements, but if we only pay attention to accuracy for those placements, I think it's pretty unfair to the other players that got bracket-screwed when it was easily avoidable.

tl;dr - We should pay a little more attention to how the bracket is set up so the results don't get super messed up.

Top Bottom