• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kal

Smash Champion
Rohan, I'm not comparing it to Brawl+ in content. Rather, the comparison is drawn from the way you behaved after the release of Brawl+, insisting that we similarly "at least try it." And I'm not going to keep explaining why it's not important that we try the game for an extended period of time before we make a decision on whether we enjoy it. Whether it's enjoyable is obvious immediately.

Also, this is a social thread. If you don't want to discuss it here, then where?

SAX

Smash Ace
not really sure where else to put this but, is there a smash scene anywhere near the university of north texas? It's in denton like an hour north of dallas

Shiameyo

Smash Rookie
not really sure where else to put this but, is there a smash scene anywhere near the university of north texas? It's in denton like an hour north of dallas
Not sure. When I went to TAMS we had a good number of people playing melee everyday (in our dorm), and there were a couple tournies at bruce every once in awhile. There might be a small scene on campus, but I never heard of much. Then again I didn't look (I was scrubby didn't-know-how-to-L-cancel-correctly material [not that that's changed... but still]).

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I have a friend that goes there and he says there's a sizable Brawl scene, although this was a couple years ago.
He won a tourney there with his G&W and thought he was the ****, then I ***** him with my Toon Link, lulz.

Kal

Smash Champion
Everyone, JF challenged me to a $100 money match for Saturday, best of 5 Marth vs. DK. GET HYPE!

Kal

Smash Champion
so what do you get if you win?

$100, José. Hence the term "$100 money match."

And JF, when you lose you have to promise to both:

1) pay me the money
2) not go into super emo mode

However I would prefer that you actually do go into emo made, making it a double victory for me.

Asphidel

Smash Rookie
Heyo guys, this is Paddy. The high school kid at the meeting. Just popping in here, mainly for the sake of (re)introducing myself. Because I'd really rather avoid the whole argument about Project M.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
ah.
in any case, i fail to see why it is so important for people to try it out. i mean, if you tell someone and they're interested and play it and don't like it, then don't say they didn't play it long enough to assess it. if they're not interested in trying it out, you shouldn't get agitated and think they're close minded.
just take it easy, dude.

reqy

Smash Journeyman
i played P:M for a couple hours back at one of those meetings at kal's. It was pretty fun but I really wouldn't play it at a competitive level.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Right now its not in a state where it can be played competitively, a lot of characters aren't ready yet, and the ones in the demo still may be tweaked some more, in addition to general features of the game itself.

btw, 100 bucks is a lot to risk for that combo fodder prone ape...

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I might be willing to put some money on Kal winning this. :p

Marth simply combos and gimps DK too easily, its 60:40 at best.
If you were to try with Link I'd give you better odds, but I have no idea how good your Link is.

Kal

Smash Champion
If I can beat his Sheik, what makes you think he'd have any luck with Link? In fact, considering how I tore his Sheik's girl parts right off yesterday, I'm surprised he wants to money match me at all.

Also Rohan, it seems like a cop-out to mention that the game isn't finished yet every time we mention a complaint. We're not particularly interested in taking seriously a game which we can't compete in, so you should either accept our complaints or not worry so much about whether we like it.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
You may have beaten my Sheik, but DK has always been my best character. It'll just be more with all the doubters. My monkey don't give a fvck.

Kal

Smash Champion
Isn't there a rule against censor bypassing?

Your DK sucks. MT almost beat it and it was the first time he ever played against DK. After he lost to you he walked over to me and asked "did you even know that DK is in this game?"

To which I replied "no."

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
That's what everyone thinks. And I like to keep it that way. The less you know, the less you can use against me. I was nervous when I was playing MT. I won't be when I play you.

Kal

Smash Champion
I find that, when you're nervous, you play more aggressively and are slightly harder to read, since you're so afraid of losing that you mix it up with actual correct play.

I ****ing hope you're not nervous against me.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
If I can beat his Sheik, what makes you think he'd have any luck with Link?
I'm just saying if his Link is solid he'd have better luck than with DK simply based on the MU.
I'm not saying he'd be able to beat you with Link, Germ is the only Link that really ****s up good Marths.

I find that, when you're nervous, you play more aggressively and are slightly harder to read, since you're so afraid of losing that you mix it up with actual correct play.
lol, I'm the opposite, I'm scared to ever approach when I'm nervous.
Like in my first set I was jittery and just kept using fsmashes hoping Neal would get hit by them, did the same in my first game against Cbass but after that I sorta calmed down and did a mix of spacing and approaching, and it helped a bunch.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm going to get this ranking thing done, then we'll edit the first post with the picture and the rankings.

MT_

Smash Ace
Rohan your Link logic is totally off considering that Marth's worst MU in the game is against Sheik.

And I second Reqy's post about P:M, except I only played it for like 10 minutes, not a couple of hours.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
No, you're just misinterpreting it.
All I did was list a character that has a better MU against Marth than DK does, I could just as easily have said Sheik, but thats too obvious. Also at the time I didn't know that Kal destroyed JF's Sheik with his Marth.
Note that I also said its contingent on JF having a solid Link, which I have no idea if he does or not.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Whoa $100 money match JF DK vs Kal Marth!? If JF loses, he may go into super emo mode. However, if Kal loses, I'm afraid he may try to commit suicide with his controller somehow right then and there, hehe.

this mm needs to be recorded...
Seconded.

About Project Melee, I think it is pretty fun but my issue with it is why would I play a game that's trying to be Melee when I could play the actual game Melee?

So, I take it the first meeting was successful? I hope to make it to the next one!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
About Project Melee, I think it is pretty fun but my issue with it is why would I play a game that's trying to be Melee when I could play the actual game Melee?

So, I take it the first meeting was successful? I hope to make it to the next one!
Because Melee doesn't have the new characters, and they're making the characters that sucked in Melee a lot better (Bowser, Kirby, Link, Mario, etc.). I know that you use ROB, so you're not out of that quotient.
Plus they answered that question in that interview I sent you.
A ton of people who wanted Brawl to be like Melee want to be able to use the new Brawl characters as if they were Melee characters.
I am glad though that people are finding it fun.

As for the second meeting, I was just thinking, there might be some issue since its the first day of spring break, we may not have a large attendance.

Top Bottom