• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MT_

Smash Ace
IMO the MBR ruleset is fine. I guess that's just because I feel only the neutrals are play-worthy lol, but that's just me. Other stages (especially moving ones) promote a different playstyle that we consider "standard" that we find on neutrals. It all depends on what we individually want to see in melee: diversity and ability to cope with different playstyles/strategies that are altereted by stage, or a single standardized style of gameplay that is most commonly found on strictly neutral stages. And I fall in the latter ideology.

And I think changing the name of the tournament is a stupid idea lol

El Queso Grande

Smash Rookie
I hardly know the specifics on cps, so my analysis can probably be taken lightly.

None of the proposed banned stages have ever seemed completely random to me; all the platforms and stuff seem to follow a certain pattern. Learning these stages comes with the territory imo, even though I don't play them much heh.

And like Hylian's quote said about banned stages, a banned stage "starts over centralizing the metagame/is obviously broken and tests different skills than normal play." I don't know of any arguments that the stages in question encourage any sort of weird strategy.

Although, what Jose said about Green Greens makes perfect sense. Rainbow Cruise and Jungle Japes are fine, except grabbing the edge is tricky; but hey, there's always the barrels. XD

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Awwwweeesooooooomeeee. Get jeff though. He's the star. I'm just a novelty Luigi/Marth player that has a famous Pichu. Jeff totally evolved from me ^_~

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Awwwweeesooooooomeeee. Get jeff though. He's the star. I'm just a novelty Luigi/Marth player that has a famous Pichu. Jeff totally evolved from me ^_~
lulz, I'm a Marth/Luigi player that is known for nothing, except apparently having some decent PR...

Also, I guess I'll start calling Axe "Jeff" if he's coming, otherwise it'd be like me calling Silent Specter "Jeff".

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
haha, I actually use Luigi more to just annoy my opponents, I'm overall pretty average with him, never used him in tourney. Hiroman is a better Luigi than me. If we have a low tier side event though you and Axe would likely own at it.
Good god, Luigi or Pichu, who should I choose?! lol

Kal

Smash Champion
We should Pichu ditto. My Pichu is pretty good, although I'm sure yours is much more refined.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
lol, I saw that first one in the Pound V video thread, pretty damn intense last stock haha.

btw, our Pound V rep was Tirno, you'll def see him at our tourney.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
IMO the MBR ruleset is fine. I guess that's just because I feel only the neutrals are play-worthy lol, but that's just me. Other stages (especially moving ones) promote a different playstyle that we consider "standard" that we find on neutrals. It all depends on what we individually want to see in melee: diversity and ability to cope with different playstyles/strategies that are altereted by stage, or a single standardized style of gameplay that is most commonly found on strictly neutral stages. And I fall in the latter ideology.

And I think changing the name of the tournament is a stupid idea lol
I agree with this even thought he messed up.

perfectengrish

Smash Rookie
I thought green greens had a RETARDEDLY low ceiling...or am i just way off here lol
can fox infinite against the blocks?
or are the hitboxes large enough to hit both the opponent and break the blocks?

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
SHAAARRRRRIFFFFFF!

OMG I MISS YOU!

Dude, I now have reason to go to Austin. Sharif, I've been good. Are you going to the tournament?

Yes, my real name is Elvis. :D

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I like the MBR ruleset but one or two CP stages could be added. I know CP stages are intended to limit the opponent's options but I consider stages that few people are familiar with, reward camping, and/or make it very hard for many characters to recover to be unfair and should be banned. I think Green Greens, Pokefloats, and Jungle Japes fall into this category. I'm on the fence about Mute City; recovery can be very difficult on the part of the stage where it's just a floating platform but not sure that's enough to make it ban-worthy. Corneria seems fair to me.

Officers, you should take a look at the club gmail...I sent some info regarding organization policy.

Edit: About the tournament title, I think I prefer Non-Stop Infinite Climax. Makes it sound so hype!

