• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
looks great Kal.

lol "use of the character Metaknight is banned".

btw, I was originally thinking 2.224 would be better cuz its both huge and has cell phone reception I believe.
I'd recommend trying to get that. The reception is important since we're gonna have non-Austinites attending.

then I'll try to get it.

edit: would they give us that room? seems out of our league
\/
No harm in asking. Thing is any room on the 1st floor and below is gonna have reception issues, and I remember people complaining about that at Endless Challenge, as well as regular meetings.

Kal

Smash Champion

BRLNK88

Smash Ace

Asphidel

Smash Rookie
So, just a little suggestion about fliers. If possible, you should totally try and use the second picture, but replace Bayonetta with Captain Falcon. And the logo with the smash logo. I dunno, that might not be obvious enough, and it might not be do-able, but it would probably be better advertising and such.

Or I could be totally wrong about this. Who knows.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't think it would be any better advertising with a picture of Captain Falcon. The point of a flier is to grab someone's attention, which I think a picture of Bayonetta does as well as (if not better than) Captain Falcon.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Hot ladies always grab attention. So maybe a sexy Samus or Zelda to catch people's eyes?

FYI, if no one else has officially stepped up to the plate I can whip up a flyer in photoshop.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Here's a first draft of the flyer prepared by my brother Josh (also sent it to the club gmail)...any revisions?

Kal

Smash Champion
Change the "$10" for singles to "$10 per player" and for doubles change "$10 per player" to "$20 per team." Also, remove the payouts since they can change based on the number of entrants. I don't think we need those removable tags at the bottom.

Some people think there should be some more "smash related" things on the flier. I personally don't think it matters as long as it catches attention (as if people are going to look at the flier, see Bayonetta, remark that it doesn't properly depict the game being advertised, and decide not to come), but if Josh wants to add some additional smash related stuff that would be fine. I would prefer he keep this flier separate from the Bayonetta-only one, though.

MT_

Smash Ace
Shouldn't our flier be aiming on catching attention from our target audience: smash players? I think a smash player would be more prone to look at a flier with smash related things than one with Bayonetta (I don't even know wtf that is honestly). And furthermore, the SMALLEST text on that flier is the one that says it's a melee tournament... I think that should be changed.

Kal

Smash Champion
Cut me a break Matt. Yes, we're targeting smash players, but do you honestly think this would be more effectively done by putting up pictures of smash characters? I do however agree about the text; "Super Smash Bros. Melee" should be more visible.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yes.

Grabbing their attention is what's important. You really think Smash related pictures are more likely to grab their attention than the one above?

Also, just to be clear, we can have more than one flier each attempting to target a specific audience. I honestly think you're just *****ing for the sake of *****ing.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you, matt. but I saw a video of bayonetta gameplay and it looked like a pretty good game imo.

The flier has a purpose, and I believe that if we replace the graphic the flier would be more successful in achieving that purpose. But I personally like the bayonetta flier even though I think it might confuse prospective participants.

edit: we can have a picture with a sexy samus too. 'but she's only in brawl :mad::mad::mad:!!' it still catches attention.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I think I'll have to agree with Matt and Jose on this one, it should be Smash related, and a sexy pic of Samus is a good idea.

To me that just looks like Clay with glasses wearing a weird outfit...

Kal

Smash Champion
The point of a flier is to increase attendance. Generally, this is done by grabbing attention. How the attention is grabbed won't have an effect on attendance. Thus, it really doesn't matter what's on the ****ing flier, so long as it grabs attention.

You're basically telling me that "smashers" (keep in mind that the group "smashers" is not particularly large, hence we should be targeting the group "everyone") are less likely to look at a flier of Bayonetta than of Captain Falcon. It's nonsense.

And, since you guys aren't getting it, "Non-Stop Infinite Climax" is the name of a difficulty in Bayonetta. That's why I want Bayonetta on the flier. The tournament's name is a Bayonetta reference.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
hahaha, I remember all our fliers were covered in a couple of days. we should also have some different kind of advertising. I think we can create something on the school calendar.

Kal

Smash Champion
Also José, Bayonetta is a fantastic game. I strongly recommend trying it. The gameplay is extremely fun and deep, and the way the game forces you to play on fantastic landscapes is reminiscent of Super Mario Galaxy. By far one of my favorite games ever.

MT_

Smash Ace
Didn't know the NSIC/Bayonetta reference, but in any case I support the "use two different fliers" idea.

But for the sake of argument, Kal, I honestly think that people interested in playing smash would have their attention 'grabbed' by a flier with smash related things, as opposed to one about Bayonetta. Bayonetta may grab more attention to the general public, but chances are they'll see Bayonetta, read the flier, realize it's a smash tournament, then just go on with their day. On the other hand, smash players might see the Bayonetta, conclude that it doesn't concern them, and then go on with their day without knowing that it was actually advertising a smash tournament. Of course this is purely speculative (as is your viewpoint), which is why I support the two fliers idea. Then we can all be happy!

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Whoever attaches Bayonetta to smash related flier needs to get to get their stuff together.

Let me ask you this.

If you put Sonic on a Melee flier, what do you think would happen? People who would feel deceived. Likewise, this is smash. You don't need sex appeal to increase attendance, you need MELEE TOURNAMENT on it to increase attendance.

Use this if yall want Sex Appeal so bad.

or

I like the second one :D

Kal

Smash Champion
I've given it some thought. You guys have a point. I just want Bayonetta on there to emphasize the reference. Putting something smash related might help to increase the turn out (though I doubt it would be anything significant). For the flier, I think something smash related is fine. I'll ask Josh if he can make a separate Bayonetta related flier to place on the tournament thread.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
hey guys.

Clay sent me some stuff for it, but when u need the revised flier by? i can probly do it within the next few days.. hopefully before Friday (i fear Rebecca Black xp)

o and sig shouldn't take long either...u don't like this avi? ^heh

also, i have renewed interest in Melee and Ganondorf hehe

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Work. I have a 40 hr job. I have less time to travel with AZ. If AZ does go, I can make my flight one way, and travel back with them, but if they don't go, then I have to make a round trip. Also, there is no guarantee that AZ is going to UT as well.

Workwise, I get off at 8pm on fridays. It's a 1:30hr trip to the airport. :3

Gah. Earliest flight into Austin is at 1:30. Gayyyyyy.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Officers, I just sent to the club gmail my bro JR5's second draft of the NSIC flyer. Please take a look and provide suggestions, thanks.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I haven't :urg:
so I put this saturday's meeting in the events calendar but I don't know if that will inform anybody. I also sent a message through facebook to all the members. I don't know what it'll do but there goes!

Kal

Smash Champion
We should have another ranking tournament this Saturday.

Top Bottom