• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Not only that, our attendance speaks for itself.
22 entrants for an impromptu Melee tourney, a game that's supposedly dying out in Texas.
Also all the set-ups that we're able to provide.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Hey guys, I'm going to be in Austin for SXSW starting tomorrow, but my only housing options right now are my friends in Taylor. Since the job I'm working is in downtown Austin, can anybody host me for a few nights (until Tuesday at the latest) so I can save gas? Taylor to downtown Austin is pretty far (closer than SA at least lol), plus the van I have isn't all that reliable, so the less I have to drive the better.

I wouldn't be much of an intrusion, since the job I'll be working is 9 am to 10 pm every day.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
A date should be set for Endless Challenge 2. You probably want to avoid early April due to possible AZ tournament and to allow more time for hype to build...so maybe April 23rd?

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I would attend EC2 come hell or high water. As long as it's on a saturday or sunday, that is.

Also, I have worked some on the UT smash club combo vid...maybe I could try to get it done soon and it could help generate hype for EC2.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
congratulate your unofficial ambassador, I've got Arizona, New Mexico and Arkansas interested in EC2.

Right now working on Oklahoma and Louisiana.
I'll leave you guys to handle the in-state smashers.

Lol yes we do. I would be willing to drive out there (I have family there lol) but the only problem is my car is broken down at the moment :(
The timing belt snapped and the valves bent.m Major suckage there.
But whenever it is up and running again, my bro and I could drive out there :D

90% of the time i'm the driver and arby/yoshiman are my minions so they ride with me and every blue moon seif/g.vice/chamberlin come and saberguy is when ever he feels like going, Ace requires like 4 weeks heads up to put in for leave but soon he'll be gone for 3-4 months

Noc

Smash Journeyman
You should probably take a look at other rooms...check out those with like ≥200 capacity listed in this pdf. The tourney date may need to be pushed back to May...

Kal

Smash Champion
Can someone bring me up to speed with what's being discussed? Are we planning on having a real tournament soon? If so, we should discuss who will be hosting, the ruleset, payout, doorfee, etc., before we proceed with anything.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
yeah, we're planning on having a real tournament soon. actually, it's a premature idea I've been having but it seems rohan and clay are really jumping on the bandwagon so I'm going along with it.
I originally imagined it'd be for texas only so I wasn't really thinking it was going to be a big deal. but with rohan's 'recruitment' I'm afraid it might be bigger than I originally had in mind.
I was gonna make a thread about it, copying everything from the last endless challenge thread which you made, and changing a few rules here and there to coincide with the most recent mbr ruleset.
in your last thread, all of these issue are taken care of.

Kal

Smash Champion
I can make the new thread with the smash club account as soon as we decide on a date and a ruleset. I am not a big fan of the MBR ruleset regarding stages.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
that would be sweet. I actually feel the same way you do regarding stages. I was gonna add corneria to CP stages and I was debating mute city.
I also wanted to change to rule regarding a tie (which comes up rarely). I don't like the percentage advantage. if a stock tie, I wanted to do a one stock tie-breaking match on the same stage. but I don't have much reasoning for my thought.
as far as a date goes, I was thinking Saturday, April 23.

Kal

Smash Champion
April 23rd sounds fine with me. We should ask some other officers. I think Corneria, Mute City and Brinstar should be CP stages. The tie rule almost never comes up, but I prefer it to be decided by a one-stock rematch on the same stage. I looked over my previous ruleset, and it's exactly how I would want to have it.

However, I know that some officers have different opinions. I don't want to make this the ruleset without consulting them first. Edgar might start a mutiny.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
from your previous ruleset, I was gonna add pokemon to the CP stages (so we could stagestrike), and remove Green Greens, Jungle Japes, and Pokefloats from your counterpick list.
then I was gonna change the Mage's DQ rule, with a match loss after being 5 minutes late to a match, and set loss at 7.

Kal

Smash Champion
The Mage's DQ rule isn't a big deal. I don't mind changing it to a match loss at 5 minutes and a set loss at 7. Also, adding Pokemon Stadium to the CP list is fine, although I would prefer to add Fountain of Dreams. That's debatable, and I have no idea if Pokemon Stadium was arbitrarily chosen from the neutral stages or if there is some reason for it to be added to the CP instead of something else.