MT_

Smash Ace
Oh yeah Jake those rankings don't make any sense; everyone that got byes in the tournament used to make those rankings got placed lower than they should have because they won one less match as a result of having a bye.

El Queso Grande

Smash Rookie
I miss you too Elvis. 'Tis good to see you on here, fo 'sho.

I'm able to come to the tourney, so I'm excited that you might be too! =] Get hype. XD

I probably won't make it very far, but it'll be funsies I think.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
My vote is for MBR/Pound ruleset. I think the game is most competitive when matches are as even as possible, but I'll probably be fine with whatever ruleset is picked. Though, to be honest, I'm starting to think counterpicking is an uncompetitive idea anyways.

Edit: @Jake, those rankings blow. Another piece of evidence that you can't trust math to do things right.

Kal

Smash Champion
My vote is for MBR/Pound ruleset. I think the game is most competitive when matches are as even as possible, but I'll probably be fine with whatever ruleset is picked. Though, to be honest, I'm starting to think counterpicking is an uncompetitive idea anyways.
How does limiting counterpicks keep matches even? And how is counterpicking "an uncompetitive idea?"

Asphidel

Smash Rookie
So hey, I just sorta disappeared, but since I don't really see any of you on an even vaguely regular basis, I should really find out what's going on.

So, BRLNK, thanks for finding my controller. I mean. I hadn't particularly missed it, but I was rather confused.

And, when is the next tourney/smashfest/thingy gonna be? Is there/what is the cover fee, and where is it? Have you made a thread for that yet?

Kal

Smash Champion
I've talked it out with some people and given it some thought, and I don't mind banning Green Greens. The apples falling at random, the close blast zones, and the strong encouragement to camp suggest that it's unsuitable for competitive play. A similar argument for Mute City and Jungle Japes can be made, so I am ok with adding those two stages to the banned list as well. However, none of the arguments I've found have been extremely convincing, so I am willing to return these stages to the counterpick list should new arguments arise in favor of doing so.

Keep in mind that I'm adding these stages to the banned list because I feel they are not suitable stages. Not because of arguments referring to the number of counterpicks a character has.

Thus, for the counter stage list we have:

Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

The only differences between this and the standard ruleset are Poke Floats and Corneria.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I've talked it out with some people and given it some thought, and I don't mind banning Green Greens. The apples falling at random, the close blast zones, and the strong encouragement to camp suggest that it's unsuitable for competitive play. A similar argument for Mute City and Jungle Japes can be made, so I am ok with adding those two stages to the banned list as well. However, none of the arguments I've found have been extremely convincing, so I am willing to return these stages to the counterpick list should new arguments arise in favor of doing so.

Keep in mind that I'm adding these stages to the banned list because I feel they are not suitable stages. Not because of arguments referring to the number of counterpicks a character has.

Thus, for the counter stage list we have:

Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

The only differences between this and the standard ruleset are Poke Floats and Corneria.
Hurray! The return of Corneria.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I like that stage list (guess nobody wanted to exchange FoD for Stadium).

And if there's debate in favor for green greens, jungle japes, or mute city, yet not all of us are convinced, would we settle on a counter pick list democratically?

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't think a majority-vote is particularly fair, even if we had enough people to do it (we don't).

Jake13

Smash Lord
That looks like a good stage list, kal. All those stages are legit. Mute city is by far the jankiest cp that has ever been.

And good **** on the ranking system math majors lolz

Come to whobo on Sunday and ill hit up the next ut smashfest <3

Kal

Smash Champion
Jake, the rankings are fine for 1st and 2nd. The problem with the rankings is that we seeded the tournament, so some players placed higher but are ranked lower because they got a bye (which resulted in fewer wins). This will clear up after a few tournaments.

So, is anyone interested in smash at my place tomorrow?

Kal

Smash Champion
I'll make the thread in the morning. What date have we decided? Also, can we restrict posts with the smash club account to simply informative ones? It feels less official to be posting opinions with it, especially since it's not always clear whose opinion it is. And maybe try capitalizing the first letter of your sentences when you use it? >_>

Top Bottom