• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
So is anyone planning anything for the Super Bowl this Sunday? I'm going to be in Austin, but I don't know who or where to go watch it. Anyone hosting?

Kal

Smash Champion
Do people want to come over for smash tomorrow? Also, how can you hack your Wii to get the C-stick working in 1P mode?

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Kal and anyone else who's interested, the links below should provide everything you need to set up action replay on your wii and use codes such as c-stick smashes in 1P mode. A couple tips: you will need a third party memory card and check the back of your melee disc to find out what version it is (find the writing "DOL-GALE-0-xx": 00 means v1.0, 01 means v1.1, 02 means v1.2). Let me know if you have any questions.

http://arschacks.com/wii_hacks/ar_gc.html
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292045
http://arcentral.net/ssbm/ssbmV10/v10.html

Also, thanks again for hosting the smashfest last weekend Kal, I had fun playing erryone! Sweeney Todd was awesome, I downloaded the soundtrack. :)

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I found a better (read: cheaper) way. There's a Gecko OS mod made by WiiPower that allows you to use Ocarina-style cheats with GC games. The codes are loaded from your SD card and all it requires is a patched MIOS. Works perfectly for Melee so far.

MT_

Smash Ace
That ****** Sybawave hasn't posted outside a social thread in like 6.66 months since he hit that post count because he's an lousy ****** that wants to retain some special number. So now he always asks me to post in his steed but I never agree to do it. At least wait until 1,337 ******!

Kal

Smash Champion
It's official, MT is now as creepy as JF.

Anyway, I can't host anything Thursday. Maybe Saturday.

MT_

Smash Ace
MuahahahahahahahaahahhaahahhahahahahAHAHAHAHAHaaHAHAHAH~H!!~IOASOIJ~OJIEDAF)()~_~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
How to get awesome Melee codes that load off the SD card:

1. Install the Homebrew Channel.
There are guides to do this. Look it up, haha. You should probably take this opportunity to install BootMii and back up your Wii's NAND flash just in case.

2. Install a patched IOS 236: http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios236
IIRC, this restores a fake-signing bug that makes installing other junk easier. Choose the option in the installer saying you're not a pirate or else it'll uninstall.

3. Install a patched MIOS: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/gamecube
I think this allows your homebrew apps to mess with the way GC games are loaded. I used the MIOS patcher with base v4. Don't think if it really matters which you choose though.

4. Install WiiPower's Gecko OS mod: http://wiird.l0nk.org/forum/index.php?topic=5823.0
This is the app you'll use to launch Melee with codes.

5. Setting up your AR codes:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292045
http://arcentral.net/ssbm/ssbmV10/v10.html
a. Get GCNCrypt: http://www.mediafire.com/?3vyy9djlnxv
b. Convert the AR codes to their unencrypted form using GCNCrypt.
c. Remove the verifier lines.
There's a program called GCN AR to WiiRD Codetype Converter that does this, but I just remove them myself. As far as I can tell, the verifier lines are just the first line of each unencrypted AR code (usually starts with something like 01 rather than 04 like the rest of the lines).
d. Save the final codes in some text file so you don't have to do this again.

6. Getting the "Debug Menu replaces Tournament Mode" code: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=296527
Magus posted an awesome code where selecting Tournament Melee in the main menu takes you to the Debug Menu instead. The unencrypted code's already in his thread, but it's only for v1.0 of Melee. Luckily, we can get the code for the other versions from the DOL offset information he posted for the code. IIRC, the first number in a code line is the address the code is modifying. We just have to adjust that for whatever Melee version you have. Here's what you do:

new address = original address + DOL Offset for your version - DOL Offset for v1.00

Just as an example, here's what I did to get the code for my version (1.2):
0422D638 = 0422C340 + 22A218 - 228F20
So the code for v1.2 of Melee is:
0422D638 38000006

I think this method should work for all the codes that Magus listed. Save these codes with the rest.

7. Make a GCT file: http://www.geckocodes.org/index.php?gct=
By now you should have a text file full of your converted codes that looks a little something like this:

C-stick in 1P Mode
0416B480 60000000

Debug Menu replaces Tournament Mode
0422D638 38000006

"Dummy" and "IceTop" playable
041C2AAC 48000018
041C284C 38600000
041C2850 48000048
Now you just need set the title ID to GALE01 (Melee's title ID), copy and paste that whole file into the "Add Codes" box, select "Add Codes", check the boxes for whichever codes you want to use, and download the resulting gct file to your Wii's SD card at "/codes/GALE01.gct".