Adding Green Greens, Jungle Japes and Pokefloats to the banned list is something I don't agree with. I see no reason to ban these stages.

Also, I don't mind naming this tournament "Endless Challenge 2," but I have a way better name in mind. If I have to name it EC2, I can save this better name for a bigger tournament or something.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I would actually prefer to add FoD to the couterpick list instead of stadium, it's a little small and subtly more dynamic imo. I'm with you on that.

I just think Green Green's blocks are very obtrusive. the only way to move is to jump, and characters whose movement or comboing relies on being on the ground like luigi, mario, or sheik are hindered. I understand that that is the purpose of the counterpick, but I think it's too much. this stage is just too tricky. there's also bombs and apples.

for jungle japes, the ceiling is just sooo high and the ground too low. hogging the edge is dangerous in itself, and nobody can recover low without being at risk of the stage itself.

pokefloats seems like a more obtrusive version of rainbow cruise. personally I just don't like it.

all of the CP stages kind of make your one ban pretty moot if you ask me. then if we get two bans, the whole system is just confusing.

I kinda want another name for the tourney tbh

Kal

Smash Champion
You haven't provided enough to show that these staqges should be banned. And having so many CPs doesn't make the one ban "moot." You just need to be careful. If you're up against a Peach player, you need to decide if you'd rather fight her on Brinstar or Mute City. And I agree, there will definitely not be a two-ban system.

For the tournament name, I was thinking "Non-Stop Infinite Climax."

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I like NSIC. Use it.

I guess we'll let other officer input on that matter. I just feel like those stages dictate where you're gonna come in and attack. they also dictate the distance that you can be from your opponent, or how you're going to recover. I don't like that personally, instead of a fighting ground, it's kind of like an obstacle course.

Kal

Smash Champion
Ok, then Non-Stop Infinite Climax it is. It's a Bayonetta reference, so maybe we'll throw in some Bayonetta pictures or something for the fliers.

I understand not personally liking those stages. I don't like them either. But banning them should fall upon an unbiased assessment of how they affect gameplay. Hylian words it nicely:

Hylian said:
A stage needs to be banned when it starts over centralizing the metagame/is obviously broken and tests different skills than normal play. For example Hyrule promotes circle camping, and characters have strategies there that are pretty much impossible to beat. You would have to ban that stage or lose on it to a fox no matter what.
So while you personally dislike those stages, you haven't presented an argument in favor of those stages being banned.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I know these stages don't break or heavily favor any single character, I just feel that they either add randomness or take away from the match by removing options that you would otherwise have in a neutral or what I would consider a counterpick stage.

Kal

Smash Champion
Only Green Greens in those three stages has any randomness. And obviously certain options will be removed - it's a counterpick stage. The entire premise of picking the stage is to limit the opponent's options so that you can secure a victory.

MT_

Smash Ace
What's the rationale for not having Rainbow Cruise? (Apparently the MBR didn't consider it ban-worthy, and their ruleset is pretty ban-happy).

Kal

Smash Champion
Did you use Falcon against him? Fox does well on Rainbow Cruise. That doesn't make it ban-worthy.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
So far I only got one absolute promise, Tag$ from AZ. The others are still maybes.

However, if Tag is gonna drive here all the way from Tuscon, I'd only assume others would come with him, hopefully one of the big 3.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Oh ya, the Arkansas guys said that if they're going to come to our tournament, some of us should go to theirs in early April, dunno if any of yall would be interested in that.

Kal

Smash Champion
Jake, if it's just going to be an Austin tournament then we'll use our own ruleset. However, for anything considered part of the possible circuit, or anything "official," we'll probably consult a panel of Texas smashers.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I would!!! But I'm kinda broke... Like I literally almost have $0 right now lol

Does this yellow color hurt anyone's eyes?
My post:

HELL YES, don't worry, for one thing any money you spend coming here will be made back at the tourney, and we'll have an AXE support fund to get you over here.

Also you can ride with Tag$, and we'll be more than happy to accommodate your housing for free.
Anything else you'd need? Also would Forward and Taj be interested?

Tourney is April 23rd, "Non-Stop Infinite Climax"!!!!

That sounds like fun!! I love Peach in Melee <3 Axe I'll go if you go!!
So that's 3 from AZ.

Top Bottom