• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Edgar, your method of using gamecube action replay codes is definitely better than my ARloader method (I got ARloader to work with first party memory cards but it failed to start up sometimes and it takes forever to input AR codes manually). Thanks for sharing it!

I modified your method a little...using NeoGamma instead of GeckoOS mod (works basically the same but NeoGamma can load GC backup DVDRs too), and using the homebrew app Cheat Manager v0.3 to convert txt file with decrypted AR codes to gct file. Seems to work like a charm.

Kal

Smash Champion
GeckoOS can load Gamecube backups. I remember there being a cIOS/cMIOS or something which would allow you to play backups from the disc channel, which allows GeckoOS to run backups as well.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Can GeckoOS load multigame ISO DVD-Rs? I got 6 gamecube games onto one DVD-R and can load with NeoGamma R9 beta47. (In case you're interested: I ripped the GC games to USB external HDD with CleanRip homebrew app, shrunk the ISOs with GCMUtility, and generated the multigame ISO with Gamecube MultiGame ISO Creator v3.5.4f+.)

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
I won't be able to make it to the first meeting, since I have work, but I'm coming back to UT in the Fall. I know, no one cares.
Hopefully I can attend some tourneys before then, I usually work every weekend. =/
Good luck with the rest of the meetings this semester.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
GeckoOS can load Gamecube backups. I remember there being a cIOS/cMIOS or something which would allow you to play backups from the disc channel, which allows GeckoOS to run backups as well.
So it's possible to play custom Melee ISOs on a hacked wii? I've been wanting to try Melee with new textures for a long time.

Kal

Smash Champion
So it's possible to play custom Melee ISOs on a hacked wii? I've been wanting to try Melee with new textures for a long time.
Yes, this has been possible for a while now. Texture editing Melee, however, is rather difficult when compared to how it is done in Brawl.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
OK a little bad news, the TV is 720p so there is some lag.
I ordered component cables but idk how much of a dif they'll make.

Kal

Smash Champion
The TV probably has a "game mode" or something which should reduce lag. Combined with the component cables, it should be ok. I think it would be a good setup for "Almost Melee" or whatever they're calling it.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
we'll see how we divide the setups once we're actually there.
1 from me.
3 from kal
1 from rohan
1 from brandon
your tv is huge
1 from matt?
2/3 from edgar?

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
how much advertising has been done Jose?
haven't seen any fliers around campus.
there are several thanks to dean.
there are two in rlm, i saw one in front of the union, I fixed one by welch, and I don't know where else dean put them honestly.
what I noticed though is that the student government people who are up for election got these big colored thick paper ads, about 11x15, and stapled them on top of our and several other club fliers. I guess it was just a bad week for advertising 'cause nearly every kiosk is covered with them. when the election stuff dies down I'll hand over some papers to everyone to spread the work and cover more area.

thanks dean.

Shiameyo

Smash Rookie
Yeah I looked and it seems like a lot of the ones i put up (stapled, so I know they didn't fall) were taken down. I put 2 per kiosk, one in Jester, one inside the union, and one in painter. There were 21 in all. Next time i'll put more up i guess. On the bright side, I've seen many of the tear-offs on some of them have been taken.

Also, I think it would be a good idea on the day of the meeting to put a paper on the 1.502 room or whatever that tells them to go to the new room. That way anyone who may have gotten the wrong info would know where to go.

Pretty sure I won't be able to make it to the meeting. If I do it'll be late afternoon.
I can bring (or someone can steal it from me) my old melee texture hacks if someone has a hacked wii. Like I said before, mine is still broken so I can't bring my Wii. I plan on getting a better pack of textures on a CD soon, just not this week.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
lol, well that explains it, only buildings I go to are Sanchez, Parlin, Calhoun and the Business school, occasionally the Union.
I'd be happy to put up fliers in those buildings.

On a side note, I'm using Young Link next time I fight a Jiggs, which is almost never.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah Brandon, I have the universal remote. It should work with your TV.

Also, I need help transferring my TVs. I don't think I can fit all three in my car.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Brandon, I have the universal remote. It should work with your TV.

Also, I need help transferring my TVs. I don't think I can fit all three in my car.
I offered to help you a few posts back. I forgot JF lived close to you, so if he helped you it would be better. However, if it's not possible, I can take one of the TVs.

Kal

Smash Champion
JF said he'd help, so I think we'll be fine. I'll bring two TVs and JF will bring the third. If anyone has extra gamecubes or copies of Melee, please bring them so that we don't have unused TVs.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was gonna start setting up everything at around 1. So we should all meet outside WEL 3.502 (the shell auditorium) at 1 with all the junk. We also need extension cords and surge protectors I guess. help me you guys! what do we need?
I'm guessing tables and I don't know what else.

Kal

Smash Champion
JF and I will be outside of Welch around 1:00. We'll bring 3 TVs and two setups (and an extra Wii, but it's missing the RCA cables, so if anyone has an extra that would help).

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Gonna be in Austin today, if my friend feels like stopping by I'll give someone a call since I don't know anything about the UT campus.

Kal

Smash Champion
Rohan, I'm going to continue our discussion from the other thread here:

Well obviously you can't expect everyone to like it, but it makes no sense that so many more Melee players like it on the East coast compared to down here, and its not fair...
Sometimes you have to behave like an adult, accept that your friends don't necessarily like all the same things you do, and move on. Crying about it, trying to reason with them about how they should change their opinions (which aren't even determined rationally in the first place), isn't going to change anything.

If I lived up there I wouldn't care that some few Melee players don't like it, because I know that there are others close by that do. Not the case with Texas, partly because of Brawl's despicable stranglehold on the entire state.
And what about that 99.9% of people that tried it at Pound V were positive about it?
What about them? Do you think they'd prefer to play it when Melee is available? And do you honestly think it's a valid argument that lots of other people like it, so that we should as well?

It's hard for me to accept it because I don't feel like you've played it enough yet.
Hell, I didn't like Melee for a while either until I played it a lot more, then I grew to like it.
With Brawl I didn't just write it off, I played it for about a year before finally deciding it wasn't for me.
I'm not going to play a game for a year before I formulate an opinion about it. You see, whether or not you like something is not a decision you make, it's about how you feel. When I play Project M, my brain doesn't register fun. That's all there is to it.

Why are you so interested in Project M anyway? You gave us the same spiel with Brawl+, so many of us just see it as you jumping on the next Brawl-hack bandwagon. And, like Brawl+, we don't foresee the game being as enjoyable as Melee, so we won't expect to play it much.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Why are you so interested in Project M anyway? You gave us the same spiel with Brawl+, so many of us just see it as you jumping on the next Brawl-hack bandwagon. And, like Brawl+, we don't foresee the game being as enjoyable as Melee, so we won't expect to play it much.
But this ISN'T like Brawl +, B+ was supposed to be more like Brawl with just the gay elements removed, this hack is actually a recreation of Melee, which is what you wanted Brawl to be in the first place.
And foresight is nothing compared to actually trying the game out, I'm not saying for a year, but not just for 10 minutes...

Again I'm going to john that because we're in Texas I have no one to back me up, but I'm fairly certain that one of the developers could give a stronger argument than I could.

btw, if we're going to talk about this, I don't wanna do it here.

Top Bottom