8. Run Melee with the codes:
a. Run the modded Gecko OS.
b. Under the GC options, turn Ocarina on and set the hook to VI
c. Under general options, you can tell it to save your settings to the SD card so you don't have to turn on Ocarina every time.
d. Launch the game from Gecko OS.

perfectengrish

Smash Rookie
hey kal thanks for hosting! you didn't play much though which is sad.
I'm happy to have met new people.
hey zach, twgok is pretty good, I think I'm gonna read the whole series too.
and brandon, we should play whenever I have free time and I'm around campus. perhaps we can set up something on the first floor every now and then to play with other people's that happen to want to play. same goes to zach! but I don't know where you live.
regy, we should play sometime since you live just down the street. but you gotta give me your schedule or something since I don't like know when's a good time.
clay it was nice to see you! I still can't beat you at the falcon ditto. mm next time.
I had a great time, and we should've celebrated 'cause I forgot it was my birthday in a couple of days. pluckers was good so whatever.
thanks sharif for driving me home! thanks rohan for driving me way the hell over there.

HEY EDGAR, HOW'S THE REREGISTRATION?
Yeah dude we should definitely play some more. I'll take all the spacie practice I can get! Actually, how is re-registration going?

Kal

Smash Champion
Probably Saturday, but not for sure. I will let you know by Thursday.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
If I come to the Smash fest I'm bringin Project M demo. The spacies aren't perfect yet, but its really fun, and it does feel really really close to Melee. The other characters in the demo are sharp.

HiromanX

Smash Rookie
If I come to the Smash fest I'm bringin Project M demo. The spacies aren't perfect yet, but its really fun, and it does feel really really close to Melee. The other characters in the demo are sharp.
I was playing it last night, and all the chars seem pretty good o.o or well at least the ones I played last night (Ganondorf, Snake, and Marth). I don't play as spacies in Melee so yea no good telling there but I'd imagine they are different.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
My bro and I tried the Project M demo yesterday. It is fun. Once it is complete, I think it will be my 3rd favorite smash game behind Melee and SSB64 (4th would be brawl+, 5th: brawl-, 6th: brawl). Eager for them to add more characters.

It was funny: the first time we tried to start the demo through GeckoOS, the introduction for Melee started playing and we were like, "Cool, they changed the intro to be like Melee!!!!11" But by the time we got to the main menu and it was still exactly like Melee, we realized the Melee disc, not Brawl, was in the Wii. XD lol

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
My bro and I tried the Project M demo yesterday. It is fun. Once it is complete, I think it will be my 3rd favorite smash game behind Melee and SSB64 (4th would be brawl+, 5th: brawl-, 6th: brawl). Eager for them to add more characters.

It was funny: the first time we tried to start the demo through GeckoOS, the introduction for Melee started playing and we were like, "Cool, they changed the intro to be like Melee!!!!11" But by the time we got to the main menu and it was still exactly like Melee, we realized the Melee disc, not Brawl, was in the Wii. XD lol
There's also a hackless Wii version, I got that for the purpose if I have to play on a Wii that isn't hacked, like yesterday.
btw, Link is now absolutely AMAZING, they weren't lying when they said he has a shot at being high tier. Compared to Melee, all of his attacks are stronger and faster, his spin attack is back with the semi spike, his boomerang is now like the Smash 64 boomerang which is awesome, his bombs lead to combos like they do in Melee, his arrows are faster and knockback horizontally, he still has his zair edgehog trick and in general zair is more useful, his up-B gives more distance, he has a decent wavedash, and in general just combos much better, for example its much easier to chain uairs.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
yeah, I noticed Snake can still DACUS too, but its shorter and more difficult for some reason.
Well, I hope they keep it for the final release, its a cool technique.

Kal

Smash Champion
So are people interested in a smash fest for tomorrow? If so, I think we can start at about noon again.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'm definitely interested, think Brandon is too.

btw Kal, I'll have some mixes left over after tonight, up for some video game themed shots and drinks?

Kal

Smash Champion
Hell. Yes.

Your leftovers are still here. They still look good to eat, so you can pick them up tomorrow.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Alright thnx, btw, you should get whipped cream, lemonade and mountain dew whiteout, maybe green frosting.
I'm assuming you already have vodka.

Top Bottom