• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kal

Smash Champion
Ok, will do.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287927

I'm definitely making a paint rage about Edgar's Falcon d-throw tech chase ad nauseam. Also about his over all absurdly gay Falco.

Also, with regard to the tournament, I'm interested in doing a circuit. Would everyone please provide input on the following questions?

1) How should we go about creating the ruleset? On the one hand, I am hugely opposed to the MBR ruleset because I think it's unfair. On the other hand, there is a sense of "official"ness to running a circuit, which I think would require us to follow the majority-ruleset (although I am also disinclined to call any ruleset "official").

2) How frequently should we host these circuit events? I was thinking it would be manageable to have one at every event, but that may be too much. I think having at least one per month is a good idea.

3) Should we charge a door fee? If so, how much? If we charge a door fee at every event, the less committed players will stop coming. On the other hand, a door fee at every event will allow us to set aside money for something.

4) What should we do with the money? I am not for any sort of "player fund," but I do like the idea of a pot bonus, as well as setting some money aside for my abortion clinic.

5) What should we name the circuit? If we have only one per month, we'll need a separate series of names for the non-circuit events. I am happy picking a different esoteric reference for each name, but I think one name, combined with a numbering system, would be more beneficial for both recognition and organization.

6) Should we host these only in Austin, or should we recruit other cities to host parts of the circuit? I believe Houston has some interest, and I think moving the circuit from location to location would encourage travel and give every city its share of the circuit. However, I selfishly want to just host them here because I don't like car rides.

7) Should we include additional games? I personally would prefer just Melee, but turnout will be greater and a stronger sense of professionalism will be derived if we add games like Brawl, SF4, MvC3, etc. If we do run additional games, how should we separate them from Melee, and who should we have run them? Obviously, a game like Brawl would be easy to run by simply asking an Austin smasher (Zigsta or whomever) to run the event for us separately. Perhaps the same can be done for additional games.

One solution to some of the problems above is to have one circuit event a month and, on that event, charge a door fee as well as use the MBR ruleset. The remaining meetings can be venue-fee-free (mouthful) and, should we have any tournaments, be run however we want.

Anyway, while I like the idea of a circuit, I think we need to have answers to these questions. In particular, does anyone think we should have our September 3rd event be part of the circuit? Since none of these questions have definite answers yet, and since the event is only two weeks away, it may be best to wait until September 17.

Suspect

Smash Hero
There WAS an appropriate place, the thread got locked before I could ask anything.
All I know is that some **** went down at Nikefest.

I honestly don't care that much, I'm just curious.
If it was locked, then was it an appropriate thread? :troll:
My thead was a joke thread, I made it to mock a thread that was made about m2k(that was the serious thread) which also got locked. I have no problem with Jamal or his anger issue, and the Texas brawl community knows this.

garrR

Smash Apprentice
Ok, will do.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287927

I'm definitely making a paint rage about Edgar's Falcon d-throw tech chase ad nauseam. Also about his over all absurdly gay Falco.

Also, with regard to the tournament, I'm interested in doing a circuit. Would everyone please provide input on the following questions?

1) How should we go about creating the ruleset? On the one hand, I am hugely opposed to the MBR ruleset because I think it's unfair. On the other hand, there is a sense of "official"ness to running a circuit, which I think would require us to follow the majority-ruleset (although I am also disinclined to call any ruleset "official").

2) How frequently should we host these circuit events? I was thinking it would be manageable to have one at every event, but that may be too much. I think having at least one per month is a good idea.

3) Should we charge a door fee? If so, how much? If we charge a door fee at every event, the less committed players will stop coming. On the other hand, a door fee at every event will allow us to set aside money for something.

4) What should we do with the money? I am not for any sort of "player fund," but I do like the idea of a pot bonus, as well as setting some money aside for my abortion clinic.

5) What should we name the circuit? If we have only one per month, we'll need a separate series of names for the non-circuit events. I am happy picking a different esoteric reference for each name, but I think one name, combined with a numbering system, would be more beneficial for both recognition and organization.

6) Should we host these only in Austin, or should we recruit other cities to host parts of the circuit? I believe Houston has some interest, and I think moving the circuit from location to location would encourage travel and give every city its share of the circuit. However, I selfishly want to just host them here because I don't like car rides.

7) Should we include additional games? I personally would prefer just Melee, but turnout will be greater and a stronger sense of professionalism will be derived if we add games like Brawl, SF4, MvC3, etc. If we do run additional games, how should we separate them from Melee, and who should we have run them? Obviously, a game like Brawl would be easy to run by simply asking an Austin smasher (Zigsta or whomever) to run the event for us separately. Perhaps the same can be done for additional games.

One solution to some of the problems above is to have one circuit event a month and, on that event, charge a door fee as well as use the MBR ruleset. The remaining meetings can be venue-fee-free (mouthful) and, should we have any tournaments, be run however we want.

Anyway, while I like the idea of a circuit, I think we need to have answers to these questions. In particular, does anyone think we should have our September 3rd event be part of the circuit? Since none of these questions have definite answers yet, and since the event is only two weeks away, it may be best to wait until September 17.
it would be awesome if we ran other games. i play sf4 and mvc3 also.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't know how to adequately run games like SF4 and MvC3. These games are patched, right? Is there a way to tell if a console is running the latest patch without an internet connection? Do you require both consoles to be present at the tournament, or is one of the two the "standard" one?

But if the turnout would increase significantly I would probably be willing to host tournaments for other games. We don't know if there's sufficient room for that sort of thing anyway.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, A.R.K. IV is coming up September 17th-18th in Jacksonville, AR! We are expecting ~200 people with games such as Melee, Brawl, BlazBlue:CS II, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9, SSF4:AE, Street Fighter 3rd Strike: Online Edition, and more! Smashers are coming in from several states to compete!

Note that our tournament is working on securing sponsorships from well known companies which will each be providing additional prizes and bonus pots for our tournaments. The Traveling Circus has expressed interest as of this time. Also, well-known regional modder DaRabidDuckie will be on hand to provide dual mods (PS3 <-> 360) for fight sticks.

If you have ANY questions, please post on the official tournament thread here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308992
I'd normally respond to replies on this thread, but I'm so busy with Med. School that I don't have time. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional Smash community as a whole. Thanks guys!

garrR

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how to adequately run games like SF4 and MvC3. These games are patched, right? Is there a way to tell if a console is running the latest patch without an internet connection? Do you require both consoles to be present at the tournament, or is one of the two the "standard" one?

But if the turnout would increase significantly I would probably be willing to host tournaments for other games. We don't know if there's sufficient room for that sort of thing anyway.
i'm not sure how tournaments handle the patch issue. i'd imagine you can check it somewhere inside the game itself, but i don't know.

as for the console issue, usually a tournament just picks either xbox or ps3 and sticks with that one console.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
i'm not sure how tournaments handle the patch issue. i'd imagine you can check it somewhere inside the game itself, but i don't know.

as for the console issue, usually a tournament just picks either xbox or ps3 and sticks with that one console.
360 is standard for both EXCEPT in the case of Evo or tournaments that want to be like Evo. I know Evo is the pinnacle of Capcom fighting game tournaments, but trust me, the 360 version of the game runs better and NOONE would complain if Evo switched to 360 (while pros often complain that it's being run on PS3).

The best way to handle the patch issue is just to connect each console to the internet prior to the tournament. It'll automatically download the patches and then you can just unplug them and play normally.

nateychan

Smash Rookie
I'll bring the dice.

In another note, I'm not sure if the club is registered. The UT info page doesn't say it is not registered so I'm guessing we're good to rent rooms.
Sup dudes,

I'm new to smashboards but I love smash, just moved into UT and I've been dying to play. I'm great by casual standards, but I'm sure I'd get ***** by yall xD and I'm cool with that. I know some basic technical ****, L-cancelling teching wavedashing etc.

If we get that club started up definitely let me know because I'd join in a heartbeat, or if we're just playing somewhere send me a pm or whatever and I'll try to be there.

Peace out!

MT_

Smash Ace
Sup dudes,

I'm new to smashboards but I love smash, just moved into UT and I've been dying to play. I'm great by casual standards, but I'm sure I'd get ***** by yall xD and I'm cool with that. I know some basic technical ****, L-cancelling teching wavedashing etc.

If we get that club started up definitely let me know because I'd join in a heartbeat, or if we're just playing somewhere send me a pm or whatever and I'll try to be there.

Peace out!
Awesome! We love newcomers.

Keep checking this thread. We usually play either on campus at Welch (unsure if that will happen this year) or on West Campus which (if you're still unfamiliar with UT and its surrounding area) is literally right next to campus. We will also commonly play at Kal's apartment, which is like a 10 minute drive, but it will be easy to find someone to give you a ride there.

I'm sure I can speak on behalf of the UT/Austin smash community when I say we're looking forward to play with you!

Anyways, just keep checking this thread. All of our get-togethers get posted on here. I think our official thing will be on September 3rd, but it's very likely something will happen this weekend.

nateychan

Smash Rookie
Awesome! We love newcomers.

Keep checking this thread. We usually play either on campus at Welch (unsure if that will happen this year) or on West Campus which (if you're still unfamiliar with UT and its surrounding area) is literally right next to campus. We will also commonly play at Kal's apartment, which is like a 10 minute drive, but it will be easy to find someone to give you a ride there.

I'm sure I can speak on behalf of the UT/Austin smash community when I say we're looking forward to play with you!

Anyways, just keep checking this thread. All of our get-togethers get posted on here. I think our official thing will be on September 3rd, but it's very likely something will happen this weekend.
Awesome, can't wait!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13231449#post13231449

This is our tournament on the 3rd. I'm trying out a new ruleset for the funsies. Which character do you main?
Sheik.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
another smash player, another EE major?

and welcome to our community! we have smasher information on the first page so you can get acquainted with us, I guess.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I can't tell if you're serious or not about that player being a girl lol...

What the hell is up with the sudden influx of females into the Texas Melee scene?

Kal

Smash Champion
Glad to see no one answered any of my circuit-related questions.

Kal

Smash Champion
Doors open at 12:00. We're probably going to use the FAC Auditorium. We'll have a Melee tournament that day. The thread is here.

However, we play almost exclusively Melee. I recommend The Austin Brawl Thread if you want to play Brawl.

nateychan

Smash Rookie
LOL so Austin doesn't have a girl? xD ggs
I'm a dude, sorry to disappoint. Nateychan was a nickname given to me by a friend, idk if -chan is a female japanese suffix or anything xD

Edit: Also anything going on this weekend?

Top Bottom